Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyeing the liffey blue all year round

Options
  • 17-03-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Just wondering why can't they council (or whoever is in charge) put a blue dye into the river liffey as opposed to looking at the horrible green.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Water isn't naturally blue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Just wondering why can't they council (or whoever is in charge) put a blue dye into the river liffey as opposed to looking at the horrible green.

And they could throw in a ton of radox to gives us some suds,sure it be great craic.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

bleg wrote: »

Unless you are in a Bounty ad.

And that's only because using a yellow liquid would look like you were cleaning up piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

they should dye it clear ... idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Riamfada wrote: »

How would we see it then :confused:

;)

• Advertisement

Riamfada wrote: »

Something can be clear and still have a colour.:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Actually, it is.

Actually, it is.

Ah yea but only with very large bodies of water in the open environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Ah yea but only with very large bodies of water in the open environment.

Not as big as you might think, you'd notice it in an olympic standard swimming pool. And that's not the chlorine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

yes it is

No it's not, it's the skies reflection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

Because the country is bankrupt....

/the end

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Samich wrote: »

No its not. Its the selective absorption and reflection of different wavelengths of light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

They could put a giant toilet block at the source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I thought it was, oxygen is slightly blue hence the blue skys and deep clear blue oceans.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

I never mentioned natural blue colour, merely I would think a blue colour would be better over the green mulch colour it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

They could start by cleaning the River at Hueston bridge.

Considering it's potentially the first place people traveling to Dublin see, it's a disgrace that it's not looked after.

44leto wrote: »
    I thought it was, oxygen is slightly blue hence the blue skys and deep clear blue oceans.

:confused:

The depths of the oceans are in pretty much complete darkness. Blue skies are due to refraction of light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Samich wrote: »

The sky contributes significantly to the blue look of large bodies of water (as do minerals dissolved in sea water), but water is also slightly blue itself (as is oxygen, believe it or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

:confused:

The depths of the oceans are in pretty much complete darkness. Blue skies are due to refraction of light.

So is the blue in water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

They did, but as the blue mixed with yellow piss it simply turned green.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

To think of how blue water is naturally, think of a swimming pool. Clean water is a very pale blue but in large amounts it's blue hue is obvious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_of_water

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The last time I saw the Liffey it was beautifully clear, not murky green. Could that be because I saw it in Kildare, before the Dubs pollute it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

The last time I saw the Liffey it was beautifully clear, not murky green. Could that be because I saw it in Kildare, before the Dubs pollute it?

Kildare put all their **** in the Liffey at Leixlip (Crafty bastards).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

They could put a giant toilet block at the source.

They have one, its called kildare :pac:

The colour we see when looking at the surface of a body of water is the combination of the reflection of the sky and the intrinsic colour of the water. That is why the sea looks blue on fine days and looks grey-blue on overcast days. (Example) The colour we see when we look through a body of water is indeed blue, because water molecules absorb the red end of the spectrum more than the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Lumbo wrote: »
    They could start by cleaning the River at Hueston bridge.

Considering it's potentially the first place people traveling to Dublin see, it's a disgrace that it's not looked after.

And slaughter those feck'in seagulls. with their precision guided bird turds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

The Liffey is brown not because it is polluted but because it has picked up natural tannins from flowing through bog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The liffey is clean, it is one of the few rivers going through a million+ city that still has Salmon spawning in it. The Thames has as well but only after massive investment and restocking.

I THINK it is this time of year you will see them going up the river from any of the city bridges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Water is wet............

Advertisement