Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fuse box.

Options
  • 17-03-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

need to remove a fuse from the main fuse box.i know what some are going to say but money is tight so i need to check it for my self.i can get a pic up if necessary but the fuses seem to be attached to a metal bar with no visible signs of how it is fixed.can someone shed some light please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

bugsntinas wrote: »
    .i know what some are going to say.

electricity kills!!!!!!

this may be a better forum for you however
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?forumid=1018

mods may move it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Put up e few pics, as an experienced DIYer I'll see if I can help.

op
    i wouldnt advise anybody who is not sure what they are at to start messing about at a fuse board
    it just isnt safe
    a dickhead answer is not what you got
    i have pointed you to the electrical forum where you will be helped by electricians
    i would hope that they too would advise not interfering with a fuseboard if you are not competent(as paddy 147 also said)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

paddy147 wrote: »
    Oh sweet lord jesus christ......So now the answer you have got here from the members,is a "dick" answer??

And thats because you dont like the answer you got.

But you think you can do a better job and take apart a mains fuse board,yet you havent a clue what you are doing???

Did you not see the TV ad on RTE and TV3 about using a registered electrician that is approved and insured (safe electric).

You should take the advice given.

Regards.

no offence intended as i know ya ment well but let me put it this way,
    last week we had 10 euro spare and this week we have 3,petrol has just gone up again to 1.65 so i have no choice i have to do it myself unless someones gonna come round and do it for free.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Put up e few pics, as an experienced DIYer I'll see if I can help.

the fuse that keeps tripping is the top right fuse.
    just found 1 dead mouse in there probably shocked at the state of the wires:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

op
    why are you trying to remove this mcb
    this is a socket circuit

(it is very dangerous to work on this if you are not qualified)
    the mcb beside it is for the shower which if recently wired ,should be on its own rcbo

by the way
    make sure to turn the main switch off before removing that mouse

yep know about turning of the power before working on it all.let me explain a little.
    all was well with the electrics(well as all right as poss)then one day the boys were having a bath(which is directly above the fuse box with removed floorboards,not by us)and the water splashed out and down onto the fuses.since then half of the sockets in the kitchen don't work we have to use extension leads from the others and i know it's not ideal.
    if i put the fuse back up sometimes it'll be ok for 5 minutes or so and other times it trips straight away.

possibly not a mcb fault(may be an overload problem)

If water did get into your distribution board then you really need to get it checked out by a qualified person
    im sorry but i cannot advise you here how to resolve your problem

i do understand that finances are tight but your safety is much more important
    if however you do decide to work on this then make sure the power is off and all connections are fully tightened

on closer inspection of your picture it looks like the top 4 mcbs are showing signs of water damage

really is a job for a professional
    take care and update

• Advertisement

The bottom left is the main switch, pull down the grey lever, you can then remove the main fuse.
    The MCB is tripping either because of a short circuit, an overload or a faulty MCB.
    The mcb can be removed by undoing the top and bottom screws, there's a little clip on the bottom of the mcb that you need to pull down to release it from the rail, you may need to slacken the the bottom screws on the adjacent mcbs to remove the faulty one.
    Remember to tighten everything before switching back on.

aujopimur wrote: »
    The bottom left is the main switch, pull down the grey lever, you can then remove the main fuse.
    The MCB is tripping either because of a short circuit, an overload or a faulty MCB.
    The mcb can be removed by undoing the top and bottom screws, there's a little clip on the bottom of the mcb that you need to pull down to release it from the rail, you may need to slacken the the bottom screws on the adjacent mcbs to remove the faulty one.
    Remember to tighten everything before switching back on.

Thanks very much. I might not be as experienced as some, but that does make sense even to me. Would you have any idea how much a new one would cost? Thanks again.

I'm not sure, but I guess about 4/5 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok I'm closing this thread for two reasons, firstly it is finished, this is not a DIY job OP, part of the reasons for setting up this forum was to point this type of thing out to people.
    Secondly, some of the language used is not acceptable, so please if you see this type of language again don't quote it and don't take it as a free for all to continue along the same lines please. I removed some posts from this thread.

OP I hope you got the info you required and that the main thing that you took from this is that working on a live consumer unit/ fuse board is not DIY work. It can't be fully isolated and we don't advise along those lines sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement