Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

29.70 for two cinema tickets in Vue,m Liffey Valley!

Options
  • 17-03-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Trying to book 2 seats in John Carter 3D.
    14.10 per ticket and 1.50 booking fee. Came to 29.70 for 2 tickets!

Same ticket in dundrum is under a tenner.

Liffey Valley and Vue cinemas just lost 5 customers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Trying to book 2 seats in John Carter 3D.
    14.10 per ticket and 1.50 booking fee. Came to 29.70 for 2 tickets!

Same ticket in dundrum is under a tenner.

Liffey Valley and Vue cinemas just lost 5 customers.

How ever will they cope?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

lala88 wrote: »
    How ever will they cope?

Whats the reason for the sarcasm?

Yea, my family's ticket sales loss wont dent them, but as consumers, all we can do if someone is charging ripoff prices is take our money somewhere else.

Perhaps more people will do the same. I was just making folks aware of the prices. Thats how its supposed to work. someone charges too much, customers go to their competitor.

Based on your comment you sound like the kind of person who doesnt look at prices of anything, pretty much the sort of person thats personifies whats wrong with this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

How ever will they cope?

Troll:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

How ever will they cope?

Someone got lost on their way to the 'After Hours' boards!

OP - Your dead right,we have an inherent ability to whine & moan about the rip off culture thats out there at the mo but other than the whine & moan the majority seem to just shrug their shoulders with an "ah well,we'll take it anyway" mentality, it's almost like there's a stigma attached to been prudent and not wanting to be ripped off.

I have to ask though, 2 tickets - lost 5 customers,how so?

VUE in Liffey Valley have people by the short n curlies in that they're the only cinema this side of town,Last time I went there was with my son to see Transformers 3D,between tickets,snacks (the usual popcorn,drinks,ice cream and/or sweets) and taxi home didnt leave much change from €80.I wonder how the prices will compare when the new 12 screen opens at The Square in Tallaght (end of this month afaik - cant come too soon).

They lost two tickets this instance, but there are 5 people in my family, none of whom will be back to vue cinemas at those prices.

• Advertisement

Whats the reason for the sarcasm?

Yea, my family's ticket sales loss wont dent them, but as consumers, all we can do if someone is charging ripoff prices is take our money somewhere else.

Perhaps more people will do the same. I was just making folks aware of the prices. Thats how its supposed to work. someone charges too much, customers go to their competitor.

Based on your comment you sound like the kind of person who doesnt look at prices of anything, pretty much the sort of person thats personifies whats wrong with this country.

No alot of the time i dont look at the prices of things because unlike most people on hear or the country over all i dont let the want of money and greed rule my life.

Yes the people who dont look for things for less is whats wrong with the country.......

Oh look foggy_lad likes this what a surprise.....

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Someone got lost on their way to the 'After Hours' boards!

OP - Your dead right,we have an inherent ability to whine & moan about the rip off culture thats out there at the mo but other than the whine & moan the majority seem to just shrug their shoulders with an "ah well,we'll take it anyway" mentality, it's almost like there's a stigma attached to been prudent and not wanting to be ripped off.

I have to ask though, 2 tickets - lost 5 customers,how so?

VUE in Liffey Valley have people by the short n curlies in that they're the only cinema this side of town,Last time I went there was with my son to see Transformers 3D,between tickets,snacks (the usual popcorn,drinks,ice cream and/or sweets) and taxi home didnt leave much change from €80.I wonder how the prices will compare when the new 12 screen opens at The Square in Tallaght (end of this month afaik - cant come too soon).

How often are people actually ripped off? Unless there given something for half nothing there being ''ripped off'' it would seem

How often are people actually ripped off? Unless there given something for half nothing there being ''ripped off'' it would seem

No, when I'm being charged almost 50% more for an item or service, than its cost with a competitor, I'd consider it a ripoff.

If that item is 1 euro overpriced or 100, it's a ripoff. I work hard for my money, so I want it to go as far as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Oh look foggy_lad likes this what a surprise.....

lala88 Please post in a helpful and constructive manner.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No alot of the time i dont look at the prices of things because unlike most people on hear or the country over all i dont let the want of money and greed rule my life.

Yes the people who dont look for things for less is whats wrong with the country.......

Expecting a fair deal isn't being greedy. Not getting a fair deal is tantamount to being legally mugged.

If the general consensus were that people never get ripped off, this forum wouldn't exist, and if everyone in the country followed your unique philosophy, and didn't keep an eye on prices, it wouldn't exist either.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Expecting a fair deal isn't being greedy. Not getting a fair deal is tantamount to being legally mugged.

If the general consensus were that people never get ripped off, this forum wouldn't exist, and if everyone in the country followed your unique philosophy, and didn't keep an eye on prices, it wouldn't exist either.

Yes but like i said unless people are given something for half nothing its not a fair deal to them it would seem going by people on hear. So yes it is greed something this forum isn't shy about encouraging

Quite more often than not! Unless your of the type that only uses the same shop/service day in day out without varying your options you can see the rip off price difference's for the same product(s) in various outlets! see comparision in original post as 1 case in point Vue Cinema - €14.90 versus Dundrum Cinema - €9.50 to me that constitutes a rip off.
    Yes but like i said unless people are given something for half nothing its not a fair deal to them it would seem going by people on hear. So yes it is greed something this forum isn't shy about encouraging

Rubbish! and that statement would seem to back up 'Doom's point in post 3 i.e. that you are trolling! as would a quick glance over your postings
    http://www.boards.ie/search/?u=484614&sort=newest

To be prudent with your spending,wanting value for money,or the best deal on offer for your hard earned is not been greedy! it's called been savvy!

There are countless examples of the rip off culture of retail/service providers in Ireland,you would have to be foolish with your income,pig ignorant or a complete moron not to see it.Retailers/Service providers bank on these traits in people.

We cant all afford to spend like it doesnt matter but as the saying goes "A fool & their money are soon parted"

Not that long ago someone posted saying they had got a new car and got a good bit of money off it then the next week seen there was a sale and then wanted more off the car is that not greed? They were even encouraged to lie about the place they got it from if they didn't give them more money off. How often do you see other examples of this on hear? If you pay for something and after say you've been ripped off is that not your own falt for buying it?

3 things:

1. In my case I didn't pay the crazy ticket prices. I walked away, as I always do when I'm unhappy about the price of something. Does that make me greedy? Rhetorical question, don't bother answering that.

2. you have issues with someone posting about missing out on a sale on a car after buying an item, then post your objections in that post.

3. This is a forum about questionable pricing. If you want to debate the finer points of greed and other failings, perhaps the philosophy forum might be a better fit for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

No, when I'm being charged almost 50% more for an item or service, than its cost with a competitor, I'd consider it a ripoff.

If that item is 1 euro overpriced or 100, it's a ripoff. I work hard for my money, so I want it to go as far as possible.

Cinema prices are a bit of a rip off, dont go that often anymore, but avoid the popcorn and drinks, doubles the price. Dundrum means you have to pay parking though?? not in liffey, not sure how much that saves, plus the drive.
    If you go regular might be worth looking at cineworld, used to have deals, not sure how much that works out or if they still do it, or maybe to matinees/off peak show times, might be a bit cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Not that long ago someone posted saying they had got a new car and got a good bit of money off it then the next week seen there was a sale and then wanted more off the car is that not greed? They were even encouraged to lie about the place they got it from if they didn't give them more money off. How often do you see other examples of this on hear? If you pay for something and after say you've been ripped off is that not your own falt for buying it?

That's got nothing to do with this thread, it's completely different.

I can't dispute anything you've just said above,I cant take it as bond either,and I can't see it's relevance to this topic? You've gone off on a tangent with subject matter of a different nature entirely.

Stick to the topic of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

You could do what i do, head into the clarion get a two course thai meal and a cinema ticket for €20.

Two tickets in dundrum is about 19 euros. Parking is only 2 euro so thats a winner right now, based on cost and location. I don't eat sweets, fizzy drinks, popcorn so although they are extortionately priced, it's never really an issue for us.

The clarion sounds like a nice idea, must look into that! They used to do something similar in benegans before it closed.

• Advertisement

Merch wrote: »
    Cinema prices are a bit of a rip off, dont go that often anymore, but avoid the popcorn and drinks, doubles the price. Dundrum means you have to pay parking though?? not in liffey, not sure how much that saves, plus the drive.
    If you go regular might be worth looking at cineworld, used to have deals, not sure how much that works out or if they still do it, or maybe to matinees/off peak show times, might be a bit cheaper?

I agree re: cinema prices today,although I have to say I was surprised to find that Dundrum Cinema prices were alot less than Vue Liffey Valley.True there is the expense of parking but if 5 people save a potential €25 on ticket prices even after paying parking (rough guess at 2 hrs parking costing less than €5) you've still saved €20.

While cinema rules regarding 'snacks' seem to have relaxed these days (i.e. you can bring your own shop bought snacks/drinks to some) it is part of the experience of going to the cinema to have a bucket of warm popcorn to share,but yeah again I agree,the prices for these snacks are a bit much,maybe an idea to buy sweets/drinks in the shop before hand and just splash out on the popcorn at the cinema.

I undersstand there are peak & off peak times in business but it always irks me that to see the same movie in the same cinema can vary in price to the tune of €5-6 euro,it's blatant profiteering given that most people's free time is at weekends and not during the day Mon-Fri

Another example I find of the rip off culture here is with a certain low cost airline,now I have the benefit of knowing 3-4 weeks prior to flying so I can avail of the low cost prices,the early morning flight time,no tax added,no booking fee options/offers so usually I get my return tickets for as little as €30.Speaking to a guy on the flight last month and he had paid €145 as he'd only booked his a week previously,that one return flight had set him back what it would cost me for 4 (possibly 5) return tickets.

The same airline have now added new add on prices for certain seats (which I've noticed now remain empty on most flights) in a blatant attempt to bump up the cost.They offer cheap low fares then try to claw back profit with ridiculous add on's,god knows what his next card will be!

That said,I've the benefit of ample prior notice so I will continue to use them as I always get the best deal possible and it's only a 45-50min flight so I can do without 'extra leg room' or been first on & first off.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    You could do what i do, head into the clarion get a two course thai meal and a cinema ticket for €20.

Really? thats not a bad deal at all,is this advertised anywhere? I could go for that,given the OP's original quoted price ( €14.90 ) a 2 course Thai meal for €5.10 is value for money in anyones book!

Nice 1 man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Really? thats not a bad deal at all,is this advertised anywhere? I could go for that,given the OP's original quoted price ( €14.90 ) a 2 course Thai meal for €5.10 is value for money in anyones book!

Nice 1 man :)

I think its on the clarion website, or give them a ring. I done it a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Fwiw brownsbarn at Citywest also do a free vue cinema ticket with a 2 course meal for €20, hopefully the new cinema in the square will bring along some good competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Was booking the same film for myself & my son. €24 in Vue, €14 in Dundrum. Granted Dundrum had further reduced prices because of their 'early bird' offer, but even at regular times, Dundrum would have been cheaper.

No brainer really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

5500 wrote: »
    Fwiw brownsbarn at Citywest also do a free vue cinema ticket with a 2 course meal for €20, hopefully the new cinema in the square will bring along some good competition

Dont know whats all this about getting a meal and then you get free or discounted ticket prices for the cinema, what if you just want to go to the cinema!?
    no doubt terms and conditions apply anyway
    It wont for a start include drinks (I find it unlikely that it will) which will be expensive, plus its well out of the way, so if you dont have transport its extra hassle. I dont even get what the attraction of eating at the clarion which is just a short distance away?? If you want to go the cinema, your only option to get a ticket at good value shouldnt be to have a meal somewhere else beforehand?

Advertisement