Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House break-ins (Balbriggan)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I have sent on a copy of all your posts to one of the organisers to read as they cannot log onto here, so they are aware of the points you and others have brought up.

I dont believe that there is another agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Im wondering why no one is saying who is organising the meeting???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Soccer Mom

I'm quite sure they're aware of all the attention they're getting at this stage. Would talk of patrolling not give them the heads up? Maybe some of this should be discussed in the meeting rather than publicly?

Just a thought.

two more last night:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Soccer Mom wrote: »
    I'm quite sure they're aware of all the attention they're getting at this stage. Would talk of patrolling not give them the heads up? Maybe some of this should be discussed in the meeting rather than publicly?

Just a thought.

Yeah a heads up to stop what they are at as people are becoming annoyed etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Soccer Mom wrote: »

Just a thought.

The other argument is that all this talk and coverage will scare them off so preventing further robberies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

This is a copy of the email sent from the Balbriggan Community Policing Forum this afternoon. It is their public response to the discussions proposed tonight. I have nothing got to do with them but I do receive updates from them as I support what they do and attend their meetings as & when I can. If anybody would like to contact the Community Development Worker I will happily pass on their details:
    Dear all

Many residents of Balbriggan are very concerned re the increase in break ins to both private and residential properties in the area in particular over the past few weeks. I would like to relay an important message to all residents from the Balbriggan Garda Station which is as follows.

1. The Balbriggan Garda Station are fully aware of the increase in Burglaries in particular over the past three weeks.
    2. The Balbriggan Garda Station have at present an operation in place which is a definite proactive response to the above.

Kind Regards

*next Balbriggan Community Policing Forum public meeting Wednesday 23rd May 2012 7.30pm Town Hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭undergroundvibe

I know the the people running the meeting personally and there is no hidden agenda. They are concerned residents wondering when will their house be robbed. It is an open meeting and everyone will get a chance to air their opinions.

Unfortunately there has been little communication to the wider community about what these other organisations are doing about the problem.

I live and know people in the estates that are being robbed on a nightly basis and nobody has noticed an increased garda presence.

This is a chance for concerned residents to get their voice heard and to show we wont this crime wave to end.

Tonights meeting notes will be addressed with the Gardai and TDs.

Patroling the estates is one of many ideas that will be raised but in no shape or form is this the only option. People can decide for themselves the best options and with a bit of luck form stronger community ties to deal with crime.

Unfortunately no TD or Gardai are able to attend tonight.

Unfortunately there has been little communication to the wider community about what these other organisations are doing about the problem.

Hardly an accurate comment considering all public community policing forum meetings are announced on both Balbriggan Facebook pages, regularly here, the Town Council Page, local newspapers & by text and email to local residents' associations and community groups. Nevermind the noticeboard in the Library & the Garda Station. I would say that people never bothered with these meetings before as they weren't directly impacted by crime in the area.

I'm not surprised on the lack of attendance as it was very short notice.

I hope the meeting goes well but I equally hope the organisers will take advantage of the hard work other members of the community have done already to set the Forum in place with all the communication channels ready to go. Having to liaise with another groupon policing issues in the area may put pressure on a Garda service that is under resourced as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Eoineo wrote: »
    Hardly an accurate comment considering all public community policing forum meetings are announced on both Balbriggan Facebook pages, regularly here, the Town Council Page, local newspapers & by text and email to local residents' associations and community groups. Nevermind the noticeboard in the Library & the Garda Station. I would say that people never bothered with these meetings before as they weren't directly impacted by crime in the area.

I would have attended but never knew where they were or when. I wasn't signed up to the Balbriggan.net facebook page and I always forget to check their own website.

I'll be making sure to attend them in the future. I really like the town and would like to get more involved with it if I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I use to respect you Jim until you said those words:D

I think the lesson learned is never trust the news feed from Facebook or Twitter. The two garda cars rammed at the Man O War never existed but it did heighten tensions and raise the usual comments abut baseball bats. If your feeling unsafe ring the Garda for advice.

:pac:
    I'm sorry cardinal. I don't listen to him normally. Someone text me and said it was on so I listened in.
    I'll say a decat of the rosary for my sins!!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

Someone tried to break into my house in moylaragh at 3.30am this morning.They tried to get through the kitchen window but alarm went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

Very lucky you had your alarm.. We all need to be very vigilent

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

I didnt go last night cos i had to work
    What was said at the meeting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Some suspicious people walking around Rush today but their Jehovah Witnesses so put the baseball bat down and no releasing the hounds just yet.:D

Fancourt heights held a meeting.there was a good turn out but the Garda didnt show.i understand they are busy. It is so frustrating .

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Taken from Facebook yesterday. May not be true

'Apparently thieves caught in Townparks today, after robbing four houses in the estate. Hopefully this will be an end to the spate.'

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

At approximately half five or six this morning, I recall waking up and hearing a house alarm go off in the distance a few minutes later. About another five minutes later or so, I hear a vehicle siren (I can't differentiate the respective tones) - I assume it was the Gardaí on another attempted burglary but perhaps not? Anyody have any idea?

I heard that a man broke into my great-uncle's house on bridge street last night. He woke up to find him standing over him, claiming to have bought this house recently for €175,000. My great-uncle was having none of it and the man conceded, asking if he could buy his clothes because it's all he needed. He insisted my great-uncle stay where he is in bed, he's not going to hurt him and then he left with nothing apparently.
    It could be unrelated to the burglaries, but even if it was just a man high on drugs or similar, it's still quite threatening - or perhaps he attempted to confuse my great-uncle after waking him up and attain something?
    Actually, I just heard it has happened before where someone was under the impression the house was derelict - perhaps that is why :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

PaulD77 wrote: »
    Taken from Facebook yesterday. May not be true

'Apparently thieves caught in Townparks today, after robbing four houses in the estate. Hopefully this will be an end to the spate.'

Townparks, Skerries? Or is this in Balbriggan?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Skerries. Behind the Texaco garage.

• Advertisement

RedFFWolf wrote: »
    At approximately half five or six this morning, I recall waking up and hearing a house alarm go off in the distance a few minutes later. About another five minutes later or so, I hear a vehicle siren (I can't differentiate the respective tones) - I assume it was the Gardaí on another attempted burglary but perhaps not? Anyody have any idea?

I heard that a man broke into my great-uncle's house on bridge street last night. He woke up to find him standing over him, claiming to have bought this house recently for €175,000. My great-uncle was having none of it and the man conceded, asking if he could buy his clothes because it's all he needed. He insisted my great-uncle stay where he is in bed, he's not going to hurt him and then he left with nothing apparently.
    It could be unrelated to the burglaries, but even if it was just a man high on drugs or similar, it's still quite threatening - or perhaps he attempted to confuse my great-uncle after waking him up and attain something?
    Actually, I just heard it has happened before where someone was under the impression the house was derelict - perhaps that is why :o

By any chance did the guy have two dogs with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

The Balbriggan Community Policing Forum have issued another announcement:

Taken from the Bremorecastle.com website
    Dear all

Further to the email below which was sent out on Friday 23rd March

Many residents of Balbriggan are very concerned re the increase in break ins to both private and residential properties in the area in particular over the past few weeks. I would like to relay an important message to all residents from the Balbriggan Garda Station which is as follows.

The Balbriggan Garda Station are fully aware of the increase in Burglaries in particular over the past three weeks.
    The Balbriggan Garda Station have at present an operation in place which is a definite proactive response to the above.

I would like to relay the following message from the Balbriggan Garda Station:

1. In relation to the recent increase in Burglaries and the operation that is in place a number of significant arrests have been made and also vehicles have been seized.

2. The operation overseen by the Assistant Commissioner and Chief Superintendent will remain in place .

Kind Regards

Louise Butler

Community Development Worker

Balbriggan Community Policing Forum

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

So many local websites, why cant everything be located on one fecking community forum or something!!! anyway good news all round. maybe the end is in sight!?

Morphéus wrote: »
    So many local websites, why cant everything be located on one fecking community forum or something!!! anyway good news all round. maybe the end is in sight!?

It went up on the community websites yesterday after a mass email was sent to all community groups.

Just to point out that people should not be "breathing a sigh of relief" or thinking that the threat of their homes being broken into has passed. In general people should remain security aware.

I just quoted it from BremoreCastle.com because that's the site I manage, and I knew I'd have no problems quoting content from it.

Different groups have different requirements, and I don't see a problem with a residents' association having its own site.

But that's off topic. As others have said, this information was posted to most of the main community sites yesterday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

ah no, im glad it was sent out and i use this site and facebook balbriggan.net as my main points of call... i like your site by the way... my own estate "chieftains way" used to have one (and an association) but not sure its managed any more.

ah no, im glad it was sent out and i use this site and facebook balbriggan.net as my main points of call... i like your site by the way... my own estate "chieftains way" used to have one (and an association) but not sure its managed any more.

Ah well, these small sites can be more hassle than they're worth sometimes. ;) But it is good for getting the word out about community events in the estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Starting to get some exposure now. This is front page of the Evening Herald today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Advertisement