Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saun holiday/ bottles,,formula??

Options
  • 17-03-2012 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all, were goin to portugal in june an bringing our son who will be 1 1/2 years old, just wondering what do people do regarding making bottles?? He is still on formula as he wasnt great to eat meat, but has improved so could put him on cows milk now i guess.
    Would it be handier for us if he was on cows milk and if so, what milk would he drink in portugal?? Would it be their own carton milk??? And i presume bottled water be ok for him to drink too???
    Sorry its our first family holiday so im all over the place...
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Hi :)

We brought our lad to Lanzarote last year when he was 6 months and it was fine.. We just brought a large tin of his milk with us and cartons for the flight..

Just used boiled bottled water for making up the bottle and we had Milton tablets with us for sterilising.. We used to just use a big pot as a sterilising unit..

I would advise making sure you have enough milk to do you the week as I didn't see any familiar milk brands over there i.e. SMA or Cow & Gate, Nestle seem to have a big steak in the infant nutrition market in Spain.. My Son seemed to like their jars though, I ran out of his solid food during the week and had to stock up on those..

I'd be fussy about his milk though, so luckily I had packed enough SMA.

Re cows milk, I've never tasted cows milk abroad so I can't comment.. maybe freeze a couple of cartons of Irish cows milk and bring them with you in a cooler bag of you're iffy?

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

xzanti wrote: »
    Hi :)

We brought our lad to Lanzarote last year when he was 6 months and it was fine.. We just brought a large tin of his milk with us and cartons for the flight..

Just used boiled bottled water for making up the bottle and we had Milton tablets with us for sterilising.. We used to just use a big pot as a sterilising unit..

I would advise making sure you have enough milk to do you the week as I didn't see any familiar milk brands over there i.e. SMA or Cow & Gate, Nestle seem to have a big steak in the infant nutrition market in Spain.. My Son seemed to like their jars though, I ran out of his solid food during the week and had to stock up on those..

Hope that helps.

Hi xzanti thanks for ur reply,, the cartons are a good idea alright..will defo bring.them for the flight, if his not gone onto the cows milk.:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd suggest getting him into cows milk between this and then. It will make it much easier for you. We were in Tenerife recently and they had the uht and fresh milk in the supermarkets.

The little cartons of formula are a good idea,; you could pack some in your luggage but having him on cows milk will make it easier all round.

I'd suggest getting him into cows milk between this and then. It will make it much easier for you. We were in Tenerife recently and they had the uht and fresh milk in the supermarkets.

The little cartons of formula are a good idea,; you could pack some in your luggage but having him on cows milk will make it easier all round.

Hi how strange thanks for ur reply. I was thinking the cows milk would be better, just wasnt sure if the cows milk over there would make him sick or anything?
    Also whats uht??? Sorry prob silly question....

I think UHT is a type of milk that doesn't go off as quick as normal milk? I'm open to correction..

It's like those little tiny portions they leave at room temperature in Hotel room afaik..

Doesn't sound very appealing imho :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

You're right xzanti, the stuff we got was liquid but was treated. However fresh milk was available in all the supermarkets but it was more expensive. I'd say they stock it for the tourists. My fella drank both without a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Beagslife

Where in Portugal are you going? Maybe I can answer your questions.

Beagslife wrote: »
    Where in Portugal are you going? Maybe I can answer your questions.

Hi beagslife,, we are staying in the algarve.in area called lagos,,, no acc booked yet but looking at place called marina club lagos..... Any info would be great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Uht is long life milk, very common in water countries in Europe. I can't bear to drink the stuff, it tastes horrible.

I had my daughter in Malta last year when she was 8months old. I brought 2 boxes if her formula powder, Milton tablets for sterilising. I boiled bottled water to make up her formula but it was so hot you had to make it up as needed when out and about adding powder to water already in the bottles, otherwise it would go sour quite quickly.

I would definitely advise trying to get him onto the regular milk if you can though, it makes things a lot easier in the log run!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

We were in Portugal in June for 2 weeks in Albufeira in the Algarve.

Little lady was 17 months at the time and the only issue we really had was that she developed heat rash and was cranky with it!

We gave her cows milk which we bought over there and didn't have any issues whatsoever with it. We stayed in an apart-hotel so we had a kitchen and fridge to keep it in.

We stopped sterilizing as soon as she was licking the floor so we didn't worry about sterilizing bottles. I did make sure that they were all sort of sterilized just with boiling water though.

I'm fairly sure I remember seeing cartons of Aptamil in our hotels shop, it was a very English/Irish hotel and alot of familiar brands were available. I wouldn't depend on being able to get it though just in case!

Enjoy your hols! Its a lovely place :)

• Advertisement

We were in Portugal in June for 2 weeks in Albufeira in the Algarve.

Little lady was 17 months at the time and the only issue we really had was that she developed heat rash and was cranky with it!

We gave her cows milk which we bought over there and didn't have any issues whatsoever with it. We stayed in an apart-hotel so we had a kitchen and fridge to keep it in.

We stopped sterilizing as soon as she was licking the floor so we didn't worry about sterilizing bottles. I did make sure that they were all sort of sterilized just with boiling water though.

I'm fairly sure I remember seeing cartons of Aptamil in our hotels shop, it was a very English/Irish hotel and alot of familiar brands were available. I wouldn't depend on being able to get it though just in case!

Enjoy your hols! Its a lovely place :)

Hi crazy cat lady, thanks so much for your advice, great help, as our little lad will be nearly 17 months then too so its great to hear you had no problems with their milk..
    I think i will start him on the cows milk straight away so he will be well used to it come may.
    Looking forward to our first family holiday.:-)

Hi jackben, I have sent you a pm with further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You are joking, right? You think Spanish parents import SMA (Nestlé) to feed their children?

OP...your child is 1 and half years old.....cows milk is perfectly fine to feed them. It's only difference from formula is that it lacks iron. Formula is modified cows' milk after all.

Give your child the local milk, they will be perfectly fine. Don't cart over tins of SMA crap....there is absolutely no need.

Beagslife wrote: »
    Hi jackben, I have sent you a pm with further details.[/Quote

Hi beagslife, sorry but i didnt get a pm message from you?
    Thanks

Hi

I am off to the algarve ( pria da luz) with my 8 month old in may and i am just wondering if anyone can answer couple of questions ?
    1. If we need to take a taxi anywhere are baby car seats available for hire from hotel, taxi company etc, did anyone come across having to travel with baby in taxi while abroad?
    2. Does formula have to be packed in suitcase or hand luggage?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

If you travel in a taxi you will carry your baby on your lap. Its the same everywhere, even here in Ireland.

We hired a car fairly cheap, our holiday reps organised it all for us. We didn't have to pay anything extra to hire the car seat when we hired the car. It was great.

Not sure about the formula to be honest. I would probably pack it in my suitcase though and travel home with just the formula I needed for the journey (in one of those formula divider tubs) and the space that I had used in my suitcase for the formula would then be free for anything that I had bought whilst on hols! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We booked a taxi in advance from faro and asked for car seat. They said no problem, we are going in april. If you remind me by pm early may i will send on the number if the car seat appears.

Hi I live in Lagos beside Luz and work in the business. If you want to pm me I can answer any questions you have.

You are joking, right? You think Spanish parents import SMA (Nestlé) to feed their children?

OP...your child is 1 and half years old.....cows milk is perfectly fine to feed them. It's only difference from formula is that it lacks iron. Formula is modified cows' milk after all.

Give your child the local milk, they will be perfectly fine. Don't cart over tins of SMA crap....there is absolutely no need.

Jesus, relax there would you?

I never said there was anything wrong with the stuff, I just didn't want to switch formula, my Son was only 6 months at the time we brought him over..

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jeeney

Hi all,

On the subject of bottles, etc we're heading to Lanzarote in June with our 19 mth old with Ryanair. Is it ok to bring bottles with you on the plane in your cabin bags or do you need the little cartons? Might be a silly question, but you just dont know with Ryanair and the liquid regulations! I want to have at least one or two as this will be our child's first flight & want something to soothe him if cranky after take off/landing.

Thanks

• Advertisement

jeeney wrote: »
    Hi all,

On the subject of bottles, etc we're heading to Lanzarote in June with our 19 mth old with Ryanair. Is it ok to bring bottles with you on the plane in your cabin bags or do you need the little cartons? Might be a silly question, but you just dont know with Ryanair and the liquid regulations! I want to have at least one or two as this will be our child's first flight & want something to soothe him if cranky after take off/landing.

Thanks

Hey, we had one bottle of milk made up and a bottle of water, and we had cartons.. all the inspection person did was shout over to the lads on the scanners that there was a baby coming through.. I didn't have to taste the bottles or any of that.. and they didn't even count the cartons.. Just have them well displayed as you pass through :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've never had problems bring bottles through the airport.

Another option is to have a bottle with the powder in and in the departure hall or on the plane ask for boiled water.

Thanks boom_bap and xzanti. That's good to know. He's on cow's milk now so would just be bringing on bottles of that, so hopefully that'll be fine.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jeeney wrote: »
    Thanks boom_bap and xzanti. That's good to know. He's on cow's milk now so would just be bringing on bottles of that, so hopefully that'll be fine.

If that's the case, then the security guys will probably make you drink some in front of them.

You might be able to buy fresh milk in Boots in Dublin Airport, or maybe O'Briens. You could always call them or the airport info people to confirm.

Yeah that Airport Boots is a life saver.. I never worry about deodorants or any of that anymore, just buy all my liquids in Boots.. Same with baby liquids..

Yeah that Airport Boots is a life saver.. I never worry about deodorants or any of that anymore, just buy all my liquids in Boots.. Same with baby liquids..

Thanks guys. Will prob do that so to avoid any hassle! Cheers

pwurple wrote: »
    We booked a taxi in advance from faro and asked for car seat. They said no problem, we are going in april. If you remind me by pm early may i will send on the number if the car seat appears.

Thanks for that, please post here when you return so i can see ref the babycar seat situation. I will only be taking a taxi from faro airport to faro train station, then the train to lagos, so its only a short trip.

Advertisement