Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muamba Injury Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Is it just me or does 'injury' not sound right?

Thats what I thought too when I saw it. Maybe just Muamba Thread would be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

It's important that we get the naming of the thread right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

More messages of goodwill for Muamba tonight in La Liga, this time from Barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Renn wrote: »
    It's important that we get the naming of the thread right...

May I put forward "Muamba el infarto"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Report on SSN saying he's laughing & joking with friends at the hospital,great news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

zerks wrote: »
    Report on SSN saying he's laughing & joking with friends at the hospital,great news.

Unbelievable news. Each day is another step to his recovery. Great credit to the doctors and medical teams who where on the pitch that evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its great news that he is making such a recovery and a testament to the medical people and what they can do these days.

On a different point, and this is by no means meant to be in any way offensive, but we were discussing in work the other day the whole Muamba incident, and some reckon he only got so much work on him (for a few hours) because he was a top EPL footballer. Many thought that if it was you or me, they would have called us dead after maybe 15mins and moved on, whereas he got so much attention. Probably true, but thats maybe because it was a high profile cardiac arrest on live tv, and if they had given up after 15mins with him it would not have been accepted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

That is really really unbelievable :) Don't think he'd care too much if he can't play football again with the knowledge of what happened.

Anyone know how much twitter followers he had before Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think its safe to assume his career is over for sure.

De La Red at Real Madrid had to retire after he passed out a couple of seasons ago and no cause could be found. Think he was around 27 or 28. Doctors advised him too dangerous to continue despite him suffering no ill effects from the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Oh yeah forgot about him. Pretty sure at 18.20 he'd have taken that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

been a while since i sat readin boards with a smile on my face - and really couldnt see this outcome on sat evening, but i'm genuinely delighted for the guy that he's making an apparent recovery!!!!

Anyone else surprised by how much this has affected them? - Cant say I ever took an interest in Muamba, or his career, and I am definitely not a fan of Bolton, but I've followed this story from the time it happened with a genuine concern for the lad, and am really glad that it looks like he's on the mend....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think its safe to assume his career is over for sure.

De La Red at Real Madrid had to retire after he passed out a couple of seasons ago and no cause could be found. Think he was around 27 or 28. Doctors advised him too dangerous to continue despite him suffering no ill effects from the incident.

Clive Clarke is another example.

People talking about players with heart conditions is one thing but suffering a cardiac arrest is a different matter.

Could have seriously damaged his heart. He may live a normal life but not be a pro athlete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Its great news that he is making such a recovery and a testament to the medical people and what they can do these days.

On a different point, and this is by no means meant to be in any way offensive, but we were discussing in work the other day the whole Muamba incident, and some reckon he only got so much work on him (for a few hours) because he was a top EPL footballer. Many thought that if it was you or me, they would have called us dead after maybe 15mins and moved on, whereas he got so much attention. Probably true, but thats maybe because it was a high profile cardiac arrest on live tv, and if they had given up after 15mins with him it would not have been accepted?

Maybe in America if you didn't have health insurance. But i imagine if anybody regardless of social status was tended to medically with the quickness that Muamba was no doctor is just going to give up if they believe that they can save a patient. Sure just look how often you hear of average joe's on life support machines.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm delighted, I really didn't think he'd even survive past Sunday morning... amazing recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Viva Muamba!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Most of us wouldn't have an ambulance so close so would be completely dead after 15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

The presence of the medical staff and ambulance in close proximity clearly saved Muamba's life (and doesn't it feel good to write that?). If you ever were to suffer a cardiac arrest, as horrible a thought as that is, then a Premier League pitch is arguably the best place it could happen to you

Had Muamba suffered this at home then he'd be dead, professional footballer or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Reekwind wrote: »
    The presence of the medical staff and ambulance in close proximity clearly saved Muamba's life (and doesn't it feel good to write that?). If you ever were to suffer a cardiac arrest, as horrible a thought as that is, then a Premier League pitch is arguably the best place it could happen to you

Had Muamba suffered this at home then he'd be dead, professional footballer or not

There is absolutely no way you can say that for certain.

While you may very well be right (and HUGE kudos must go to the medical staff at hand, and to the cardiologist from the crowd who told them to bring him to the London Chest Hospital, instead of the local emergency centre), but you can't say that for definite he would have died.

Don't be so ridiculous. If he was dead, he was dead - but he WASN'T. There was obviously erratic heart rhythm there or my understanding is that defib is pointless.

Once there are signs of life, and a so called 'shockable rhythm' the medical staff will continue to try stabilise unless he flat lines. The main concern with Muamba was probably not the heart rhythm, but the lack of oxygen getting to his brain - hence the CPR being performed throughout.

You have an extremely low / sceptical opinion to think that medical professionals - who save lives each and every day, would have some sort of favouritism towards what patients they have to deal with.

I've never heard such bull in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Apparantly there was a consultant cardiologist at the game who is also a spurs fan and he was allowed onto the pitch to advise, and told them what hospital to bring him to.

I reckon its probably that guy who saved Muamba's life.

I wouldn't be too sure how much the ordinary medics could have done, other than CPR and defibrilator.

They probably should have a cardiologist at all top level games but these occurances are rare enough in top level football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Apparantly there was a consultant cardiologist at the game who is also a spurs fan and he was allowed onto the pitch to advise, and told them what hospital to bring him to.

I wouldn't be too sure how much the ordinary medics could have done, other than CPR and defibrilator.

They probably should have a cardiologist at all top level games but these occurances are rare enough in top level football.

I said that in the post right above yours lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Yep Andrew Deaner. He's one of the guys thats now working on Muamba in the London Chest Hospital. The chances of one of their cardiologists being at the game is incredible. It's easy to say that if Muamba had been at home when this happened his chances of survival would have been significantly lower, but if it had even happened at another game, another week he might not have been so lucky. Very fortunate things happened the way they did.

http://www.tntmagazine.com/news/sport/dr-andrew-deaner-saved-fabrica-muamba-ran-from-stands-hailed-a-hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He's my fav player now, hope we sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I'm just delighted. that he survived. The question, if he will be able to be a professional footballer again, is not significant at all in the moment, imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

A tweet from Dan Roan

http://gyazo.com/2aa4a54666e0f28a78ce43880504fa6c

Tobin is Jonathan Tobin, Bolton's club doctor. 78 minutes!!! Its a near miracle his recovery is as good as it has been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Apparently Thierry flew from salt Lake City to visit muamba. Sound man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Effectively dead for 78 minutes! Bloody hell. I and others around me at the time were sure it was the worst. Delighted to hear the latest.

Footballs greatest ever comeback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

http://www.teamtalk.com/premier-league/7615317/Bolton-to-play-on-Muamba-latest

Despite being clinically dead for 48 minutes he was still able to retain a sense of humour: Deaner(the cardiologist), upon him waking up, asked his name; "Fabrice Muamba", to which Dener replied "I hear you're a very good footballer", his response: "I try"

Not only is he a breathing miracle he is an absolute hero as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Despite being dead for 48 hours

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

amacachi wrote: »
    What?

fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Muamba, upon waking from an induced
    coma asked his family for the latest news
    and was told Torres scored two goals. "Jesus,
    how many years have I been unconscious?"
    he asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Some good interviews on BBC with the club doctor and Andrew Deaner

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17460781

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Bolton Wanderers pledge unlimited support to Fabrice Muamba's recovery.

They've offered him an unlimited period to allow him to make the best possible recovery.

I didn't know it but they extended Joey O'Brien's contract when he was there despite the fact that he was sidelined and wasn't able to play for them. They did it to give him every opportunity to regain fitness.

It's great to see that some clubs out there aren't completely heartless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

he asked.

No he didn't. Sickipedia wants their joke back btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

A good article on the congratulations football has offered itself regarding its response to Muamba's heart attack.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/mar/21/fabrice-muamba-self-congratulation?CMP=twt_gu
    So instead of congratulating itself on its eminently civilised reaction to poor Muamba's suffering, the football family might instead care to wonder to what a pretty pass things have come for a basically humane reaction to be deemed so remarkable. How low does the game have to have sunk before not directing abuse at a player receiving CPR, not chanting something repulsive about his partner, or not ranting that Bolton should have played on with 10 men for the time-wasting is deemed to be a behavioural win?

Obviously a lot more on the link, thanks Sean....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

A good article on the congratulations football has offered itself regarding its response to Muamba's heart attack.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/mar/21/fabrice-muamba-self-congratulation?CMP=twt_gu

Jesus Christ, talk about a moral high-horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Can't really disagree with that.

Would people do the same if they visit a relative/friend in the hospital, and then walk out saying to themselves 'I did great' ?

Bolton Wanderers pledge unlimited support to Fabrice Muamba's recovery.

They've offered him an unlimited period to allow him to make the best possible recovery.

I didn't know it but they extended Joey O'Brien's contract when he was there despite the fact that he was sidelined and wasn't able to play for them. They did it to give him every opportunity to regain fitness.

It's great to see that some clubs out there aren't completely heartless.

I seriously can't see him playing professional football again with what appears a dodgy ticker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I seriously can't see him playing professional football again with what appears a dodgy ticker.

Plenty of players have dodgy tickers. Anthony Van Loo springs to mind. He had a heart attack on the pitch but his life was saved by a defibrillator he had implanted some time before.

Personally I can't see Muamba returning to the game, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if he did one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Plenty of players have dodgy tickers. Anthony Van Loo springs to mind. He had a heart attack on the pitch but his life was saved by a defibrillator he had implanted some time before.

Personally I can't see Muamba returning to the game, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if he did one day.

I think he will be able to return, but if he's afraid to do it in case it happens again I would totally understand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

he asked.

I think most people realised it was one of them jokey thingys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Someone on boards using a joke from another site - the scandal! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Kanu has had a dodgy heart for years. He's won nearly everything in spite of it. While it's not the same as Muamba, it shows he doesnt have to call it a day if he gets the all clear to continue.

At the end of the day, it'll be down to the doctors opinions. I hope Muamba takes their advice even if it is to retire. No point in risking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

548919_139905649469521_101985973261489_150557_1488771028_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Red Issue showing their class for their latest issue -

ri260.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Xavi6 wrote: »

ri260.jpg

Bunch of idiots . Embarrassment for United fans everyone should boycott it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Xavi6 wrote: »

Red Issue had some awful tweets about Muamba in the immediate aftermath of his collapse too (which they say stem from the Bolton chairmans comments in '58 - you'd think they'd have let it go in the intervening 50+ years ).

Anyways, they are completely classless and an embarassment to United fans. Wouldn't pick one up if it was free.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Kanu has had a dodgy heart for years. He's won nearly everything in spite of it. While it's not the same as Muamba, it shows he doesnt have to call it a day if he gets the all clear to continue.

At the end of the day, it'll be down to the doctors opinions. I hope Muamba takes their advice even if it is to retire. No point in risking it.

He probably wouldn't be insured for a start, Bolton probably wouldn't play him for fear of happening it again.

The heart is the most vital organ in the body, and if it's causing you problems when playing then you need to give up football.

Anyways, a number of former pros were interviewed in the aftermath who were advised to quit after screening showed they had a heart defect. The same will happen with Muamba.

They will buy him out of his contract or give him a pay off and that will be that.

I don't think Kanu's was as serious an issue as Muamba. My instinct is he's done in the game and wisely so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Liam Stacey jailed for 56 days for comments made on Twitter about Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17515992

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

amiable wrote: »
    Liam Stacey jailed for 56 days for comments made on Twitter about Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba

Delighted this happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement