Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Kharrell wrote: »
    Couldn't have put it better myself and I have been trying for quite a while lol

There are a record number of typos in that post of mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Anyone think we should bid for Mario Göetze?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭Kharrell

Regarding Pogba, did anyone see the rumour going around Twitter last night that Pogba had turned down Juve in order to stay at United? Don't know if there is any truth behind it but until I see an official statement on manutd.com I will take the rumours for what they are, rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Anyone bought the new jersey/tablecloth yet? Think it's today it goes on sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Macca07 wrote: »

He wont be leaving Dortmund this summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

markc1184 wrote: »

Waiting for Kagawa #7 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

J. Marston wrote: »
    everton-away-kit-600x401.jpg

Why couldn't we have that template? Simple and looks nice. But oh no, Nike has to get all experimental and make the players wear a tea towel.

Notice how Baines isn't featured? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

xtal191 wrote: »
    Macca07 wrote: »

He wont be leaving Dortmund this summer

Yea he's said he wants to stay at Dortmund, which I think he will for another 3 or so years, then move to Bayern.

deano546 wrote: »
    Notice how Baines isn't featured? :pac:

Interesting that Baines isn't there. As for the tea towel, I hear its called 'tartan' and its for Fergie and him being Scottish. Ever wondered why it looks a bit like a kilt lol

There are a record number of typos in that post of mine!

I got the point though lol

Pogba is exactly what is needed but if he stays he needs to play. Think him staying will signal the end of our interest in Modric

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,455 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

have it on order from hitjerseys, my order has been delayed due to them not having ireland away jerseys, will hopefully get here at some point next week but I'm not hopeful so wont be able to report until after the Euros. Think someone else posted in the jersey thread that they'd ordered it though...

All the talk about Baines, I think we should stick the the twins but if thats thats not the case I think we should look at Davide Santon at Newcastle. Can play either at LB or RB, young and I have rated him very highly at Inter so was shocked when they let him go. Obviously my opinion means nothing as I'm just a journalist but think we could do a lot worse then Santon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Interesting that Baines isn't there. As for the tea towel, I hear its called 'tartan' and its for Fergie and him being Scottish. Ever wondered why it looks a bit like a kilt lol

It's actually a style called gingham. The difference being that gingham has two stripes of colour and both are the same width. Tartan is apparently more than two colours on a solid background, and the width of the stripes changes.

*DISCLAIMER*

I researched that information. I did not know it off the top of my head :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Pogba is exactly what is needed but if he stays he needs to play. Think him staying will signal the end of our interest in Modric

Not a chance imo.

Modric is a top quality footballer.
    Pogba is unproven, but definitely has potential.

There is no way that keeping Pogba would stop us getting Modric if it is going to happen. I think you're vastly overstating his ability (for the moment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,455 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I got the point though lol

An inexperienced player with a handful of first team appearances is not 'exactly what is needed'. He's getting the major Andy Reid treatment in these parts...

It's actually a style called gingham. The difference being that gingham has two stripes of colour and both are the same width. Tartan is apparently more than two colours on a solid background, and the width of the stripes changes.

*DISCLAIMER*

I researched that information. I did not know it off the top of my head :pac:.

so you cheated :p

Liam O wrote: »
    An inexperienced player with a handful of first team appearances is not 'exactly what is needed'. He's getting the major Andy Reid treatment in these parts...

everyone starts off inexperienced but with a bit of faith and game time they get better. I'm not saying he should be starting week in week out but have him around the first team, coming on off the bench in games that we have won and starting the odd game, Carling Cup and easy games at OT. That's the only way he will develop and get the experience

alproctor wrote: »
    Not a chance imo.

Modric is a top quality footballer.
    Pogba is unproven, but definitely has potential.

There is no way that keeping Pogba would stop us getting Modric if it is going to happen. I think you're vastly overstating his ability (for the moment).

I get what you mean, putting all our hopes on Pogba is stupid and Modric has the experience at the top level to fit in straight away at United. But Fergie isn't afraid to give kids a chance to prove themselves, look at Cleverley and Welbeck this season. I just feel buying Modric and keeping Pogba is detreimental to Pogba's development. Could have Carrick, Scholes, Ando, Fletcher, Cleverley, Giggs, Modric and Pogba all fighting for 2 spots. Pogba is obviously the one who will get left out and won't help him at all. Only reason why I don't want to see Modric come if we keep Pogba, I want us to bring through players instead of splashing out. Sometimes we do need to buy but in this case I feel its not necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

All the talk about Baines, I think we should stick the the twins but if thats thats not the case I think we should look at Davide Santon at Newcastle. Can play either at LB or RB, young and I have rated him very highly at Inter so was shocked when they let him go. Obviously my opinion means nothing as I'm just a journalist but think we could do a lot worse then Santon

I didnt see anything outstanding from Santon in the league, whereas Baines has been a consistent goalscorer and creates many assits every year in the league, why wait for a player so bed in Baines is good to go.

billo.d86 wrote: »
    I didnt see anything outstanding from Santon in the league, whereas Baines has been a consistent goalscorer and creates many assits every year in the league, why wait for a player so bed in Baines is good to go.

because Santon can play on either flank and has CL experience with Inter. Baines is at his peak now but took his time to get going at Everton, think Santon has the brighter future and with Evra still at the club can't see Baines happy with sitting on the bench whereas Santon will provide good back up to Evra while competing for a spot.

• Advertisement

so you cheated :p

Haha no. I only cheated on the definition. I knew already that it was gingham. I just couldn't describe the difference between that and tartan.

Liam O wrote: »

Maybe not exactly what is needed but I think were pogba to stay paying £30m or whatever monopoly money Spurs are looking for would be unnecessary. You have Scholes, Carrick and Anderson there also, three experienced pros also Cleverley. Pogba would be more than adequate. United don't have the money to compete with Chelsea and City and won't for probably the next decade or so until the debt is serviced. Long term at United the focus has to be on budget players who will represent value for money. I'm not sure if Pogba commits to United £30m on a 26 year old would be money wisely spent. If that player was Schweinsteiger (never happen) I'd be open to debate. I don't know why but I'm not a fan of Modric. I think he is too slight. I prefer a more powerful player in that position. I know the modern game demands a more technical player than a physical one but I'd think United would be better served with a player who combines both physicality and technique. I think they lack both in spades with the natural decline of Scholes.

Maybe not exactly what is needed but I think were pogba to stay paying £30m or whatever monopoly money Spurs are looking for would be unnecessary. You have Scholes, Carrick and Anderson there also, three experienced pros also Cleverley. Pogba would be more than adequate. United don't have the money to compete with Chelsea and City and won't for probably the next decade or so until the debt is serviced. Long term at United the focus has to be on budget players who will represent value for money. I'm not sure if Pogba commits to United £30m on a 26 year old would be money wisely spent. If that player was Schweinsteiger (never happen) I'd be open to debate. I don't know why but I'm not a fan of Modric. I think he is too slight. I prefer a more powerful player in that position. I know the modern game demands a more technical player than a physical one but I'd think United would be better served with a player who combines both physicality and technique. I think they lack both in spades with the natural decline of Scholes.

Agree about the size the Modric, against City with Yaya and co charging at us Modric won't do much good. I keep going back to it but Pogba against Stoke relished the challenge of coming up against big players and not saying he will single handedly stop Yaya but he offers more strength in the middle of the park which is what we sometimes lacked last season. We cant compete with the wages that City and Chelsea are offering and Fergie always likes to look in house before going out and spending big. If Pogba stays then like you said, 3 experienced pros ahead of him and it will give him time to find his feet. One thing everyone says about Arsenal is that they chuck their kids in at the deep end, we don't do that and think Pogba will benefit from that in the long term. I've seen enough of the kid to know that he is to good to play for the reserves week in week out, he's not quite ready to start every week for the first team but I honestly feel he is more than capable of making the bench every week, possibly starting the odd game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

United facing Shanghai Shenhua in a friendly on July 25th. Wonder will Drogba be a Shenhua player by then.

Hypothetical Nonsense Post. No one in a million years would have forseen Michael Owen keeping the medical staff busy at Old Trafford, would there be any hope of Drogba taking the plunge with United? He'd be some player to get on a free. Loves the big games.

Hypothetiocal Nonsense Post. No one in a million years would have forseen Michael Owen keeping the medical staff busy at Old Trafford, would there be any hope of Drogba taking the plunge with United. He'd be some player to get on a free. Loves the big games.

Not a hope imo. He has a chance to earn gazillions over there in China. He'd be mad to turn it down.

Best of luck to him. He really stepped up when Chelsea needed him in the final. One of the most dominant players I've ever seen play. Would have loved to see him at United a few years ago. Even now he'd probably still do a good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Hypothetiocal Nonsense Post. No one in a million years would have forseen Michael Owen keeping the medical staff busy at Old Trafford, would there be any hope of Drogba taking the plunge with United. He'd be some player to get on a free. Loves the big games.

I would take Drogba in a second. If struggling for a goal late in the game you have this kind of option.

Welbeck---Drogba---Rooney

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭KH25

Hypothetical Nonsense Post. No one in a million years would have forseen Michael Owen keeping the medical staff busy at Old Trafford, would there be any hope of Drogba taking the plunge with United? He'd be some player to get on a free. Loves the big games.

I don't see it happening but he'd be a fantastic replacement for both Owen and Berbatov and possibly much more effective than both for United's style of play.

Would be a great signing but might want first team football and could we guarentee that? Plus would he leave Chelsea for us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Since we are talking about CMs, would love to see Moussa Dembele at United. I dont think Modric is realistic target, if he is available I'm sure Chelsea and City will be in for him.

Dembele is very comfortable in possession, quick feet and good dribbler too. He is 24 will turn 25 in 2 months. If he settles then surely we can have 6-7 years of quality player.

Defensively he is not bad either. 3.1 tackles per game is very good stat.

Reports in Italy have us favourites to land Kwadwo Asamoah. Two clubs are in talks according to Sky Italia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Honestly couldn't have seen any other outcome. Guy has a terrible history with injuries, usually long-term ones too. disaster of a signing.

Honestly couldn't have seen any other outcome. Guy has a terrible history with injuries, usually long-term ones too. disaster of a signing.

I think you missed the goal. Your shot has hit Eamon Dunphy in the studio.

Unless you're saying for a fact that you knew Michael Owen would sign for United. If you are you are an epic búllshítter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Reports in Italy have us favourites to land Kwadwo Asamoah. Two clubs are in talks according to Sky Italia

That might mean more if we weren't favorites for Hazard last week :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Worth it for that moment against City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Since we are talking about CMs, would love to see Moussa Dembele at United. I dont think Modric is realistic target, if he is available I'm sure Chelsea and City will be in for him.

Dembele is very comfortable in possession, quick feet and good dribbler too. He is 24 will turn 25 in 2 months. If he settles then surely we can have 6-7 years of quality player.

Defensively he is not bad either. 3.1 tackles per game is very good stat.

No, not good enough. He isn't generally a Centre midfielder even though he was playing there towards the end of last season. More attack minded.

Not that I rate Modric either for anywhere near the figures being thrown around.

double GG wrote: »
    No, not good enough. He isn't generally a Centre midfielder even though he was playing there towards the end of last season. More attack minded.

Not that I rate Modric either for anywhere near the figures being thrown around.

A decent squad player. for squad player wages and squad player transfer fee, I'd not complain. I think on tohse terms he'd be entitled to his shot. A very good player. I'd add Clint Dempsey to that list under the same conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think you missed the goal. Your shot has hit Eamon Dunphy in the studio.

Unless you're saying for a fact that you knew Michael Owen would sign for United. If you are you are an epic búllshítter.

its more to do with the wording of your post imo

at first, like the poster you quoted, i thought it was meaning that having signed him nobody could have foreseen him being injured all the time whereas you meant nobody could have foreseen us signing him - i think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

That might mean more if we weren't favorites for Hazard last week :pac:

well depending on who you believe, we were favorites to sign Hazard and he wanted to come to us.

the small matter of a 6million fee for the agent, helped to change things. it is possible that he wanted to sign for both city and united over chelsea, but both of those clubs wouldnt pay the fees to the agent.

its more to do with the wording of your post imo

at first, like the poster you quoted, i thought it was meaning that having signed him nobody could have foreseen him being injured all the time whereas you meant nobody could have foreseen us signing him - i think?

Er no. The post is ultimately about signing Didier Drogba, so ergo the post is about the unforseeability of a player signing for United. Had it been about Drogba being injury prone then yes, the forseeability of Owen's injury record would be the kernal of the post. I forgot, however, that nobody reads anymore, especially on here. SCAN....RAGE!!111!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Didn't we get him for nothing on a pay-as-you-play deal. Nothing to lose therefore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Anyone know anything about Mehdi Benatia that's seems to be getting linked along with Asamoah?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Anyone know anything about Mehdi Benatia that's seems to be getting linked along with Asamoah?

All I know that he is a defender and is quite highly rated but tbh I can't see why we would need him... Although Fergie loves signing defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Er no. The post is ultimately about signing Didier Drogba, so ergo the post is about the unforseeability of a player signing for United. Had it been about Drogba being injury prone then yes, the forseeability of Owen's injury record would be the kernal of the post. I forgot, however, that nobody reads anymore, especially on here. SCAN....RAGE!!111!!!!

Im not saying you were wrong, i was highlighting how I and the other poster may have misinterpreted it. Relax bud

and i did just read that post having sat through 6 hours worth of presentations so it was down to being tired more than not reading it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Pogba is far from defensive player. At least that was his weak point playing for reserves. He used his strength to good extent but he is not defensive player at all. He is attacking player with quick feet and trickery. He did play deeper very few times but no where near good enough even at reserves level.

I could still see him developing that part of the game because he is brave in the tackle and very strong as you say. The defensive positioning is something that can be tought relatively easily as long as the player isn't lazy. Although I haven't seen enough of him to know whether he has a lazy streak or not.

With the ball at his feet he is quite poor imo, so I don't think he will be that good a cm even if he can develop his defending.

Im not saying you were wrong, i was highlighting how I and the other poster may have misinterpreted it. Relax bud

and i did just read that post having sat through 6 hours worth of presentations so it was down to being tired more than not reading it

Fair enough, power point destroys the human spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Any word on kagawa?? Does anyone else think modric is over rated?? Would much prefer fergie to throw hat in with Schneider tbh absolutely amazing player!!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Schneider retired a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Sneijder is on the way down. Don't need him. Also wouldn't like to see Modric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Any word on kagawa?? Does anyone else think modric is over rated?? Would much prefer fergie to throw hat in with Schneider tbh absolutely amazing player!!!!

I believe Kagawa is on International Duty, nothing will be resolved there for a week or two at least. That is if he even choses United.

Modric is a different type of player. Would love both tbh.

Sneijder is past his best IMO. He might have moments of brilliance but not on a consistent level.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement