Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Only because Valencia has had a better run with regard to injuries. Nani's season since January has been stop start, stop start. He hasn't had a chance to string a few games together. When he has he has been world class. He is not the type of player to sit on a bench for 2 months and then play well straight away. He needs a few games to get started, and when he does there are very few that are better than him.

Agreed. If Nani gets on a run of games he can turn into something very special. I think there is a world class player in Nani, he just needs to flip that awesome switch soon. Valencia is operating near his peak and its a high standard he sets and the only complaint I have is that adding more goals to his game is the only area I can see him being capable of improving.

We are blessed in that area when you think about it, if we sort out the CM and keep the squad young we will be a force to be reckoned with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He is not the type of player to sit on a bench for 2 months and then play well straight away.

And in fact he is little different than Valencia in that regard. It is easy to forget how poor Valencia was before christmas, and before he found his form again following injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Nani >>> Valencia
    i'm a liverpool fan
    id love a player like him at Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think there is a world class player in Nani, he just needs to flip that awesome switch soon. Valencia is operating near his peak and its a high standard he sets...
    Nani has been mostly awesome for two and a half seasons. He doesn't need to flip a switch any more than Valencia does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

it obviously boils down to personal opinion, not surprisingly amongst most united fans here there is more vouching for nani than valencia. imo its because he's simply an entertainer and has the ability like said to do something amazing but lets be honest , it doesnt happen very often or at least no where near as much as a top 10 winger in world football should as considered by some here.

in all footballs a team game and valencia is clearly way more of a team player than nani, valencia is so positive to have in the team, so direct you just know what your going to get out of him. Ask rooney who he'd rather on that right hand side, i say nani is a nightmare to play with as a striker.

nani and wazza remind me of how ruud use to get frustrated with ronaldo when he first came, imigine going from someone as direct as becks to a young CR7 :D. In ways its similar i imagine when fergie rotates valencia and nani on the right hand side, we have all seen rooney wanting to tear nani's head off, iv lost count on how many times iv seen rooney snap on him because of tbh just ridiculous selfish play/decisions by nani.

In all nani, good player alright, there's obviously some big nani fans here, honestly wouldnt be surprised if some here think he's still going to be the next ronaldo if he stays fit.:rolleyes: but for me valencia anyday for the reasons i already gave.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Nani has been mostly awesome for two and a half seasons. He doesn't need to flip a switch any more than Valencia does.

Not for what he is doing now, yes he is exciting and awesome but what I'm talking about is the kind of form to take him into the world class top tier of players, which I think he could do. Bale flipped the awsome switch a couple of seasons ago around the whole Inter Milan CL time. He reverted a little since and its similar to the Nani situation. If he could do this constantly he would go from amazing to unplayable.

Improving his decision making and further enhancing those great technical skills he has could see him flourish, stuff like the flick between the two defenders he did away to Arsenal a couple of seasons ago to get the first goal. He already has the speed and physical conditioning down (he is seriously ripped) and the kind of commitment to work hard on those areas shows real desire.

People say he will never be like Ronaldo, I think he has it in him to get close.

it obviously boils down to personal opinion, not surprisingly amongst most united fans here there is more vouching for nani than valencia. imo its because he's simply an entertainer and has the ability like said to do something amazing but lets be honest , it doesnt happen very often or at least no where near as much as a top 10 winger in world football should as considered by some here.

in all footballs a team game and valencia is clearly way more of a team player than nani, valencia is so positive to have in the team, so direct you just know what your going to get out of him. Ask rooney who he'd rather on that right hand side, i say nani is a nightmare to play with as a striker.

nani and wazza remind me of how ruud use to get frustrated with ronaldo when he first came, imigine going from someone as direct as becks to a young CR7 :D. In ways its similar i imagine when fergie rotates valencia and nani on the right hand side, we have all seen rooney wanting to tear nani's head off, iv lost count on how many times iv seen rooney snap on him because of tbh just ridiculous selfish play/decisions by nani.

In all nani, good player alright, there's obviously some big nani fans here, honestly wouldnt be surprised if some here think he's still going to be the next ronaldo if he stays fit.:rolleyes: but for me valencia anyday for the reasons i already gave.
    Can you name the 10 wingers in world football that are better than Nani as wingers? And by wingers I mean lads who get crosses and shots in. I wouldn't include Ronaldo or Messi, because they constantly come more central if they are not just starting there which they do mostly nowadays. And I wouldn't include Mata, Silva or Pedro because they pass and link up, but far less often beat a man and whip in a cross. In terms of wingers like Nani and Valencia who's main role is to beat a man and whip in crosses or score goals, I think you would have a hard time naming 10 better than Nani.

Nani's consistency in assisting and scoring is every bit as good as Valencia's if not better. If Nani doesn't do it nearly enough then there is no way that Valencia does. For every time Nani fails to cross it because of doing a trick that doesn't work Valencia fails to cross it because he has driven it straight into an opposition player.

People say he will never be like Ronaldo, I think he has it in him to get close

stop now please, this thread is biased enough as it is.

to suggest nani can get close to ronaldo , is suggesting he can get close to messi who ronaldo isnt far off from.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

lol - Rooney giving out to Nani for being wasteful. Ya i'd say Nani is a nightmare to play with all right. 8 goals, 10 assists last season. More the season before and voted Players Player of the year.
    oh hang on, almost forgot to make it understandable for you :rolleyes: -

Not for what he is doing now, yes he is exciting and awesome but what I'm talking about is the kind of form to take him into the world class top tier of players, which I think he could do. Bale flipped the awsome switch a couple of seasons ago around the whole Inter Milan CL time. He reverted a little since and its similar to the Nani situation. If he could do this constantly he would go from amazing to unplayable.

Improving his decision making and further enhancing those great technical skills he has could see him flourish, stuff like the flick between the two defenders he did away to Arsenal a couple of seasons ago to get the first goal. He already has the speed and physical conditioning down (he is seriously ripped) and the kind of commitment to work hard on those areas shows real desire.

People say he will never be like Ronaldo, I think he has it in him to get close.

Bale??? Seriously? 2 games in Europe where no one tracked him does not a summer make.

All Nani needs is to be consistently played - preferably on the right.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    Bale??? Seriously? 2 games in Europe where no one tracked him does not a summer make.

All Nani needs is to be consistently played - preferably on the right.

He's done more than two games in all fariness.

lol - Rooney giving out to Nani for being wasteful. Ya i'd say Nani is a nightmare to play with all right. 8 goals, 10 assists last season. More the season before and voted Players Player of the year.
    oh hang on, almost forgot to make it understandable for you :rolleyes: -

i said it once il say it again, 1 good season ;). how long has he been here?

1 good season?

I honestly have no idea how you think you're a fan, seen as you watch the team play so little. There's no other explanation for how wrong you get things.

If you are saying that Nani these days is generally operating at least at the same level as Valencia then I agree with you. The lack of consistency in being absolutely amazing is normal for wingers. Even the best wingers in the world generally only pull out the matches where they rape everybody in sight once in a while. The rest of the time just go about running their line and getting in crosses and generally being very good. Just like Nani.

I wouldn't say he will ever get like Ronaldo.

1 good season?

I honestly have no idea how you think you're a fan, seen as you watch the team play do little. There's no other explanation for how wrong you get things.

Well he could have a Swiss cheese memory.

Well he could have a Swiss cheese memory.

Take that back, what has swiss cheese ever done to be labelled with such a slur?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Skill wise, there isn't that much of a difference between Ronaldo and Nani. Where the two differ is that Ronaldo has an incredible ability to find space and predict where the ball is going to end up, and thus scores an extraordinary amount of goals.

If you compare their passing, shooting, crossing, dribbling, first touch, physical attributes etc. there isn't much in it.

Will Nani end up like Ronaldo? No, very few players have top class winger attributes combined with a world class strikers instincts. It is utterly unique.

1 good season?

I honestly have no idea how you think you're a fan, seen as you watch the team play do little. There's no other explanation for how wrong you get things.

ofcourse im a fan maybe not as biased and totally alienated from the actual footballing world as most here but a very big fan all the same. This thread reminds me of the paddy crerand show , you'd slot right in on mutv so so unbelievably out of touch with anything outside the club.

1 very good season is all he's had dont fool yourself, he's been average bar last season. are you trying to suggest nani is a consistent performer since he came?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Take a look at Bale's goals again. They were all basically the same. For two of them he just ran as fast as he could and hit it across the keeper. For the third he was played in and then he just hit it across the keeper again. They were good goals and the pace he ran at was astonishing but the keeper really should have done more to try and save the shots. To be beaten by the exact same shot three times in a row is nothing short of criminal.

Bale is similar to Valencia, if he starts from a deep position he will destroy every defender in the world for pace. Both are ridiculously fast. Bale is limited in the flairy skill category. The type of skill that can get you out of trouble and into a good position. Valencia is better than him, and Nani is better than Valencia.

Bale may have flipped that switch somewhat, and it was a devastating performance, but he has never hit those heights again in my opinion. He doesn't have the skill to play up nearer the goal I feel. If he started off another 10 or 15 yards back from where he is and had a run at every defender then he'd be almost unstoppable.

This is another reason why I wouldn't really like Bale at United. If he goes to Barca and is played as an attacking left back (just like Alves on the other side) then he could be utterly devastating. United and Spurs don't have enough of the ball to allow the full backs to basically forget all about their defensive duties.

• Advertisement

If you are saying that Nani these days is generally operating at least at the same level as Valencia then I agree with you. The lack of consistency in being absolutely amazing is normal for wingers. Even the best wingers in the world generally only pull out the matches where they rape everybody in sight once in a while. The rest of the time just go about running their line and getting in crosses and generally being very good. Just like Nani.

I wouldn't say he will ever get like Ronaldo.

Pretty much and its a high level, only through lack of game time has Tony got the edge here. I'm not sure how much further Valencia can progress his game, what we are seeing now is pretty much it but Nani has lots more to come. He can do amazing stuff that I don't think many players are capable of.

ofcourse im a fan maybe not as biased and totally alienated from the actual footballing world as most here but a very big fan all the same. This thread reminds me of the paddy crerand show , you'd slot right in on mutv so so unbelievably out of touch with anything outside the club.

1 very good season is all he's had dont fool yourself, he's been average bar last season. are you trying to suggest nani is a consistent performer since he came?

This is how it's gone with Nani.

2007-2008: Inconsistent but showed great promise.

2008-2009: Remained inconsistent and failed to kick on as expected.

First half of 2009-2010: Same story, inconsistent with not much sign of improvement.

Second half of 2009-2010: Something changes. Puts in a great performance at the Emirates (remember that incredible piece of skill that took out 2 players on the right wing?) and iirc assisted all 4 of Rooney's goals against Hull. Put in a string of much improved performances.

2010-2011: Most assists in the PL and without doubt one of our best players.

2011-2012: Once again one of our best players and remains consistent with his assist/goal stats per game. Would have been much better if the season had not been disrupted because of injury.

That is not just one decent season, he has ranged between very good and awesome for two and a half seasons now.

Pretty much and its a high level, only through lack of game time has Tony got the edge here. I'm not sure how much further Valencia can progress his game, what we are seeing now is pretty much it but Nani has lots more to come. He can do amazing stuff that I don't think many players are capable of.

I think Valencia has peaked really. The only thing he can add to his game is goals. He's never going to have a left foot. If he did he'd be one of THE best in the world.

He needs to be a bit greedier in front of goal. He said a few months ago that he prefers to set up a goal then score one. Seems like the complete polar opposite of every other player to have ever played the game :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I think Valencia has peaked really. The only thing he can add to his game is goals. He's never going to have a left foot. If he did he'd be one of THE best in the world.

He needs to be a bit greedier in front of goal. He said a few months ago that he prefers to set up a goal then score one. Seems like the complete polar opposite of every other player to have ever played the game :P.

Just doesn't seem like he's able to shoot though. Can't even imagine him placing a shot into the corner, would look weird.

Blatter wrote: »
    This is how it's gone with Nani.

First half of 2009-2010: Same story, inconsistent with not much sign of improvement.

Second half of 2009-2010: Something changes. Puts in a great performance at the Emirates (remember that incredible piece of skill that took out 2 players on the right wing? and iirc assisted all 4 of Rooney's goals against Hull. Put in a string of much improved performances.

2011-2012: Once again one of our best players and remains consistent with his assist/goal stats per game. Would have been much better if the season had not been disrupted because of injury.

That is not just one decent season, he has ranged between very good and awesome for two and a half seasons now.

I was at the Hull game and he was superb. We were about 10 yards from him for the second half. Every cross he put in was pin-point. He was immense that day.

nani%20ronaldo%20chop%20against%20arsenal.gif

Samich wrote: »
    Just doesn't seem like he's able to shoot though. Can't even imagine him placing a shot into the corner, would look weird.

Simple reason for that is that he's a right footer playing on the right. If he was playing on the left it'd tempt him to cut in a lot more and try a shot or two. I'd like to see him out there over the pre-season possibly. Just to see how he gets on.

• Advertisement

Another thing about Nani is that his finishing is immense. I can't recall the last time he missed a clear cut chance for us, he's as composed and as clinical as fúck.

If he was played regularly and given more licence to gamble in a 4-3-3 I could see him hitting 15-20 goals a season.

Another thing about Nani is that his finishing is immense. I can't recall the last time he missed a clear cut chance for us, he's as composed and as clinical as fúck.

If he was played regularly and given more licence to gamble in a 4-3-3 I could see him hitting 15-20 goals a season.

Easily. He's a fantastic finisher. Not in Ronaldo's class but he's not far off it. The goal he scored in the Community Shield was a prime example. The last two replays show you just how tight the angle was and he managed to clip it in there to absolute perfection.

true

true

3 years at this stage. how much did he cost again ? :rolleyes:
    Second half of 2009-2010: Something changes. Puts in a great performance at the Emirates (remember that incredible piece of skill that took out 2 players on the right wing?) and iirc assisted all 4 of Rooney's goals against Hull. Put in a string of much improved performances.

2nd half of the season only though... not enough imo to warrant a great season as a whole based on a few performances.
    great season as i said, not disputing this.

basically failed to kick on if we are going tbh because of the injuries, minor impact if any.

that is just indeed 1 great season, as having a good season is judged on actually having a good season and not just a few months i.e the 2nd or 1st half.

I don't think it's much coincidence that Nani has revelled in the period since Ronaldo's departure from United. He hadn't a chance really of getting in that team ahead of Ronaldo. Especially not in his first season there, when Ronaldo scored 42 goals.

Since then Giggs has moved in field and Tevez has gone meaning Rooney stays up top more. Nani is needed more and he delivered in his first season post-Ronaldo.

2nd half of the season only though... not enough imo to warrant a great season as a whole based on a few performances.

It wasn't a few performances. It was nearly every game from the end of January on. He was consistently excellent.
    basically failed to kick on if we are going tbh because of the injuries, minor impact if any.

Nonsense. Nani had 40 appearances, 10 goals and 12 assists - so that's 22 goals he was involved in. Valencia had 37 appearances, 6 goals and 14 assists - so that's 20 goals he was involved in. Are you saying that Valencia had a minor impact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

honigstein: Tuesday's Süddeutsche Zeitung: Dortmund have rejected offers from Bayern and ManUtd for Robert Lewandowski

This season in the PL Nani has played 2110 mins and has 8 goals & 10 assists. That is a goal/assist every 117 mins.

The season before (which you admit was a great season for him) he played 2668 mins and had 9 goals & 14 assists. That is a goal/assist every 116 mins.

Now I know stats aren't everything but they are usual an excellent indicator as to how a winger is performing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

This season in the PL Nani has played 2110 mins and has 8 goals & 10 assists. That is a goal/assist every 117 mins.

The season before (which you admit was a great season for him) he played 2668 mins and had 9 goals & 14 assists. That is a goal/assist every 116 mins.

Now I know stats aren't everything but they are usual an excellent indicator as to how a winger is performing.

Ah Blatter he's gone down a whole 60 seconds. He is a shadow of his former self. Off with him I say. Sell him for 10 million and try and scrape the funds together and buy Bale for 40 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

It's impossible not to like Nani imo.

Rio: "Naan bread, happy?"
    Nani: "Me? Very happy. Go home, see my dog. Woof, woof, woof, woof."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

That comments section is just faceplam worthy. Horrible posts and banter(If it is one).

Re the story, I think we will have to wait till it is confirmed by other sources. Manchester Evening news just copy from other sources and print all the rumors related to Manchester teams.

Re Nani vs Valencia, I would love to watch Nani any day. Valencia was superb in the second half of the season and if not for him we would have dropped few points for sure, but so was Nani in the first half and last season.

Valencia is bit more consistent than Nani though, just a bit and I dont buy "Nani is inconsistent" **** as he is not. When he gets a run in he usually does well in most of the games.

If team defends deep and full back allows him to cut inside, Valencia struggles to have the same impact but I haven't seen a way to contain Nani. Left wing or right wing, he can cut in and shoot/pass or take it to the byline and whip in a cross. What I love most about Nani's play is his quick feet and he drift centrally and to the other wing. This season when he started as left winger and Valencia as right winger, Nani moved centrally and also to the right side to get involved in the build up play. His finishing is very good and he can come up with moments of magic out of nowhere. His shooting from distance is also top class. With him players swap positions as he is comfortable playing anywhere in the attacking 3 and his link up with Welbeck in the first few games.

Nani's performance against Chelsea was just superb and probably one of the best performance this season at OT. He really doesn't get the credit he deserves, best example was last season when Bale won PFA player of the year and Nani was not even in contention.

Anyways its a great we have both the players and Young. Rather with us than against us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I love how mufc child 99 disregards Nani's good half season but acts like Valo's this season was the greatest thing ever.

Also, Nani in his first season was only behind Rooney on assists and got a couple of important goals if I remember correctly, this in a team with Ronaldo and Tevez don't forget. With the arrival of Berba the next season gametime was at a premium and he was coming in for a game every 3 odd weeks max so lacked sharpness. Still put in some amazing performances, one against Arsenal in the cup that season is still his most memorable performance to me. He had the attributes just the ADD fans didn't see it because he lost the ball a few times and he wasn't Ronaldo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Liam O wrote: »
    I love how mufc child 99 disregards Nani's good half season but acya like Valo's this season was the greatest thing ever.

Also, Nani in his first season was only behind Rooney on assists and got a couple of important goals if I remember correctly, this in a team with Ronaldo and Tevez don't forget. With the arrival of Berba the next season gametime was at a premium and he was coming in for a game every 3 odd weeks max so lacked sharpness. Still put in some amazing performances, one against Arsenal in the cup that season is still his most memorable performance to me. He had the attributes just the ADD fans didn't see it because he lost the ball a few times and he wasn't Ronaldo...

I seem to remember his seal dribbling in that game...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

G.K. wrote: »
    I seem to remember his seal dribbling in that game...?

I think this is it, the uploader got the season wrong, and there's horrible music so be warned :D. There's a reason they were so angry when he started seal dribbling, he was destroying them the whole game, such a sublime 2 assists and goal. The seal dribble wasn't even anything malicious, Gallas just couldn't get near him, amazing piece of skill and anyone else and Gallas probably would have been sent off, acted like a scumbag to Nani for the rest of that game. People tend to forget the horrible treatment players like Nani and Ronaldo get when they go mad at them for going down easy once in a while...

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    one against Arsenal in the cup that season is still his most memorable performance to me...

It was Nani and Anderson show, one of our best performance that season by the team. I remember how I was like "WTF is Fergie doing by starting Fletcher against Arsenal" and then he scored 2 goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Hazard is now evens to join United .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was hoping betfair did this market as I be minted at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

1 good season?

I honestly have no idea how you think you're a fan, seen as you watch the team play so little. There's no other explanation for how wrong you get things.

This times a million. I have never disagreed with someone's opinions about United as much as this MUFC guy and I have some very biased non Utd friends.

I don't know what he does be watching but it can't be the same matches I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/05/22/transfer-talk-and-gossip-hazard_n_1535067.html?ref=uk

I'm not sure if we are going to fork over 40 Million and then pay 10 million a year in wages to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

s.welstead wrote: »
    This times a million. I have never disagreed with someone's opinions about United as much as this MUFC guy and I have some very biased non Utd friends.

I don't know what he does be watching but it can't be the same matches I do.

lads its fairy obvious hes not a Unitedfan but a WUM, ignore is your friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

lads its fairy obvious hes not a Unitedfan but a WUM, ignore is your friend

Yep for my sanity I think I will!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

What I love about Nani is he is a top class footballer. He has amazing skills, great touches, strength, pace, desire, quality finisher, brilliant long range shots and he can do it all with either foot. He isn't just a winger, he can take a central position and still be a danger.

Some players get criticised for only making an impact in less important games or after a game is won. Nani does it in big games and when the score line is tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Both Nani and Toni are both top class, does it really matter who's the better?
    Their stats both speak volumes and having both of them in the team at the top of their game is a god send.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

What's the story with Pogba?

Is he still leaving? According to the interwebs he's gone to Juventus already. Just waiting to sign the deal on July 1st.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement