Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streamers/Lures

Options
  • 16-03-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Anyone here use streamers or lures on our rivers?
    Has a great day today - caught at least 9 on the lure below, lost a few and had at least 6-7 missed takes. Fly is a Thunder Creek Style brown trout mini lure.

Tying:

Hook: Kamasan B830 12
    Thread: Uni 8/0 Red
    Underbody: gold tinsel - varnished
    Body: Made up of white calf tail on the bottom, black, red and yellow calf tail on top tied Thundercreek style.
    Eye: I usually just do a blob of yellow varnish with a black dot, but this year I bought epoxy eyes. They are great!
    The head gets several coats of varnish after the eyes.

You could fish this fly 1st Mar - 30th Sep and catch fish everyday. Brownies, especially the bigger fish can't resist it. Guys I know here are divided on the use of lures, same as in the UK. But for our cousins in the US, streamers are just another weapon in the armoury and I'm with them!

As a style the Thundercreek is second to known in my opinion, they are light, easy to cast. I was using 3kg Stroft today. I tie bigger versions for bass and Pike.

minilurezoom.jpg

Should say I "always" crimp my barbs in the vice, the above slipped through and was crimped a few mins after this pic!:rolleyes:

One of todays fish.

fishzoom.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

for some reason I always view streamer fishing as something I do on a stocked lake not on a river. I have tried it rivers a couple of times, but after 30 minutes of nothing, i always move back to traditional wet or dry. Kinda lost faith in it really, but perhaps I may try again at some stage. TBH with regard to the controversy, I see them no different to a wet fly imitating a bug in the water. This is doing much the same thing, but imitating a fish instead of an insect!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yeah, the mini muddler is a great fly after dark in the rivers around by me. When the trout are hitting the perch fry or minnows hard, they find the muddler irresistible. Seatrout will take it too. In my experience, usually when they go stale in the pools and won;t take conventional wets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Nice looking streamer that. I carry a box of streamers and fish them when there is no surface activity. Most successful by a mile on the river I fish has been an olive wooly bugger on a long shank 8. Sometimes they go mad for it and sometimes I won't get a touch. Haven't figured out why that is yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Black cone head wolly bugger doing the business on the river for me at the moment.
    Works well for early season and summer floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Caught a good few trout on opening day here on a black wooly bugger with jungle cock eyes. I often fish them early in the season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Streamers sort the men from the boys when it comes to fish! It seems to weed out the smaller fish for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yeah, the mini muddler is a great fly after dark in the rivers around by me. When the trout are hitting the perch fry or minnows hard, they find the muddler irresistible. Seatrout will take it too. In my experience, usually when they go stale in the pools and won;t take conventional wets.
    i have a few of these too and found they work really well on a local fishery i visit a few times of the year for a change, actually asked what it was called to no affect.. so thanks for clearing that up:D, i find with the fly fishing i'm learning all the time. which is great too, tight lines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Streamers sort the men from the boys when it comes to fish! It seems to weed out the smaller fish for some reason.

that is very true and you wont catch fish you don't want like salmon parr, small trout......
    in my book a 'streamer' is just a large wet fly or lure, last year i tried a few dabbler patterns tied on long shank size 6-8 hooks tied and they worked very well for the larger river trout.
    I think they are best for high and clear water conditions.

Advertisement