Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muamba Injury Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great news and much relief.

Hopefully things will get better from here now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ok maybe i should have phrased it another way but i think there is alot better chance of Muamba making a recovery if people remain in a positive frame of mind as opposed to sounding the death knell for him. Some people practically giving the guy no chance. Look it is serious im under no illusion but where there is life there is hope and the guy is fighting for his life.

People make miraculous recoveries every day of the week. John Hartson for example beat cancer when no one gave him a chance. People who were told they would never walk again defy all the odds. Muamba is a super fit young man and has alot of positive odds in his favour

Please stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Bullsh*t. What is it with peoples allergy to thinking positive? We would all rather be miserable and negative? :confused: Really cant get peoples mindset.

I think you're missing his point. No harm with positive thinking, but it is incorrect to state that it will make any material difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Great news!

Again, I'm no doctor but movement in the legs seems like a very positive sign

Hopefully he goes on to make a full recovery.

THFC wrote: »
    That is brilliant! Not much of a doctor but I'm presuming his chances of survival have dramatically increased?

It's good news, and progress, but his long term prognosis is still unknown according to his doctors. Also, the way I wrote the update, it looks as if I was saying Muamba himself announced that his heart is now beating by itself, this is incorrect of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Ok maybe i should have phrased it another way but i think there is alot better chance of Muamba making a recovery if people remain in a positive frame of mind as opposed to sounding the death knell for him. Some people practically giving the guy no chance. Look it is serious im under no illusion but where there is life there is hope and the guy is fighting for his life.

People make miraculous recoveries every day of the week. John Hartson for example beat cancer when no one gave him a chance. People who were told they would never walk again defy all the odds. Muamba is a super fit young man and has alot of positive odds in his favour

I'm sorry to inform you, what we do here makes no difference to what happens to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Thank fcuk for that. Obviously not out of the woods yet, but much better than this time yesterday I'd imagine.

He's unlikely to play again this season, if ever. It won't change anything but I'd like too see Bolton go on and win the Cup for him. Small, but nice.

Also, on the positive thinking part. I don't believe it makes any difference, but everyone has their own beliefs. I also don't believe praying has any difference but you don't see anyone ripping that idea apart. Show some respect to other peoples beliefs.

Delighted with the news.

Look we'll have to agree to disagree regarding my views. my choice is to focus for a positive outcome in this case and while people believe it wont help one bit given the geography, etc, it believe it certainly wont hinder. I stand by my views and i respect your right to stand by your own.

anyhow great to see the boy has made progress. keep up the good fight muamba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Pleads guilty to racially aggravated public order offence.

Source

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17434587

_59170481_liam_304_other.jpg

Liam Stacey admitted a racially-aggravated public order offence

A student has admitted posting racially offensive comments on Twitter about footballer Fabrice Muamba.

Liam Stacey, 21, appeared at Swansea magistrates' court after tweeting about the Bolton Wanderers player who collapsed during a FA Cup tie against Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

The 23-year-old, who suffered a cardiac arrest, remains critically ill.
    Stacey, a Swansea University student from Pontypridd, admitted a racially-aggravated public order offence. He was arrested after his comments on the social networking site were reported by other users. He has been released on bail and is due to be sentenced on 27 March, Prosecutor Lisa Jones told the court: "Fabrice Muamba collapsed on the pitch and was believed to have died." The court heard shortly afterwards Stacey posted the offensive comments.

Complaints
    Magistrates were told police forces across Britain received complaints following the comments. Stacey tried to "distance himself" from the tweets by claiming his account had been hacked, the court was told. Magistrates heard he later tried to delete his page but he was arrested on Sunday at his student house in Swansea.

When interviewed by police, Stacey said he had been drinking since lunchtime on Saturday and was drunk when he made the comments. He told police: "I was at the bar when I heard what had happened to Muamba. I don't know why I posted it. "I'm not racist and some of my friends are from different cultural backgrounds."

Bailed

Stacey was close to tears as the evidence was given about his tweets. The court heard he later texted a friend and said: "I said something about Muamba that I shouldn't have and tweeted back to some people who abused me. Getting police on me now which isn't good at all." Stacey was told in court that he could be jailed over the comments. He has been bailed until he is sentenced and has been ordered not to use Twitter and other social networking sites.
    Personally speaking I'm delighted he was arrested and if he gets a little bit of jail time on top of it hopefully it will send a message that this kind of scumbag behaviour is unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

He's speaking!

BBC R5Live just said a friend of his has said he's talking. Brilliant news. I'm sure it'll be a matter of hours before they can assess any kind of brain damage. Fingers crossed there's none.

It's coming from the Associated Press. I'll try find a proper source.

BBC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

In fairness with something like this happens,it puts sport into perspective.

Who gives a fuck who wins what this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Meglamonia wrote: »

Have to admit if Arsenal were in contention I'd still give a ****.

Hopefully he'll be back in training in the next coupla weeks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

carlcon wrote: »
    He's speaking!

BBC R5Live just said a friend of his has said he's talking. Brilliant news. I'm sure it'll be a matter of hours before they can assess any kind of brain damage. Fingers crossed there's none.

BBC

It may take up to six months before his post acute condition can be fully assessed. That he's speaking after only 2 days is a very positive sign though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

amacachi wrote: »
    Meglamonia wrote: »

Have to admit if Arsenal were in contention I'd still give a ****.

Hopefully he'll be back in training in the next coupla weeks. :)

Back in training? Give the guy a chance!
    It'll be incredible if he ever plays football again.

Brilliant news indeed. Look regardless of our differences earlier i think its definataly fair to say we all want the same thing and the current news is fantastic. Please god in the future the experts can find out more of why so many professional athletes in this age inflicted by this.

WBA had their own concerns over Shane Long's heart condtion for a while and thankfully Shane can now continue his career having not suffered anything similar.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

pretty much, brain cells start dying after 4 minutes without oxygen. it's very sad but it will be an absolute miracle if he regains consciousness.

Its roughly around six minutes before brain damage starts to occur without oxygen, but you are forgetting that he had CPR within minutes, which without doubt saved his life and preserved brain function. Some posters made that mistake as well yesterday - purpose of CPR is to get oxygen around the body to preserve brain function. It would not be a surprise if he recovered very well following this given the speed at which he was treated.

Its great news to hear that his heart is beating without medication and the fact that he moved his legs and arms is a good sign.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

carlcon wrote: »
    He's speaking!

BBC

Proper source??? AP is a proper source!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Proper source??? AP is a proper source!

If you think me saying it came from AP and I heard it on the radio is a proper source, then fair enough, I thank you for your trust.

Also, AP just announced you owe me €100, according to R5Live...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My partners brother was declared dead after 9 minutes of CPR and nothing. About 2 minutes later he started responding and was brought to hospital. He made a full recovery and had no affects whatsoever. Things like this can happen, so let's hope Muamba at least won't be too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

antodeco wrote: »
    My partners brother was declared dead after 9 minutes of CPR and nothing. About 2 minutes later he started responding and was brought to hospital. He made a full recovery and had no affects whatsoever. Things like this can happen, so let's hope Muamba at least won't be too bad.

Aye, the "4 minutes before brain damage" thing can be really misleading. It may be a mean or median but people have gone an awful lot longer and been completely fine afterwards.

SSN have reports he recognises family members and is able to respond to questions. Good signs so far.

Official update from BWFC:
    Fabrice Muamba Update - Monday 19 March, 19.30

Fabrice Muamba remains in intensive care at The London Chest Hospital. He is continuing to show signs of improvement this evening.

He is currently able to breathe independently without the aid of a ventilator. He has also been able to recognise family members and respond to questions appropriately.

These are all positive signs of progress. However, his condition remains serious and the medical staff in intensive care will continue to monitor and treat him.

His family and club would like to thank the media for continuing to respect their privacy at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

From twitter from James Pearce ‏ @Pearcesport
    More great news on Muamba. Michael Essien has just left the hospital and says Muamba was speaking English and French to him #PrayForMuamba

Great to hear. Hopefully he continues to recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Awesome! At half 5 on Saturday there is no way I expected that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Great news. The fact that he can comprehend 2 different languages gives an indication that his brain is working, hopefully to its fullest. Hopefully the same goes for his other vital organs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

The fact that he can comprehend 2 different languages gives an indication that his brain is working, hopefully to its fullest.

Definitely, especially considering he only knew one language before the accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Sunderland team stopped off at the Reebok Stadium on the way to Blackburn to drop off a jersey signed by the whole team wishing Muamba well:

0,,10281~10623872,00.jpg

292197_10150744556366427_155734271426_11786117_616757680_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Paully D wrote: »
    The Sunderland team stopped off at the Reebok Stadium on the way to Blackburn to drop off a jersey signed by the whole team wishing Muamba well:

Nice touch by them, fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Happened to be staying at the Premier Inn at the Reebok over the weekend, took a wander over last night. There was film crews there the whole time from about an hour after the match was called off.

boltonr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Definitely, especially considering he only knew one language before the accident.
    He's from the Congo originally, they speak French there. He didn't speak a word of english when he went to Britain first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

THFC wrote: »
    He's from the Congo originally, they speak French there. He didn't speak a word of english when he went to Britain first.

That was one of them jokes you read about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Ah..! Whoops..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just checked the news websites after being out all day.

Fantasic news so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Jesus, such a recovery so far.
    If he keeps this up, he'll be fit for the weekend...!!!

Seriously though, great news.
    Delighted for him. Hope he makes a full recovery now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Paully D wrote: »

Pure class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Woke up this morning to hear / read the news about Muamba's current condition.

Abosolutely fabulous news that not only is he conscious, but off the ventilator, and no drugs required to keep his heart going.

Conversing with friends & family in French and English too.

All amazing signs that his recovery is starting out certainly a millions times better than I, or probably most people could have ever thought possible.

Fantastic news.

You're a fighter Fabrice, I'll give you that. Keep it up at this rate you'll be back playing footy before too long :)

Delighted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Woke up this morning to hear / read the news about Muamba's current condition.

Abosolutely fabulous news that not only is he conscious, but off the ventilator, and no drugs required to keep his heart going.

Conversing with friends & family in French and English too.

All amazing signs that his recovery is starting out certainly a millions times better than I, or probably most people could have ever thought possible.

Fantastic news.

You're a fighter Fabrice, I'll give you that. Keep it up at this rate you'll be back playing footy before too long :)

Delighted :D

Delighted with the news too but surely he can never play football at the highest level again, even if doctor's gave him the all clear I can't see insurance allowing it.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Delighted with the news too but surely he can never play football at the highest level again, even if doctor's gave him the all clear I can't see insurance allowing it.

Of course it's most likely of of the realms of all possibility to play again at that level. However, any similar cases like this I've ever seen all resulted in fatality's. Muama is recovering (and showing excellent signs by all accounts), which in itself is amazing. I personally can hope for this miraculous recovery to continue to a point where he is at the very least able to contribute to the sport at a high level, whether it be on the pitch, or in the back room.

**edit
    Fabrice Muamba was not the first Bolton player to collapse on the pitch. Khalilou Fadiga was struck down before Bolton's Carling Cup tie against Tottenham at the Reebok Stadium in 2004.

The Sengalese player had to be fitted with a pacemaker following his ordeal but managed to make a return to the game in 2005, playing five more games for the club before joining Coventry.

It was already known by Bolton that Fadiga had a heart defect when they signed him from Inter Milan in 2004 after the condition restricted him from playing for the Italian giants.

But the 37-year-old managed to keep on playing until last year when in retired at Belgium third division outfit KSV Temse.

Source

So all hope is not lost just yet on him returning to professional sport.

Must be the drinking water in Spurs :)

antodeco wrote: »
    Must be the drinking water in Spurs :)

Was that really necessary?

(completely ignoring the fact that while the same teams played both games, the took place at different grounds)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Can a mod rename this the Muamba thread and maybe sticky it for a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Can they also get rid of all the high horses... lots of them galloping through this thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

murpho999 wrote: »

Doesn't Gael Givet play with a heart defect? They monitor his heart rate and has to be immediately substituted if it goes higher than 'safe'. He had to come off at half time recently and was out for several games..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Indeed, but there's a right and a wrong way to do things and this open letter to The Sun sums it up well. Worth a read -

Sorry only getting to check back in here now - Couldn't agree more after reading this.... Someone said "Good find" - Absolutely spot on!

Update from BWFC
    Owen Coyle has today (Tuesday) given an update on the condition of Fabrice Muamba.
    Fabrice is in intensive care at the Heart Attack Centre in the London Chest Hospital, where he remains in a critical condition.
    Coyle said: "The consultants have stressed to us that it is still incredibly early in the process. They continue to monitor Fabrice's condition.
    "His heart is beating without the help of medication but we remain very much at the beginning of a long-term journey for Fabrice and his family.
    "He has been visited today by a number of our players. The skipper came down, along with Nigel, Mark and Darren, and we are expecting more of the lads throughout the day.
    "I have been in to see Fabrice and we had a brief exchange of words. That will remain private.
    "Fabrice is a fighter and his family have shown great strength in this testing time. They have been greatly comforted by the huge amount of support they have received from around the world.
    "I'd like to thank all our Wanderers fans who have been in touch, and a special mention must go to our supporters on Saturday who were outstanding, as indeed were Tottenham's."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Doesn't Cristiano Ronaldo supposed to have a heart defect too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Doesn't Cristiano Ronaldo supposed to have a heart defect too?

I know he had surgery as a kid. Think it was called racing heart and the surgery sorted it. So probably not an issue for him now.

I know he had surgery as a kid. Think it was called racing heart and the surgery sorted it. So probably not an issue for him now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/cristiano-ronaldo/4382937/Manchester-United-winger-Cristiano-Ronaldo-needed-heart-operation-to-save-career.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Probably a Bionic Heart the way hes going

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Is it just me or does 'injury' not sound right?

Advertisement