Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bleached hair

• 17-03-2012 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

so i've been getting bleached highlights in my hair for well over a year now.
    the other day my hairdresser said my hair is starting to brake off at the roots. she didn't seem worried and said it would grow back and that she would only put the bleach on my roots to cover my natural colour it but i'm starting to get concerned.

i love the colour so, so much! is it possible to continue bleaching, or would it be better to switch? i dont even know how i would go from bleach to something else, or if it would be possible to keep this exact colour (high blonde) without the bleach!

any advice or info would be great,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

While I can't offer any advice on the bleaching side of things, all I can say is that regardless of whether you stay bleaching your hair or not is that you'll need to do some serious damage control to reverse the breakage.

You should probably try a protein treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cassElliot

what products should i get?

cassElliot wrote: »

what products should i get?

Hi,

I like Redken extreme- there's a shampoo, conditioner and then the extreme cat spray treatment- I don't use these everyday, just once a week when I'm doing the extreme cat treatment- too much protein is not a good thing for your hair, however I'd say you could do a protein treatment about twice a week on account of the bleach highlights.

Basically, you spray on the extreme cat after shampooing, leave on for 5 mins then rinse and follow up with conditioner.

For everyday use, kerastase Bain de force and ciment anti usure (green range) are great. I'd follow up with a good serum/ blow dry lotion- I love moroccanoil, although I've heard some people don't like it so maybe test it out first, I've seen travel sizes in a Peter Marks before!

Coconut oil is really good too for deep conditioning, you can buy it in a health food store- don't bother with the ones you can get in Boots. I love the smell! Take about two teaspoons worth of oil out of the jar, put it in a cup, melt the oil in the microwave for about 3 mins- otherwise it will be solid and too hard to apply. Then put the heated oil on your hair, put a shower cap on and then wrap a heated towel/ turban around it, leave for as long as you can, rinse and shampoo!

As you can tell, I love hair products :)

wow you know your stuff, you must have lovely hair! i will give all those things a go. thanks so much for your advice x

wow you know your stuff, you must have lovely hair! i will give all those things a go. thanks so much for your advice x

I'm just an out and out product junkie! I'm forever trying out new conditioners and hair stuff!

Hope it works for you :)

• Advertisement

Although I agree with all the products mentioned above..

If your hair is only slightly damaged, they will help improve it.

But.... I had that happen to my hair... and I really do not think you
    should carry on bleaching it.

I will warn anyone that will listen.. all my hair completely broke off.. and I was getting my hair done slowly.. building up the blonde with higlights..

I had to get a bob.. all broke off :( So sad... as my hair was long!

My advice: Please be careful.. especially since your hairdresser said it's breaking off from the root? Bad bad bad sign!
    Do NOT put more bleach on top of that! There's only so much products can do for your hair.. they will not fix already broken hair.

yikes...

i'm scared now... my hair is in a bob now so cannot go any shorter!

so what happens? how to i go form bleach to something else?? i want to stay blonde. it suits me way way better than my natural boring colour.

I would be concerned that your hairdresser is still putting the bleach in the full length of your hair after a year. I've been getting highlights since I was 15 and they only ever do the roots - except when I get another colour through it and they do the full length. My hair is in pretty good condition, considering I hate getting it cut so only do so maybe 3 times a year.

If I was you I would probably change hairdressers tbh. She should have advised you that your hair was getting bad well before it actually broke.

And just on the argan oil, I noticed yesterday that penneys are selling it in small bottles at the tills.

she does only do the roots... see what happened was i moved out of the country for awhile and had to find a new hairdresser, when i got back my hairdresser told me they had been doing my whole head. and she would only do the roots for me - as she always had.
    she did say that the broken ones are because the other hairdresser had overdone it.

she does only do the roots... see what happened was i moved out of the country for awhile and had to find a new hairdresser, when i got back my hairdresser told me they had been doing my whole head. and she would only do the roots for me - as she always had.
    she did say that the broken ones are because the other hairdresser had overdone it.

Ah ok. Well that's good then, I wouldn't be so worried then. If she says she can fix it, let her and get a load of product on to it. Such a pity the other one didn't know what she was doing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

it sounds like your hair is over bleached. you need a few good treatments.
    my hair was gone bad last summer from a allergic reaction to a chemical in a hairdye and i had some steam treatments done on my hair and it really improved it, i use Moroccan oil too and its improved alot.
    ghds dont help either. i get my roots done every 2-3 months, any more often then that leaves my hair very dry and brittle. i would hate if i had to cut my hair its very long.

thanks for all the advice :)

so is keratase available in boots? i will get some morrocan oil.

can my hairdresser put a different blonde dye in my roots as opposed to bleach? would that be healthier? i must go in and ask her :pac:

thanks for all the advice :)

so is keratase available in boots? i will get some morrocan oil.

can my hairdresser put a different blonde dye in my roots as opposed to bleach? would that be healthier? i must go in and ask her :pac:

Kerastase is only available in Hair salons- they are expensive but I believe at the moment Peter Marks are doing a discount on kerastase/ redken products!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Redken used to do a treatment from their extreme range called deep fuel, it was the best product in the range but appears to be discontinued, definitely worth a look on eBay for it though.

Another good product is Philip Kinglsey elasticizer and they also do an extreme version.

You could start putting coconut oil in your hair before bleaching, you apply bleach over the oil and it protects it and still allows the bleach to take properly.

Tayla wrote: »
    Redken used to do a treatment from their extreme range called deep fuel, it was the best product in the range but appears to be discontinued, definitely worth a look on eBay for it though.

Another good product is Philip Kinglsey elasticizer and they also do an extreme version.

You could start putting coconut oil in your hair before bleaching, you apply bleach over the oil and it protects it and still allows the bleach to take properly.

Yeah, extreme cat is the closest equivalent to deep fuel.

went into peter marks today... i was talking to a girl in there and she recommended some stuff - got kerastase for damaged hair and some moroccan oil.
    will try both of these things tomorrow. they were expensive! but if they work it will be worth it.

i think i might get addicted to buying hair care stuff!
    so coconut oil is good too? i bet that makes the hair smell amazing!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Sashiee

the morrocian oil is absolutly brilliant for dry hair,

ive been constantly dying my hair blonde and the last time i visited the hair salon they couldnt believe the great condition and shine from my hair.

Was buying ot from sally salon services but was recently in Penneys of all places and saw they have little test tube size bottles of the morrocian oil for 2 euro.

its so cheap and cheerful and the best for dry hair!

Kerastase is only available in Hair salons- they are expensive but I believe at the moment Peter Marks are doing a discount on kerastase/ redken products!

just did some research from another irish beauty blog and found that you can get salon size kerastase products for quite a bit cheaper and the stuff lasts ages!!

wont have to buy another shampoo/ conditioner for months!!

http://www.strawberrynet.com/main.aspx?src_affiliate=4489

Sashiee wrote: »
    just did some research from another irish beauty blog and found that you can get salon size kerastase products for quite a bit cheaper and the stuff lasts ages!!

wont have to buy another shampoo/ conditioner for months!!

http://www.strawberrynet.com/main.aspx?src_affiliate=4489

omg.. brilliant news.

how much oil do you use? and do you use it everyday?

i hope you dont mind me asking but what do you use to colour your hair? :)

omg.. brilliant news.

how much oil do you use? and do you use it everyday?

i hope you dont mind me asking but what do you use to colour your hair? :)

I use the oil in the shower after my usual conditioner just onthe ends of my hair as it can make your roots quite greasy!
    it can be used on wet hair or sometimes i put it on my curls when its styled as a serum (the teeeniest bit!)

I'm currently trying to tone down the blonde in my hair so ive carmel lowlights through it at the moment, it's a lot darker then my usual but it's so natural and it's lasting a lot longer re: root touch ups!

• Advertisement

just wondering also... if i decide the bleach isn't working out in my hair.. is it possible to apply a blonde hair dy on the roots and allow the bleach to grow out? i think i found another little bit where hair has broken off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

I don't have advice on the bleaching, but for getting your hair back in good shape, your diet is pretty important too!
    I'm not a nutritionist, so I don't know exactly what to tell you to be eating, but I noticed that my hair & nails grow really quickly when I'm taking multivitamins (I take Pharmaton usually; they're strong & expensive, but very effective).
    So even if you do have to lose some of the length, there might be foods you could be including in your diet that will promote stronger / quicker hair growth!

i take omega, vitamin b and vitamin c. (if i've no vitamin c i take a multi vitamin) every day :(
    i do diet, but i eat a lot of fruit vegetables, fish, eggs and oats.

thanks for the advice! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Sashiee wrote: »
    the morrocian oil is absolutly brilliant for dry hair,

ive been constantly dying my hair blonde and the last time i visited the hair salon they couldnt believe the great condition and shine from my hair.

Was buying ot from sally salon services but was recently in Penneys of all places and saw they have little test tube size bottles of the morrocian oil for 2 euro.

its so cheap and cheerful and the best for dry hair!

It actually works out cheaper per ml to buy the big bottle of Moroccanoil than the smaller ones from Penneys.

3.3c per ml for the 125ml bottle of Moroccanoil
    9c per ml for the Penneys one.

Just so you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I don't have advice on the bleaching, but for getting your hair back in good shape, your diet is pretty important too!
    I'm not a nutritionist, so I don't know exactly what to tell you to be eating, but I noticed that my hair & nails grow really quickly when I'm taking multivitamins (I take Pharmaton usually; they're strong & expensive, but very effective).
    So even if you do have to lose some of the length, there might be foods you could be including in your diet that will promote stronger / quicker hair growth!

This is true, my hairdresser is always recommending Perfectil, which is especially for skin, hair & nails (her husband's a doctor!). But I'd say any multi-vitamin would also be beneficial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭meelyb

Buy your Kerastase online- Feel Unique offer free delivery and the sterling (as usual) works out better than Peter Marks, even when they have 20% off!Also, you can pick a favourite 'VIP' brand and you always get 10% more off this brand. I've picked Kerastase. The Aqua Oleum treatments usually cost me about £17/€20 for four. They charge you 12-15 euro for ONE treatment if you get it done in a salon. Look Fantastic do similar prices. Both websites always have some 2-5% promo code knocking about on the Net too if you search properly. They come to An Post too, so no messing about with missing couriers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭sunshiner

why dont you make an appointment for a free consultation with your hairdresser and discuss the bleach,there may be a few alternatives they might use high lift colour ie blondes it may depend on how dark your hair is with the result. I defo think its work talking to your hairdresser.

all the mentioned treatments are good, but you need a good shampoo see what they recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

As a frequent bleacher of my hair and having previously had that problem I'm afraid to say the only way I could fix mine was to just stop bleaching.

I used Kerestats, Redkin etc but in the end I just had to stop bleaching and give my hair a rest.

yeah i agree, i've bought all the stuff recommended but it hasn't put my mind at ease, if it is has worked for my hair. next time i go to the hair dressers i'll be getting something else done and definitely not getting the bleach.

i'll post back and let everyone know what my hairdresser says :pac:

• Advertisement

got my hair done the other day. i told my hairdresser i was worried about the bleach and she agreed it was time to switch. so she put highlights in with just blonde hair dye.
    she said it wouldn't be as blonde as the bleach but i cant really notice a difference in terms of the colour - it still looks blonde to me!
    it was much easier to comb through after my shower so i take it in time the bleach will grow out and my hair will return to normal condition?

Advertisement