Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda Deauville gear trouble

• 17-03-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a problem with my gears on my honda deauville ntv700. It seems after a half hr or so of driving it I am unable to easily switch into neutral when stopped at junctions etc. Instead it goes from 1st to 2nd and back to 1st again as I press the lever up and down. I have to put it into 2nd and then briskly tap it to get it into neutral. When the engine is cold starting off I have no trouble and can switch into neutral no problem as you would normally do. Got any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

It sounds like your clutch cable needs to be lubed or adjusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

As spiggotpaddy says you may need your clutch cable adjusted or you've a warped clutch plate. Yes, you could have a warped clutch plate :(

Happened to me and it behaved as you described. Simply test, is you put the bike up on the rear stand and engage 1st. Pull the clutch. If the rear wheel spins with significant force (as opposed to a loose fluid drive) then you're clutch isn't full disengaging the drive and more than likely you've a warped plate.

A common issue - I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

OK that sounds bad but very possible allright. I'll try the test you describe and see what happens. Thank you both for you help guys.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,414 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Check the oil level as well - but it's probably the cable (and hopefully not the plates.)

Scrap the cap!

Unfortunately it's the plates. I got the opinion of a bike mechanic and I tried the test described above. When I have the bike on its centre stand and put it in 1st gear and hold in the clutch, the back wheel turns and continues to spin again even after stopping it using the foot brake - which would indicate that the wheel is not disengaging from the drive when the clutch is pulled.

Now im bracing myself for the cost:eek:

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Papa_Bear wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's the plates. I got the opinion of a bike mechanic and I tried the test described above. When I have the bike on its centre stand and put it in 1st gear and hold in the clutch, the back wheel turns and continues to spin again even after stopping it using the foot brake - which would indicate that the wheel is not disengaging from the drive when the clutch is pulled.

Now im bracing myself for the cost:eek:

Cheers

Just to keep in mind, it will always spin. The difference is how much force is behind it. For example, on mine I can easily stop it and hold it with my hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,414 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And a wrongly adjusted cable will have the same effect - the clutch will never disengage all the way - did the mechanic check the cable adjustment?

Scrap the cap!

The clutch cable has been adjusted as best as possible by the nechanic Ninja900.

Cuddlesworth, the back wheel spins fairly forcefully so much so that I can only stop it with the foot brake. Tried stopping it buy putting my foot to the tyre and no joy.

cheers lads

Advertisement