Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Put Beef Heifers in Calf?

• 16-03-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Anyone got some thoughts on this?

We run a dairy to beef enterprise, normally fatten continental cross heifers to slaughter, but with the price of incalf heifers i was thinking of putting the yearling heifers in calf and holding them until either calved or nearly calved.
    Have ten out of good freisian/holstien cows all by AI bulls FL22,NIN,IS4,KDU ETC mix of aberdeen,lim sim heifers good one they are now prob over 350kg.

Any idea what they might be worth down the line or if it would be worth doing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Anyone got some thoughts on this?

We run a dairy to beef enterprise, normally fatten continental cross heifers to slaughter, but with the price of incalf heifers i was thinking of putting the yearling heifers in calf and holding them until either calved or nearly calved.
    Have ten out of good freisian/holstien cows all by AI bulls FL22,NIN,IS4,KDU ETC mix of aberdeen,lim sim heifers good one they are now prob over 350kg.

Any idea what they might be worth down the line or if it would be worth doing?

Bump

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think you would be better off selling them as bulling heifers now. This way the ppl that buy them can decide themselves what bull they want to use on them.

You will also have more clients for them as they would be of interest to ppl who finish heifer beef, these would be competing for them in any mart today with suckler farmers wanting them too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think you would be better off selling them as bulling heifers now. This way the ppl that buy them can decide themselves what bull they want to use on them.

You will also have more clients for them as they would be of interest to ppl who finish heifer beef, these would be competing for them in any mart today with suckler farmers wanting them too.

Good points Blue, any idea what they might be worth? Would now be the time to try selling them r wait awhile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

bought 7 continental heifers off continental cows before christmas for bulling average weight of around 430-440 kg btween 12-18 mths and stood me around 1000 each. since risin in price and would be definately paying 150 more for similar heifers.
    just bought four springers around 580-600kg similar setup for 1400 each. late calving i know but workable. in my own eyes they were very cheap for what we got.
    put the two together and it would be hard to justify putting them in calf and selling springing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

1chippy wrote: »
    bought 7 continental heifers off continental cows before christmas for bulling average weight of around 430-440 kg btween 12-18 mths and stood me around 1000 each. since risin in price and would be definately paying 150 more for similar heifers.
    just bought four springers around 580-600kg similar setup for 1400 each. late calving i know but workable. in my own eyes they were very cheap for what we got.
    put the two together and it would be hard to justify putting them in calf and selling springing.

Comparing the two purchases the 400 extra for the springers is well worth it. You know you've a fertile heifer and between everything you'll have 400e spent on the bulling heifers by this time next year.

OP - Sell, sell, sell. The prices are mental at the moment. You're not intent on holding them yourself so take the profit. That's my tupence worth anyway. Donedeal maybe worth a go and chance you're arm with an asking price. There should be good demand for good bulling heifers off dairy stock.

• Advertisement

Would ya hold em and fatten them?

Or take the money and run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Would ya hold em and fatten them?

Or take the money and run?
    take the money, springers i bought would have made more in local mart dry rather than in calf. thenn again they would have made more off anyone else:D

Advertisement