Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fuse problem

Options
  • 18-03-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

originally posted on the diy section but i think i worded it wrong and used the wrong words.firstly does the wiring for this board look ok apart from the dead mouse!:eek:

196801.JPG

i am having trouble with the fuse in the top left corner(down position).it controls the half sockets in the kitchen.the box is situated below the bath and that's where the problems started.the boys had a bath one day and done a lot of splashing.we noticed water dripping out of the fusebox cover then the fuse tripped.now when put back up sometimes it works for 5 minutes and sometimes trips straight away.i suspect that maybe it has got damaged inside is it possible to remove the fuse and replace it?
    now without causing anger anywhere we are skint we had 10 euro spare last week and 3 this week money is a massive issue.i know i should get someone qualified in put we simply can't afford it.any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OP as discussed working on a live board is not a DIY job.

However I wont close this thread as there are no issues with the language used in it (so far) and the forum members can discuss what they see in the picture.

Please note that this thread should not advise the OP on what he/she would do, please continue this thread as a discussion but do not instruct the OP.

The instruction for the OP is to get a qualified certified person to look at the issue.

My first observation would be that water is a conductor and addressing the leaking bath with all the power off would be a priority

Secondly a mouse shorting the neutral and live between his tail and head is dangerous and should not be in a consumer unit

It is difficult to see how many cables enter the bottom of the MCB on the top right hand corner of the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

You need to employ an electrican that will turn off the the main fuse in the bottom left corner (the one with the grey "door"). He will then remove the little cartridge fuse behind the grey door which looks like this:

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e26336d5f3851568c6dc129be0693c44ba4fe3.jpg

once he takes the fuse is out the whole house will be dead.

Then he will replace the water damaged MCB (top right)with a similar one which will be about €10. They are held in place with a no.2 posidrive screw top and bottom like the photo below.

!B05qQd!EGk~$(KGrHqMOKikE)(B)5+NFBMcV61y12g~~_35.JPG

He will use a phase tester throughout to test that nothing is live.

PR-113.jpg

Make sure the electrician knows his stuff. If he looks unsure tell him to wear two or three pairs of rubber gloves ;-D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

Stoner wrote: »

It is difficult to see how many cables enter the bottom of the MCB on the top right hand corner of the picture

They look like they are coming down behind the mcb and not into it you can see the tab for removing the mcb infront of the wires.

And OP I think this is a job that even an experienced DIYer should "NOT" attempt.The most you should do at that board now is put the lid back on.
    I understand things are hard with money but surely you know someone or someone who knows someone else that can take a look at it for you as a favour.
    Is the house rented by any chance if so get onto the landlord to sort it asap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

cgarrad wrote: »
    You need to employ an electrican that will turn off the the main fuse in the bottom left corner (the one with the

Make sure the electrician knows his stuff. If he looks unsure tell him to wear two or three pairs of rubber gloves ;-D

Did you not read what Stoner said and directed people NOT DO DO?????

Or are you purposely blind??:rolleyes:

Stoner wrote: »
    OP as discussed working on a live board is not a DIY job.

Please note that this thread should not advise the OP on what he/she would do, please continue this thread as a discussion but do not instruct the OP.

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Did you not read what Stoner said and directed people NOT DO DO?????

Or are you blind??:rolleyes:

I told him to get an electrician in the first 5 words of the first line and put it in bold?????

Now he understands the work to be done is minor and can pay accordingly.

Sorry if the post is too informative ;)

I told him to get an electrician in the first 5 words of the first line and put it in bold?????

Now he understands the work to be done is minor and can pay accordingly.

Sorry if the post is too informative ;)

Sorry??
    No you aint.:rolleyes:

And you purposely go completely against what the moderator has told people not to do.

You are also putting the OPs safety at serious risk here,with your original post.

Hmmm Let me take a stab in the dark here,Your not an electrician are you??:rolleyes:

No.

But i have wired 2 large houses and a retail unit from scratch though and they have not blown up yet ;)

Look I really don't mind if the Mod wants to remove my post but fixing the problem correctly is safer than putting together some temporary fix.

No.

But i have wired 2 large houses and a retail unit from scratch though and they have not blown up yet ;)

Look I really don't mind if the Mod wants to remove my post but fixing the problem correctly is safer than putting together some temporary fix.

So you are not an electrician then,but you rewired 2 houses and a commercial retail unit.

So have you got these rewires fully certified then??????

Fixing the problem is what everyone else has said here so far........get a qualified and insured (safe electric) electrician in.

Not your original sillly and dangerous post and advice.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Odelay

Hi bugsntinas,

Are you by any chance in a rented house? If so this could be solved by calling the landlord. Not being cheeky, but i know that many people avoid calling them and prefer to solve problems themselves but afaik these things are tax deuctable and shouldn't hurt him too much.
    tbh that box looks a little "busy" and from the pic it would be hard to tell exactly what is causing the trip to happen, I would be worried about what other damage the mouse caused that cannot be easily seen with untrained eyes.

Best of luck op.

No.

Lucky you my house is 25 years old,I moved in here 5 years ago and nothing has blown up either but having said that it has to be one of the worst wiring jobs ive ever seen.I only discovered last week that the shower and the immersion were not on the RCD and in fact the RCD was bypassed as well....So the fact nothing has blown up means absolutly nothing..

Maybe it should be removed because showing the op "indirectly" how to fix the problem is not the safer option, there is no temporary fix option here..

good advice here so far, thanks for the reports etc,
    I don't see the issue with running through what a qualified electrician would do but concern for safety is always appreciated here and thank you to everyone for that. The advice to go to a landlord if possible is very good IMHO. Going to lock this off now I think it's finished.

Thanks all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement