Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism

Options
  • 17-03-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hey all,

I was wondering has anyone here done/is doing the journalism course in DIT? I am thinking of doing and have a level 5 cert in journalism, was just wondering what the course content is, etc, Also is it very news based? I hope to work in magazines and my last course was quite news based, I'm wondering is the degree the same?

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 penpusher

my tuppence - am in year 3 right now.

Yes is a very - boringly - news based degree. I think in fourth year they do a magazine but that's too little too late, in my opinion. We do learn Indesign/Quark, but then do a newspaper layout with it:)

My advice - go intern for free at a magazine if you can - 4 years definitely too long to wait. course content is broadly media studies, politics, reporting, film and documentary, radio & online news, business economics

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I graduated a year or two back. As penpusher said, it is very news based, but sure it's a journalism course.

The course is arming you with a broad knowledge base so you can go and work in a newspaper. Colour writing is discouraged for the most part and the whole thing is big on the inverted pyramid style of attack.

It's one of those courses where you get out what you put in. I focused on all the tech involved and found myself employable at the end of it. Others fell in love with radio and went down that route. It's a very broad course, which is a good starting point, but it's up to you to get that extra knowledge.

If you've got a background in journalism and have your heart set on a certain topic, I'd advise steering clear of the course because you're going to get plenty of info on economics, politics, sociology and more.

Personally I found it to be a very interesting and enjoyable course, but much of that was doing my own work outside of the course focus.

If you want to do fashion for example, I'd suggest interning for a bit and then trying to go for a fashion journalism specific course.

Think about what areas of knowledge you're currently missing and then fill that gap. Your previous course must have told you how to write for news, so you don't need more of that, especially if you're aiming for a magazine.

Also a degree in journalism doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get a job in journalism. The majority of my class don't work in journalism, and the same goes for the class above and below me.

Really it all comes down to what you've done and what makes you stand out.

Advertisement