Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you or have you ever been?

Options
  • 16-03-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

a mod, a Ted, a hippie, a punk, whatever came after that (for our younger members :D)?

/goes off to see how to make a poll - again!

You can pick more than one if, like me, you were a hippie and became a punk.

Inspired by all the anti-PJ threads.

Are you, or have you ever been a fashion statement? 43 votes

Mod
    0% 0 votes
    Ted
    9% 4 votes
    hippie
    4% 2 votes
    punk
    23% 10 votes
    grunge
    13% 6 votes
    other - what?
    9% 4 votes
    No!
    13% 6 votes
    pj person
    25% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Drat, I didn't realise it was multiple choice, I would have voted both hippie and No! as in having hippie tendencies - and occasional outbreaks - but most of the time I was far from being a fashion statement!

Edit: it should be identified too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I've been everything listed (bar PJ's) and more besides. Went through Ska, skinhead phases too. I have a love of clothes and of music and occasionally the two combine. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Went through the Hippie thing physically and mentally in my late teens and am now living next door to the state with the most aged hippies in the US - Vermont. But I think once you have Hippie tendencies ....... you have them for life.
    Peace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Like OG I think I have been through most of those. I was a dedicated leader of fashion. (Maybe back then I just liked being stared at?) Never was a punk though, a bit too old for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a ted?

• Advertisement

A teddy boy. Do a wiki on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This kind of thing - from 1966, oh the style! And while it is a promotional thing, its not all that overstated in terms of clothes

And the teddy boys morphed into Mods, hanging out on the corner near the chipper with their scooters, waiting for some rockers to insult.

This was the (Teddy boy/Mod) music of my youth, with the lads in the youth club doing their best to turn the church hall into a den of iniquity, endlessly practising with their one guitar, a tea-box double bass and a washboard and thimbles.

Note the turned up collars - very rebellious - and the severely tucked in blouse. Only way to get a blouse to stay that tucked in was to head off into the ladies and hotch up the skirt to pull down the end of the blouse nice and smooth. And the hours of ironing to get one of those huge smooth flared skirts smooth, and the dipping in sugar water to stiffen the net underskirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

Not sure what the bell bottomed trousers, platform shoes and shoulder length hair (picture a young Donny Osmond :o) fashion statement was called, but I indulged in it as an impressionable teenager. Oh the shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Always a suede/skin head right up to last year, When I lived abroad in hot countries even had it shaved complete,My hair now is the longest in quite a while just a different colour as in grey :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

cofy wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but what's a ted?

Oh miss, miss, cofy's in the wrong class, should be in the babies room, miss! :D

Can we start the poll again, I clicked hippie, and no, 'cos I wanted to be a hippie but my mam wouldn't let me, and I was never a fashion icon. But I had a few good years as a mod as well, so that's why I want to start the poll.....again....please. Sorry.

• Advertisement

I think we should put up photos of ourselves in our teens. No, not really of ourselves (in case some of us might be plug ugly :eek: perish the thought!), but someone that might have looked like us at the time, or someone we were trying to emulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

There was no such thing as photos when I were a lad...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I have remarkably few photos of my youth. I just post pictures of Paul Brady instead.
    paulbrady300.jpgLink

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

http://www.celebchefs.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/keith-floyd.jpg

Can't paste as pic. Was stopped in street, supermarket queues etc and asked if I was the great man. And an elderly lady sent a bottle of wine to my table in Langan's, Mayfair ......... I went over to personally thank her and when her dining pals heard my brogue they fell around laughing. However, she insisted in having our photo taken. Ahhhhh, those were the days! :D

This would have been close to my look but I wasn't as pretty (sob!)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Where's the heavy metal, biker chick option?

Beruthiel wrote: »

*thinks * WOW I knew there was something about Beruthiel that struck a chord. :D:D

I must admit I was looking for the Biker/Rocker option as opposed to the Mods.

(I still have my bike and black leathers too Although perhaps the leathers are a little more stretched these days and the bike can go faster than I can. :cool: )

I no long have the bike. I used up most of my nine lives and thought I'd cut my losses while I was still alive.
    I miss it though.
    When I win the lotto and have my villa in the South of France, there will be a big, fuk off chopper in my drive for road trips in the sun.

Sorry I am going a little off topic here, but to let you know my bike is an XVS1100A Classic (Yamaha)

*Goes back on topic.*

Can the poll be modified to add other options at this stage?

Oh, all right then. I was going to post a pic of Suzi Quatro but I thought this lady was much more interesting:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29568715/#.T3Ms0NnhdXQ

• Advertisement

I have no pictures of me at that age at all really. (sob sob) but this is sort of what I looked like back then.

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-52097113/stock-photo-fashionable-biker-with-curly-hair-sitting-on-his-motorcycle.html

Rubecula wrote: »
    I have no pictures of me at that age at all really. (sob sob) but this is sort of what I looked like back then.

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-52097113/stock-photo-fashionable-biker-with-curly-hair-sitting-on-his-motorcycle.html

Y'musta been movin' too fast t'git yr photee took, man!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »

That would bring a tear to your eye.

That bike rocks Rubecula!

That bike rocks Rubecula!

Aww thanks for that kind comment. It is my baby. Soft, gentle, and big enough to scare ya half to death if you treat her wrongly. (I think I posted in here somewhere about a couple of my adventures with it.)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76887685&postcount=20

If it works that is the link to the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭skaface

Mod , 2tone, Ska.. still into the music and fashion, and ride my Vespa scooter:cool:

Advertisement