Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant about parking

Options
  • 16-03-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

I parked today on the quay to go into the BOI it cost 1.80 I was in there 10 mins, I had to go back to the bank an hour later it cost another 1.80, at 2.30 I parked in city sq 5mins over the hour and I had to pay 3.80 or there abouts.I parked down beside TKMAX another 1.20 before anyone asks why I was coming and going all morning I was trying to get things done while the kids were in school, so tonight I go to town most of the shops are closed and I park just outside Awear and I get a 40euro fine yes I was in the loading bay but I thought after 6 this was ok I was in the wrong I got the fine at 8.10 , so I'v now decide I will not shop in the City for the next 12 months I'v no need to I can bank outside town most of the shops I go to have sub shops on the outskirts, hubby said I was punishing the shops but I think the shops should march to city hall and demand a drop in the price of parking and if the don't fight for me fine I'll shop else where,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Park in Bolton st carpark its €1 an hour and walk, all those places you mentioned are just a 5 min walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

is that every day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

next wrote: »
    is that every day ?

It is:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You can park under the crane on the quay and just pay 30c for 10mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

I hear your pain. It's Friday night so it's 9pm afaik that you have to pay to park as that is considered trading hours for late night shopping.

We have to pay the City Council for the privilege to park outside our own front door because we live in the city centre. So if my sister or brother or other family member comes to visit my mam or dad they have to pay for the privilege.

It's the law and it can be an ass sometimes. The Council should be encouraging people into the city with reduced parking rates like in Bolton St. But I think the some of the ones on the Quay are privately owned so they can charge what they like and are owned by a consortium of local businessmen/retailers afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

next wrote: »
    I parked today on the quay to go into the BOI it cost 1.80 I was in there 10 mins, I had to go back to the bank an hour later it cost another 1.80, at 2.30 I parked in city sq 5mins over the hour and I had to pay 3.80 or there abouts.I parked down beside TKMAX another 1.20 before anyone asks why I was coming and going all morning I was trying to get things done while the kids were in school, so tonight I go to town most of the shops are closed and I park just outside Awear and I get a 40euro fine yes I was in the loading bay but I thought after 6 this was ok I was in the wrong I got the fine at 8.10 , so I'v now decide I will not shop in the City for the next 12 months I'v no need to I can bank outside town most of the shops I go to have sub shops on the outskirts, hubby said I was punishing the shops but I think the shops should march to city hall and demand a drop in the price of parking and if the don't fight for me fine I'll shop else where,

Loads of on street and council car parks where you can park for about 30c for 10 or 15 mins, do your business and head home. Alternatively, €1 an hour or 3.60 for a full days parking in section of millers marsh car park. Great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Paying for the priviledge to shop?

Feck that, I'll stick with Waterford Shopping Centre and the interweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i,ve said it before and i,ll say it again, loading bays are there for one thing and one thing only! ! ! For delivery,s to the shops by people like me that drive trucks and can,t park in a normal space like you, so pay your fine and learn your lesson and stop being lazy and just park in one place and walk, it,ll save ya having to come on here complaining that your paying too much for parking! ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 35 wsopchamp

Max Powers wrote: »
    Loads of on street and council car parks where you can park for about 30c for 10 or 15 mins, do your business and head home. Alternatively, €1 an hour or 3.60 for a full days parking in section of millers marsh car park. Great value.
    millers marsh? is that next to tk max/ cinema..3.60 for the day and you can come and go as you like ..you will always get a space in that section,,i often go into town in the early morning and if i think i might be going back in il get the daily ticket,,,great value ,,and u can always sell it to someone else for a euro if you finish your business early ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

I know lots of people have made suggestions for cheap parking but there is still a walk. What if you're in a hurry or have a dodgey knee or some kind of disability that isn't bad enough to get you one of those cards but hurts when you walk to far. Parking in this town is daylight robbery. I use the bus these days because I am boycotting city square and the like. look at other towns and centres they're way cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Demonical

I thought there was 10/15 minutes grace with regards to parking so as to allow people to run into somewhere if theyre not going to be long...I could be wrong though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    I know lots of people have made suggestions for cheap parking but there is still a walk. What if you're in a hurry or have a dodgey knee or some kind of disability that isn't bad enough to get you one of those cards but hurts when you walk to far. Parking in this town is daylight robbery. I use the bus these days because I am boycotting city square and the like. look at other towns and centres they're way cheaper.

If you have problems limiting your mobility, the kind city will give a disability sticker so that you won't have to walk to far.

just put it down to bad luck and just get the daily ticket the next time.

i park in millers marsh, unpack 2 babies into a double buggy and i can be anywhere in town within 5 mins... its not that much of a walk!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Demonical wrote: »
    I thought there was 10/15 minutes grace with regards to parking so as to allow people to run into somewhere if theyre not going to be long...I could be wrong though...

Haha your having a laugh!! Seriously like you think Waterford city council are going to allow you 10 - 15 mins to shop for FREE??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Daffodil.d wrote: »

Put fifty cent into a meter get your ticket and you have twenty minutes to do your business, we all know the rules so no point in washing your dirty linen in public when you get caught

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

Odats wrote: »
    I hear your pain. It's Friday night so it's 9pm afaik that you have to pay to park as that is considered trading hours for late night shopping.

We have to pay the City Council for the privilege to park outside our own front door because we live in the city centre. So if my sister or brother or other family member comes to visit my mam or dad they have to pay for the privilege.

It's the law and it can be an ass sometimes. The Council should be encouraging people into the city with reduced parking rates like in Bolton St. But I think the some of the ones on the Quay are privately owned so they can charge what they like and are owned by a consortium of local businessmen/retailers afaik.

Your absolutely correct. Tony Fitzgerald, Mulligans and the owner of Georges Court are in control of the private parking on the Quay. I have mentioned it on every occasion I am in one of those shops, They should validate or even a reduction if you shop in their stores... vote with your feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Up2NoGood wrote: »

Your absolutely correct. Tony Fitzgerald, Mulligans and the owner of Georges Court are in control of the private parking on the Quay. I have mentioned it on every occasion I am in one of those shops, They should validate or even a reduction if you shop in their stores... vote with your feet.

Mulligans have a sign up on the car park first hour free with twenty five euro purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I give it 5 years before people are complaining that the footpaths need widening for their:

3321829085_d7c38f2efd.jpg

God help you if you can't walk from Millar's Marsh to town and don't have a disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

just get piece of paper and pen and write 'GONE FOR CHANGE FOR PARKING TICKET' , works for me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

The parking meter on Patrick St by Sullivan Jewelery is often broken... I took a picture on my phone in case, but they prob tell you to go to the nearest one... but its up in Mayors Walk, so could take a few mins and that is all it takes to get a ticket..

wonder what is the story then..

The problem is the lack of good options really... going into town is a nightmare and to be honest the stock the shops have isn't great which is prob natural in certain circumstances. There is very few reasons to go to town..

can someone tell me why TK Maxx had to close and Next didnt, when selling outside city centre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

I was under the impression too, that a loading bay was only restricted between the hours of 8.00am - 6.00pm .

If the shops are closed , then why a restriction ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

savic04 wrote: »
    The parking meter on Patrick St by Sullivan Jewelery is often broken... I took a picture on my phone in case, but they prob tell you to go to the nearest one... but its up in Mayors Walk, so could take a few mins and that is all it takes to get a ticket..

wonder what is the story then..

Yeah the duty is on you to go to a working machine.

Is there not a machine over by where the De La Salle centre used to be? Or somewhere on Newgate Street? You could also just walk over behind the old cinema and use the one there. There's got to be a working machine within a two-minute walk of there. Fair enough it's a bit annoying but it's not like you've got to trek out to the Comeraghs to get one either.

I have to say I've found the machines to be pretty reliable in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I have to say I've found the machines to be pretty reliable in general.

They usually are except when we had the bad snow and they all froze solid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Creamsoda wrote: »
    They usually are except when we had the bad snow and they all froze solid.
    not designed obviously for our wintery conditions eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

savic04 wrote: »
    can someone tell me why TK Maxx had to close and Next didnt, when selling outside city centre

this was something to do with the fact that NEXT had already a presence within waterford city center, in the City square.... TK Maxx didnt, so for them they had the option to move into town, or move a small section of their operation into a unit in town in order to sustain their bigger unit in Buttlerstown.... Personally I miss the TK Maxx in Buttlerstown.....

afaik, next secured pp from waterford county council in the mid 90s before the retail strategy was defined for waterford.

Advertisement