Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef stroganoff

Options
  • 17-03-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys

I currently have a beef stroganoff cooking and the recipe asked for rump steak - please tell me that this is the same as round steak?

It just seems like its taking ages to cook (kind of tough?)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

No, no, no it is not the same as round steak.
    I'm afraid your stroganoff is going to be dry and chewy - won't poison you, though. My advise is to never buy round steak for anything - I don't even like it minced.

Rump steak is sirloin or sometimes known as chump steak.
    You need a tender, quick cooking meat for strogonoff - something like sirloin, striploin, rib eye or fillet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

No, no, no it is not the same as round steak.
    I'm afraid your stroganoff is going to be dry and chewy - won't poison you, though. My advise is to never buy round steak for anything - I don't even like it minced.

You need a tender, quick cooking meat for strogonoff - something like sirloin, striploin, rib eye or fillet.

Oh S**T!!:( damn. Just tasted a bit there and its not too bad though....ah well I've learned my lesson! Thanks beer rev

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

To me, round steak and rump are the same cut - different to sirloin, fillet and ribeye. Not good for stroganoff - use fillet for that.

511px-British_Beef_Cuts.svg.png

beefcuts.png

Minder wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

To me, round steak and rump are the same cut - different to sirloin, fillet and ribeye. Not good for stroganoff - use fillet for that.

511px-British_Beef_Cuts.svg.png

beefcuts.png

Looking at your two diagrams, rump is part of the sirloin. As in what is marked as sirloin in the second diagram is in the same place as rump in the first diagram which is forward of the round.
    It gets confusing with different countries dividing the beast differently and having different names for similar cuts.

My butcher recently told me that rump is the same a chump and is part of the sirloin. Your diagrams bear that out.

As for what's best for stroganoff?, I wouldn't really know - don't think I've ever made it - I was just going by the op's recipe looking for rump steak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Defo fillet for stroganoff. Best idea by far. AKA tenderloin.

I always thought round and rump were the same thing too. These days the best thing to do appears to be to befriend a local butcher and go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Looking at your two diagrams, rump is part of the sirloin. As in what is marked as sirloin in the second diagram is in the same place as rump in the first diagram which is forward of the round.
    It gets confusing with different countries dividing the beast differently and having different names for similar cuts.
    For referance, Round steak is labeled rump here in Oz.
    Those picture are also just diagramatic and not necessarily in exact proportion to the cuts. Plus, cuts are not the same size in each country.
    However, Sirloin is clearly labeled as a separate section to the rump on the british cuts. Plus the american round is different as it includes top/silverside.
    Rump is top part of the leg bone. Sirloin is from the back.

I imagine that round in the shops is the same as rump, but not the round pictured on the US cuts.

694640_f520.jpg
    Or a more realistic picture (6 = Rump, 5 = Sirloin)
    694242_f520.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i always use fillet ends (sometimes referred to as fillet tails) which are the bit off the end of the fillet that are too small to be cut into steaks.

i get big bags of them very cheaply from my local meat wholesaler, or you can usually get them cheap (much cheaper than regular fillet) from your local butcher as it will usually just end up as stir fry or go into the mincer.

i also make sure i put it in last so itis just barely cooked and it comes out so tender that your granny could happily chomp through it even without her teeth in! :D

However, Sirloin is clearly labeled as a separate section to the rump on the british cuts.

I think what the British call sirloin, we call striploin - a relatively modern term here.
    I imagine that round in the shops is the same as rump, but not the round pictured on the US cuts.

British rump steak is not Irish round steak.
    I'm pretty sure it refers to a part of what we now call sirloin in Ireland.

It is so ridiculously confusing because of not only the different terms and methods in various countries but also because of, in the case of Ireland, changing terminology.
    What we now call striploin used to be called sirloin, for example and what we now call sirloin used to be called chump. (as far as I can work out).

I still contend that a British recipe calling for rump steak is looking for what we now call sirloin in Ireland.

My butcher separates the sirloin into several different cuts - Pichanna being one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

@vibe666 the small end is the fillet mignon or the lady's fillet. A great deal if you are picking these up cheap. One of the more expensive in a restaurant. I imagine local butchers aren't asked for those specifically enough to charge a premium.
    I think what the British call sirloin, we call striploin - a relatively modern term here.
    Not quite, striplion is the front half of the British primal sirloin in the diagram. The back end is top sirloin, the Pichanna etc. there's loads and loads of sub cuts like that.

The reason it is used more recently is it was normally sold as t-bone. When they stopped beef on the bone for a while the t-bone became a strip.
    What we now call striploin used to be called sirloin, for example and what we now call sirloin used to be called chump. (as far as I can work out).
    I seen one list of cuts that mentioned chump. It referred to it a large cut of both the end of sirloin and the rump.
    Im not sure if I was clear in my point earlier. I wasn't saying that rump and round are the same. Just that rump is the one of the cuts that makes up the whole round (leg). If the butcher cuts further back, the rump stays attached to the sirloin (chump?) and the round is what's left, prob ends up as mince.

Mellor wrote: »

Not quite, striplion is the front half of the British primal sirloin in the diagram. The back end is top sirloin, the Pichanna etc. there's loads and loads of sub cuts like that.

The reason it is used more recently is it was normally sold as t-bone. When they stopped beef on the bone for a while the t-bone became a strip.

According to my butcher, the change came when Dunne's Stores started selling meat and they 'upgraded' sirloin to striploin and chump then became sirloin.

It's one of these things that the more you learn, the more you know you don't know and the more confusing it gets!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

What I associate as sirloin is a cut of meat with a thick piece of fat on one side and no partitioning of the muscles. For round and rump I expect three or more muscles separated by the silver fascia that makes it easy to separate these pieces of meat.

But as the point is well made on many posts - the differences from one country to another make it very difficult to follow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Rump and Round are similar, but different, they some from the same primal but have very different structures.

Round steak has almost zero marbeling, rump has quite a bit.

Round is almost inedible when fried or grilles, rump can be eaten, comfortably, as a steak.

http://www.ehow.com/info_7945374_difference-round-roast-rump-roast.html

i still like my idea the best. :)

here's my original post about it, including pictures. it was in relation to beef for stir fries, but it goes just as well in stroganoff.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74991262&postcount=24

and at €2.50 per 600g (21oz) portion of beef fillet for 2 people, it's hard to find a reason not to. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

i actually got it at the keepak factory in clonee. there's some great value meat to be had, assuming you don't mind seeing the occasional de-meated cow carcass flying off a conveyor belt into a giant container! :D

Advertisement