Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

markc1184 wrote: »
    Is there a way of knowing officially how many commercial deals United are tied into?

front page of the official website lists the following as official sponsors, though i thought audi and kuomo tires should be included? and we had some watch company also...maybe those 3 deals are up.

207061.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

front page of the official website lists the following as official sponsors, though i thought audi and kuomo tires should be included? and we had some watch company also...maybe those 3 deals are up.
    Hublot is a watch company if that's the one you're thinking of??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

207061.png
    The GM deal could be replacing the Audi one, would make sense.

Hublot is the watch company. Don't know what the story is with Kuomo tires

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

The GM deal, or Chevrolet to be more precise, is just for China or maybe Asia in general.. definitely not a global partnership.

You know Utd and their territorial deals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I know it's 3 years away but I'd expect the next shirt deal we get to be worth a ridiculous amount.

Perfect scenario for me would be a bidding war between Nike and Adidas, resulting in Adidas getting the contract. Ideally it'd be worth 60-70 million a year over 10 years and they have to make some decent looking jerseys as well.

Now that City have signed with Nike it could be a good opportunity for Adidas to swoop in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Adidas has been producing better jerseys than Nike for a good while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Which is why I'd like them to be our next sponsors. They pulled out of the L'Pool deal because of results I think. Hopefully we'd have no problem in that department.

Comparing the jersey we'll have next year to the ones that Madrid and Germany have is depressing. Nike have no imagination at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Which is why I'd like them to be our next sponsors. They pulled out of the L'Pool deal because of results I think. Hopefully we'd have no problem in that department.

Comparing the jersey we'll have next year to the ones that Madrid and Germany have is depressing. Nike have no imagination at all.

everton-away-kit-600x401.jpg

Why couldn't we have that template? Simple and looks nice. But oh no, Nike has to get all experimental and make the players wear a tea towel.

J. Marston wrote: »
    everton-away-kit-600x401.jpg

Why couldn't we have that template? Simple and looks nice. But oh no, Nike has to get all experimental and make the players wear a tea towel.
    Even their advertising campaigns are unimaginative. :rolleyes:
    That's almost identical to the Made of Manchester one they had for ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rojiblancos

GM replacing Audi, Also means Utd will play in the Chevrolet China Cup. Audi are after agreeing a deal with chelsea for the next 3 yrs cant find any info on value though of either deal.

Kumho Tyres must be gone. Current list is aon,nike,dhl,betfair,singha,casillero del diablo,thomas cook,hublot,turkish airlines,smirnoff,epson,mister potato,turk telecom and a few other smaller companies, mainly asian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I know it's 3 years away but I'd expect the next shirt deal we get to be worth a ridiculous amount.

Perfect scenario for me would be a bidding war between Nike and Adidas, resulting in Adidas getting the contract. Ideally it'd be worth 60-70 million a year over 10 years and they have to make some decent looking jerseys as well.

Now that City have signed with Nike it could be a good opportunity for Adidas to swoop in.

Just because City signed with Nike doesn't mean we have to switch to Adidas and I'm not sure I like the 3 stripes on all the jerseys. Plain red looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

J. Marston wrote: »

I'd say any jersey needs to be approved by the club before Nike go ahead and make it tbh

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Adidas has been producing better jerseys than Nike for a good while now.
    SAF wrote:
    "Sometimes you look in a field and you see a cow, and you think it's a better cow than you've got in your own field. And it never works out that way. It's probably the same cow, or not even as good as your own cow."
    :pac:

No seriously its not that Nike has been ****. Our last few season jersseys are not bad at all and this season Dutch away jersey is superb. Probably best than any other jersey.

Last season Chelsea jersey was more like Wigan's and it was done by Adidas.

I for one would like us to continue with Nike and as Des said Nike can only finalise after dicsussing with the club?

Next season jersey is one off, it has some history and will leave it at it. 2008-09 jersey was class so was 2010-11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Club-News/2012/May/manchester-united-agree-five-year-deal-with-chevrolet.aspx

Reds agree Chevrolet deal

Chevrolet has agreed a five-year partnership to become Manchester United’s official automotive partner.

The U.S.-based car manufacturer has pledged that fans will be at the heart of the sponsorship, with a constant focus on bringing the club's supporters and football fans around the world closer to the game than ever before.

Details of the global partnership were due to be announced at a celebration event at the Shanghai Science & Technology Museum at 20:00 local time (13:00 BST) on Thursday.

United’s chief executive David Gill said: "Although part of two very different industries, Chevrolet and Manchester United share many of the same values.

"Like the club, it is steeped in history, having recently celebrated its centenary, and it has also grown to be a global brand, selling cars in more than 140 countries.

"Above all, it, too, strives to be the best in its field and I am delighted to welcome Chevrolet as our official automotive partner."

Richard Arnold, United’s commercial director, said: "With 659 million United fans and followers around the world, the commitment that Chevrolet is making to football and its plans to bring these fans closer to our club is very exciting for us.

"This is also the first time we have teamed up with a U.S. automotive partner and with the growing popularity of the club and English football in America, we are hoping the relationship will allow us to further expand our fan base in the country."
    General Motors’ global chief marketing officer Joel Ewanick added: "Manchester United has some of the most passionate supporters of any sporting club in the world.

"The Chevrolet family is proud to partner with Manchester United and is fully committed to putting these fans at the centre of everything we do."

United’s head of marketing Jonathan Rigby said: "The plans and ideas we have for the partnership are truly refreshing and the benefits will be seen at the grass-roots level among our substantial fanbase as well as football fans generally.

"Chevrolet and Manchester United are two well-known, powerful brands with a worldwide audience and we are looking forward to working with Chevrolet to put together some unique global fan initiatives for the forthcoming season.

Richard Arnold, United’s commercial director, said: "With 659 million United fans and followers around the world, the commitment that Chevrolet is making to football and its plans to bring these fans closer to our club is very exciting for us.

Hopefully he will just STFU about 659 Million fans thing. Embarrassing thing to say.

So we have added 2 new sponsors. We are doing great on this front, just need to get rid of debt and we will become powerhouse once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Hopefully he will just STFU about 659 Million fans thing. Enbarrassing thing to say.

So we have added 2 new sponsors. We are doing great on this front, just need to get rid of debt and we will become powerhouse once again.

Is Richard Arnold really Gary Cook in disguise or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Hear it is likely the Nike deal won't be renewed. Also that the club are not going to sign a long term kit deal like they did with the Nike contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up going with an American company, like Liverpool have with Warrior, next time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Yep that was a fantastic deal for Liverpool.

I expect we should smash all records with the next kit deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Wish someone would make an asymmetric style kit (where the left half is not a mirror image of the right half other than the crest). Kappa have done it in the past but then again I like Kappa jerseys in general. The Adidas Liverpool jersey in the 90's with the 3 stripes over the shoulder to the breast would be another example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Nike have produced some of utd's nicest kits! Is all the hate just knee jerk to this years unpopular one?

Honesty the only one I really didn't have a taste for was the one with the black chevron from a few years back, I'll reserve judgement on the new one till I see it 'in the flesh'.

They have the capability to make a really nice kit and as someone has already mentioned, there is no way they would release a kit without utd's go-ahead.

I want to see a bidding war to maximise profits obviously, but I'd be happy if Nike remained kit supplier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Hear it is likely the Nike deal won't be renewed. Also that the club are not going to sign a long term kit deal like they did with the Nike contract.

I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up going with an American company, like Liverpool have with Warrior, next time around.

When is the Nike deal up?

When you look at some of the Nike jerseys released in the last few months for international teams they are savage but I haven't liked any of ours in a few years. That Liverpool jersey done by Warrior is actually very nice. I was expecting it to be awful for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I personally would love to see United go with someone like UnderArmour.

United get the use of Nike Town during the offseason. I think it is in Colorado. Would that influence Uniteds decision on shirt sponsors? I personally believe it would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

killwill wrote: »
    I personally would love to see United go with someone like UnderArmour.

United get the use of Nike Town during the offseason. I think it is in Colorado. Would that influence Uniteds decision on shirt sponsors? I personally believe it would.

Do UnderArmour make jerseys for any big teams? I can't think of one

Felexicon wrote: »

Not that I am aware of. They do have soccer shorts, shirts and boots or cleats as our American friends like to call them. Some of their boots are savage.

I think we should go Irish me boyo's :D:D:D
    O'Neills%20Logo.jpg?height=138&width=400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Felexicon

killwill wrote: »
    Not that I am aware of. They do have soccer shorts, shirts and boots or cleats as our American friends like to call them. Some of their boots are savage.
    It seems they made Honovers jersey in 2010. Looks fairly nice to be fair.

It seems they made Honovers jersey in 2010. Looks fairly nice to be fair.

Did you google their boots? Fair nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Theyre doing Spurs next season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Did unread somewhere that Spurs are switching to Under Armour? Generally like thier stuff as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I think the new Madrid Jersey is very classy. Adidas make nice simple kits. This in United Red, with white stripes would be lovely. Wonder if they will stick with the Red Away Jersey this year too.

589927255.jpg?key=489663&Expires=1338461664&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=EcVUBNelz2ROBLvGjcK~Gm1yN4-XVviFkGtDXkHZSR-hV2WbmZ6WwTHylKv9TGi9Q9Tk161udZSsbBLTTWRrBQEngBKECVB2rigdednZqUalmWUsfn1SejMPY6v6VwrS-ZhfW3zV5IPMkgqZV8o-q0iwwPiexXjRRxAGCPZkCu8_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

modric talk starting to grow, as expected.

i tell ye, this transfer talk will run until deadline day and be the death of us all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Hopefully it'll die down for the duration of the Euro's when there's actually some football to talk about..

Probably not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

If, as expected, United sign Kagawa (hurry on already) and imagine getting Modric, I would love to see this next season. Miguel Delaney reckons there is definitely something to the Unt/Modric rumours. Fletch supposedly told a journo mate of his that he was convinced Luka would have been a Utd player last year. (Mitch may have already mentioned all of this :) )

Carrick
    Modric

Val
    Kagawa
    Nani
    Rooney

Would actually be great. Add to that, Vidic back from injury, Evra hopefully having competition for his LB spot.

Could be a very, very strong 11.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

alproctor wrote: »
    Hopefully it'll die down for the duration of the Euro's when there's actually some football to talk about..

Probably not though.

It usually gets bigger, players have a good tournament and then they are linked with all the big clubs. Any striker that scores 3+ goals will immediately be linked with the top clubs. Any midfielder that looks like he is playing well will be linked with us, the way it usually is

nicklauski wrote: »
    If, as expected, United sign Kagawa (hurry on already) and imagine getting Modric, I would love to see this next season. Miguel Delaney reckons there is definitely something to the Unt/Modric rumours. Fletch supposedly told a journo mate of his that he was convinced Luka would have been a Utd player last year. (Mitch may have already mentioned all of this :) )

Carrick
    Modric

Val
    Kagawa
    Nani
    Rooney

Would actually be great. Add to that, Vidic back from injury, Evra hopefully having competition for his LB spot.

that team is pretty much perfect, only thing I would say is possibly Young for Nani as he links up so well with Rooney.

Kharrell wrote: »
    It usually gets bigger, players have a good tournament and then they are linked with all the big clubs. Any striker that scores 3+ goals will immediately be linked with the top clubs. Any midfielder that looks like he is playing well will be linked with us, the way it usually is

Ya, true, but at least we have some football to break up the constant speculation!!!

Ya, true, but at least we have some football to break up the constant speculation!!!

Transfer speculation >> Euro12

:cool:

I was tweeting early this morning about the squad and I thought I would post it on here.

We need a new LB and Jordi Alba springs to mind. Baines is a good LB but we need better than good and with Valencia holding out for a bit more money for Alba, think we should jump in now before Barca up their bid.

Once we conclude the deal for Kagawa I would like to see us turn out attention to either Cabaye or Modric but only once Pogba leaves. Pogba has immense talent but needs to feel valued and signing another midfielder will force him to leave. If Pogba continues to learn from Scholes then I think we easily have a player who can be similar to Yaya in terms of build and the ability to run from box to box.

With Berba and Owen off, don't see the need to splash money on another striker when we have Will Keane. Think in a few years he will push for an England place, he is a natural finisher and looks good at Eng U19's, scored a brace last week but picked up what could be a serious injury last night. I hope to see him get some Cup games this season, if not send him out on loan to a good Championship side, i was thinking Bolton as in the past they have used their loan signings well.

If we are to go for another striker we should look to bring back Rossi, Villareal have just been relegated and with him coming back from a serious injury we could potentially pick him up for dirt cheap, I think its worth a gamble.

Also think we need a DM. At OT one won't be needed but against the top clubs we need someone that can break up play and keep the ball ticking over. Lars Bender springs to mind.

Just a few things that I've had on my mind for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

There's talk that Alba to Barca is already done .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

nicklauski wrote: »

Carrick
    Modric

Val
    Kagawa
    Nani
    Rooney

Then if you look at the back up to that we would have a seriously strong squad

Anderson
    Scholes

Young
    Welbeck
    Giggs
    Hernandez

Also you have Cleverley that could fit in there too and maybe Pogba, Park & Fletcher.

• Advertisement

There's talk that Alba to Barca is already done .

I thought so to, heard that was pretty much wrapped up in Jan but with United showing interest it seems Valencia know they can get more money for him and why sell to Barca and have him come back and haunt you when you can sell to United for possibly more money and not have to see him at least twice a season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I'm going to be on a one-man crusade all summer to get United to loan Mathieu, aren' I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

G.K. wrote: »
    I'm going to be on a one-man crusade all summer to get United to loan Mathieu, aren' I?

as a leeds fan why would you want that mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I'll still say a player who would play exactly like schweinsteiger did in the EUro Cup final would be perfect for United.

Carrick is fine but as I've said here several times, he does not stamp his authority on a game. He does a lot of unsung work very well and I think he was instrumental in his first season at United in winning the title back off chelsea, however he is, fo my liking, far too conservative in his play. after his goal against QPR I saw the type of player United so desperately crave. The attacking midfielder/ creative is fine but will be for me a peripheral consideration. United need a guy that would have taken City on in The Etihad, picked up the ball from deep and ran straight at City. Rooney would cement his status at the third best player on the planet with a guy like that. Rooney would thrive on a Schewinstieger, he had it briefly at United with Keane. I think that type of player would make United a dauntign proposition for any team in Europe, direct, hard hitting fast counter attacking football.

United are a pacey team, De Gea is a seriously good distributor of the ball. Carrick protecting the back four, Smalling/ Ferdinand and Vidic a mixture of pace and power, perhaps two new full backs but Evra would be lethal as an attacking force and then the pace of Valencia and Nani and the directnees of Rooney and A.N. other in CM United would be lethal.

Kharrell wrote: »

Once we conclude the deal for Kagawa I would like to see us turn out attention to either Cabaye or Modric but only once Pogba leaves. Pogba has immense talent but needs to feel valued and signing another midfielder will force him to leave. If Pogba continues to learn from Scholes then I think we easily have a player who can be similar to Yaya in terms of build and the ability to run from box to box.

Also think we need a DM. At OT one won't be needed but against the top clubs we need someone that can break up play and keep the ball ticking over. Lars Bender springs to mind.

Why would you want to force Pogba out of the club? And how do you know he needs to feel valued???

Nothing personal, but this thing that people keep coming up with that '<player> needs an arm around him, a guide' constantly amuses me - Unless you actually know the player, or he has come out and said as much, this is purely speculation, and afaik Pogba hasn't made any such statement.

As for a DM??? We need a box-to-box, dynamic midfielder - Not someone that just sits in front of a back 4. Fergie came out a couple of weeks ago and said that in his time at the club, we have never had a DM.

Arguably the most effective midfielders we've had in that role were Robson and Keane, and you couldn't just call them DM's - they had a lot more to their game than just the destructive side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

My own allegiance doesn't come into it. I support Leeds. That doesn't automatically make me dispositioned to not want the best for any other club (Except Galatasaray).

I think United should go for Mathieu on a year's loan because he's a good player, better than Evra, and he's in his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

As for a DM??? We need a box-to-box, dynamic midfielder - Not someone that just sits in front of a back 4. Fergie came out a couple of weeks ago and said that in his time at the club, we have never had a DM.

Arguably the most effective midfielders we've had in that role were Robson and Keane, and you couldn't just call them DM's - they had a lot more to their game than just the destructive side.

I've been banging this drum for quite some time here. I don't think it computes with the denizens!

Pogba, I would have said, was that type of player. Box to box, eye for goal and able to put in the tackles. I honestly thought he'd have seen a lot of game time with Scholes retired. Perhaps there are issues there behind the scenes. No official confirmation of what his intentions are. I'd like to think that the long it goes on the better chance United have of keeping him. The Juve stuff could be a ploy to get him more favourable terms. Much and all as I'd like to see him at United, if the chap does not want to play for them there is no point in forcing him.

Why would you want to force Pogba out of the club? And how do you know he needs to feel valued???

Nothing personal, but this thing that people keep coming up with that '<player> needs an arm around him, a guide' constantly amuses me - Unless you actually know the player, or he has come out and said as much, this is purely speculation, and afaik Pogba hasn't made any such statement.

I know it's not personal :)

Reason I feel he needs to be valued is that he's human and everyone wants to feel valued. He wants to know he is in Fergie's mind when it comes to games and his agent is probably telling him he will feature for Juve and not United.I was speaking to a journalist mate of mine and he said Pogba was livid at the fact Scholes was brought back when he felt he could have done the job himself. Now I think thats a bit far fetched from him, Scholes has experience and is world class and Pogba only has potential but I can see why he would be angry. Fergie said he would play him more as he knew the kid could leave for free but he was hardly played and if his agent is telling him he can get more game time at another club then he is entitled to leave (even if his agent sounds like an absolute scumbag)

When I say DM i don't mean someone who can tackle and not do anything else so for that I apologise. A few years ago when were linked with Busquets people laughed but I though he is exactly what we need, someone who can put a tackle in but also keep the ball ticking over and set up attacks. Carrick can do that but to me isn't commanding enough and should score a lot more, he can hit a ball but seems he is in his comfort zone near the half way line.

Have you seen the video of Pogba when he came on against Stoke? He was putting in challenges like he was Vidic but popped up all over the field and was getting involved in attack as well as defense. Hate to admit it but he does remind of me of a young Viera :(

Hope that clears a few things up

Pogba I would have said was that type of player. Box to box, eye for goal and able to put in the tackles. I honestly thought he'd have seen a lot of game time with scholes retired. Perhaps there are issues there behind the scenes. No official confirmation of what huis intentions are. I'd like to think that the long it goes on the beter chance United yhave of keeping him. The Juve stuff could be a ploy to get him more favourable terms. Much and all as I'd like to see him at United, if the chap does not want to play for them there is no point in forcing him.

Couldn't have put it better myself and I have been trying for quite a while lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

G.K. wrote: »
    My own allegiance doesn't come into it. I support Leeds. That doesn't automatically make me dispositioned to not want the best for any other club (Except Galatasaray).

I think United should go for Mathieu on a year's loan because he's a good player, better than Evra, and he's in his prime.

fair enough point. i'd just be very different on the matter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement