Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banks in Canada

Options
  • 17-03-2012 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm moving to Calgary next week does anyone have any recommendations on the best bank to use from personal experience?

Also when transferring money from my bank in Ireland will there be large fees involved with this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

€15 per transfer with AIB anyway, not sure about others

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

bring your atm card, the fees are way lower than a transfer. My personal experience, I was with TD on a working holiday visa few years back, it was easy to open an account without much documentation on our first day but that may have changed. I am now a PR and with RBC who I like a little more than TD, slightly better fee structure imo. Plus they would actually give me a credit card.

Have a look around where you will be living working and factor in who has the most atms. Using another banks atm machine is ridiculously expensive here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

ician wrote: »
    bring your atm card, the fees are way lower than a transfer. My personal experience, I was with TD on a working holiday visa few years back, it was easy to open an account without much documentation on our first day but that may have changed. I am now a PR and with RBC who I like a little more than TD, slightly better fee structure imo. Plus they would actually give me a credit card.

Have a look around where you will be living working and factor in who has the most atms. Using another banks atm machine is ridiculously expensive here.

TD gave me a visa card with a $1000 limit i hate Canadian banks they charge a monthly fee to bank with them. I just joined PC Financial and they are free. Have to switch all my stuff over to them

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

don't transfer your hard earned cash directly from your irish bank to
    your canadian account... use an online transfer via a foreign exchange
    website, I've used MONEYCORP with no problems but there are loads
    of reputable firms offering this service online. AIB were offering me
    a rate of CAD 1.30 to the Euro plus their fees on top and i was getting
    1.32 online and no fees at all with moneycorp. rip-off banks :D

i don't find much difference between the banks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shepy87

kiwijbob wrote: »
    don't transfer your hard earned cash directly from your irish bank to
    your canadian account... use an online transfer via a foreign exchange
    website, I've used MONEYCORP with no problems but there are loads
    of reputable firms offering this service online. AIB were offering me
    a rate of CAD 1.30 to the Euro plus their fees on top and i was getting
    1.32 online and no fees at all with moneycorp. rip-off banks :D

i don't find much difference between the banks

Thanks I wasn't aware that was possible, I will have a look into doing that. I don't plan in taking a lot of cash with me so will have to transfer a good amount of money. I heard a few saying the bank would offer bad rates.

• Advertisement
Advertisement