Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with dogs in Ireland and UK

• 17-03-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I own my own place here in Ireland and I have two dogs, one is a small staffie the other is a lab mix, so pretty big.
    I am just wondering if anyone has any experience in renting in the uk with dogs. I am considering the move and just wondering would it be really hard to find a renting accommodation for me and the two fourlegs.
    I'm not sure how it is in Ireland but I would imagine it's not great in town is it?
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I find that generally any house with a fully-enclosed back garden has a landlord that can be persuaded to take dogs. Especially if you offer a Pet Deposit :rolleyes:. Another idea to employ is telling the landlord they will be kept outside if you are not present. I know it's not generally right to lie, but unless the LL is a serious dog lover/owner, they simply won't believe your furbaby will not rip the place up like a beer mat in a Lonely Singles club :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If you're renting in London, DO NOT keep the dogs outside!

Junkies have a funny habit of kidnapping the dogs and holding them to ransom (or worse). I would try to rent an unfurnished place, and offer a pet deposit. Renting unfurnished in the UK is a lot easier to find that renting here

In the UK, people generally do not keep pets outside unless they've got a dog run or similar.

Now before anyone starts screaming at me, I do know what I'm talking about. Dognapping is rife in London where I'm from. I can't speak for other areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Just so you know dude, I mean tell the landlord you'll keep them outside, not actually do it :p
    I wouldn't put my baby outside unsupervised in any country :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Having lived in both I think that it is much easier to rent with pets in the UK than it is here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

My sister had such a pain in her behind looking for rented accommadation here with her 2 dogs that in the end she decided not to tell the landlords she had dogs. Not honest I know but she could only find absolute dives who would take dogs in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skinnygeness

thanks folks, that's why i asked, ireland can be slightly rural when it comes to dogs lol no offence please!
    yes i wouldn't leave my dogs outside anyway and I live in the countryside, lol my neighbours think i'm mental... i just grew up in a city and I just couldn't leave them outside :)
    thanks all x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Hi all,
    I own my own place here in Ireland and I have two dogs, one is a small staffie the other is a lab mix, so pretty big.
    I am just wondering if anyone has any experience in renting in the uk with dogs. I am considering the move and just wondering would it be really hard to find a renting accommodation for me and the two fourlegs.
    I'm not sure how it is in Ireland but I would imagine it's not great in town is it?
    Cheers :)

If you look up renting agencies in the UK, in the area you are considering, you could contact them to find out if they have pet friendly landlords.
    Many agencies manage properties for landlords and do checks on the property being rented, so you could find yourself in an awkward position if you do not tell the truth in the first place.

Advertisement