Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking a company for an Internship?

Options
  • 18-03-2012 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Has anyone actually asked a company for an internship and gotten one?
    also are these worth doing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Definitely innovative and worth a shot, what have you got to lose?

Perhaps call and ask to speak to HR in a company and state you're looking to apply for an intern role and offer your services for experience and who should you address it to, but use the call to semi state your case so they've spoken to you and are more enclined to agree (imo) and may give you an email address or put you through to someone who can organise an interview there and then...

I admire your proactive approach though, and I hope prospective employers do too, and it could lead to a job offer, either directly or indirectly. But definitely a good talking point on your CV regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Yeah defo worth it you are getting experience and gaining contacts!

A lot of companies have Internship info on their website under the employment section

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Disko biscuits

Just making sure as I habe read nothing but bad things about how companys use there interns for all the wrong reason, but at least it will look good on the CV that I am no lazy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

Rather than contacting HR directly you would be better to find out the name of the person who heads up the department you want to work in and contact them directly. How they respond to you will give you an good indication of whether or not you want to work with them. Good luck

Maglight wrote: »
    Rather than contacting HR directly you would be better to find out the name of the person who heads up the department you want to work in and contact them directly. How they respond to you will give you an good indication of whether or not you want to work with them. Good luck

I was planning on getting one in sports direct in the square.. so be better asking for the manager and asking him/her ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

I was planning on getting one in sports direct in the square.. so be better asking for the manager and asking him/her ?

Sorry I don't know Sports Direct. Is it a retail outlet? If it's retail they probably have centralised HR so you are best to go to HR. The local manager may not have hiring authority. In larger companies the department heads usually have hiring authority so you are better approaching them directly.

Maglight wrote: »
    Sorry I don't know Sports Direct. Is it a retail outlet? If it's retail they probably have centralised HR so you are best to go to HR. The local manager may not have hiring authority. In larger companies the department heads usually have hiring authority so you are better approaching them directly.
    Sorry for the late reply, Yes it's a retail outlet. I might consider doing an internship, wonder if you got one for a month, worked really well and then a position became free would you get it?

Advertisement