Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Eamo71 wrote: »
    latest info - gone live in Switzerland http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/01/12/upc-cablecom-launches-horizon-in-switzerland/

Also follow the link - there we are at the end www.horizon.tv

AAAH!! come on UPC! We know it's 'coming soon', but when?? Just a month, PLEASE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AAAH!! come on UPC! We know it's 'coming soon', but when?? Just a month, PLEASE!

A month:eek: They said we'd have Eurosport 2HD soon, that was back in October. A couple of years more like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Del2005 wrote: »

A month:eek: They said we'd have Eurosport 2HD soon, that was back in October. A couple of years more like it
    Meant to be here in Q1 - though if I was a betting man I'd say start of Q2. We await TCP/IP's news on the beta testing front. They'll have to give it six to eight weeks minimum to see how the Swiss are getting on. So, what's the average length Of time for beta testing when the first Irish users get a hold if it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

latest info - gone live in Switzerland http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/01/12/upc-cablecom-launches-horizon-in-switzerland/

Also follow the link - there we are at the end www.horizon.tv

Coo!! I see the Swiss get Channel 5 UK from UPC.

What what what?? and we don't...

(p.s. I posted this info over here: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056846411
    Might be worth keeping it over there where it's an official UPC forum!. Not sure they monitor here any more tbh)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Friend of mine has one in Switzerland. Says it's amazing. It replaces so many pieces of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

There are a lot of British living and working in Switzerland, which probably explains this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

It has gone live in Netherlands as well ..

http://www.upc.nl/televisie/horizon-tv/#tab-vragen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

bob11 wrote: »
    It has gone live in Netherlands as well ..

http://www.upc.nl/televisie/horizon-tv/#tab-vragen

They've had it since last September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭AlanMc86

It's currently being tested by a small group in Ireland ;)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

AlanMc86 wrote: »
    It's currently being tested by a small group in Ireland ;)

Are you one of the small group. I got an update from UPC today saying that customer testing is still not up so maybe some employees are testing internally which would make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭AlanMc86

I'm not one of them but you're right it is UPC employees only. I'm probably not allowed say how many or how long it's going on for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's anything like the way they launched On-Demand, the first we'll hear about the Horizon box from UPC Ireland will be a razzmatazz press launch featuring C-list 'celebrities', then they'll finally announce it to their customers, but only when forced to do so by an avalanche of 'when can I have it?' e-mails!

Actual paying customers come last as far as UPC and information goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

They never gave a hoot about Existing customers silently let us move onto more expensive packs, have to treaten to leave to get decent rates and rarely keep us in the loop about new services. Then when the launch something, they don't keep it going with as much emphasis, how long have I been waiting for dextor series 3 upwards!

Another Horizon tidbit here. Check out the video at the end of the article. http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/01/25/fries-cable-learning-from-netflix-but-he-has-the-content/
    Mike Fries very bullish about cable and the Horizon product. Basically says it'll hand Netflix its own head. We'll wait and see.

have some posts been deleted?

Yes it looks like all the posts about it been installed in employees houses on trail seem to be gone. Perhaps a mod can confirm.

UPC probably don't want anyone connected saying "PM for details" or "It'll be April or May" for a product they haven't fully tested yet.
    Nice to know this is actually getting tested - pity about the previous boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

They probably don't want people saying Quarter 1, which becomes quarter 2 or 3 or 4 especially when it is likely only to be launched in areas with 120Mb internet available and stocks of boxes would probably be low at the start.

They probably would like to at least have a map or database of where it is available or not before the phone calls start arriving into them.

Presumably they would also like to be also able to state prices and services offered too.

As I have said before I would not make plans based on this arriving soon or agree to long term contracts with any supplier. It's best to get a true independant review before jumping into long term contracts especially based on UPCs "on demand" problems that seem to still occur.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Yes it looks like all the posts about it been installed in employees houses on trail seem to be gone. Perhaps a mod can confirm.

Not by me. However, as a rule, I wouldn't post any information about my job on Boards.ie .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Another Horizon tidbit here. Check out the video at the end of the article. http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/01/25/fries-cable-learning-from-netflix-but-he-has-the-content/
    Mike Fries very bullish about cable and the Horizon product. Basically says it'll hand Netflix its own head. We'll wait and see.

Surely this sort of service lives and dies by the content available? UPCs current On-Demand choice is pretty poor imo, Netflix UK/IE is also poor but Netflix US is much better. I subscribed to it and stayed subscribed for the content.

If Horizon is a fancy box serving they same On-Demapnd that UPC are currently providing then I won't get too excited by it. 6 tuners - nice except I don't see myself ever wanting to recore more that 2 things at once and there are so many +1 channels now that it's hardly a problem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think the idea of 6 tuners is more so that it can stream live TV to "dumb" terminals in other rooms.

bk wrote: »
    I think the idea of 6 tuners is more so that it can stream live TV to "dumb" terminals in other rooms.

Also I believe that the 2 of the tuners are reserved to help quicker channel changes by preselecting the next channel up and down. One of the big problems with the current UPC boxes is the still channel change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

SteM wrote: »
    Surely this sort of service lives and dies by the content available? UPCs current On-Demand choice is pretty poor imo, Netflix UK/IE is also poor but Netflix US is much better. I subscribed to it and stayed subscribed for the content.

If Horizon is a fancy box serving they same On-Demapnd that UPC are currently providing then I won't get too excited by it. 6 tuners - nice except I don't see myself ever wanting to recore more that 2 things at once and there are so many +1 channels now that it's hardly a problem.

But I suppose there will be people who would?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

7upfree wrote: »
    But I suppose there will be people who would?

There'll always be people who will use functionality. Content is king though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There aren't that many +1 channels on UPC and most of them I don't even watch the live channel.

Edit..

Compared to Sky there are very few. Most of the major channels on Sky have a +1,UPC doesn't. I detest watching ads so I usually record anything that isn't live and skip the ads. So for me personally the more channels I can record together the better.

There'll always be people who will use functionality. Content is king though.

most of the issues I've seen on this board in relation to cable TV centre on functionality. that's why this new box will be so important for existing customers and tempting other folks to UPC. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen people write on these boards that they don't want to go to UPC cos the Box is brutal. Content is not always the leading motivation in choosing a package. Also Sky hasn't that much of a USP anymore most of the extra channels they have I personally don't care for anyway ... and in terms of Atlantic -- there's plenty of "other ways" to get that content.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Undutchable

After many updates the Horizon box is now shaping up to fulfil it's initial promise.
    The network media player functionality has been much improved and new apps are being added regularly, facebook & twitter have finally appeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Undutchable, how does the streaming tv to other devices work? Do you need to have an app installed or can you use an ip address from the box? Have a blackberry playbook and am expecting it to only support ios and android :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Any potential release date yet?

Also, Does the Horizon box combine the STB & Router/Modem? Can't find a answer anywhere!

iDann wrote: »

Also, Does the Horizon box combine the STB & Router/Modem? Can't find a answer anywhere!

Dont' know anything about a date, but I've seen the user manual online somehwere and it does combine the STB and the Modem. There's N wifi and a 4port gigabit router!

Can't wait to get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Undutchable

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Undutchable, how does the streaming tv to other devices work? Do you need to have an app installed or can you use an ip address from the box? Have a blackberry playbook and am expecting it to only support ios and android :(

At the moment there is only an app for ios devices, android is promised but nothing for blackberry as yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

It's all Dutch to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You know we'll have different prices

ted1 wrote: »
    You know we'll have different prices

It's just an idea of the price we'll have for it here. Maybe we'll be paying a few euro more than that.

It's just an idea of the price we'll have for it here. Maybe we'll be paying a few euro more than that.
    Mike Fries said its be a "few euro extra". I think 13 euro is a bit high?

iDann wrote: »

Release date seems to be q2 here. So JUne at the latest???

Mike Fries said its be a "few euro extra". I think 13 euro is a bit high?

It does seem high. If the on demand content is vastly increased (to compete with Netflix) then they could possibly justify it I suppose.

I have a friend working for UPC but a previous post mysteriously disappeared so I guess I shouldn't repeat what he told me about dates again or maybe I will mysteriously disappear. UPC are a powerful entity.

• Advertisement

It does seem high. If the on demand content is vastly increased (to compete with Netflix) then they could possibly justify it I suppose.

I have a friend working for UPC but a previous post mysteriously disappeared so I guess I shouldn't repeat what he told me about dates again or maybe I will mysteriously disappear. UPC are a powerful entity.
    UPC can't stop individuals posting online particularly if they don't work for them. So if you have any info please do share... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Can't wait for it to come out, looks like a pretty decent UPC box at last! Wish they kept the QWERTY keyboard on the remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There's a rather nice public demo of a more recent version of Horizon in English here :

It'd give you a much more realistic idea of what they've been up to. It looks *very* slick compared to other STB software I've seen to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

English manual viewable here.

Quite a bit of detail in there. One nice thing I noticed is the return of a channel list (yay!). It's been an annoyance of mine that if you want to switch to a channel, you have to either remember it's number (unlikely), use the guide (very slow to load) or keep flipping until you reach it (very slow too, with 200 channels or so to get through).

Came across this review randomly, its in Dutch but you still get a nice feel for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Talked to some upc engineers about it yesterday and they were sceptical we'll be seeing it rolled out any time soon. They said there's lots of problems with it in the Netherlands. One laughed and said, maybe it'll be 'great' in 2 or 3 years.

Make of that what you will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6 Barrymchugh

UPC techs have recently been trained in on installing these boxes, they are being released for testing very soon now!!

UPC techs have recently been trained in on installing these boxes, they are being released for testing very soon now!!

According to a recent poster here who later deleted his posts the boxes are already being tested, mainly by UPC employees.

Calibos wrote: »
    Talked to some upc engineers about it yesterday and they were sceptical we'll be seeing it rolled out any time soon. They said there's lots of problems with it in the Netherlands. One laughed and said, maybe it'll be 'great' in 2 or 3 years.

Make of that what you will!

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/03/01/troubled-start-for-horizon-in-switzerland/

Reading from the list of problems is like reading a list of what the current box does. How retarded are they that they haven't gotten this right, this was their Big Chance™?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement