Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Eathrin wrote: »
    Just gutted, to lose it like that...
    I don't really have much to say right now.

Ya probably would have been easier for ye if they won 4-0 or ye lost or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

TheTownie wrote: »
    Today's set of results was certainly the wish of Nedum Onouha;

Possibly a few of the other ex-City players in the QPR team felt that way too.

yes this was definitely the reason for city winning the entire league...... ... .. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

horrible way to finish off the season, so near at the end but fck it.

still not as bad as the year we lost out to leeds imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

listermint wrote: »
    yes this was definitely the reason for city winning the entire league...... ... .. . .

You're quoting the wrong post lad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well in my 40 years lifetime Liverpool have won:

11 League titles, 5 European cups, 6 FA Cups, so that beats you! No need to watch football anymore!
    No f**king way :eek:
    I had you down for 18 at the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭mada999

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    My response to each and every cnut who tries to slag me (mainly pool fans) is that "i've seen United lift 12 leagues, 2 European Cups and 4 FA cups in my 20 something years.....I've had enough enjoyment to last a lifetime.. i'm happy enough. What have you won?"

don’t congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either – your
    choices (and the team you support) are half chance, so are everybody else’s.

Wear Sunscreen.....Baz Luhrmann

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Hate fans that don't want to watch football just because their team is not doing well. I for one will be watching my team next year, and the year after no matter how they do.

It's almost as bad as gloating when a team that you do not support wins things instead.

I think he was been satirical there replying to the other post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well in my 40 years lifetime Liverpool have won:

11 League titles, 5 European cups, 6 FA Cups, so that beats you! No need to watch football anymore!

Well aren't you one of the lucky ones. The majority of pool fans I know and the majority on this forum have seen only seen Liverpools consistent failure over 20 years. Past success is all very well but if you weren't there to enjoy its not the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

The minute I let myself believe for the first time all week, Dzeko scored. :( Truly devastating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The missus insisted on leaving on the trophy presentation,she likes watching things like that.I logged on here & blocked it all out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

zerks wrote: »
    The missus insisted on leaving on the trophy presentation,she likes watching things like that.I logged on here & blocked it all out.
    Ditch her right now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Brian017 wrote: »
    The minute I let myself believe for the first time all week, Dzeko scored. :( Truly devastating.

I think thats the thing which hurts the most; I genuinely spent the first 80 minutes of the game resigned to the fact City would likely make a come back. It wasn't untilt eh final whistle blew at the United game I let myself believe....and seconds later, City scored the winner. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

sigh.... I was planning on avoiding all results today as I thought it was in the bag. The i heard City were 2-1 down w 25 to go... I listened on the radio...
    Ah the feckin hope killed me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

cambo2008 wrote: »
    No f**king way :eek:
    I had you down for 18 at the most.

Probably funnier than you meant! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

Sick to my stomach, my heart hurts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

De Gea - "Thank you to all the fans for your support.. We were very close, but the next year we'll come stronger!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I almost cried. Gutted. Sick to my stomach. Having a shít week as it is, I'm going back on the smokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf,you've got to imagine if the result was shown in the stadium that QPR were up no matter what, a few of those QPR players wouldn't be trying very hard to stop City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf,you've got to imagine if the result was shown in the stadium that QPR were up no matter what, a few of those QPR players wouldn't be trying very hard to stop City

Oh jesus man, City won they deserved it had the best overall season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was sickened at the moment that Aguero goal went in. One of those 'feck this sport' moments. I've mellowed a bit since though. Fergie's helped as his attitude has been uplifting about it.

Wasn't a great season and I don't think we'll look back on it with fondness. Can't actually think of any positives from it overall?

Here's to a good Euros and some positive transfers in the summer.

Oh jesus man, City won they deserved it had the best overall season.

Course they did, United shouldn't have been close tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Wasn't a great season and I don't think we'll look back on it with fondness. Can't actually think of any positives from it overall?
    Finished on 89 points. Battled through despite a terrible injury list. De Gea, Evans, Jones, Smalling, Welbeck and Cleverly all showing varying levels of great potential.

There are definitely positives.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm really hoping Fergie comes out in the next day or two and confirms a midfield signing quickly. Someone like Kagawa being confirmed would help ease a lot of the agony of how it turned out on the final day and could reassure United fans greatly.

Finished on 89 points. Battled through despite a terrible injury list. De Gea, Evans, Jones, Smalling, Welbeck and Cleverly all showing varying levels of great potential.

Aye, tbh, we'd have won the league with a fit Fletcher and Vidic. Much the same as City wouldn't win without Kompany and Toure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Indeed. I mean, on reflection, we brought it to almost literally the last kick of the season. And if De Gea can continue improving, and if we could have Cleverley for an entire season....

On the other hand, I'm ruing what might have been had Scholesy not retired for the first half of the season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Posted these on Facebook. Sums up my thoughts...
    I'm not gonna go mental saying Fergie should be sacked or anything. 89 points would win most seasons, and we had it won until...you know.

But both he and the Glazers need to shoulder some of the blame. The Glazers for landing us in so much debt that we couldn't compete (City had the luxury of having a Tevez to replace a Balotelli, and vice versa). When Vidic, Fletcher and Cleverly went down, so did our chances due to lack of depth. And Fergie for being so stubborn in his ways, case in point starting Park, Giggs & Scholes together in the derby.

Hopefully this will show that major changes are needed and kick off a long, great rivalry at the top. City don't deserve credit for this. Half a billion it took and they still nearly blew it. But it's been probably the most entertaining and dramatic Premiership season ever. So more of same next year, please. Although maybe QPR can hold on for three minutes longer then...
    Oh, and Liverpool fans...really? Really?? Pretty sure you'd take Champions League football over the Carling Cup if you could. Sit down, stay quiet and sit in the corner with your pretend trophy and dying football club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Didn't watch a single second of football, delighted I didn't now. ****ing hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

saw this on facebook and I lol'd :
    Other fans celebrating City's win is like being happy watching your friend ******g your wife as you're incapable of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

leggo wrote: »
    Oh, and Liverpool fans...really? Really?? Pretty sure you'd take Champions League football over the Carling Cup if you could. Sit down, stay quiet and sit in the corner with your pretend trophy and dying football club.

Whatever makes you feel better....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Posted these on Facebook. Sums up my thoughts...
    [ City don't deserve credit for this. Half a billion it took and they still nearly blew it

Really? So bitter. Anyone, United fan or a fan of another club who are going on about City's money are embarrassing themselves massively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    My response to each and every cnut who tries to slag me (mainly pool fans) is that "i've seen United lift 12 leagues, 2 European Cups and 4 FA cups in my 20 something years.....I've had enough enjoyment to last a lifetime.. i'm happy enough. What have you won?"

They've won the same as you tbh.

Ugh, the only thing that gets me is the lazy critiques of United's season. In no way, shape or form is this a poor United team. Some areas that need improvement but other areas that have improved big time.

+1. Lost the league on goal difference and with two minutes to go. It's not all that bad considering. Still think the quality of both City and United is lacking - both were quickly found out in Europe so there may be some changes needed in both teams. United could do with some established player in the centre imo.

Absolutely need a new CM and I think that is guaranteed to be a position that is strengthened. Fergie recognised the need for a new CM when Fletcher got sick and brought back Scholes. Doubt he'll make the same mistake again.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Absolutely gutted at the way it ended, but thats football. Hopefully SAF will be able to add some proper strength to the squad for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"I would like to say on behalf of Manchester United congratulations to our neighbours. It's a fantastic achievement to win the Premier League. It's the hardest league in the world and anyone who wins it deserves it."

Well done to Fergie.

(I can't find it in myself to be as gracious)

Really? So bitter. Anyone, United fan or a fan of another club who are going on about City's money are embarrassing themselves massively.

How? What did Man City achieve?

"If we buy every good player we can, we'll win!"

That's like an athlete saying, "If I take the most steroids, I'll be the fastest person in the race!", i.e. not much of an achievement, especially if they have an unfair advantage and still nearly lose.

United built themselves up from mid-table and became a force, bought young players and incorporated them into their system with the occasional marquee buy, nurtured players through their youth system, all the while keeping an exciting style of play. We've achieved everything we have (that is, the most successful English club in history) on merit.

City achieved it with an unfair advantage. It's like someone winning the lotto and claiming they know more about making themselves rich than a millionaire entrepreneur who started with nothing. No wait, it's like that person winning the lotto, nearly losing it all, then claiming to be a success.

Today, United lost. I accept that. No bitterness there. But so did football. If you can't see that then maybe your perspective is as misguided as it was when you chose which football team to support. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Renn wrote: »
    They've won the same as you tbh.
    Not in the last 20 years they didn't.

Well clearly my post was hinting at the fact that the poster had zero involvement in what they won but yet feels like they did.

As for football being the loser here? Massive LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That's like an athlete saying, "If I take the most steroids, I'll be the fastest person in the race!", i.e. not much of an achievement, especially if they have an unfair advantage and still nearly lose.

United built themselves up from mid-table and became a force, bought young players and incorporated them into their system with the occasional marquee buy, nurtured players through their youth system, all the while keeping an exciting style of play. We've achieved everything we have (that is, the most successful English club in history) on merit.

City achieved it with an unfair advantage. It's like someone winning the lotto and claiming they know more about making themselves rich than a millionaire entrepreneur who started with nothing. No wait, it's like that person winning the lotto, nearly losing it all, then claiming to be a success.

Today, United lost. I accept that. No bitterness there. But so did football. If you can't see that then maybe your perspective is as misguided as it was when you chose which football team to support. :p

Dig up.

• Advertisement

Renn wrote: »
    As for football being the loser here? Massive LOL :D

Agreed. It's good for football that another team won the league. City will not keep spending the same way but will continue to be a force based on the initial injections of cash. This can only be good for the competition.

If they do happen to keep spending at the same rate, god help us all.

Dig up.

Yawn. Get off the bandwagon, your team lost again. Worry about your own problems. You'll have plenty of time to do so on Tuesdays and Wednesdays next season. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

season is over and in India it is monday. So time to change the topic from this boring bickering. :D

Lewandowski's agent confirmed that United are interested. Not sure how true it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Lewandowski's agent confirmed that United are interested. Not sure how true it is.

Oh please **** no! I can't stand Lewandowski. I love to watch Dortmund and imo they are much better team with Barrios. I can't stand Lewandowski. He's slow and ponderous and polar opposite of what we need. He's a very poor man's Berbatov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Hopefully the purchases will all be made before the Euros.

Why did QPR lump the ball after the 2nd City goal, should have held it and kill the game, not give em the ball back. Ah well. Onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

s.welstead wrote: »
    Oh please **** no! I can't stand Lewandowski. I love to watch Dortmund and imo they are much better team with Barrios. I can't stand Lewandowski. He's slow and ponderous and polar opposite of what we need. He's a very poor man's Berbatov.

And strikers dept is least of our problem. Kagawa makes much more sense and I think Lewandowski is just playing few games for bigger pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Lads, money can't buy success. Look at Liverpool and the huge transfer fees they ve spent since kenny took over. Then look at the table and you ll see that little old everton who are on social welfare finished above you!!!!! Seanie Fitzpatrick would ve invested better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

We've been through this before with Chelsea and weve come out better the other side. If anything the silver lining here is that it may spur on Fergie to stay on and fully create his 4th great side himself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

The league title. Did you miss it?

That's exactly what United have done. And Chelsea. And Arsenal to an extent aswell. It's what every team in history has done. City have just done it quicker.

Is it illegal to buy good players now? :confused:

United had a crop of talented youth players which came through in one or two seasons and they were good. But they're mostly gone. And what's left has been bought in, with the exception of Jonny Evans. They have also had more than a 'few' marquee signings. Robson, Keane, Cantona, Cole, Yorke, Stam, Keane, Robson, Rooney, Veron, Van Nistelrooy, Berbatov, Phil Jones, Ferdinand, De Gea, Carrick, Valencia the list goes on and on and on. Each one contributing (or not in the case of Veron) to their success. Each one costing a fortune.

City have got some great players for half nothing (relatively speaking), like Zabaleta and Kompany for £6 million each. They have their share of youth players aswell. Richards and Hart being two. The rest weren't good enough and were rightfully sold/loaned, like Ireland, Johnson, Sturridge, and Onouha, like United have done with countless youth players.

They were the best team, so it was achieved on merit. Liverpool spent an absolute fortune also, where are they? Chelsea spent £58 million on Torres. Did they get much value from that up until a month ago? So it's not just money, it's spending it wisely. It's what needed to compete. Even Barca spend fortunes on players and they have the best youth system in the world.

So Man Utd started with nothing is it? FFS stop it's embarrassing.

Any shred of credibility evaporated at that. How did football lose? The most dramatic moment in Premier League history; unbelievable entertainment, which is exactly what football is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Rubbish. Every match still has to be won. Injurues, tactics and tough away legs, they all still need to be dealt with and money doesn't guaruntee success.

They won because they stayed the course and got the breaks today but they got themselves into tht position exactly the same way UTD did. Fair play to them.

To compete in the EPL you need to spend big, to win it and to have a decent CL squad you need to spend serious amounts as UTD have done before. They get their money from a different source than us but thats inconsequential. It should not take away from the team and the managers achievment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement