Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

patricks day in enniscorthy

Options
  • 17-03-2012 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

i attended the parade in enniscorthy today and found it to be one of the worst patrick days ever. the parade itself had a great turn out of local sports clubs and dance groups hard to imagine there so many groups in town.. but what is it about the so called floats section when did a bus skip lorry or tractor and trailer become a float. not to mention safety of that size of vehicle goin down through town all loaded with children and no seat belts. not to mentions the horse's leave that for councillar kavanagh. then there was a certain shop selling air horns hair spray and huge party poppers which totally destroyed the area and disturbed everyones peace and enjoyment of the parade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

OMG, Party poppers!

victormeldrew.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It will come as no surprise to my 'fans' here that I can't stand the St.Patrick's Day parade (in town or anywhere else for that matter) and yesterday was no different. I never, ever saw a real one until the first of my children was born (2002) when I was forty two and now that they are old enough, their mother brings them and the grumpy old man can stay at home and ignore the event. I can't make up my mind which sickens me the most about it, the whole 'Oirish' Paddy Whackery thing, the embarrassingly bad parades or the accompanying drunkeness which continues late into the night - it did last night anyway!

This year's St.Patrick's Day was the worst for media hype in a long while as it coincided with 'Seachtain na Gaeilge' - whatever that was all about? The whole thing really grated especially when media types launch into their token cupla focal about St.Patrick's Day only to lapse into calling it 'Patrick's Day' or 'Paddy's Day' a few minutes later. It is called St.Patrick's Day - what's so hard about that ffs!:mad:

Anyway, I managed to sit at home and drown out the parade by turning up the Wales v France match very loud. However, I have to admit that I did look out the window when the firetrucks went past - I always do. Bah, humbug! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I was at the Parade in Enniscorthy, their was a great turnout. I really enjoyed it. Its great - thanks to all those, adults & kids that gave up their free time & marched.

I though the horse & carriages added colour to the parade, reflecting our towns diversity. People coming together can only be a good thing.

I would like to see more floats that are made by clubs or groups, similar to Bui Bolg. Many proper floats are pushed by people along the street, which is fine on the flat streets of Waterford or Dublin but not practical on the hills of Enniscorthy.

I think the Parade is a positive in the Town, it should be cherished & nourished so that it can grow. It draws people into town and that's good for business.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

haron wrote: »
    then there was a certain shop selling air horns hair spray and huge party poppers which totally destroyed the area and disturbed everyones peace and enjoyment of the parade.

I cant comment on yesterday as i was not in the county but the council or the Gardai should be approaching this shop and explaining to them that they will have to go out later that day and pick up the left behind rubbish that they sell. Last year we drove into the town for the opening of the towns birthday celebrations that same shop sold airhorns partypoppers and stringy spray. The music of the Parade was ruinend by the noise of those airhorns and the market square was covered in that sticky stringy spray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

scaller wrote: »
    I cant comment on yesterday as i was not in the county but the council or the Gardai should be approaching this shop and explaining to them that they will have to go out later that day and pick up the left behind rubbish that they sell. Last year we drove into the town for the opening of the towns birthday celebrations that same shop sold airhorns partypoppers and stringy spray. The music of the Parade was ruinend by the noise of those airhorns and the market square was covered in that sticky stringy spray.

It's not the shop's fault if people don't dispose of them properly.

• Advertisement

Ian Whelan wrote: »

How do you suggest that people dispose of the stringy residue that's all over the pavement - lick it up? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

I really thought the parade was very poor. I hadn't attended in quite a few years so maybe there's a touch of rose in my glasses but really, it ain't what it used to be. Either scrap this embarrassing display of self advertising or overhaul it completely...please for the love of St. Patrick.

How do I get on that committee?

What I learned from the parade...... Molloy's have a big fleet of trucks.:rolleyes:

Would it not be better to only have a parade say every five years and really do it properly instead of half assed efforts every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ian7 wrote: »
    I really thought the parade was very poor. I hadn't attended in quite a few years so maybe there's a touch of rose in my glasses but really, it ain't what it used to be. Either scrap this embarrassing display of self advertising or overhaul it completely...please for the love of St. Patrick.

How do I get on that committee?

What I learned from the parade...... Molloy's have a big fleet of trucks.:rolleyes:

You're right,it's turned into a parade followed by a traffic jam of vans & trucks.All imagination is gone from it.A bit of effort & imagination is more memorable than washing a truck and driving it through the streets blowing the horn.Even the kids get bored by it.If I want to see a fleet of trucks all I need do is park near Rosslare when the ferry arrives.

Fair play to those that do put a bit more effort into it though.Are there any prizes for best float/display? "And the prize for best powerwashed vehicle goes to........"

Am i right in saying there was only one actual float? The one with the large shamrock?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Ian Whelan wrote: »

How can anybody dispose of all the small coloured pieces of crepe paper that explode from theses big poppers. The market square around Wickhams butchers and the square was covered in this stuff. This shop is selling them fully knowing that kids will pop them once they get outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Are people on here seriously suggesting that there is a ban on party poppers etc, at a parade?

The bah humbug level of this forum just went up to 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

We pay taxes, taxes go towards the provision of law and order and public services. How can anyone even suggest that a cop should go into a shop to order somebody therein to clean up rubbish that may have come from a product sold by them? When this happens then I'm moving to Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Ok...so what would be a good parade?

Lots of grumbling here, not too many suggestions of what would make it better

Agreed on Molloy's trucks- no need
    Bui Bolg and the likes of those groups don't just turn up for free (but a good idea!)
    Don't think having a parade every five years is a good idea; while we could (and I think its fair comment) give out about noise, litter and so forth, it brings people into the town. How many other times of the year do thousands of people come in to Enniscorthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The 1500 parade was pretty good,but we had Bui Bolg on hand for that.

It wouldn't take a whole lot or cost much to make some half decent floats.Even the old fashioned bales on a trailer with a ceili band onboard is a step up from a fleet of machinery.

Perhaps ask some of the people in Bui Bolg for some ideas on how to improve the parades.What they do is genius.

The arts centre in the town (personally I think it should have been the Athenaeum) will be opening in the near future...in the long run that could become the genesis for a Bui Bolg-style operation in the town.

Ceili band on a trailer is too Oirish, can't see JD liking that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I thought their used to be a prize given for the best float. I remember SuperValu winning it or L&N as it was then.

All participants want to advertise, so there should be an big incentive to be in the local paper, having been Voted best float - lots of free publicity for a local company.

Maybe a prize for most imaginative float or most Irish float or most musical float or whatever.

The Dublin parade has a theme every year, so maybe Enniscorthy could have a theme with a prize sponsored by the Council / business interests.

A parade every 5 years wouldn't work IMO. The parade is a bit like Marmite you either like it or you loath it ;) Kids love it, lots of little kids would miss out if it was only held every 5 years!

There were prizes given out this year- listed in the Guardian.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haron

as was mentioned earlier. the town aint suited for floats to b pushed around why not change the route and stay away from hills and town centre. groups and clubs. start at swimming pool railway square head along the quay over the new bridge where the floats join off the wexford road then along the prom turn up by the clinic back to abbey square along burger mac side of quay over old bridge where floats and clubs seperate again. nice route fairly level and wide roads for all molloys trucks.. i think clubs would make floats but need help with how to make. and then the likes off molloys could use there trucks for pullin floats

klong wrote: »
    Ceili band on a trailer is too Oirish, can't see JD liking that!

Really? you're worried about one man being offended? Ceili bands are part of the heritage and are lively so no harm in having them.
    haron wrote: »
    start at swimming pool railway square head along the quay over the new bridge where the floats join off the wexford road then along the prom turn up by the clinic back to abbey square along burger mac side of quay over old bridge where floats and clubs seperate again. nice route fairly level and wide roads for all molloys trucks.. i think clubs would make floats but need help with how to make. and then the likes off molloys could use there trucks for pullin floats

Nice idea! level route, club made floats, sorted. The earlier idea of a Bui Bolg type organisation setting up in the new Arts Centre is also a good one. Some really solid ideas here.

• Advertisement

Ian7 wrote: »
    Really? you're worried about one man being offended? Ceili bands are part of the heritage and are lively so no harm in having them.

Absolutely not- smiley should have been there... :pac:

sorry I did detect some sarcasm in it but I was having a slow day.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭poppy123

Is there an arts centre opening in the town, do you know when or where?
    thanks

In the former Presentation Convent by the Duffry. What I've heard though is that it will be more of a community arts space than an arts centre (the latter coming with fulltime staff, the former not).

Opening date is this summer.

Cool thanks, must look into it :)

klong wrote: »
    In the former Presentation Convent by the Duffry. What I've heard though is that it will be more of a community arts space than an arts centre (the latter coming with fulltime staff, the former not).

Opening date is this summer.

Opening in May

Thats brilliant thanks. Dont suppose you know who is running it ?

Found the details, thanks :)

Advertisement