Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The Largest Attended Concert ?

Options
  • 17-03-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

What's The Largest Attended Concert ?
    Top-10 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Two to come mind are

Genesis in Rome 2007, a crowd of 500,000

Simon & Garfunkel in Central Park in 1981 another crowd of 500,000.

Both of these were free gigs. I am sure there are bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I think The Stones played Copacabana beach and over a million people attended it, possibly a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Oasis knebworth might squeeze into top 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Woodstock has to be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Rod Stewart in '94 at a New Years party in Copacabana Beach. Supposedly 3/4 million people at it.

rod-stewart-at-copacabana-beach-number-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Rolling stones...... 1million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Rod Stewart in '94 at a New Years party in Copacabana Beach. Supposedly 3/4 million people at it.

It was apparently 3.5 million :eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://www.noiseaddicts.com/2009/08/concerts-with-record-attendance/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

a-ha played to 198,000 at Maracanã Stadium in Rio in 1991. This was, for years, the acknowledged world record for a paying audience.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Roger Waters The Wall in Berlin was pretty huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Think The National at Oxegen last year has to be up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Maybe split this into 2 groups, Free entry gigs and fee paying gigs.

BIG difference between the 2 (attendance wise)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Think The National at Oxegen last year has to be up there.

Not a chance, Oxegen last year didn't even sell its target of 80,000 tickets and that total is minuscule compared to some of the events posted here on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

When Queen played Rock in Rio in 1985 there were something like 350,000 people there. Pretty sure I read that it was the biggest paying audience at the time and possibly still is.

From Wikipedia :-

Both Queen shows were filmed (on January 11 and January 18) and broadcast throughout Brazil by Globo. Each show was watched by nearly 200 million people in over 60 countries and in front of 350,000 people for each night setting a world record for the biggest paying audience ever at the time. It was later broadcast in the United States on MTV as "Queen: Live in Rio".[2]

Extending the OP's question a bit? What is the largest capacity Gig you've ever been to??

Mine was Donington '88, 108,000 people!!!

Was a fcuked up day, they announced the bill in the February, Maiden were gonna headline for the first time, Second from bottom of the bill were a little band called Guns N Roses.

By the time the festival happened GnR were number 1 in both singles and albums chart and were huge, yet still played at 2pm!! 2 fans got crushed to death during there set :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

karaokeman wrote: »
    Not a chance, Oxegen last year didn't even sell its target of 80,000 tickets and that total is minuscule compared to some of the events posted here on thread.

It was ment as a joke as nobody turned up to The national gig at oxegen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

karaokeman wrote: »

Ha It was meant as a joke as The National didn't attract quite the crowd they were hoping.

271005_10150259447137836_680202835_7427560_7489996_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Ha It was meant as a joke as The National didn't attract quite the crowd they were hoping.

Didnt know that,very surprised

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Sadly they were up against Beyonce and every other act was gonna loose out and The National did . Although i really enjoyed them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The California Jam/US Festivals shows in 70s and 80s must be in the top 10

Memorial Day Weekend, 1983 670,000 in attendance 375,000 people on Heavy Metal Sunday

The two Led Zep shows at Knebworth supposedly had a total of about 400,000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Sadly they were up against Beyonce and every other act was gonna loose out and The National did . Although i really enjoyed them

Yeah, every other stage was pretty empty when Beyonce was on. I spent her set watching a band I'd never heard of in one of the smaller tents (The HotPress one I think) - they were headlining that stage that day but only had about 15 people watching. They would actually have done better if they had been given a lower billing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

AC/DC, Metalica, et al. at a military airfield in Moscow...

http://acdczone.com/acdc-news/acdc-tushino-airfield-moscow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

DaveyCakes wrote: »
    AC/DC, Metalica, et al. at a military airfield in Moscow...

http://acdczone.com/acdc-news/acdc-tushino-airfield-moscow

Yep. INSANE!!

Unofficial estimates as high as 1.6 million!!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Lets not forget about Jean Michel Jarre - he's gotta be 'up there' with some of the largest attendences etc..

From Wikipedia..

1979 Jarre performed to a record-breaking audience of more than a million people at the Place de la Concorde, a record he has since broken three times.

He was the first Western musician to be allowed to perform in the People's Republic of China, and holds the world record for the largest-ever audience at an outdoor event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

The URL on the previous page BrianJD posted said that it is a toss up between Rod Stewart on Cococabana and Jean Michel Jarre in Moscow. Both have 3.5million (which at that point they just estimate based on aerial photos). The wikipedia entry for JMJ is a bit badly written as in the above quote because it makes it sound like he has the record for his show in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CarlJones

That looks Awesome.. I want to be there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

The Pope - Phoenix Park. 1 million people.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ok this thread has gone waaayy of topic here ha! If we had a million or so at the National, there wound not be a hope in hell Matt (the lead singer) could have done this! Highlight of Oxegen last year for me!

Timmaay wrote: »

Ok this thread has gone waaayy of topic here ha! If we had a million or so at the National, there wound not be a hope in hell Matt (the lead singer) could have done this! Highlight of Oxegen last year for me!

Wait a minute, did that clown take a CORDED Mic into the crowd!!! Fcukin looper!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

300,000 supposidly at the Stones in Altamont in 1969. That was the one with the shooting.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altamont_Free_Concert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Robbie Williams holds the record in Ireland for the largest ever attended concert for his gig in Phoenix Park in 2003, 137,000. He also holds a similar record in the UK for a 3 night stint at Knebworth which I recall really pissing off Noel Gallagher, as Oasis had previously held the record of two nights. Robbie even had the cheek to ask Oasis to be the support act for the gigs.:rolleyes:

Advertisement