Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much data do YOU use?

Options
  • 17-03-2012 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have an X10 but right now I'm on a useless PAYG plan so most days I dont use my HSPA connection. I'm looking at porting to Vodafone to get 150MB per month, but, I'm worried its far too little. I'm what one would class as a "Power User" (4.3 PPD on boards for instance) and when I do turn on data I tend to use it a lot(until that damn 15% warning :p ). I can forgo watching any videos but as pure browsing and push notifs go, is it enough?

So, one, how much do you use, and how would you class your usage patterns?

Two, are data caps strictly enforced?

TIA,
    ED E

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

ED E wrote: »
    Hey all,

I have an X10 but right now I'm on a useless PAYG plan so most days I dont use my HSPA connection. I'm looking at porting to Vodafone to get 150MB per month, but, I'm worried its far too little. I'm what one would class as a "Power User" (4.3 PPD on boards for instance) and when I do turn on data I tend to use it a lot(until that damn 15% warning :p ). I can forgo watching any videos but as pure browsing and push notifs go, is it enough?

TIA,
    ED E

I use 60-80GB per month (60,000-80,000MB). I'm a super heave user though, I would estimate it will use about 1mb per page (0.5MB for a mobile site) you view. So you could use 150 pages before its up. They are very stirct, 150.01MB and you'll be charged 99c.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Hey all,

TIA,
    ED E

Port to three much better deal calls text and unlimited internet 20e topup job done

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mt7L8.png

This is appealing, kind of. Free texts(Any network) and Data are what I care about, I make very few calls. What concerns me is three doing their usual budget thing and having huge contention.

Also:
    * Excludes minimum €5 mandatory top-up.
    Is that suggesting that you actually need to top up by 25/month to get the benfits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

I would use 2Gigs a month easily. And I wouldnt exactly be a power user.
    Now with VOIP and webtexts and IM networks are unable to gouge money out of their customers on calls and texts. They must find new ways, and massive charges per MB is it.
    You are just asking to be the victim who makes up the deficit for them if you take anything less than a gig a month.
    They want you to go over your limit. Thats the only reason they are reducing limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

mt7L8.png

This is appealing, kind of. Free texts(Any network) and Data are what I care about, I make very few calls. What concerns me is three doing their usual budget thing and having huge contention.

Also:

Is that suggesting that you actually need to top up by 25/month to get the benfits?

The €5 is for the purchase of the sim. It's only €20 top up per month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I use pretty much all of my 10 GB allowance per month - mostly streaming videos and music, some work tethering thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I use approx 1.2gb per month on my 3g data. On wifi where I use youtube and other video sites I would use a further 5 or 6gb's. I reserve my 3g strictly for general browsing as video just eats data. i dont watch video on the go so it suits me fine to wait until i get home to use my wifi.

Thanks for the input everyone(keep it coming, such threads are good resources).

What I think Ill do is get a 3 sim and swap to it for a week, with my regular sim in a backup phone. If it works out well then I can proceed to port. If not its only 25 quid.

Losing webtexts would suck though, typing and sending large group messages are so much easier with cabbage.

Losing webtexts would suck though, typing and sending large group messages are so much easier with cabbage.

You get 333 webtexts with Three

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭pigeon999

Thanks for the input everyone(keep it coming, such threads are good resources).

What I think Ill do is get a 3 sim and swap to it for a week, with my regular sim in a backup phone. If it works out well then I can proceed to port. If not its only 25 quid.

If you plan on using an old phone (make sure it has 3G) you will need to put in apn settings and you might need to select network if it says you are roaming( I had to)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I use roughly between 2GB and 4GB a month on my phone. I have UPC broadband which I use more when at home.

GarIT wrote: »
    You get 333 webtexts with Three

Is that a relatively new thing? But good stuff anyways.
    pigeon999 wrote: »
    If you plan on using an old phone (make sure it has 3G) you will need to put in apn settings and you might need to select network if it says you are roaming( I had to)

I'll be using the x10 fokr the three sim and I know how to configure it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Is that a relatively new thing? But good stuff anyways.

I'll be using the x10 fokr the three sim and I know how to configure it thanks.

No it isn't a new thing. The webtexts are for Irish numbers only, not internationally.

So yeah, left my data on for the weekend. Burned all my remaining credit, 14€.

Didnt use that much either, and only ~€5 is reflected in my bill :| Anyways, FTS, here I come three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

So yeah, left my data on for the weekend. Burned all my remaining credit, 14€.

Didnt use that much either, and only ~€5 is reflected in my bill :| Anyways, FTS, here I come three.

If you're switching to Three prepay, it's a good idea to set a reminder in your phone's calendar for the day the unlimited data runs out - ideally this is done straight after you top up. You can view the date in My3, but they don't send reminder texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I use O2's 700mb data bundle for €9.99. I've got it pretty good with O2, top up by 20 euro a month, get an additional 20 euro free each month and free texts. Generally only spend my credit on data, as I think I use about 2 data bundles a month - so 1.4gb or thereabouts.
    I've started using skype to make voice calls recently, an hour long call uses roughly 100mb. Just contemplating here, but that works out at costing around €1.42. For a call to Australia that's not bad at all! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Around 1Gb of data. 5-7 gb over WiFi.

My limit for data is 1GB. Feel pretty limited on that. Mostly Facebook, email, twitter , browsing and apps. Though would start using more stuff if data allowance allowed.

Sweet spot for me would be 3GB. Wish meteor would up their allowances.

Three got pretty good offer but coverage for me with them and service is brutal so don't wanna switch there. Vodafone and O2 have lower allowances too :(

Can't justify going for a higher bill just for data as I don't even use up half of my allocated mins or texts. Just a quarter even sometimes. Most of my calls and texts are on the same network so I don't get charged.

Yeah, the aul fella is on 2GB and they've tried to sneakily downgrade him but he's not so naive. He uses his iPhone for work so he'd be nuts to go any lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I use three and I have used 14.5 gigs in one month and there was no throttling. I am getting between 1 and 2mb speeds in most places and more in other areas. No complaints and as for their legendary bad customer service? Well I have only ever had to call them twice and they Were great on both times.

Also with three when you top up you instantly get your allowance even if its been more than a month since your last topup. Which is more than I can say for o2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I used over 50GB with Three one month on AYCE data didn't get the connection slowed down or anything 3's T&C's say they slow your connection after 15GB i think this is more scare tactics to stop people from using so much but i don't think their network has the ability to throttle peoples connections.

jay93 wrote: »
    I used over 50GB with Three one month on AYCE data didn't get the connection slowed down or anything 3's T&C's say they slow your connection after 15GB i think this is more scare tactics to stop people from using so much but i don't think their network has the ability to throttle peoples connections.

On top of everyone who uses mobile data would like to thank you for making everyone suffer thanks to your constant downloading.

Trully thanks

On top of everyone who uses mobile data would like to thank you for making everyone suffer thanks to your constant downloading.

Trully thanks

If he pays for the service he is right to use it, I don't see why anyone should have a problem with him, it should be the network that you give out about.

You mean the small percentage of people who abuse the mobile network. 3G was never meant for downloading lots of stuff. Stream a video once in a while or listen to a podcast yes. But not downloading masses of torrents on your phone.

Thanks to people like him the max speed I could reach on a normal day was 0.5 kbps when I was with Three for mobile broadband. I don't see the need to complain to the network, I just left and joined the network who can provide me with speeds close enough to advertised.

You mean the small percentage of people who abuse the mobile network. 3G was never meant for downloading lots of stuff. Stream a video once in a while or listen to a podcast yes. But not downloading masses of torrents on your phone.

Thanks to people like him the max speed I could reach on a normal day was 0.5 kbps when I was with Three for mobile broadband. I don't see the need to complain to the network, I just left and joined the network who can provide me with speeds close enough to advertised.

It's not abuse, the network could increase their capacity and produce decent speeds if they wanted. 3G was never meant for torrenting because the networks chose for it to be that way.

I wonder what kind of bandwidth they allow in the US with LTE connections that run at up to 14mbps...

Got my sim. Lookin good.

Date,ConnType,Lat,Lon,Download,Upload,Latency,ServerName,InternalIp,
    "2012-03-21 18:43","Umts","53.30497","-6.24770" ,1286,1315,119,"Dublin","
    "2012-03-21 18:42","Hspa","53.30491","-6.24781" ,628,1470,60,"Dublin","
    "2012-03-21 18:35","Hspa","53.30484","-6.24792" ,2356,1709,68,"Derry","
    "2012-03-21 18:33","Umts","53.30484","-6.24792" ,2933,1569,79,"Derry",
    "2012-03-21 18:32","Hspa","53.30484","-6.24792" ,2367,1011,62,"Derry","
    ^3
    o2:

"2012-03-18 19:52","Hspa","53.57769","-6.11187" ,1125,35,129,"Dublin","
    "2012-03-17 16:46","Hspa","53.32190","-6.25362" ,498,298,152,"Dublin","
    "2012-03-13 16:00","Hspa","53.38716","-6.16072" ,385,767,206,"Dublin","

"2012-02-19 22:04","Hspa","53.31109","-6.24811" ,1187,1258,1462,"Dublin",
    "2012-02-19 22:03","Hspa","53.31109","-6.24811" ,1223,780,256,"Dublin",
    "2012-02-19 21:50","Hspa","53.33695","-6.26148" ,2500,1197,153,"Dublin",

*Checks gps* Yeah, they're very rough, no stalking from that :P

Saleperson was helpful and activation was easy, and it cost 20 not 25. Will stall into town over the next few days and if things work well will port by the 7th of next month when my o2 30day period runs out.

Cheers boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

How is it abuse i pay for unlimited internet as advertised three have the right to slow me down but they never have and btw i only use the phone network after 12 am if i am doing anything data intensive i also pay for monthly broadband with 3 so if their network cant handle it its their problem and not mine.also i never torrented on my phone and dont even use them iver my broadband with 3 either

Advertisement