Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics Experiment Questions?

• 17-03-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

I'm going back through all the experiment questions atm and correcting them. I always thought when they said 'describe, with the aid of a labelled diagram, how the data was obtained' they wanted a diagram AND a written description of the method. Now looking at the marking scheme though, all the marks are for the diagram, so do you not need to write out the method at all? This is especially in relation to the joules law/resistance experiments. :S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Marking Schemes change from year to year bro.

Sometimes they want a written description sometimes they don't. No need to take the risk. If it comes up give everything and more :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

No definitely do both, and make sure your diagram is titled and especially labelled!

I used to draw the diagram first, label it, then give a short description. It's easier having drawn the diagram first, you can use the diagram to talk through the experiment, referring to the diagram, and use my all-time favourite line "Set up the apparatus as shown" which avoids having to describe how you actually set it up also, as the diagram should make it clear! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Grand so, I was so annoyed thinking I'd gone and learnt all those methods for no reason!

Another question, in the Joules law experiment when they want you to find the mass of water or resistance and the equation is RI^2t=MC(Delta Theta), what is the t and what is its value? I'm pretty sure its time but they never state a time interval in the question :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Grand so, I was so annoyed thinking I'd gone and learnt all those methods for no reason!

Another question, in the Joules law experiment when they want you to find the mass of water or resistance and the equation is RI^2t=MC(Delta Theta), what is the t and what is its value? I'm pretty sure its time but they never state a time interval in the question :S

Pretty sure it's time, you need it when you're doing the experiment to work out some stuff but you don't need it to draw the graph (I think) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jameseyf

Chuchoter wrote: »

Ye it's time, the time is normally given sneakily earlier in the question. Be careful as it will most likely be in minutes and you will have to convert it to seconds. This can also occur with mass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Wicklowleaid

Absolutely t is time make sure you have it in seconds. I think Joules Law is a definite for this years paper and Q1 should most probably be the pendulum or balancing the mirror stick. I'm leaning towards measuring specific heat capacity and either the mirror, lens or speed of sound in air for the other question. Hope this is of some help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Absolutely t is time make sure you have it in seconds. I think Joules Law is a definite for this years paper and Q1 should most probably be the pendulum or balancing the mirror stick. I'm leaning towards measuring specific heat capacity and either the mirror, lens or speed of sound in air for the other question. Hope this is of some help!

Pendulum pendulum pendulum! What a doddle of an experiment :P

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Wicklowleaid

Pendulum pendulum pendulum! What a doddle of an experiment :P

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news haha. To be honest I have me of a leaning toward the metrestick though. Thee pendulum formula is nasty but just practice it over and over and u will be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news haha. To be honest I have me of a leaning toward the metrestick though. Thee pendulum formula is nasty but just practice it over and over and u will be fine

For formulas like the pendulum one, take away the constants and it will be much easier to work out what to plot on the graph :)

Advertisement