Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

532746_10150935016129127_1684691405_n.jpg

428468_10150934806984127_55546454126_9917671_101354078_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Didn't know that. Source?

Presuming there is a credible source, the other four points still stand though...

I can't find the source I'm afraid, I don't think I read it online, think I saw it on TV in a football focus piece on Adam Johnson. It has been discussed in previous United superthreads when Adam Johnson's name has popped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

If we sign Kagawa, I'm sure everything he does will be compared with Hazard, just like how Berba and Tevez were compared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Madness that henderson is going and carrick is staying back.

Rio even more so, although as a united fan with his back im happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    If we sign Kagawa, I'm sure everything he does will be compared with Hazard, just like how Berba and Tevez were compared.

Berba and Tevez are compared ?

Couldn't be more different if they tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Well Carrick had effectively retired so thats why, apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Crewe Alex: Talks begin with Manchester United over £4m sale of wonder kid Nick Powell

May 30 2012 by Peter Morse, Crewe Chronicle

CREWE Alex expect to receive a club record transfer fee when Nick Powell joins Manchester United.

Shinji Kagawa typifies Manchester United's new age of austerity

Jamie Jackson Tuesday 29 May 2012 21.48 BST The Guardian

The Borussia Dortmund midfielder can pass and score but may not appease an Old Trafford crowd craving star quality.

Shinji-Nagawa-008.jpg
    Shinji Kagawa has proved a reliable goalscorer from midfielder since arriving at Borussia Dortmund in 2010. Photograph: Martin Rose/Bongarts/Getty Images

Shinji Kagawa has pace, a trick and can score. In addition – and vitally – he fits the profile of a current Sir Alex Ferguson buy: he is relatively modestly priced at around £17.5m and at 23 he has the youth to improve.

Conversely, this is what concerns Manchester United fans. The summer transfer season's first marquee signing was lost when Eden Hazard decided Chelsea's new status as London's first kings of Europe trumped United's pedigree of 19 titles and three European Cups. While Hazard is heralded as Europe's most exciting prospect there is nothing Hollywood about Kagawa, for the moment at least.

Leighton Baines flattered by Manchester United link

JOHN CURTIS WEDNESDAY 30 MAY 2012 UK Independent

He said: "The United link is flattering. There is no harm in people talking about it because it is a great club.

"But I'm at a great club as well, a club that I love. The focus now is all on the tournament. There's not much time to let other things seep in.

"It's about getting your head on this job for the next six weeks and try to do the best you can.

"I'm not letting my focus shift to [my future] while I am in camp. I'm focused on what I'm doing at the moment."

Asked if it would be hard to leave Everton, he added: "Yes, obviously. You know what it means. I've been there for five years myself but also know first-hand what it means to a lot of people."

Never said anything about style, their scoring record was always compared for first 2-3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Carrick retired from international duty.

There was numerous articles comparing the two of them especially around the time Tevez left United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Never said anything about style, their scoring record was always compared for first 2-3 years.

As was Owen and Tevez' goal scoring record for the first few months after Owen joined, but that stopped fairly lively :p

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    As was Owen and Tevez' goal scoring record for the first few months after Owen joined, but that stopped fairly lively :p

Peaked very early. :pac:

_46410778_owen_new_credit.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

While Hazard is heralded as Europe's most exciting prospect there is nothing Hollywood about Kagawa, for the moment at least.

So? We don't want Hollywood, we want a good player and that's what Kagawa is.

Fúcking journalists....

J. Marston wrote: »

Fúcking journalists....

That's awful journalism. Kagawa is an extremely exciting player to watch, the only things that aren't Hollywood about him are his name, his fee and his wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Just thinking about how Chelsea are going to shape up next season and they are looking awesome, if the Hulk rumors are to be believed.

There are any number of variations the front four could have such as

Torres
    Mata
    Hazard
    Hulk--

There are a lot of goals possible from that.

With Lampard and Mikel/Essien sitting behind them I could see Torres doing well in that scenario, if he returns to his ATL.M form they could be major contenders imo and Hulk is a beast. They also signed Marin, not a bad option for the bench and just as well because it looks like he will spend a lot of time there.

Compare that with

Rooney
    Young---Kagawa----Nani

and Carrick/Fletcher plus Scholes sitting behind them.

We are lacking a little when you go like for like don't you think? A more creative DM to replace Scholes is needed, does Modric offer enough physicality? plenty off creativity but he seems like he could be bullied easliy.

Hulk and Torres can be swapped like for like with Chelsea as with Mata and Hazard, allowing Lampard to be used further up the pitch.

I don't think Wellbeck or Chico are ready just yet to lead the line on their own so another target man is needed. If RVP or Fernando Llorente could be tempted very well and I think you need that kind of physicality when moving away from the 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1/4-3-3. Dare I say we hang onto Berbatov just in case, him holding up the play and allowing others to run off him could be an option if Rooney is injured/tired but I think Fergie will lean heavily on the 4-4-2 formation again, which was ok in the PL but won't cut it in europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

We should buy Gerard Butler.

That's awful journalism. Kagawa is an extremely exciting player to watch, the only things that aren't Hollywood about him are his name, his fee and his wage.

And his Nationality?

I dont think those journalist even watched him play, he is very exciting player. If he makes instant impact at United the very same jounos will publish how much Kagawa has improved or how good a player he is just like how they wrote about Aguero for scoring against Swansea in the first match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just thinking about how Chelsea are going to shape up next season and they are looking awesome, if the Hulk rumors are to be believed.

There are any number of variations the front four could have such as

Torres
    Mata
    Hazard
    Hulk--

With Lampard and Mikel/Essien sitting behind them I could see Torres doing well in that scenario, if he returns to his ATL.M form they could be major contenders imo and Hulk is a beast. They also signed Marin, not a bad option for the bench and just as well because it looks like he will spend a lot of time there.

Compare that with

Rooney
    Young---Kagawa----Nani

We are lacking a little when you go like for like don't you think? A more creative DM to replace Scholes is needed, does Modric offer enough physicality? plenty off creativity but he seems like he could be bullied easliy.

Hulk and Torres can be swapped like for like with Chelsea as with Mata and Hazard, allowing Lampard to be used further up the pitch.

I don't think Wellbeck or Chico are ready just yet to lead the line on their own so another target man is needed. If RVP or Fernando Llorente could be tempted very well and I think you need that kind of physicality when moving away from the 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1/4-3-3. Dare I say we hang onto Berbatov just in case, him holding up the play and allowing others to run off him could be an option if Rooney is injured/tired but I think Fergie will lean heavily on the 4-4-2 formation again, which was ok in the PL but won't cut it in europe.

Did you forget about Valencia?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

The Rodgers to Liverpool deal has come about a week too late for us to latch onto getting Sigurdsson. A week later and I doubt that he'd have signed for Swansea, with Rodgers not being there.

He'd have been a good signing for us imo. And only 2 million more than Powell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

The Rodgers to Liverpool deal has come about a week too late for us to latch onto getting Sigurdsson. A week later and I doubt that he'd have signed for Swansea, with Rodgers not being there.

Bid for Modric , ye know ye want to? £40m+ and Levy will sign off on it i reckon.

Did you forget about Valencia?

Forgot to mention him in the post but he's a great stand in for Nani. When Nani's on form though Nani>Valencia.

We have less effective swapable front options then that possible Chelsea line up. We just seem more imbalanced compared to them.

• Advertisement

And his Nationality?

I dont think those journalist even watched him play, he is very exciting player. If he makes instant impact at United the very same jounos will publish how much Kagawa has improved or how good a player he is just like how they wrote about Aguero for scoring against Swansea in the first match.

The journalist wrote that he had a glance at youtube clips of him, he obviously hasn't seen him play.

Writing an article on a player that you haven't seen play in an actual match. Jesus Christ, the standard of football journalism is dropping by the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Forgot to mention him in the post but he's a great stand in for Nani. When Nani's on form though Nani>Valencia.

We have less effective swapable front options then that possible Chelsea line up. We just seem more imbalanced compared to them.

Nani left, Valencia right.

Nani is better than Young on the left and once he gets a run of games he's only marginally worse than on the right, where he's at his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

We should buy Gerard Butler.

He can take over the Aon ads from Michael Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Apparently, he hasn't signed a contract with them yet and was only signing because of Rodgers so can't see him signing if he hasn't done so already.

And i would think that the fee was pre-arranged by Swansea and Hoffenheim when he went on loan as an option to purchase him after the loan spell for a set fee. If other clubs come in i can see Hoffenheim asking for a nice chunk more than the £7 million quoted.

The journalist wrote that he had a glance at youtube clips of him, he obviously hasn't seen him play.

Writing an article on a player that you haven't seen play in an actual match. Jesus Christ, the standard of football journalism is dropping by the day.

And then he came to conclusion that there is nothing hollywood about him like Hazard? I wont say he was way off the mark, but I bet he felt Kagawa is not exciting player at all.

Read that article, Journos are paid to write that? Any one who watched game for few years can come up with those simpleton articles. Would love to see at least someone spending some time and write about how tactically he can fit at so and so team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Anyone who says Kagawa is not an exciting player hasn't actually watched him. Won't claim to be an avid fan of the Bundesliga, but I've seen enough of Kagawa in matches to be very happy with this deal going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Apparently, he hasn't signed a contract with them yet and was only signing because of Rodgers so can't see him signing if he hasn't done so already.

And i would think that the fee was pre-arranged by Swansea and Hoffenheim when he went on loan as an option to purchase him after the loan spell for a set fee. If other clubs come in i can see Hoffenheim asking for a nice chunk more than the £7 million quoted.

Siggy to land at Liverpool must be a cert now............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Torres
    Mata
    Hazard
    Hulk--

<snip>

Compare that with

Rooney
    Young---Kagawa----Nani

We are lacking a little when you go like for like don't you think?

Personally, I'd go with Nani on the left, and Valencia on the right.

What exactly are we lacking? Rooney outscored Torres last season, and his form overall, has been better. Kagawa and Hazard operate on a very similiar level. Kagawa should find the transition to the Premiership easier, as the Bundesliga is far in front of Ligue 1 in terms of quality.

Mata and Nani are both capable of magic and our outstanding players. Valencia is a proven, quality winger, while Hulk is untested in the Premiership, he's a good player, but I don't think he is the world beating superstar (not yet at least), that people make out. I honestly think that if Hulk was called, say, Chad, a lot less people would claim he was a "beast".

Mata & Hazard are interchangable, but Hazard has said he wants to play as a number 10. I don't think Torres & Hulk can be swapped like for like. Why pay £50 million for a striker and play him at RM/RW, and pay (presumably) £30 million + for a RW/RM and play him as a striker (even if Hulk can do a good job upfront, I don't think Torres is an effective RW).

Moral of the story is, Kawaga excites the hell out of me. Our front four (if we get Kawaga, and they tie up deals for Hazard & Hulk) is definitely not inferior to Chelsea's.

It's the center of midfield where the problems would begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

What exactly are we lacking? Rooney outscored Torres last season, and his form overall, has been better. Kagawa and Hazard operate on a very similiar level. Kagawa should find the transition to the Premiership easier, as the Bundesliga is far in front of Ligue 1 in terms of quality.

Mata and Nani are both capable of magic and our outstanding players. Valencia is a proven, quality winger, while Hulk is untested in the Premiership, he's a good player, but I don't think he is the world beating superstar (not yet at least), that people make out. I honestly think that if Hulk was called, say, Chad, a lot less people would claim he was a "beast".

Mata & Hazard are interchangable, but Hazard has said he wants to play as a number 10. I don't think Torres & Hulk can be swapped like for like. Why pay £50 million for a striker and play him at RM/RW, and pay (presumably) £30 million + for a RW/RM and play him as a striker (even if Hulk can do a good job upfront, I don't think Torres is an effective RW).

Moral of the story is, Kawaga excites the hell out of me. Our front four (if we get Kawaga, and they tie up deals for Hazard & Hulk) is definitely not inferior to Chelsea's.

chad-ochocinco.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

dahat wrote: »
    Siggy to land at Liverpool must be a cert now............

If there is truth in that he hasn't put pen to paper with Swansea, i think it's a real possibility. But as i said, i don't think other clubs looking to buy will get him as cheap as i would think it was a pre-arranged fee between the clubs. Suppose it will all depend on the price. Liverpool need investment in other area's first i would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i dont rate Hulk one bit. if he signed for united, i would be appalled.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    chad-ochocinco.jpg

Sorry Chad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

i dont rate Hulk one bit. if he signed for united, i would be appalled.

I used to have nightmares about The Hulk when i was younger so if he did sign for us i would be traumatised!!...a relapse into those horrible mares....:mad:

I do think there could be issues at Chelsea next year if Hulk does sign,Sturridge for me is prime candidate to throw toys out of the pram around January time.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Sorry Chad.

The landlocked country in Central Africa accepts your apology.

chad_flag.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

DuckerTheTimes: On Baines #MUFC link, #EFC have had no contact at all from Utd, he's valued at £20m and Utd have signed just one 27+yr old for £ in 15yrs

He's more reliable than most journos imo. Obviously this doesn't mean we aren't after him but I would be surprised if we were considering there has been no contact at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

20 million for Baines would be mad but it wouldn't surprise me if it happens .

Kagawa won inaugural Bundesliga Football Player of the Year award

Kagawa season stats.

Screen-shot-2012-05-29-at-10.54.29.png

http://bundesligafootball.co.uk/shinji-kagawa-player-of-the-year/

£20m for Baines is mental.

I'm sure he was named Hulk because of his resemblance to the beast.

I highlighted this area and the need for a replacement for Scholes. Nani on the left and Valencia on the right does make us stronger alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Advertisement

120 million?

SOLD
    dwightshrutecelebrating.gif

J. Marston wrote: »

Fúcking journalists....

Who said he's saying it's a bad thing? All he's basically saying is he's not in the limelight all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

If Ronaldo was worth £80m Rooney is worth about £50m.
    I'd take £120m without batting an eyelid.
    Rooney won't be sold because nobody's going to offer what it'd take to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Samich wrote: »
    Who said he's saying it's a bad thing? All he's basically saying is he's not in the limelight all the time.

No, that's not all he's saying.

Eathrin wrote: »

That doesn't work that way. For example, If Carroll is worth 35 Million and Torres 50 Million then surely Rooney is worth more than that?

Players are worth what clubs will pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

That figure of £120M is including wages for Rooney.

If you believe the story in the first place! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Eathrin wrote: »

That doesn't work that way. For example, If Carroll is worth 35 Million and Torres 50 Million then surely Rooney is worth more than that?
    But Carroll wasn't worth anywhere near 35m and Torres,relative to other transfers,probably was worth 50m at the time,he just hasn't looked that player since then.

I highlighted this area and the need for a replacement for Scholes.

Yeah, that's absolutely right too. Anyways, my real point was that our front four wouldn't be lacking in any department. It's incredibly strong, and certainly no weaker than Chelsea's (again, assuming all the transfers actually take place). The concern for us is CM as always....

A shift to 4-2-3-1 would be the way to go IMO. If Kagawa is out, Rooney can drop back into the number 10 role, and Welbeck or Chico could lead the line. Chico can lead it in different ways to the typical number 9, but I think he can still do it. Rooney largely dropped deep in many games during Chico's first season anyway, and we were quite successful.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    But Carroll wasn't worth anywhere near 35m and Torres,relative to other transfers,probably was worth 50m at the time,he just hasn't looked that player since then.

Yes, they weren't worth that much but still selling team got that much. So just because Ronaldo was sold for 80 Million doesn't mean the next transfer should be lower than that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement