Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

where you see this?

ive seen a few rumblings, but nothing much to tell me it is likely, yet!

how much would he cost and what type of a player is he? is he likely to be starting 11 for them in the euros?

Lots of reports, wouldn't usually pay much attention, but, Red Issue are quite certain that there is some truth to the reports, and they are often semi-reliable.

They say any deal depends on Strootman changing to one of Fergie's preferred agents. De Gea did this last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

PSV bought him and another player from Utrecht for €13million last summer. Don't know what the figures were for each player but you would think it was half and half.

He has been linked to Inter Milan in the past, and rated around £15 million.

Don't have a clue if he's a starter for the Dutch national side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

He could well start for the dutch, but BVM seems very undecided between some combination of him, de Jong, Van Bommel and van der Vaart for the CM 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

James Ducker ‏@DuckerTheTimes
    United have released figures saying they have 659m of the globe's estimated 1.6 billion football "followers", up from 333m in 2007

The United figures are based on research by Kantar from 54,000 respondents in 39 countries between June and Aug 2011 #MUFC

Impressive if true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

United are the Catholic church of the footballing world, without the pedophilia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

Blatter wrote: »
    Research by Kantar

Very reliable source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Blatter wrote: »
    United have released figures saying they have 659m of the globe's estimated 1.6 billion football "followers", up from 333m in 2007

The United figures are based on research by Kantar from 54,000 respondents in 39 countries between June and Aug 2011 #MUFC

Impressive if true.
    What does this actually mean?
    No point having that many fans if you can't milk them for every penny they are worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭enviro

kippy wrote: »
    No point having that many fans if you can't milk them for every penny they are worth.

Their fan base is a big part of negotiations with sponsors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

United are the Catholic church of the footballing world, without the pedophilia.

And like the Church and there issues with signing up new priests, we're struggling to recruit new players...

only1stevo wrote: »
    And like the Church and there issues with signing up new priests, we're struggling to recruit new players...

That's a terrible analogy......

enviro wrote: »
    Their fan base is a big part of negotiations with sponsors.

Indeed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

That's a terrible analogy......

Bill...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm sure the club make plenty of money from it but Malcolm and lads probably use the majority of it on interest repayments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

For a closer to home example see Cork City and Shane Long/Kevin Doyle.

Do they get a cut of the transfer deals at all? I know Crumlin United got compensation from Spurs for Keane but I think their claim was that they had had him from a very early age. It's only right really considering the amount of money that he has accumulated in fees over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

First post since Hazard signed. Fergie would never allow a player to announce a signing on twitter. Should have guessed :P

We'll be signing Kagawa I'm sure now as it shows we're in for a playmaker sort.

Don't know why he chose Chelsea. 25 points off the League leaders. Seems he wants to just play football in the no.10 role than actually win trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Samich wrote: »
    First post since Hazard signed. Fergie would never allow a player to announce a signing on twitter. Should have guessed :P

We'll be signing Kagawa I'm sure now as it shows we're in for a playmaker sort.

Don't know why he chose Chelsea. 25 points off the League leaders. Seems he wants to just play football in the no.10 role than actually win trophies.

I wonder will Mata have to give the little drama queen the no.10 shirt?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Its a bit cocky to writing off Chelsea's chances of winning trophies.

they won two last season. That big gap in the league had a good bit to do with the fact United were out of the champions league early and could focus on the domestic games. Chelsea were behind United early so the motivation to pick up a significant points tally is not the same.

Regardless, United need to keep improving regardless of what others need to do. Better to focus on that than write off other clubs (particularly successful ones) in May!

Nani?

Without being disrespectful thought the only other team in for him was spurs so maybe it was not a transfer battle as such. They did bid his release clause though (£14M) which meant two teams were in for him.

It’s a good point though, United rarely 'win' transfer battles, other than against other English teams and even then the last couple of seasons that’s not become a foregone conclusion.

Doesn't this show that a player doesn't want to play for the club. If a player would prefer to go to another club but we offered him enough money to come here he wouldn't put his all in, if ya get me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Didn't want him anyway :mad:

2 CMs now Fergie please.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Its a bit cocky to writing off Chelsea's chances of winning trophies.

they won two last season. That big gap in the league had a good bit to do with the fact United were out of the champions league early and could focus on the domestic games. Chelsea were behind United early so the motivation to pick up a significant points tally is not the same.

Regardless, United need to keep improving regardless of what others need to do. Better to focus on that than write off other clubs (particularly successful ones) in May!

Sure if Utd finished 25 points behind the leaders of the league I'm sure we'd have a great chance of winning all the cups.

Also Chelsea had to have been the luckiest team ever to win those 2 cups. Andy Carroll had a goal that wasn't given, maybe it wasn't in, who knows.

City will finish above Chelsea for the considerable future I reckon.

Also Chelseas weaknesses are at the back I think, Terry is only going to get worse. Cahill isn't THAT good, Cole is great but pushing on too, and Ivanovic is an alright player.

The only thing I'd say is Cech could well be entering his prime, he was sensational in the matches I've seen him play last season.

Lampard shouldn't be playing most matches for them next season I think anyways. So they'll need a new CM. They have Mata, Hazard, Ramires, Marin, Meireles to all fit in. I think Marin will not be used much now as I don't think Chelsea had even thought of signing Hazard until recently.

Also I think Utd are doing well bringing through lots of young English players, like Jones, Smalling, Cleverley, Welbeck and possibly Nick Powell. What other top club is bringing through top young English talent, and when I say bring through, I mean signing too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Samich wrote: »
    Sure if Utd finished 25 points behind the leaders of the league I'm sure we'd have a great chance of winning all the cups.

Also Chelsea had to have been the luckiest team ever to win those 2 cups. Andy Carroll had a goal that wasn't given, maybe it wasn't in, who knows.

City will finish above Chelsea for the considerable future I reckon.

Also Chelseas weaknesses are at the back I think, Terry is only going to get worse. Cahill isn't THAT good, Cole is great but pushing on too, and Ivanovic is an alright player.

The only thing I'd say is Cech could well be entering his prime, he was sensational in the matches I've seen him play last season.

Lampard shouldn't be playing most matches for them next season I think anyways. So they'll need a new CM. They have Mata, Hazard, Ramires, Marin, Meireles to all fit in. I think Marin will not be used much now as I don't think Chelsea had even thought of signing Hazard until recently.

Also I think Utd are doing well bringing through lots of young English players, like Jones, Smalling, Cleverley, Welbeck and possibly Nick Powell. What other top club is bringing through top young English talent, and when I say bring through, I mean signing too ;)

Everybody knows. It wasn't a goal.

"Lucky" is a bit of a stretch. Barcelona and Bayern Munich could not score enough goals against them, sure they both had chances to do it, but they absolutely bottled it. Chelsea held their nerve. Something we failed to do against Everton, which cost us our only chance at a trophy this year. If it was United who won the Champions League in the way Chelsea did there would be more kissing of Fergie's arse, only thing is there is absolutely no way we could of won it the way they did because don't have anywhere near that mental resolve, it's depressing. Talking down Chelsea's chances next year is bizzare and belittling their Champions League and FA Cup wins comes across as bitter.

Chelsea supposedly gave his agent £6 million, I'm not surprised we didnt sign him.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Everybody knows. It wasn't a goal.

"Lucky" is a bit of a stretch. Barcelona and Bayern Munich could not score enough goals against them, sure they both had chances to do it, but they absolutely bottled it. Chelsea held their nerve. Something we failed to do against Everton, which cost us our only chance at a trophy this year. If it was United who won the Champions League in the way Chelsea did there would be more kissing of Fergie's arse, only thing is there is absolutely no way we could of won it the way they did because don't have anywhere near that mental resolve, it's depressing. Talking down Chelsea's chances next year is bizzare and belittling their Champions League and FA Cup wins comes across as bitter.

Well if Utd won the Champs league like Chelsea did we'd all be saying we were extremely lucky.

Chelsea apparantly want to sign Hulk too.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

If only we had gotten Ribery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Since I've never actually seen him play, I can't be massively disappointed. However, I'm keen for us to sign a new midfielder desperately.

If we do sign Kagawa, I'm hopeful we'll sign a defensively minded midfielder, someone with a bit of steel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

PHB wrote: »
    If we do sign Kagawa, I'm hopeful we'll sign a defensively minded midfielder, someone with a bit of steel.

arrgh,we dont need defensive, we need ball retention and creativity. jesus, why do people keep saying this!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

xtal191 wrote: »
    Chelsea supposedly gave his agent £6 million, I'm not surprised we didnt sign him.

why ye gave bebe's agent a similar amount for someone who is useless would have been far better off greasing Hazards agents hand tbh

• Advertisement

Defensive can cover all kinds of things - from a Busquets to a M'Vila. And it's the former's style you need to be gunning for.

G.K. wrote: »
    Defensive can cover all kinds of things - from a Busquets to a M'Vila. And it's the former's style you need to be gunning for.

busquets is gifted and has 2 of the best ball players of all time around him. if carrick has a similar outlet to give the ball to, then he can do that job no problem.

Not quite following what you are saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

arrgh,we dont need defensive, we need ball retention and creativity. jesus, why do people keep saying this!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    I agree with you, but the problem is who do you get, that is going to come in and improve the midfield, but actually wants to come to us and wont break the bank.

Personally I don't think Modric is the player to do that, I think he has had an average enough season. I would like to see someone like Nuri Sahin, he is a little more defensive minded, but he can play ball and might be available. He hasnt had the best of times at Madrid and might come to us.

Busquets would be the perfect signing, quality player. Not that we have a hope of getting him or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Regarding the worldwide followers i was just playing fifa when this happened

Martin Tyler : Wherever you go in the whole world whether you don't know the language of the country, just say 'Manchester United'

• Advertisement

G.K. wrote: »
    Not quite following what you are saying?

we dont need to sign definsively minded players. i used to think we needed them, but this season has shown me we dont. we won a huge amount of games last year 1-0 or 2-0 and games where were were solid, without being creative.

our problem is holding on to the ball and scoring from midfield. Ando, fletcher and carrick do enough destructive work for me, thus we dont need another player like that. Pogba also could come under that mould, but he gets about a bit more than them.

its basically a replacement for scholes we need and you cannot call scholes defensive!!

redzerdrog wrote: »
    why ye gave bebe's agent a similar amount for someone who is useless would have been far better off greasing Hazards agents hand tbh

United paid the release clause to Bebe's club. It was them that paid the agent.

This case is different as the 6 mill was on top of the fee the club received.

I'd like Fellaini, doubt he'd break the bank either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Somebody mentioned it few weeks ago and that poster made good point in that we could do with signing a "Leader" type player like Vidic for CM.

Somebody of Roy Keane mode. The poblem is there not many about and the few that are seem like they wont go for love nor money.

On the fans thing.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/29052012/63/united-ten.html
    Richard Arnold, the club's commercial director, said the depth of support had helped United's commercial income soar - it has risen by at least 10% every year since 2007.

• Advertisement

Just reading the article on the Italian match fixing on BBC and I'd wonder how it affects Pogba's potential move to Juventus considering Conte is among those being questioned. Surely it would make him seriously rethink staying at United? If he was really going to leave in the first place...

Full article (though I should note the suggestion that football would be suspended in Italy at all to be insane):

Professional football in Italy should be suspended for up to three years after a match-fixing row, Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti has suggested.

He said that the scandal had caused "profound sadness" across the country.

Mr Monti was speaking a day after a number of people - including Lazio's captain Stefano Mauri - were arrested.

Police are searching more than 30 homes, including those of players, trainers and administrators of clubs in Serie A, Serie B and lower divisions.

Juventus coach Antonio Conte, who just led the club to the Serie A title in his first season in charge, is among those being questioned by police.

Officers also visited Italy's pre-Euro 2012 training camp to question left-back Domenico Criscito.

The Italian football federation later announced that Criscito, who is now at Zenit St Petersburg in Russia, would not be selected for Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine "in order to clear his name".

Five people were also arrested in Hungary on suspicion of being part of an illegal international betting ring.

Mr Monti said he was making the suggestion as a football fan
    'Mere proposal'
    "I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to suspend the game for two or three years," Mr Monti said on Tuesday.

"It's particularly sad when a world which should be an expression of the highest values - sport, youth, competition, fairness turns out to be a mass of foul play, falsehood and demagoguery."

However, Mr Monti acknowledged that his suggestion was not "a proposal by the government but a question I am asking".

Monday's arrests were part of a wider investigation which has already seen a number of arrests of current and former Italian players.

In June last year, the interior ministry set up a special match-fixing task force in response to a number of high-profile cases.

Former Atalanta captain and Italy midfielder Cristiano Doni was banned for three-and-a-half years in August for his part in the "Calcioscommesse" scandal involving Serie B matches last season. He was also arrested in December 2011 over match-fixing and betting allegations.

Atalanta, promoted from Serie B, were deducted six points in the top flight this season as a result of the scandal.

Former Lazio and Italy striker Giuseppe Signori was banned for five years, and 15 other players were banned for between one and five years for their involvement.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'd like Fellaini, doubt he'd break the bank either.

define break the bank - Everton would want a lot of Money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

POSSY wrote: »

If only we had gotten Ribery!

to live in the church tower........

DM-ICE wrote: »
    define break the bank - Everton would want a lot of Money

I think the absolute max they would ask for is £15 million, plus if we showed interest, Fellaini might try to force a move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

J. Marston wrote: »
    I think the absolute max they would ask for is £15 million, plus if we showed interest, Fellaini might try to force a move.

They paid more than that for him . They would want double that IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

our problem is holding on to the ball and scoring from midfield. Ando, fletcher and carrick do enough destructive work for me, thus we dont need another player like that. Pogba also could come under that mould, but he gets about a bit more than them.

its basically a replacement for scholes we need and you cannot call scholes defensive!!

You can't include Fletcher. And Anderson is a liability defensively (although he is good at tackling when he tries). But we do have Jones as back-up for Carrick, so that's two defensive minded midfielders. And Pogba too as you say, if he stays.

The problem is none of them are good enough on the ball. So they are part of the reason why the team struggles to hold onto and use possession. So an upgrade in that position for the first team would be a big help. Then Carrick and Jones could be there for back-up and Pogba could fùck off.

A replacement for Scholes is needed too. My preference would be somebody young and cheepish who could fight with Cleverley for the spot in the first team. Powell sounds good for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Pro. F wrote: »
    You can't include Fletcher. And Anderson is a liability defensively (although he is good at tackling when he tries). But we do have Jones as back-up for Carrick, so that's two defensive minded midfielders. And Pogba too as you say, if he stays.

The problem is none of them are good enough on the ball. So they are part of the reason why the team struggles to hold onto and use possession. So an upgrade in that position for the first team would be a big help. Then Carrick and Jones could be there for back-up and Pogba could fùck off.

A replacement for Scholes is needed too. My preference would be somebody young and cheepish who could fight with Cleverley for the spot in the first team. Powell sounds good for that.
    I'm not sure how you can say Pogba is not good on the ball, I would be of the opinion that that's one of his strong points! Not that it really matters at the end of the day seeing as even if he stays he won't be first choice.

They paid more than that for him . They would want double that IMO

In that case, they can piss off.

And they paid £15 million for him? What's all this stuff about Moyes never having a penny to spend then?

Because they got 23m for selling Lescott to city, they had some stuff to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Thought he was off to Chelsea, well, it seemed they were interested in anyways.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement