Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

We were in the same boat and resurrected our wireless router after getting somewhat disappointed with the Horizon's performance: signal not travelling as far, dropping more often, a few devices really struggling to connect etc.

It wasn't overly difficult to set it up again, though the Join/Create Network option on the Horizon box seemed to reset itself (not remember a previous setting) so there was a bit of trial and error involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭antoisspence

Mikey23 wrote: »
    We were in the same boat and resurrected our wireless router after getting somewhat disappointed with the Horizon's performance: signal not travelling as far, dropping more often, a few devices really struggling to connect etc.

It wasn't overly difficult to set it up again, though the Join/Create Network option on the Horizon box seemed to reset itself (not remember a previous setting) so there was a bit of trial and error involved.

And did doing that affect your cost at all? I can't help but think that they'd charge me extra for having both an activated router and a horizon box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

And did doing that affect your cost at all? I can't help but think that they'd charge me extra for having both an activated router and a horizon box.

I think I misread your question. The Horizon box is still our primary internet router, but only that. We added our own wireless router to the mix, which handles our WiFi.

If you previously had UPC's all-in-one device, I think someone way back in this thread said that it couldn't be reactivated without calling UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Just to clarify :

I still have my old UPC router, if I reconnect it to a different UPC point to my Horizon Box is it still active or do you have to contact UPC to reactivate it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

celticbest wrote: »
    Just to clarify :

I still have my old UPC router, if I reconnect it to a different UPC point to my Horizon Box is it still active or do you have to contact UPC to reactivate it?

To do that, you need to contact UPC and ask them to 'reconsolidate' your old router - it has been disabled/deconsolidated. UPC will then disable the wireless on the Horizon box.

It may be possible to leave your Horizon wireless active, plug the old router into an ethernet out port on Horizon and use it as a wireless repeater, but I dont have a foggiest how to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

To do that, you need to contact UPC and ask them to 'reconsolidate' your old router - it has been disabled/deconsolidated. UPC will then disable the wireless on the Horizon box.

It may be possible to leave your Horizon wireless active, plug the old router into an ethernet out port on Horizon and use it as a wireless repeater, but I dont have a foggiest how to do that.

I just plugged my linksys router into the horizon box and it works no problem, the wifi on the horizon box is still on too so I can connect to both. The linksys coverage and speed is miles ahead of the horizon box. The only issue I have (not really tried to solve it yet) is that if I want to use twonky I have to connect to the Horizon Wifi, it will not work through the linksys router.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

Synode wrote: »
    Rang UPC everyday. Had them come out and replace the box. Then when no improvement I just kept ringing them back and eventually got someone who adjusted some settings (not the channel) and it's been great since.

Gave them a ring last night and explained I was having problems with the wifi range. They connected into the box changed something (I don't know what!) and bobs your uncle my range has improved. Worth giving them a call for anyone else with similar problems

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dalkiadave

Usaint wrote: »
    Hi Dalkiadave,

In the settings go to wireless then radio, check the channel bandwidth. It is most likely set to 20/40 if so, change this to 20mhz only and click save

Cheers already tried that still cant get wifi in next room, have already had the box replaced because of another issue, so really at a loss as to what the current issue with range is. Old router got wifi up in the attic??? Box is in exactly the same place as old router and without a router connected via lan this box would have gone back ages ago!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FullofForum

Anyone having problems with VPN (PPTP)?

Since changing over to the Horizon box it appears I can only make one VPN connection at anytime using only one device at a time. I can only establish a VPN connection on another device once I reboot the horizon box.

After rebooting the horizon box, I can establish a VPN tunnel using PPTP on any one device (PC, iPad, iPhone) but not at the sametime. Whichever device I connect with first is then the only device I can VPN from until I reboot the Horizon box again.

It appears to hold\reserve the use of PPTP port 1723 for the first device that requests it. Really hoping this is an easy fix but somehow I doubt it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS: PPTP Pass through is already enabled on the router

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Maybe someone can answer this but am I able to record days in advance on the new horizon box like I could on my HD+ Box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Yes

Yes

But there is none of the menu options or buttons to view the guide on different days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

If you go to the guide you can just keep scrolling to the right. Not sure how far it goes but it's at least a week.

Alternatively you can go to the guide on horizon.tv and record from there, provided you've set it up.

If you go to the guide you can just keep scrolling to the right. Not sure how far it goes but it's at least a week.

Alternatively you can go to the guide on horizon.tv and record from there, provided you've set it up.

Cheers, annoying though, old way was much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

Cheers, annoying though, old way was much better.
    That feature will be happen using the colour buttons I was told this but it wont be for a while as this is just a trial before general release was told there looking into all problems and suggestions not available yet
    there first working on the remote and box freezing problems and wifi
    then later will work on new features
    cant say much more as would betray phone call I had with upc horizon tech working on the system
    But there is a lot of features still to be added and will be added
    They also suggested you contact upc reps direct in this form if you notice any problems and they are working on all problems
    They monitor all messages put up here and look into any problems
    But would prefer you contact them direct as it can take time to read through all in this form

• Advertisement

paulboland wrote: »
    That feature will be happen using the colour buttons I was told this but it wont be for a while as this is just a trial before general release was told there looking into all problems and suggestions not available yet
    there first working on the remote and box freezing problems and wifi
    then later will work on new features
    cant say much more as would betray phone call I had with upc horizon tech working on the system
    But there is a lot of features still to be added and will be added

Hopefully, wish the freezing would stop, error codes 8182, 8062 would stop, better menus, quicker guide, fix the players, broadband stop dropping.... just couple of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

I got a call from customer loyalty on Monday (I had been negotiating with them re my package).

Guy rang because I had previously expressed an interest in Horizon tv. Anyway, he rang to tell me that Horizon will be launched next week and would ring me back next week to get me hooked up if I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭nakano3153

I got a call from customer loyalty on Monday (I had been negotiating with them re my package).

Guy rang because I had previously expressed an interest in Horizon tv. Anyway, he rang to tell me that Horizon will be launched next week and would ring me back next week to get me hooked up if I wanted.

They can't seriously be thinking of launching this box next week, can they? Unless they come out with a major update that fixes the critical flaws, and addresses the UI design, they will face a massive backlash from unsuspecting customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PacificRooster

nakano3153 wrote: »
    They can't seriously be thinking of launching this box next week, can they? Unless they come out with a major update that fixes the critical flaws, and addresses the UI design, they will face a massive backlash from unsuspecting customers.

Seems premature alright, unless new customers get a tier 1 product and we're tier 2.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I've decided to return the Horizon box, channel browsing and recordings being dropped is just so bad that I'm returning to the old HD DVR box and its much less cumbersome user interface. I've also been having issues with Netflix and "no internet connection" that requires a box restart. I've had enough! Maybe I should try out Sky as they've been knocking on my door with offers recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

quenching wrote: »
    I've decided to return the Horizon box, channel browsing and recordings being dropped is just so bad that I'm returning to the old HD DVR box and its much less cumbersome user interface. I've also been having issues with Netflix and "no internet connection" that requires a box restart. I've had enough! Maybe I should try out Sky as they've been knocking on my door with offers recently.

Has anybody here had SKY and moved to horizon

I'm UPC BB and SKY TV (no HD subscription, €15 is not worth it) and if I move to UPC digital max with HD and horizon, its saving me €10 per month

I love the SKY box interface, apps and boxes and SKY do have more HD channels than UPC but I was intrigued by the small savings and the horizon itself

Is it worth switching from SKY to horizon? I have a smart TV and apple TV so not interested to much really in that functionality from the horizon. I use my own router at the moment, so I could keep that up and I was planning to anyway

Now, i'm not so sure. I HATED the UPC interface previously and had to get away from them because of it, SKY does excel in this area. What i'm getting at, is the horizon interface able to keep up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Is it possible to turn on the Horizon box with a Harmony remote? I've been able to control it (bar the missing info/guide buttons etc) but I still need the Horizon remote to switch on & off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

quenching wrote: »

You should have stuck with it. Everything out of the box isnt meant to be hunky dory, i though that's understood from the start. Its because of these issues you experience they can work to resolving them to enable them to push out a final sooner. people giving back their box prematurely doesn't help the project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Seems premature alright, unless new customers get a tier 1 product and we're tier 2.:(

I presume the physical box will be unchanged, I'd imagine the trial is to iron out the kinks in the UPC software before it goes on full release. If that's the case, then presumably those of us on the trial will still get whatever software upgrades are going out to the rest of them.

It does seem premature though.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭lar77

You should have stuck with it. Everything out of the box isnt meant to be hunky dory, i though that's understood from the start. Its because of these issues you experience they can work to resolving them to enable them to push out a final sooner. people giving back their box prematurely doesn't help the project.

The basic issues like freezing boxes, sound dropping, scheduled recordings not happing, series links getting deleted, remote not working, etc etc etc should have been ironed out long ago while the box was on test in Holland or the year since it's been released there, or even while it was on test in Switzerland. The only thing that should have been on test here at this stage was localisation issues. If they haven't fixed the main universal issues or didn't know about them in the first year I don't hold out much hope they'll get it right any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

lar77 wrote: »
    The basic issues like freezing boxes, sound dropping, scheduled recordings not happing, series links getting deleted, remote not working, etc etc etc should have been ironed out long ago while the box was on test in Holland or the year since it's been released there, or even while it was on test in Switzerland. The only thing that should have been on test here at this stage was localisation issues. If they haven't fixed the main universal issues or didn't know about them in the first year I don't hold out much hope they'll get it right any time soon.

Thats exactly why I'm returning it, its been around long enough elsewhere to have the basics fixed, some things are just plain stupid and shouldn't have made it past developer testing, never mind be still hanging around after a year of testing in Holland. I've tried it for 6 weeks, its majorly flawed, I've passed on feedback to UPC several times, so its now going back.

If, as mentioned earlier in the thread, the Horizon box is going on general release shortly, then UPC must be stark raving mad :eek:

Are reminders working for anyone? Never worked yet for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I've got to agree with Larr77 and Quenching.. This box has been on the market and in use long enough for the bulk of the issues to have already been resolved. If UPC are to bring this to market next week as has been mentioned it will be a complete disaster for them. Sure the back lash in the Netherlands (I think its there) was so bad that they've changed from only offering the horizon box on the top tier packages to offering the old box + router combo. I will take a stable basic box over a bugs filled fancy box. Honestly, I can't understand how SKY have reliable, simple and fast boxes for so long and UPC still haven't managed to catch up... It boggles the mind!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

who_me wrote: »
    Are reminders working for anyone? Never worked yet for me.

The reminder display comes in the top left corner.

It doesn't change the channel, like the old system used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Is it possible to turn on the Horizon box with a Harmony remote? I've been able to control it (bar the missing info/guide buttons etc) but I still need the Horizon remote to switch on & off.

yeah, i turn the box on / off with my harmony one remote no problem.

• Advertisement

ciaran75 wrote: »
    yeah, i turn the box on / off with my harmony one remote no problem.

Thanks.

Weird.. the other controls work fine, but I need to power on/off via the Horizon remote. I'd have thought if I messed anything up, the remote wouldn't work at all.

Paulw wrote: »
    The reminder display comes in the top left corner.

It doesn't change the channel, like the old system used to.

Ok, nothing is appearing for me, and I've set up several. Thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The project has been going on for 12 months at least......if you read the swiss and deutch fora youd see issues that are mentioned in this thread are still yet to be resolved there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I've had very few issues with mine. WIFI range was an issue initially, but have had no problems since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Usaint

Hi Who me
    U can change the way the reminders work in the settings menu. I'm in work at the moment but I think you'll find it in the menu, settings, horizon box, preferences, recordings and reminders.

If this is wrong, I'll check when I get home, I'm sure I saw it in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Usaint wrote: »
    Hi Who me
    U can change the way the reminders work in the settings menu. I'm in work at the moment but I think you'll find it in the menu, settings, horizon box, preferences, recordings and reminders.

If this is wrong, I'll check when I get home, I'm sure I saw it in there.

its in settings, your reminders might be set to off as default

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Does anyone have the problem when scrolling through the guide, when holding either up/down on the remote, when you stop it keeps scrolling? I ran UPC about it and they said it should only continue for about 3 channels.. Mine skips around 10-15 usually, sure the other day it got stuck on a loop of scrolling through the channels. I started the vid about a min into the scrolling, also pressed back/ok a load of times... eventually stopped it. This has happened a few times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

To fix that scrolling do the following

Menu>Settings> Horizon HD+ Box>Extras>Advanced and turn off roulette wheel mode. Reboot and you're sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Taking the piss so he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

No Extras option on mine either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

HD Channels recently I had all HD channels on TV Package select extra
    Only Discovery HD was not available rest were
    now only have
    RTE 2 HD
    TG4 HD
    BBC 1 HD
    BBC 2 HD
    also last night TG4 HD was frozen on some film with picture that was a bit naughty lol
    had to do factory reset to fix but it got stuck on install had to turn on off a few time to get it running
    Anyone else notice
    1.HD Channels only above now available
    2.TG4 HD anyone else notice image frozen and was your image a naughty one lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

also last night TG4 HD was frozen on some film with picture that was a bit naughty lol
    had to do factory reset to fix but it got stuck on install had to turn on off a few time to get it running
    Anyone else notice
    That was true blood , not a film.
    I thought it was just my tv and was raging, it was just coming yo the most climatic point .

So with true blood and due hard 5 both dropping off before the end that's twice I have been let down ( although it may be TG4 fault)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Guide is **** recently, no shows on the next hour visible. This box is wearing thin on me. The dropping on the media server is terrible when I am recording something. Its a joke, have tried different wireless channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

I was in a friends house the other day and he had the Sky HD box and the difference in ease of use and functionality was crazy. It's a joy to use. So easy, everything makes sense and very few button clicks required etc. I rang Sky out of interest and they gave me a 12 month offer that beats what I'm paying with UPC by €50 a month so I have decided to cancel and return Horizon. Too many niggly bugs and unreliable wifi got to me in the end. A nice idea but not well executed and so many design and layout mistakes.

I'm well aware that this is a trial and bugs are to be expected but in my opinion, if Horizon was working as it should, it would still be well behind the Sky box. I've followed this thread daily, cheers for the updates etc,it's been a great help!

I'm off to the dark side!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PacificRooster

breeno wrote: »
    beats what I'm paying with UPC by €50 a month

Very interesting :rolleyes:.
    I've always been put off by the ugly sky dish bolted on wiggly niggly - but €50 saving a month that's alot! Come on UPC - fix this flippin' thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

breeno wrote: »
    I was in a friends house the other day and he had the Sky HD box and the difference in ease of use and functionality was crazy. It's a joy to use. So easy, everything makes sense and very few button clicks required etc. I rang Sky out of interest and they gave me a 12 month offer that beats what I'm paying with UPC by €50 a month so I have decided to cancel and return Horizon. Too many niggly bugs and unreliable wifi got to me in the end. A nice idea but not well executed and so many design and layout mistakes.

I'm well aware that this is a trial and bugs are to be expected but in my opinion, if Horizon was working as it should, it would still be well behind the Sky box. I've followed this thread daily, cheers for the updates etc,it's been a great help!

I'm off to the dark side!

Say goodbye to decent Internet speeds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

HD Channels recently I had all HD channels on TV Package select extra
    Only Discovery HD was not available rest were
    now only have
    RTE 2 HD
    TG4 HD
    BBC 1 HD
    BBC 2 HD
    Anyone else notice

Im the same with the missing HD channels.
    Are we not supposed to have them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

gar wrote: »

Not unless you have a HD subscription, this was complimentary as part of the trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

I'm in a similar space, only I'm considering jacking in the tele altogether.

50mb broadband and anytime world phone is only €47 a month.

Will use Freesat/Saorview for tele, the vast majority of pay channels are awful.

What will keep me with UPC for tv, if they're listening, will be a continuation of the ESPN deal, such that the BT Sport channels are included with the top tier package ;) Then at least I get eurosport and some additional premium hd sports coverage for my €35 a month...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭derekbro

gar wrote: »

I have the same, I pm'd UPC: Reps last night and they replied this morning that they have sent a refresh signal to my box to fix it. Not at home to confirm if it worked though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement