Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Both those things are possible, but given his history with Liverpool I cant see it. Dont think we'd pay the amount needed to get him. Hope I'm wrong though!

This made me wonder have Chelsea ever sold players for a substantial amount in the Abramovich era, I think only Robben and Zhirkov were sold for more than £10 million. If Torres leaves, I think he will leave for £10-15 million but to a foreign team, if a premiership team were interested he would cost £20+ milllion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Keno 92 wrote: »
    7231138750_b6a6e88c46.jpg

Guy on the left is an absolute tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Samich wrote: »
    Guy on the left is an absolute tank

I think it's Geoff Bent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I think it's Geoff Bent.

No it's Duncan Edwards. It was taken before their final match and Bent wasn't playing that game.

Left to Right: Duncan Edwards, Eddie Colman, Mark Jones, Ken Morgans, Bobby Charlton, Dennis Violett, Tommy Taylor, Bill Foulkes, Harry Gregg, Albert Scanlon and Roger Byrne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Pro. F wrote: »
    Seria A would be perfect for Berba. They'd love his style in that league.

Del Piero replacement?

I think it's Geoff Bent.

Duhhhhhhhhh.

Give up. Useless so ye are. :pac:

No it's Duncan Edwards.

homer-doh-square.jpg

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Duhhhhhhhhh.

Give up. Useless so ye are. :pac:

Since you've changed your avatar you've changed Ivy. You used to be cool maaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Since you've changed your avatar you've changed Ivy. You used to be cool maaaaaaaaaaaaan.

That squirrel yoke?

Itchy is hilarious! Pick a cool avatar for me :P

That squirrel yoke?

Itchy is hilarious! Pick a cool avatar for me :P

I'm Batman therefore you should be Robin ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

homer-doh-square.jpg

The penalty should be a banning from the soccer forum for 3 weeks imo :P.

It's scandalous to think that he was only 21 in that picture. He was a beast of a man. I don't know many 21 year olds that are that size and we have all the best protein shakes and weight routines these days. Such a pity that he was taken so early.

I'm Batman therefore you should be Robin ;)

Done :D

Let's solve crimes now :pac:

Done :D

Let's solve crimes now :pac:

Make sure you have your shark repellent equipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

4 years ago today this match took place.

Does it get old? By God it does not.

article-0-015658B900000578-889_468x291_popup.jpg

article-1391200-02179DA600000578-349_634x309.jpg

manutdcl1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Those advocating Torres to United must have been watching a different league for the past 24 months+.
    The guy is not the same player he was at Liverpool in his prime - he has lost that edge of pace he once had and United would be better in developing one of the younger players they have such as welbeck.
    Chelsea ended up paying top dollar for a player who, in my opinion, was in decline and Liverpool did very well out of that deal.

I think someone questioned how could abromovich pay 200K a week for a player, more so under the framework of the Financial Fair Play rules as opposed to actually having the money to pay it which is a fair question. There is no doubt one or two high earners would need to be offloaded at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kippy wrote: »
    Those advocating Torres to United must have been watching a different league for the past 24 months+.
    The guy is not the same player he was at Liverpool in his prime - he has lost that edge of pace he once had and United would be better in developing one of the younger players they have such as welbeck.
    Chelsea ended up paying top dollar for a player who, in my opinion, was in decline and Liverpool did very well out of that deal.

I think someone questioned how could abromovich pay 200K a week for a player, more so under the framework of the Financial Fair Play rules as opposed to actually having the money to pay it which is a fair question. There is no doubt one or two high earners would need to be offloaded at the very least.
    Neither Chelsea nor City care about the FFP rules - they (and others) are going to destroy Uefa in the courts if it comes to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Your right, how many really really good games has he had in the last two seasons? The only one that springs to mind is the game for Pool against Chelsea. Singing him would be detrimental to the development of the young strikers we have one the squad and coming through. With Will Keane, we don't need another striker unless Macheda leaves and even then, it is only for disaster scenarios

If Falcao leaves, he'll be back to Athletico imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Neither Chelsea nor City care about the FFP rules - they (and others) are going to destroy Uefa in the courts if it comes to it.

I hope they don't and that the FFP rules are enforced rigidly to be honest.

kippy wrote: »
    I hope they don't and that the FFP rules are enforced rigidly to be honest.

I hope so too, it is the only chance United have without the debt being wiped (IPO hope) but I just don't see Uefa being able to actually stop billionaires spending whatever they want to spend.

This summer will be a big indicator. If Chelsea and City spend big, FFP is dead before it properly started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I hope so too, it is the only chance United have without the debt being wiped (IPO hope) but I just don't see Uefa being able to actually stop billionaires spending whatever they want to spend.

This summer will be a big indicator. If Chelsea and City spend big, FFP is dead before it properly started.

Not really, the biggest indicator will be the first season the FFP starts. City and Chelsea may ignore FFP, but if Platini is hell bent on proving FFP is not a failure and impose some kind of punishment then it wont be a failure.

Lets give them a chance before writting it off just because some clubs are still spending.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Not really, the biggest indicator will be the first season the FFP starts. City and Chelsea may ignore FFP, but if Platini is hell bent on proving FFP is not a failure and impose some kind of punishment then it wont be a failure.

Lets give them a chance before writting it off just because some clubs are still spending.

Last summer and this summer form part of the accounts that will be used.

If City and Chelsea spend big, they're going to hammer their ability to meet the FFP rules, so this summer is certainly a big indicator.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

City and Chelsea will laugh in the face of fair play.

After last nights Hazard debacle, which I got completely sucked into against my best judgement, I'm done with the fun and games of the transfer market *

*after checking SSN just once more incase Hazard changed his mind.

If City and Chelsea spend big, they're going to hammer their ability to meet the FFP rules, so this summer is certainly a big indicator.

Yeah if City and Chelsea spend big without offloading then they will hammer their ability to meet FFP rules, but even if they do we can't say FFP is a failure as we haven't seen what UEFA will do which they wont until 2014-15. We are seeing actions from one end and we have to wait to see how UEFA reacts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The question is... will the sugardaddy teams flout the laws and then just take the fines that UEFA hand out?

I mean if you are getting fined say 10 million because you've flouted the laws yet you win the league, champs league.. the owners will think its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I don't think the punishment for mega rich multi billionaires will be fines :)
    I don't think they could fine them by law anyway.
    Denying them access to European competition seems more likely and would probably stand up in court more,in a sort of "their competition,their rules" way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Dortmund want €20 million for Kagawa . Would people be happy with that ?

Yep, in reality. Less than city paid for Nasri or we paid for Young going into the last year of their contracts.

based on the initial reported figures, I would hope a compromise be reached at 15million.

Big issue is that if United have identified him as a primary target and a player we need, I would hate to see us much out due to penny pinching unless were planning on getting him and Hazard and thus could only budget 10million for him, for eg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Definitely. 12 months ago €20 million was probably closer to £18 million than the £16 million he would cost now.

I really hope Hazard isnt a distraction and holding up the potential transfer of Kagawa.

Kagawa is part of the plan I have mapped out for United becoming debt free - so hope it gets sorted quickly!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I can bear losing Hazard but I will be seriously upset if we lose Kagawa as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

TBH I don't like the look of Hazard. Really don't want another ego in the United team that I'll never hear the end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I can bear losing Hazard but I will be seriously upset if we lose Kagawa as well...

the longer the hazard deal drags on the less likely we are to sign kagawa...i hope we really dont f*ck that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

City have already said they dont need to spend big, as the have done the first part and have a nucleaus of players to build around. They, like Chelsea expect maybe 2 in, 2 out (Dzeko for example)

Chelsea have said that they also dont expect big changes and we certainly cant\wont match City wages. We are actually trying to reign spending in and increase revenue (Hence the stadium move) and a few of the big earners will leave, I expect a striker and a winger\midfielder to come in.
    You see by the Marin transfer, we have a different strategy now.
    If it wasnt for the Torres transfer, we would be doing a lot better, but we are able to demonstrate a downward trend.

Any new money club would go on an initial splurge and then after that "top up" like Utd are doing with 2 or 3 players a season

Arsenal are quite big spendings re wages, outspending Bayern in that respect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

the longer the hazard deal drags on the less likely we are to sign kagawa...i hope we really dont f*ck that up.

That Kagawa deal stinks of the Senna/Hargreaves F**k up from summer 2006, when we ended up getting neither of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

They've already shown they do tbh, but how much they care will be the question.

City signing Owen Hargreaves and David Pizarro last season was said to be a result of FFP, as was their failure to sign a much needed centre half in January. If they really didn't care about FFP they probably would have threw mega bucks at De Rossi and Thiago Silva, both of whom Mancini was reported to have wanted but wasn't allowed get because of FFP.

I don't think Chelsea have been that bad overall in the market over the last few years. The Torres transfer obviously makes things look bad but other than that I think they've calmed down and spent reasonable sums on players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sky Sports just said Hazard wants to join Man Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

MD1990 wrote: »

just saw that too, can one hope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Sky Sports is as bad as the rags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Where did they say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

just saw that too, can one hope?

Lille were saying there was some mystery 4th club interested in him and that they think he just doesnt know who he wants!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/7768704/Four-in-for-Hazard

• Advertisement

Like Homer(?) said, Kagawa for 15 Million and spend 30 Million on CM. That will do much better for us than signing Hazard for big fee and wages.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

**********lalalalalalalalalalala not listening lalalalalala************

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Lille were saying there was some mystery 4th club interested in him and that they think he just doesnt know who he wants!

Arsenal maybe? Wouldn't have thought he was in their price range though. Realistically the top 3 + Chelsea are all he'd consider I'd presume?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Kagawa is on international duty so that explains that delay.

re FFP - I think its part of the licensing and UEFA have stopped teams competing in thier competitions if they don't pass licensing.

the problem with FFP is it can be got around, the likes of Ethiad buying stadium right, sponsering shirts, when they are owned by mansours half brother.

abramovich could just have his brother/son/butler sponser Chelsea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I don't think so, well at least there are meant to be rules to prevent that sort of stuff!

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Kagawa is on international duty so that explains that delay.

re FFP - I think its part of the licensing and UEFA have stopped teams competing in thier competitions if they don't pass licensing.

the problem with FFP is it can be got around, the likes of Ethiad buying stadium right, sponsering shirts, when they are owned by mansours half brother.

abramovich could just have his brother/son/butler sponser Chelsea!

There are rules placed for sponsorships also. If the sponsors are related to owner then it has to pass fair market value something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

FutureGuy wrote: »
    **********lalalalalalalalalalala not listening lalalalalala************

495491-boy-with-fingers-inb-ears.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I don't think Chelsea are in the running for Hazard at all. It's between us and City. Chelsea are being brought into this by the press and Hazard isn't the kind to shy away from whoring himself out. So when questions are asked he isn't going to rule anybody out.

I would say that if anybody else is involved its Arsenal. But they won't come up with the wages to compete.

At the end of it all he will end up at City. The sooner this deal is done the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Chelsea makes the most sense though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement