Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannot restore iPhone

• 17-03-2012 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I'm a newbie here, (to iPhone as well!), and I have a problem I hope someone can help me with.

When trying to restore in iTunes en "unknown error" message comes up half-way through "restore firmwares". I have checked iTunes and Windows versions are up-to-date, and I have restarted the laptop numerous times. Nothing changes, and meanwhile of course the iPhone is out of action.

Any suggestions are most welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Uninstall iTunes and then install it again and try restore again

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Idun

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately it didn't work. The unknown error message appeared at the same place; restoring firmware.

I've also removed and put back in the SIM card and made sure the iPhone is charged. And shut down and restarted the laptop a few extra times to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Idun wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately it didn't work. The unknown error message appeared at the same place; restoring firmware.

I've also removed and put back in the SIM card and made sure the iPhone is charged. And shut down and restarted the laptop a few extra times to be on the safe side.

Is the iPhone jailbroken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Was your iPhone cracked or jailborken?

No matter an Apple restore should fix it back again. If Apple is failing maybe you should recrack it and then do a restore by Apple.

How often have you updated the iPhone ~ Apple firmware has quirks, before you reset your iPhone you should have been at the latest firmware on the iPhone ~ you can't check that now, if it's booting at all it's recoverable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

This happened to me too on my own windows7 laptop. I uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes but had no luck despite several attempts.Happened with an ipad and ipod.Then I tried doing it on another xp PC and it restored fine with both iPad and iPod. I'd try another PC before you give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

More info, what model iPhone was it? Is it running the iPad baseband?

Hi and thanks for all your suggestions, which I have done my best to follow. Unfortunately nothing has worked and I'm dropping it off to be sorted later on today. It's been an interesting - and quiet! - long weekend without it!

Me again, feeling slightly stupid to ask but I'll ask anyway; the Three shop I got the iPhone from advised me to take it to Fonemenders in Station Road Business Park, Clondalkin. This would be quicker than them sending it off. I've now been told this could invalidate my warranty; does anyone know if this is the case? (I tried phoning Fonemenders but after ten minutes in the phone queue I had to give up.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Fonemenders aren't an authorised Apple service provider, so yes, if they open the phone up that may invalidate the warranty. Three probably figure this is a software problem though which is why they sent you to them.

If you give more info here we might be able to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Have you tried putting the phone into restore mode or DFU mode before the restore?

Restore mode is simple, turn iphone off and then switch back on holding 'home' until you see a screen with a cable and itunes logo (i think).

When you plug in iTunes should detect it as a phone for restore.

DFU mode is harder, google it if the above doesn't work.

• Advertisement

Thanks again for all the info! I haven't handed in the iPhone yet as I don't want to risk the warranty. I'll make sure tomorrow it goes to a place where this will be OK. My number has been transferred to a new SIM card for my old mobile so I'm guessing my iPhone wouldn't work properly anyway right now. But at least I've learnt my iPhone is neither cracked nor jailbroken and that the picture it was showing indicates restore mode. And I'll google DFU mode for future reference.

Advertisement