Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My bitch got 'caught'

• 17-03-2012 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

My in heat bitch got caught this morning, no doubt about it they were locked together so no ifs or maybes. I do not want puppies so can they be aborted or if I get her spayed next week would that sort it out? Vets is closed untill tuesday. Basically how do I stop her from having pups?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Discussed some here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76492432

Bring to vet and get an injection. If there is an emgerency normally a practice would have a vet on call, even on a St. Patrick's w/e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Definitely call a vet, many vets will have an emergency service today, or tomorrow, and the sooner you get her injected, the better (much like the human morning after pill). You may need to ring a few local vets but someone will help you.

You will not be able to get her spayed until she is half way between heats - it is quite risky doing it around her time of heat and getting her an simple injection in the vets today/tomorrow is much safer and less stressful for everyone involved, and she can then be spayed when it is a better time.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

If you are in Dublin then I think the UCD veterinary clinic is open. They usually have someone on call out-of-hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Actually, you may not need to be seen today. The most commonly available injection doesn't get given immediately after mating, but it does require 2 injections 24 hours apart (this is different to what was available a few years ago, but most of those drugs are no longer available). I'd say ring your regular vet and you can probably wait a few days if not a week or two, just get their advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

And please, please, get her neutered as soon as possible (generally 4-6 weeks after heat is finished) to prevent further problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

No need to rush her to an out of hours vets, so long as she gets 2 injections 24 hours apart before day 45 it'l work. Up to day 22 is the most effective (99-100% apparently), day 23-45 is supposed to be 95% effective but there are side effects when it's given this late including fetal expulsion. A lot of vets won't spay her when she is in pup as its a lot more risky, most will opt for alizin injection followed by spaying her.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

There's an injection you can get.
    As said emergency Vets are in operation, if you're in Dublin give UCD a call.
    I honestly can't fathom why you haven't gotten her neutered if you don't want her to have pups??? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Both the injection and an emergency spay have their own risks. Talk to your vet about what these are so you can make an informed decision on what would suit best for your dog, in both cases the sooner it's done the lesser the chance of complications.

Advertisement