Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muamba Injury Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I'm listening tonight to parents of SADS victims in Britain, who say that Italy's cardiac screening system has saved about 90% of lives.

A lot of catching up to do in this part of Europe, by the sound of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

:( thats sad to hear
    If he lives, will he be brain damaged?
    If not, could there be other problems do you think?

In terms of brain damage, impossible to say at present I'd say. CPR is all about getting oxygen to the lungs and pumped around the body through the blood, quickly and effectivly, espically to the brain and the cardiac muscle (the heart). If this was done, hopefully none will occur.

In terms of other problems, who knows. Just surviving is the important thing at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I'm listening tonight to parents of SADS victims in Britain, who say that Italy's cardiac screening system has saved about 90% of lives.

Assume all clubs screen players, i know St Pats do funded by the fans at Mahons request.

Every club from under 7s onwards should do it, it doesnt cost that much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I thought defibrillators were about €3000?

they used to be quite expensive, but you can get ones for about €600 nowadays. I changed my post on it there - had a wrong cost. Most ones I've seen are about the €1000 mark.
    :( thats sad to hear
    If he lives, will he be brain damaged?
    If not, could there be other problems do you think?

No real answer either way until he wakes up - but the fact that CPR was started so fast is a real plus in him not having brain damage. I think there was a case of a footballer who collapsed in similar circumstances and ended up having a pacemaker fitted. Its really only speculation tbh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Screening does help - but it still won't pick up everything.

Western Europe has a reactive way of dealing with things rather than being proactive about something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

role in changing the level of medical attention available for players in this situation. Since Jose demanded a dedicated ambulance present at all matches for players, it is now possible that a game be suspended if one has taken a player to hospital and not be resumed until a replacement is found. Joses comments after the Cech/Hunt incident were of course mis-represented and to this day Dion Fanning and John Giles still present as critiscism of the NHS service. But then there's an anti-Chelsesa agenda there. So Credit where credit is due. Also credit to Spurs season tckt holder - a cardiologist who was present and forced his way past stewards to help. All these things come into play and might - just might safe this guys life. Fingers crossed. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/oct/17/newsstory.sport4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Rocky = Muamba

But hopefully,,,,,,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

role in changing the level of medical attention available for players in this situation. Since Jose demanded a dedicated ambulance present at all matches for players, it is now possible that a game be suspended if one has taken a player to hospital and not be resumed until a replacement is found. Joses comments after the Cech/Hunt incident were of course mis-represented and to this day Dion Fanning and John Giles still present as critiscism of the NHS service. But then there's an anti-Chelsesa agenda there. So Credit where credit is due. Also credit to Spurs season tckt holder - a cardiologist who was present and forced his way past stewards to help. All these things come into play and might - just might safe this guys life. Fingers crossed. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2006/oct/17/newsstory.sport4

He was actually a cardiac physiologist (not sure of the difference, but I assume there is a difference) but he wasn't able to get there. The stewards must have stopped him.

Fair play to him for his reactions though. It's good to hear of someone who is able to help actually trying to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Don't often post in soccer forum and mostly cos of the pointless pride crap that goes on, some of which is embarressingly on display in this thread. Seriously I'm sure everyone posting means well, no need to be watching out for someone who is not being sincere enough.

Anyway back on topic, really hope he survives and makes a full recovery. I'll be thinking about him tonight and hoping for good news in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Five Live have done a great job this evening with their coverage. Credit to them, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Johan Djourou ‏ @JohanDjourou

Just left the hospital to see my BRO faba love you so much man!keep fighting. everybody please pray for him he s an amazing man and friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Just awful....some of the faces in the crowd at WHL say it all, and then you see Van De Vaart and Tuncay praying...you don't ever expect to see this at a football match.

Praying for the guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Fingers crossed that Muamba will recover and pull through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I was shocked this evening when I heard the news. My thoughts are with Fabrice Muamba and his family now. Hopefully we hear better news soon.

Only came across this story now.

The state of some of the posts on page 1.

Hope he's ok :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Hope he pulls through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Don't know what to say too be honest,shocked,my thoughts are with Muamba & his family/club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

please god he'll be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Had a great night out tonight but I've come home to read this. Absolutely gutted, really, really hope he pulls through. This sort of thing puts the ''problems'' I have into significance.

Please God he'll pull through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Paully D wrote: »
    Had a great night out tonight but I've come home to read this. Absolutely gutted, really, really hope he pulls through. This sort of thing puts the ''problems'' I have into significance.

I came home and wanted to post exactly this

Hope he pulls through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Aquila wrote: »
    irish

:confused:

My thoughts are with Muamba and his family. Really hoping he can make a recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Saddened by this, awful thing to happen to anybody, let alone a young man like himself. Can only hope Fabrice pulls through.

Best wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Fabrice, we're all routing for you. Hope you pull through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Never been so glad to have not been watching a match live.

Get up and get back to training soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Wishing him all the best in he's recovery. Terrible thing to happen and so young!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You get used to staying up waiting for some news for insignificant things, but tonight you just want so much to see something positive on bbc or bwfc.co.uk, it's not possible for me to even comprehend what his family and friends are going through, can only hope and hope that tomorrow or the day after that Fabrice wakes up ok.

mayordenis wrote: »
    You get used to staying up waiting for some news for insignificant things, but tonight you just want so much to see something positive on bbc or bwfc.co.uk, it's not possible for me to even comprehend what his family and friends are going through, can only hope and hope that tomorrow or the day after that Fabrice wakes up ok.

I wasn't watching the match but this reminds me of watching the last IndyCar race last year when Dan Wheldon died. I'd seen "worse" crashes by just about any metric but it was one of those when ya knew something had gone horribly wrong and waited a coupla hours for the news and saw a mate of his who was a pundit on Sky breaking down when it came through. These situations in football generally go to one of two scripts with a short time limit on one of them.

Get up ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Just in and saw some comments of bad news. I well and truly hope these are not true.

God bless muamba and please let the man be ok. There are no shirt colours involved here. The football community as a whole wishes and hopes he pulls through.
    Again

God bless

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Absolutely awful. I hope the guy pulls through. Things like this shouldn't happen to young and fit people, I hope he's fighting it with everything he has.

Fair play to everyone at the game, everyone handled situation impeccably from the paramedics to the fans. Very sad situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Paully D wrote: »

I presume you mean insignificance?

Sky were reporting earlier that he was in a "stable condition" but now he still seems to be "fighting for his life" on some websites etc.

Man I really hope he can pull through. If he's as tough in hospital as he is on the pitch, he'll fight a great battle and all the way. Fingers crossed*

BOHtox wrote: »
    Sky were reporting earlier that he was in a "stable condition" but now he still seems to be "fighting for his life" on some websites etc.

Hopefully this isn't seen as inappropriate but with what seems to have happened both of those things tend to be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

amacachi wrote: »
    Hopefully this isn't seen as inappropriate but with what seems to have happened both of those things tend to be true.

Well, stable just means not deteriorating. He's in a bad, life-threatening condition, but hasn't deteriorated is how I'd interpret those reports.

Not a doctor, so I could be completely wrong.

Get well soon Fabrice.

How is it that in the year 2012, 9 years after Marc Vivien Foe died on the field, that there has been no discovery whatsoever as to why this is happening to sportsmen? In over 120 or so years of the game beforehand, there was no such occurences (or at least to the best of my knowledge) of players collapsing on the field.

tolosenc wrote: »
    Well, stable just means not deteriorating. He's in a bad, life-threatening condition, but hasn't deteriorated is how I'd interpret those reports.

Not a doctor, so I could be completely wrong.

Kinda(ish) what I was getting at but this isn't the time or place for it tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Get well soon Fabrice.

How is it that in the year 2012, 9 years after Marc Vivien Foe died on the field, that there has been no discovery whatsoever as to why this is happening to sportsmen? In over 120 or so years of the game beforehand, there was no such occurences (or at least to the best of my knowledge) of players collapsing on the field.

And is it happening in football moreso than anywhere else? I know football is more widespread, is it something specific to the training...

dfx- wrote: »
    And is it happening in football moreso than anywhere else? I know football is more widespread, is it something specific to the training...

The heart is a funny thing. If one's family has a history of heart disease then a unit of alcohol 5 days a week reduces one's chance of heart disease, heavy drinking massively increases it. If there's no history then any alcohol increases the risk.

Plenty of us reading this thread have something wrong with our heart that we'll never find out about until we're already dying of something else.
    It's not a soccer-specific thing, it happens in all sports where people who if they'd stayed on the sofa they'd be fine but they're pushing themselves to the absolute limit and that little thing shows itself in front of everyone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I appreciate that and there is plenty of sports and training where the effort is strenuous...

...but you don't see them collapse mid-competition as frequently as it appears to footballers in the recent past. Mid-marathon, mid-athletic event, mid-rugby, mid-Cricket pitch, mid-winter sport, mid-motor race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

we dont know the full details of what happened, could have had a heart condition that went unnoticed until today.

save to say that the defibrillator saved his life.

I did an occupational first aid course in work before, great course, teach cpr and how to use a defibrillator. If anyone here gets the chance you should do a first aid course.

If you can use one within 10 minutes of someone having a heart attack they have a 70% chance of surviving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

There was a documentary about collapses on the pitch in football a few years ago. It was on tv3 or tg4 i'm not too sure! Very interesting if anyone can find it?

#PrayForMuamba

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

dfx- wrote: »
    I appreciate that and there is plenty of sports and training where the effort is strenuous...

...but you don't see them collapse mid-competition as frequently as it appears to footballers in the recent past. Mid-marathon, mid-athletic event, mid-rugby, mid-Cricket pitch, mid-winter sport, mid-motor race.
    When you look at the numbers of participants in each of those sports, then statistically we should expect more soccer players to die.

Sadly it does happen in other sports, although more often in training than actual competition (again hardly surprising when you think of the respective time per week spend in training as opposed to actual competition). http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tributes-paid-as-rising-gaa-star-20-collapses-and-dies-during-training-2996533.html

A study of triathalon racers in the US revealed that 14 died during actual events of heart failure during a 3 year period. Two died in one single event (the New York Triathalon of 2011).

It is certainly an issue in American football, again probably because of the higher number of participants. Between 1960 and 2003, 101 players at all levels (including schoolboys) died of heatstroke. Only one NFL player has died on the field of play of a heart attack (Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions in 1972). In 2005 Thomas Herrion of the SF 49ers collapsed and died in the locker room just minutes after the end of a match.

The sad fact is that competitive sport is won, not only by pushing your body to its limits, but sometimes beyond its limits - something that is commemorated in the very name of the marathon race. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheidippides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

PDN wrote: »
    When you look at the numbers of participants in each of those sports, then statistically we should expect more soccer players to die.

Sadly it does happen in other sports, although more often in training than actual competition (again hardly surprising when you think of the respective time per week spend in training as opposed to actual competition). http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tributes-paid-as-rising-gaa-star-20-collapses-and-dies-during-training-2996533.html

A study of triathalon racers in the US revealed that 14 died during actual events of heart failure during a 3 year period. Two died in one single event (the New York Triathalon of 2011).

It is certainly an issue in American football, again probably because of the higher number of participants. Between 1960 and 2003, 101 players at all levels (including schoolboys) died of heatstroke. Only one NFL player has died on the field of play of a heart attack (Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions in 1972). In 2005 Thomas Herrion of the SF 49ers collapsed and died in the locker room just minutes after the end of a match.

The sad fact is that competitive sport is won, not only by pushing your body to its limits, but sometimes beyond its limits - something that is commemorated in the very name of the marathon race. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheidippides

Really well written and informative post. - cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Exactly what i was saying about people being allowed give an opinion.
    Brilliant educational stuff and links.

This week, im signing up for a first aid course, and im seriously considering maybe trying to do something to raise funds for a defibrillator here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

KKKitty wants to say
    I sincerely hope there is a happy outcome in all this and as a previous poster in said thread posted about the wages that footballers receive I wish to say that no matter what they get paid it's little compensation for them or their families if things go horribly wrong. If he has to quit football at his age due to this how will he take it. Please god he makes a full recovery. Another thing well done on getting that cert and just remember you could save a life due to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hospital statement confirms cardiac arrest, remains in critical condition.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Hospital statement confirms cardiac arrest, remains in critical condition.

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

antodeco wrote: »
    Source?

Was a joint statment on behalf of the club and the hospital.
    Fabrice Muamba remains in a critical condition in intensive care in the Heart Attack Centre at The London Chest Hospital.

Fabrice was admitted to the hospital yesterday evening after collapsing at White Hart Lane, where he sustained a cardiac arrest during the FA Cup quarter-final against Tottenham Hotspur.

Fabrice received prolonged resuscitation at the ground and on route to The London Chest Hospital, where his heart eventually started working.

As is normal medical practice, Fabrice remains anaesthetised in intensive care and will be for at least 24 hours.

His condition continues to be closely monitored by the cardiac specialists at the hospital.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

For those on mobiles:
    Fabrice Muamba UpdateSunday 18 March, 2012
    Fabrice Muamba remains in a critical condition in intensive care in the Heart Attack Centre at The London Chest Hospital.
    Fabrice was admitted to the hospital yesterday evening after collapsing at White Hart Lane, where he sustained a cardiac arrest during the FA Cup quarter-final against Tottenham Hotspur.
    Fabrice received prolonged resuscitation at the ground and on route to The London Chest Hospital, where his heart eventually started working.
    As is normal medical practice, Fabrice remains anaesthetised in intensive care and will be for at least 24 hours.
    His condition continues to be closely monitored by the cardiac specialists at the hospital.
    Bolton Wanderers Manager Owen Coyle said: "Fabrice's family have asked me to pass on their thanks for the many, many kind messages of support from not only Bolton fans but also fans from clubs across the country and abroad.
    "All our thoughts and prayers are for Fabrice and his family. The family would also like to thank the media for respecting their privacy at this time."
    No further updates are planned at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Lads I dont know if its been said already but I will never ever buy a newspaper again after them showing pics of Muamba on the ground, the print media are absolute scum of the earth makes me so so angry :mad:

Advertisement