Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to get a horse - rehoming option first?

Options
  • 18-03-2012 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at getting a horse. I would prefer to rehome one if possible before going and buying one. I am looking for a quiet riding horse/cob for RC, hunter trials and hacking .. good on roads etc (isn't everyone!). I would prefer not to get a reen unbroken horse that I would have to get broken myself. I have contacted the IHWT but they said they rarely have that type to rehome, they usually would not end up having to be rehomed.
    I was just wondering are there any other smaller organisations in Ireland that would have horses to be rehomed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I think you are unfortunately going to come across the same response from most of the centres. Most (I'm not sayin all) horses up for adoption have had problems in the past of abuse neglect etc. and are on a rocky road to recovery.

Whereabouts are you based? You could try the ISPCA or DSPCA as they sometimes have animals.

There is also a member on boards who I think is based in the uk and rehomed rescue horses from Ireland and the uk and has posted on here before. Search for a post in equestrian called Rescue Horses and you'll find a thread started by someone that rehomed one of their horses.
    Their website is http://equinerescueandrehoming.webs.com

On my phone and I can't get the URL linky working.
    I think they have a Facebook page so might be worth checking out.

Best of luck, I hope you find what you are looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

http://www.facebook.com/groups/244883152249176/

Try this group on Facebook... I know there have been recent successful rehoming cases off the back of the group! I myself have taken on a Pony as a result of the page.

( Mods Its a page not a rescue )

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

There's a place in Omeath, Co. Louth also (near Newry), there was an article in the Local paper about them- they sometimes are given horses that were in good homes, but the owners can't afford to keep them anymore- Hollys Heaven I think was the name- worth ringing them to see if they might have some horse that would suit you. Fair play for trying to give a good horse a new start- far too many good horses going to the factory for the want of a new home

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Eshaness wrote: »
    There's a place in Omeath, Co. Louth also (near Newry), there was an article in the Local paper about them- they sometimes are given horses that were in good homes, but the owners can't afford to keep them anymore- Hollys Heaven I think was the name- worth ringing them to see if they might have some horse that would suit you. Fair play for trying to give a good horse a new start- far too many good horses going to the factory for the want of a new home

Thanks :) I have emailed the Hollys Haven place so will see what they have. I am to hear back from the IHWT later this week as to what horses/cobs they have at the mo that are suitable for riding.
    Has anyone here rehomed a racehorse from the IHWT before?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A friend rehomed a racehorse, but to be honest, he really wasn't up to much. Slow as a snail, fell over jumps and spooky as hell. Now, he may have been an exception, but she was very disappointed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 KazNCD

I have rehomed a racehorse about a year ago who was also very slow and falling over things. I have spent the time and money feeding him up and getting work done on his back and he has turned into a fabulous horse. Novice riders can hack him out safely and more experienced riders can get a great tune out of him and he has just completed his first dressage competition :D.

Check out racehorse to riding horse on facebook. If you contact Julie on the page she might know of suitable horses looking for rehoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

Its great to see racehorses rehomed, but if you are a novice, I would think carefully about it. Have seen racehorses rehomed, and some work out great, but it is hard work and involves a lot of reschooling, and depending on how much they were raced, they can get jissed up very easily- you need be confident in your riding. Also they are more delicate, need rugging, generally not suitable to live out year round and take more work regarding feeding etc, to keep condition on and fizzyness down. I really admire those who take them on; but I know myself I wouldn't have the skills for it. Maybe taking one after it has been re-schooled might be an option. Also think about costs and where you're going to keep the horse now and long term- at home living out or live in livery? Hot blooded horses can work out more expensive to keep. Good luck with your search, and don't rush making any decisions!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Hi,
    I have contacted the IHWT but they said they rarely have that type to rehome, they usually would not end up having to be rehomed.

Read between the lines ;)

You need to decide whether you want a rescue horse, or a riding horse.

Rescue horses are or were at some point, somebody's 'problem' horse. Either they lacked ability, had behavioural problems, lack of training, physical issues ... something made them 'worthless' and they ended up in rescue.
    Why? Because you have to invest time and money into that horse to make it good again. Which is fine, if you have the money, time and experience to do so ... its not something that generally someone looking for a quiet cob/RC horse is prepared to take on.

A free horse is never a cheap horse.

I have spent 10x times as much time, money and had 10x the heartaches with my 'rescue' then on my riding horse and he was only ever designed to be a companion. He was perfectly fit, healthy and sound when I got him (though unbroken and blind in one eye)

With the market the way it is, there are plenty of quiet hacking horses going for peanuts, and there is less associated risk.

Rescue a horse is a great thing to do - but are you prepared to sacrifice your riding ambitions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

OP Limerick Animal Welfare as far as I know are looking for homes for horses and ponies so maybe give them a buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

Thanks to everyone for all the comments :) I have been speaking with the IHWT and after telling them what I was looking for they told me about an ex racer that they had previously rehomed a few years ago. The horse has since in the past few weeks had to be given back to the IHWT as the owners circumstances have changed and they have emigrated.
    I went up to their centre during the week to see the horse and was delighted with him. The previous owner did RC, hunter trials and some hunting with him so he has a bit of sense :) I rode him for a small bit also to get a feel for him and loved him. Will be heading up again this week to see him, it will be another 2 or 3 weeks I say before I get to take him away but so far so good anyway :D

I also spoke with the ISPCA and they were saying that they also have horses to rehome that were originally rehomed but due to the owners change in circumstances the horses have since had to be returned to them :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement