Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

SteM wrote: »
    Yeah, who is arguing that point? Just saying that someone that isn't paying that amount may not want to upgrade and get tied into a new contract for a service that isn't working 100% yet.

Well, that's kind of stating the obvious isn't it?

UPC don't really care about that.........it's not gonna hold up this "project" if some people don't go for it. It looks like there are plenty who will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Can someone confirm please if you need to surrender your current digibox or can you keep it "just in case" ?

I only recently got a HD+ box from them and would like the reassurance that if the Horizon box is acting up I can reconnect my HD+ and go back to what I had.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Kildare Red

Got the email which went out last week but didnt get any this morning :mad:

Can anyone PM the number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

kippy wrote: »
    Well, that's kind of stating the obvious isn't it?

Weird, I kind of thought you were stating the obvious to me when you said

'They'll have plenty people who are already paying the minimum fee happy to be the first to get this box.'.

This is a discussion forum, people make comments, argue points etc. I simply don't understand why UPC are asking some people to upgrade and have to pay more per month to trial a system that hasn't even had it's bugs ironed out yet. If a company wants someone to 'trial' a system properly and have them send feedback etc then they don't start the trial by having some people pay more per month. I've never heard of a tech trial like that. That makes me think it's not a trial anymore, just a way of getting people to upgrade to their new system. Which is fine, but they should at least say that's what this is all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PaddyM7

Am in the same boat here. Got email saying I was accepted on the trial but no email today. Would really appreciate the number by pm if someone would share ;-) Shoody work by UPC on this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

For the people not getting emails today, maybe theyre planning a second wave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭Evilbart

Meesared wrote: »
    For the people not getting emails today, maybe theyre planning a second wave?

Yeah was thinking this myself they would not want to send out all the emails in one day and have the lines totally swamped,I would imagine they send them out in batches according to alphetbetical order or the area you live in,as a matter of interest did anyone outside dublin receive the email today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Evilbart wrote: »
    Yeah was thinking this myself they would not want to send out all the emails in one day and have the lines totally swamped,I would imagine they send them out in batches according to alphetbetical order or the area you live in,as a matter of interest did anyone outside dublin receive the email today
    County or city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I was just on to them & was told that I'd have to pay an extra €19 a month on top of what I'm currently paying. He then proceeded to tell me that what I'm paying (I have loyalty discounts) is a mistake. When I told him that the price I pay is what I agreed with loyalty dept he still said it was a mistake! When I said I wasn't interested in the trial he said that he'll have to get someone to check out my current pricing & ring me back as regards increasing it!. So I don't know whether this was some sort of ploy or scare tactic, so I'll see if I get a call.

I asked how long the trial was for & was told that once you're on it that's it. He said there was no three month trial. You will have changed your bundle, entered a new 12 month contract & there's no going back. When I said so it's not a trial at all, the guy just said eh well...you get free installation & the chance to experiece Horizon before anyone else & €90 credit on your bill.

So much for that then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Hmmm righto here is the shizz :D

You will get the full tv pack and 100MB broadband for 73.50 per month 12 month contract.

In return you get 102 credit.

So basically if you are paying full price at the moment for the tv and broadband this is a good deal, if you have a (loyalty) discount on your account maybe this wont be a good deal.

My bill at the moment is 54 Euro for basic pack HD tv and 60MB broadband so cant justify the upgrade. Works out an extra 130 quid a year...for year 1 and 235 a year onwards, no thanks

edit: me and cushie having the same experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Any chacne someone could PM me the number?
    Got my mail 3 weks ago still waiting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Will someone please PM me the number? I would be so grateful :) been waiting 3 weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Kop On wrote: »
    Can someone confirm please if you need to surrender your current digibox or can you keep it "just in case" ?

I only recently got a HD+ box from them and would like the reassurance that if the Horizon box is acting up I can reconnect my HD+ and go back to what I had.

No you can't. I was in the same situation as you, but honestly. It's been fine. It does need an update to make it a bit faster and add new features, but that's coming tomorrow / Friday, so all is good.
    It's been working fine for me and I've no problem using it full time!
    I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. You wouldn't be the only one in that situation but UPC seem pretty confident about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 danom8

Just signed up after receiving the invitation email this morning. The box is due to arrive Tuesday evening.

Om paying €66/month at the moment but I was told by the guy on the phone that this will increase to €68 regardless in summer. Everyone will be paying a bit extra. Horizon will be €70/month so I'll only be paying €2 extra along with €90 credit on my account so it's well worth it for me. I'm also upgrading to HD which I didn't have before along with doubling my broadband to 50mg.

He also told me that it's still a trial so I'm not in a new contract and can opt out at any time.

Can't wait to get home from work on Tuesday and try it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

danom8 wrote: »
    Just signed up after receiving the invitation email this morning. The box is due to arrive Tuesday evening.

Om paying €66/month at the moment but I was told by the guy on the phone that this will increase to €68 regardless in summer. Everyone will be paying a bit extra. Horizon will be €70/month so I'll only be paying €2 extra along with €90 credit on my account so it's well worth it for me. I'm also upgrading to HD which I didn't have before along with doubling my broadband to 50mg.

He also told me that it's still a trial so I'm not in a new contract and can opt out at any time.

Can't wait to get home from work on Tuesday and try it out!

You're gonna love it, PLUS, with the new software update being pushed out this week, you'll be straight onto the updated software. While current software is 'ok', I'm hearing good things about the new stuff.
    Also, they are issuing a new remote as well as the current one is pants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Thanks for those who sent me the phone number. Anyone accepted on the trial can get it installed once you get the phone number.

I signed upto:
    100mb Broadband
    Digital Max Horizon TV with HD
    Freetime Telephone

83.50 EUR for 12 months with 90 EUR credit and 2 free on demand movie rentals. Getting it installed Saturday week and i'm not around during the week.

Also, I transferred over my current discounts, so the monthly cost is only 67.50 EUR. Happy out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Any chance of the phone number please PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gar

pm the number please?

Can someone please PM me the number also will report back what was said thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I'm in the same boat as many here. Email ages ago, no email today.

Could someone pm me this telephone number please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

From facebook

UPC Ireland Hi folks. Just to clarify something regarding the emails sent today about Horizon trials: Not all customers accepted on the trial have been contacted as yet. So if you haven't received an email as yet then don't worry - we will be in touch in the near future. Apologies for any confusion regarding this. Thanks, Eamonn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

my friend who's on the trial has been offered 100mb broadband (from 25 or 30 I think) and he can kep all his current discounts along with all the free credits horizon offers for an extra 10 per month so he was paying 47 now he's paying 57 PM. Do you think that's a good deal. Are they offering 50mb with Horizon. Would that be cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Also accepted on the trial but no email. Could someone PM me the number please?

Ok that number worked thanks,getting it installed next week,my bill jumped by €4,50 to €78,50 but the credit will more than make up for that also broadband speed is being doubled to 100mb

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

Could someone please pm me the number. I'm on the trial and never got an email. Very eager to have it installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

UPC posted on Facebook that they are sending the email in batches. More emails to people tomorrow, so don't panic if you didn't get the email.

someone pm me the number if thats ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭coldcake

May request a PM too, as still no email

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

Please PM me the number too please.Thanks

Not available in my area yet. :/

• Advertisement

Sod it couldn't wait, to be installed next tuesday. My bill will be lower, just popped off new customer price in Feb and was meaning to try to get a deal and my bb gone up. So real result for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭slarkin123

Coming on Tuesday. Cant wait to try it

Anyone in Cork City get to sign up today? Or is it just Dublin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jacob55

How long are people on hold for when they call up?
    I have tried twice but had to give up both times. I don't like ringing 1890 from my mobile and being on hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Just so people are aware and I know it has already been mentioned but the person you'll be talking to is a SALES person so be prepared to have any concerns brushed aside and expect wishy washy answers to every question .... the install will take between 10 and 20 minutes, the installers will phone ahead to say they're coming, don't worry your little head, sure it'll be grand, blah blah blah. All the stuff that I heard before and which turned out to be BS.

Anyway, I've signed up so fingers crossed!

BTW, I phoned them on the 1890 number from my UPC cordless phone, I suppose it's expecting too much to say that they shouldn't charge me extra for that call which probably lasted 15 minutes including wait time and sitting on hold while the guy went to get clarification about things I wanted cleared up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

iDann wrote: »
    Anyone in Cork City get to sign up today? Or is it just Dublin :(

Yeah, it'd be interesting to see the geographical spread of the installs. In Cork city too and wondering if anyone has had it installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Another Cork dweller here, no sign of anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭spannerism

I talked to a sales agent earlier...I was on hold for about 5mins and got through.

In short, they offered me a 6.50 increase on my existing cost (I don't have sports or movies). I would keep my package the same except get a horizon box (my package is Select Extra + 50mb broadband). He did try to peddle the 100mb broadband on me and I said no thanks is there a cheaper package? He then offered me a cheaper package.

So guys, try to get a cheaper package if your not happy with the standard package they offer when you call.

Also I was told that this is a new 12 month contract.

I told them I'd think about it. I'm trying to save money...not spend it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Yes it does seem to be one big upsell. I was being offered the 100mb connection or the smaller one with a monthly cap. Two extremes. It's classic sales tactics and well, I feel let down by UPC by these games they are playing today.

So much for building up trust over the years to have this trail handled as an excuse to upsell, push and get more money out of you. Shame on UPC I say. I am very annoyed with their behaviour and borderline "sham" of a trial.

It's no more a trial then UPC is a company who care about the customer....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭coldcake

just off the phone to them and I didn't get it in the end.

I feel it is a bit of a bait and switch. The offered my 68.50 but my broadband speed would go down to 50mb from its current 60. When I said I was getting bumped up to 100mb sometime this month for a euro extra, he said he could do the 100 mb for 73.50.

I asked if I could keep my router and he said no. I tried to haggle the price but no shifting.

So basically I would be signing up for a new 12 month contract and sure I might save a few euro a month when you take into consideration the 90 euro credit but at the end of the trial I feel they would make it hard to revert to what I have now.

It left me with the feeling that you are not trialing the hardware, but the package, if you see what I mean. I watch most TV online these days so new box never really thrilled me that much.

Actually it is telling that you get through to the sales team.

Think I'll see what sky can offer in my area :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Yup can someone confirm did they carry across their discounts? It would male easier for others to get price.

Also confirm bundle

I was offered

Bb 50 mb
    Tv digital max

68.50 per month noooo movement and no carrying discount which i have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

coldcake wrote: »

Think I'll see what sky can offer in my area :)

I have the same feeling. All of my TV is watched online (Netflix, huluPlus, iTunes etc). All I need basic TV and a good internet connection. Vodafone are offering 70Mbps soon and I wouldn't be surprised if Sky did the same where possible.

It's prompted me to start the process to shop around. Really felt "let down" by UPC today.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭pelluci

Rafloution wrote: »
    Yup can someone confirm did they carry across their discounts? It would male easier for others to get price.

Also confirm bundle

I was offered

Bb 50 mb
    Tv digital max

68.50 per month noooo movement and no carrying discount which i have

I kept my discounts, but only moved up from 60mb to 100mb, everything else remained the same. Also started a new 12 month contract, so I'll have to check if I keep the discounts for another 12 months or will they end in September.

It's all a little confusing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes, they've unleashed the sales team on us and I can see that it's not going down well. Up to now it was probably friendly techies mad keen for feedback and who didn't care what package you were on but now it's raw cash they're after.

The guy I spoke to claimed he didn't know there was any trial boxes out there, that was his excuse when I challenged him on a blatantly false answer he gave to a question I asked, his story was that they were just starting the trial so as far as he was concerned there was NO boxes out there yet and they were only starting next Tues 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 allforju

I have emailed UPC twice asking to be put on the "trail" but to no avail. I did apply when they advertised at first but I was not selected. Has anybody got any tips on getting onto this trial? Cheers folks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭r0qi4162fux9kg

I also got the email earlier today and have an install scheduled for next Tuesday.

Was asking the sales guy if its possible to keep the existing modem the way it is. Using an AirPort Extreme with quite a few other bits and bobs that a really dont feel like reconfiguring.

He went off to check and came back saying its not possible and I'd have to use the in built modem within the horizon box.

Anyone else get a different response?

Also what remote are the giving with the horizon box at the moment?

Thanks,
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Was told after contacting them that I actually cant get it. Strange, City centre location and I got the email stating they were I was...What a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

Any chance someone could PM me the number also? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

never got email this morning, could someone PM me the number? cheers,

They rang back arranging a install Wednesday after telling me it's not available in my area yet!
    Happy days!

In Cork City btw!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement