Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Horizon Set Top Box trial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

ted1 wrote: »
    If you filled up the form online then you ticked the terms and conditions saying that you would not talk about it.

All done over the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

linky https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/ wonder if any existing users can log in yet

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

thefishone wrote: »
    €2.50pm,but the reward should more than make up for it;)

thanks for that following this thread for a while so was a happy bunny when i got the mail this morning:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

iDann wrote: »
    Just downloaded the apps, they seem good and fluid but can't do much without having the box :p

Where'd you get 'em???

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruamar

Rafloution wrote: »
    linky https://www.horizon.tv/en_ie/ wonder if any existing users can log in yet

Have tried, just got the message that login is currently not possible

Just a few other questions, will you continue to receive the same package channels as you are currently subscribed to or will trialists get the full package?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭iDann

Where'd you get 'em???

Netherlands app store :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

Got accepted here too!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Am I the only person who got rejected? :(

devnull wrote: »
    Am I the only person who got rejected? :(

How do you know if you got rejected? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

That's what the email said anyway.
    Thanks for the enthusiastic response folks, everybody got accepted... Except for devnull and iDann.
    Yours sadistically,
    UPC

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    That's what the email said anyway.

Hehe, I got accepted, but my uncle never got a response so I'm wondering if he got rejected like him!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

SteM wrote: »
    Originally Posted by Mikey23 viewpost.gif
    Ditto. Now, what to do with all the unwatched recordings on the current box...
    Good point, never thought of that. .
    Your old (D4A) box will keep on running until the end of the trial period and you decide to switch over to Horizon or return to your old subscription.

Should be mentioned in the policies...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

How do you know if you got rejected? :(

Got an email saying they got a lot of people applying and will not be accepting me at this stage in the trial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

devnull wrote: »
    Got an email saying they got a lot of people applying and will not be accepting me at this stage in the trial.

Aww, shite. Sorry. It'll probably be crap anyway. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

It's the way we got it, anyone I know has it either works for UPC or knows someone who does in a management capacity.

I don't work for UPC and the someone I know told me that was the condition I would get it on.

I dont...applied via Facebook

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭johnner09

my mate applied two weeks ago and he was accepted on Friday, he said he got an email or something off them. he has his cable split inside the house to two boxes upstairs. I told him he'd want to get it sorted before the techies come around but he just shrugged his shoulders and said he'll just tell them it was like that already????

Anyone have a idea what the reward is yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

same here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

johnner09 wrote: »
    my mate applied two weeks ago and he was accepted on Friday, he said he got an email or something off them. he has his cable split inside the house to two boxes upstairs. I told him he'd want to get it sorted before the techies come around but he just shrugged his shoulders and said he'll just tell them it was like that already????
    If they are 2 UPC boxes, then he is paying for them. Eitherway, the installers wont care. They will just connect up their kit to the main incoming cable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 116 ✭✭elmoslattery

Did he do that himself or did UPC do it? The boxes don't work unless the subscription card is in it anyway, so I assume he is paying for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭johnner09

Did he do that himself or did UPC do it? The boxes don't work unless the subscription card is in it anyway, so I assume he is paying for it...
    he did it himself and yes he's paying for two boxes as multiroom, he wouldn't pay the installation fee and ordered two self install subscriptions, next thing a courier and two boxes , set himself up and it's like that since!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

he did it himself and yes he's paying for two boxes as multiroom, he wouldn't pay the installation fee and ordered two self install subscriptions, next thing a courier and two boxes , set himself up and it's like that since!!

Sounds exactly like a self install to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

I have 3 boxes at this stage, got two when I signed up and then went for multi room got a third. Third one is just sitting there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭coldcake

I got a.email on friday to say i was accepted, however it was in my junk email. So keep an eye out as i nearly missed it. Have to find out the details bwfore i sign up like how much more expensive its going to be and will it mean a new contract and how will my bundle be affected

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Hi All,

Does anyone know how may ethernet ports are on the horizon box?

I hope to still use my wireless router as only about 6 months old and have heard some dodgy things about the wireless on the horizon box, i think you can get them to set it up that way from reading posts here.

Would it be possible to continue to use the 4 ports on my current router and also use ports on the horizon box. Basically i've run out of ports for all my applications (NAS, BluRay, Xbox, AV Receiver etc..) and was about to buy a switch but if i could use both i'd have loads and save me the cash.

Would this work???

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

ciaran75 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anyone know how may ethernet ports are on the horizon box?

I hope to still use my wireless router as only about 6 months old and have heard some dodgy things about the wireless on the horizon box, i think you can get them to set it up that way from reading posts here.

Would it be possible to continue to use the 4 ports on my current router and also use ports on the horizon box. Basically i've run out of ports for all my applications (NAS, BluRay, Xbox, AV Receiver etc..) and was about to buy a switch but if i could use both i'd have loads and save me the cash.

Would this work???

Thanks,

If your current wifi router is your DHCP server (it gives your devices their IP addresses) then I don't think you won't be able to use the Horizon box's extra ethernet ports. A switch shouldn't set you back more than €40 (like this one) I have an older version of the one I linked mounted on the wall behind my TV (PS3, Blu-Ray, PC, uplink to my router and two feeds to the rest of the house) and it works fine.

If you're using the UPC box as the DHCP server and your wireless router just as an access point then you should be able to use any ports on the Horizon box.

Horizon support pages in English

http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/en/support/product-overview/horizon/

It has a built in router so yes the ethernet ports should be active.

Install Instructions showing everything you need to know.

http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/content/dam/www-upc-cablecom-ch/Support/manuals/en/hrz/upc-horizon-user-manual.pdf

Quick guide here

http://www.upc-cablecom.ch/content/dam/www-upc-cablecom-ch/Support/manuals/en/hrz/upc-horizon-quick-guide.pdf

Twonky help references are quite amusing, pointing to the fact its buggy and if problems occur reset the whole box

Disclaimer

I'm assuming its the same model we are getting :D

thanks guys,

Might just go ahead and buy the switch, one on komlett for €26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

The post by Rafloution clearly states that you can use the ports on the Horizon bhox when coupled to an external router. I cant see why you would buy another switch unless the 6 ports (you'll need to use one on each to connect them together, I woudlnt use wireless) is not enough

https://support-en.upc-cablecom.ch/app/answers/detail/a_id/5331/p/644,645//session/L3RpbWUvMTM2NjAyNDY0Ni9zaWQvWjdFT3lNbmw%3D

https://support-en.upc-cablecom.ch/app/answers/detail/a_id/5335/

Something is happening in UPC towers..

horizon.tv is now working with a UPC login must be from Irish IP address for it to work. Also it's restricted to what your current plan is so it isn't a free for all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Got rejected over the weekend (enough volunteers already bla bla). Pity as I was eager to give it a go

The post by Rafloution clearly states that you can use the ports on the Horizon bhox when coupled to an external router. I cant see why you would buy another switch unless the 6 ports (you'll need to use one on each to connect them together, I woudlnt use wireless) is not enough

https://support-en.upc-cablecom.ch/app/answers/detail/a_id/5331/p/644,645//session/L3RpbWUvMTM2NjAyNDY0Ni9zaWQvWjdFT3lNbmw%3D

https://support-en.upc-cablecom.ch/app/answers/detail/a_id/5335/

Cheers, must have been still asleep, read previous comments incorrectly.
    6 ports is loads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Nor me. I got an email from them and replied to it. Got accepted, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Rafloution wrote: »
    Something is happening in UPC towers..

horizon.tv is now working with a UPC login must be from Irish IP address for it to work. Also it's restricted to what your current plan is so it isn't a free for all

Yes wasn't there talk of an April 15th launch for it?

Splitting form the other horizon set top box thread, today April 15th sees Horizon.tv launch.

From my limited tests you can access the service using your current My UPC username and password.

Once logged you can can:
    • Access on-demand TV/Movies
    • View on-demand TV/Movies
    • Build up a playlist
    • View LIVE TV
    • Search and view TV Listings
    • Schedule recordings and view currently scheduled recordings

I am using a Mac, none of the streaming services are working correctly for me. They appear for a second, then fail. I suppose it's only live a few hours, so technical issues are to be expected.

The separate iOS app is logging in on iPhone and iPad, but video is not streaming yet - https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/horizon.tv/id549148968?mt=8

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

I've looked at Horizon user manual, I cannot find menu to access Radio channels. My present UPC box if I press Menu & I get several options including Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 WoodenShoe

Mearings wrote: »
    I've looked at Horizon user manual, I cannot find menu to access Radio channels. My present UPC box if I press Menu & I get several options including Radio.
    Try the channels above 800??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Shouldn't this be in the Horizon thread as it's been discussed there as well?

Eamo71 wrote: »
    Shouldn't this be in the Horizon thread as it's been discussed there as well?
    I was thinking that, but that thread is more about the physical box and service. People are talking about getting the trial installed and their issues around the UI etc. This to me is separate. Yes it's called Horizon is the same way it's all by UPC. But that's about it. This is a whole new way to watch UPC online. A first for them. At some point it will be linked to their Horizon hardware offering, but for me Horizon.TV is separate to their hardware offering. Tagging this onto page 30 of the set top box thread isn't helpful for anyone wishing to find out new developments and products etc. Might as well have a single UPC thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Well these are exciting times for those of us who've been following the Horizon thread for quite some time now.
    I didn't get included in the trial but my friend (who actually owns this account and let's me use as he doesn't use boards much any more) got included on it. Just rang him and while he doesn't have the new box yet he can log on using his existing UPC logon info to Horizon.tv and view live TV etc... he's also downloaded the app to his iphone.
    Bit disappointed that I'm not included but as soon as he gets the box I'll be around to his and mess around with it and let you know my thoughts.
    Congrats to all those who got included will be very eager to hear your views.

EDIT: Update from our friends in the Netherlands using it... http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/04/15/upc-plans-major-horizon-update/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Yes the App works happy days can't wait to get the horizon box GUI on the app very sleek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was just able to log onto the horizon site myself. I'll have to take a proper look after work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

No flippin android app. Don't upc realise not everyone has an iphone:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭steve_r

Don't see an Android app yet?

How do people find it so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Not working on jailbroken device

Does anyone know can you arrange stations around to your own liking

ie. RTE 1, RTE 2 HD, BBC 1 HD, BBC 2, ITV etc. rather than 101,135,141......

Streaming channels working for me on iPhone

App is great, channels are streamed great too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

App is great, channels are streamed great too!

Never mind... found it in the store (wasn't there earlier today).
    Wonder will it let me access stuff on the box. Will check when I'm home later on the same network.
    P.s Big Press announcement tomorrow from UPC. just FYI.

• Advertisement

Tried it outside the home on the DART wifi in fact. I know that blocks streaming services, but got the notice you can only stream when connected to UPC wifi.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement