Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADDICTION-I NEED HELP

• 17-03-2012 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭

ive got a problem with addiction that i have to get help for.its killing me trying to keep the habit going and is taking all our money.it all started years ago during the boom,started doing a bit of work out building and got a small mixer.at first it was only a few bags of cement but i wasnt satisfied with that for long before i moved on to readymix loads.money was plenty and most times someone else was paying for it.it grew steadaly until it all came to a head in 08 during the grant i just couldnt get enough of it .we ran out of money then and i stopped thinking i was back in control but as soon as i got money last year i had to get a few loads again. i promised my wife that was it but its happening again.i had a digger in this week and i told her i was just doing a bit of tiding up.but she caught me on the phone pricing a few slats(i think secretly she always knew).please help me before i lose my farm in sea of concrete .since i got a bit of shuttering now it all seems too easy ;)btw can you beat a price of 1200 including vat for 24 ft of 10 ft 6 tractor slat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

Admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery.

If you have started using the higher grade 40N stuff you better get into rehab quick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

keep going wrote: »
    ive got a problem with addiction that i have to get help for.its killing me trying to keep the habit going and is taking all our money.it all started years ago during the boom,started doing a bit of work out building and got a small mixer.at first it was only a few bags of cement but i wasnt satisfied with that for long before i moved on to readymix loads.money was plenty and most times someone else was paying for it.it grew steadaly until it all came to a head in 08 during the grant i just couldnt get enough of it .we ran out of money then and i stopped thinking i was back in control but as soon as i got money last year i had to get a few loads again. i promised my wife that was it but its happening again.i had a digger in this week and i told her i was just doing a bit of tiding up.but she caught me on the phone pricing a few slats(i think secretly she always knew).please help me before i lose my farm in sea of concrete .since i got a bit of shuttering now it all seems too easy ;)btw can you beat a price of 1200 including vat for 24 ft of 10 ft 6 tractor slat

Did you buy your own shuttering??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

STOP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

came to the conclusion i'll quit the smokes for now the concrete will stop when we run out of land.
    you should tell the judge that when you get caught robbing. prob only get a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

keep going wrote: »
    Admitting you have a problem is a start but dealing in that wicked stuff online is a problem. I'm calling my SF TD. PUSHERS OUT of boards:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

OP to 'cure' this addiction you have to identify what exactly gives you the big 'rush'
    • Perhaps it's the ominous beep beep beep as the readymix lorry reverses up to your shutter?
    • Maybe it's the tingle you get as the truck revs up and the first few pebbles rattle prematurely down the spout?
    • Or is it the thrill you get probing a big heavy poker VIBRATOR into wet concrete?
    • Do you feel a satisfaction taking the panels off your new creation?
    • Is it something more sinister like opening the vat return envelope. With trembling hands you tear open the brown envelope from revenue who are giving YOU money for investing hard (borrowed) cash in concrete?
    OP help is available, you could try CBT. This breaks your addiction by making you think of something else.

For the price of a load of readymix you could buy an old davy brown, major or dexta on donedeal. For me major is the drug of choice. You could spend months in a freezing shed away from the prying eyes of your wife. Think of all the time you could spend finding the badly needed spare parts. Then when you have sprayed your pride and joy with 2pack or 14 coats of lacquer, off you go and buy a trailer (price of another load of readymix:D ). You can easily justify the expense of the trailer because you can use it for your other hobbies addictions. A tri-axle trailer would be best as it can be used at a push to pick up a gang slat/ manhole slat etc.

Then off you go the whole summer with your pride and joy to vintage rallies all over the country, where grumpy old blasterds who know it all can cut the sh1te out of you for having the wrong steering wheel/tyres/paint shade/lights/stop cable etc. etc.

The real secret to this addiction is to specialize in ONLY ONE TYPE OF TRACTOR. This way as you aquire more examples the wife can easily be fooled into believing they are all just spare parts for your one and only pride and joy. After about 6 (wrecks) have been acquired/rescued from the scrapman you will be able to start dealing(in spare parts). When this happens it is safe to tell your wife what is going on! Well tell her some of what is going on you should never ever tell her everything that is going on:eek:

The sad part is you will never be cured of your addiction:( all you can hope for is that you transfer your addiction to a cheaper habit:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

after you shared your problem with me blue it made me feel better,your problem is worse:D.on a serious note,its the promise that life is going to be easier and more efficent that drives you.also having a bit of a head for building dosent help.on the shuttering front i have a bit of it now,its just handy to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

come see me for a week, next best thing for concrete junkies as the Betty Ford clinic is for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Shocking affliction that Concrete Fever. If you have it real bad you'll find a massive desire to put your initials and year of pour on it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A problem shared is a problem halved;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 107

Support from spouse is important in initial stages :

http://cementmixerblog.cart-away.com/?p=633

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Hi my name is celticcrash and I am concreteholic. Its been 3 years since my last pour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

i remember us working for a man during the grant who said about his neighbour (who we had put down heaps of concrete) "if that mans not carefull he will have every bit of his land concreted"

Advertisement