Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fenced pond off the motorway near Fermoy

Options
  • 17-03-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. Does anyone know what the fenced pond beside the motorway near Fermoy is? It's on the left hand side as you travel South. The fence must be about nine foot high!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

They have these at regular intervals along the M6 in Galway. I'm only guessing but i'd say they are there to hold rain water run off from the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Two functions:

1. In periods of heavy rainfall, the run-off from the road is stored in the pond and then gradually released, thereby reducing the risk of flash floods.
    2. It can act as an interceptor in the event of a fuel or chemical spill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Victor wrote: »
    Two functions:

1. In periods of heavy rainfall, the run-off from the road is stored in the pond and then gradually released, thereby reducing the risk of flash floods.
    2. It can act as an interceptor in the event of a fuel or chemical spill.

Spot on Victor arent they called atuention ponds or something like that..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Thanks everyone, why are they fenced? I initially thought they were duck ponds with mink protection, but it's a mad place for ducks (beside a motorway) and the high fencing would make landing pretty difficult for them. Fish farms with mink protection was another guess. Are the ponds very deep and the fencing is for safety? kids and drunks!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes. I imagine when it rains that they can fill quite quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

John_Rambo wrote: »
    ..why are they fenced?

To keep children and livestock out to prevent drownings.

Advertisement