Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

But he plays for Chelsea??

I know, it's like the twilight zone! Imagine a world where Lyn Oslo player John Obi Mikel agrees a deal with Man Utd and is paraded at a press conference holding up (and wearing) his Mikel 21 jersey.

Freaky!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Thank God.

He would probably be a good fit in your team - does his job well, puts out fires and high passing stats
    >Carrick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

He would probably be a good fit in your team - does his job well, puts out fires and high passing stats
    >Carrick!

Wait now. Are you saying Mikel > Carrick ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Keno 92 wrote: »

What does Carrick do again? :D

I'm not even going to bother biting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Jaysus Carrick can't even get on the stand by list for Engerland , better still even Jordan Hendo getting in ahead of him.

BERBA wrote: »
    Jaysus Carrick can't even get on the stand by list for Engerland , better still even Jordan Hendo getting in ahead of him.

Yeah exactly. Except for the fact he told Roy he didn't want to be involved as a bit-part player.

Derp.

Yeah exactly. Except for the fact he told Roy he didn't want to be involved as a bit-part player.

Derp.

You hearing that from Carrick himself?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

>Carrick!

Fair enough entitled to your opinion.

Personally dont think Mikel has anything more then what Carrick has.

• Advertisement

You hearing that from Carrick himself?:P

edit: was beaten too it

Don't believe everything you read in the rags. He wasn't good enough in Hodgsons eyes. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Don't believe everything you read in the rags. He wasn't good enough in Hodgsons eyes. Simple.

Why do they keep letting you back here? Its pathetic.

I say Carrick and United would have made it public if Hodgson was talking crap dont you think?

These are official quotes. Not speculation. Big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Just on the strikers, all our transfer talk is about our cm and a replacement for evra and rightfully so as they need to be sorted this summer but if we sell berbatov we are only left with 3 first choice forwards...

Fergies always said you need 4 strikers, if we get kawagra and hopefully another cm and a left back , we'd hardly have enough in the kitty to replace berba ?

I can't see Fergie making 4 big signings tbh..I think even 3 is optimistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Ah, BERBA, writing absolute drivel and getting things arse ways and trying to stand over it.... ;)

That Telegraph article is quite clear. Direct quotes from Hodgson. Also, on Sky Sports, with quotes from the FA: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/7761545/Roy-Carrick-ruled-himself-out
    We were advised a few months ago that because of where he was in his career, that he wanted to step back from being called up and sitting on the subs bench.

Short of Carrick, Hodgson, and the FA calling you personally to confirm, it doesn't get more conclusive than that.

Now, unless you can provide any single shred of credible evidence, or quote from Hodgson which shows he flat out picked Henderson over Carrick, I suggest you STFU.

Old Trafford legend Schmeichel rejoins United as official ambassador
    Peter Schmeichel is returning to Manchester United.
    The former Old Trafford goalkeeper is to become one of the club's official ambassadors - a 'legend' in the same role as other former players like Bryan Robson and Gary Neville - but it is unclear if he was also to be involved on the coaching side.

59190.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Helps knock Chelsea out of the Champions League boi! Lucky you didn't face him this year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Chico scored for Mexico :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Pro. F wrote: »
    I could still see him developing that part of the game because he is brave in the tackle and very strong as you say. The defensive positioning is something that can be tought relatively easily as long as the player isn't lazy. Although I haven't seen enough of him to know whether he has a lazy streak or not.

With the ball at his feet he is quite poor imo, so I don't think he will be that good a cm even if he can develop his defending.

Yeah like you said he is brave enough to put in a tackle or two. So defensive side of the game will improve with years.

And I disagree with 'not good with the ball at his feet'. He is awesome, even in tight spaces ball sticks to his feet. Till date in the most of games he played, he was very comfortable in possession even when marked by 2 players and he has good vision to pick passes that none of his teammates can see. (All this in reserves only, so I'm not sure if he can do it at highest level as league is altogether different game)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Just on the strikers, all our transfer talk is about our cm and a replacement for evra and rightfully so as they need to be sorted this summer but if we sell berbatov we are only left with 3 first choice forwards...

Fergies always said you need 4 strikers, if we get kawagra and hopefully another cm and a left back , we'd hardly have enough in the kitty to replace berba ?

I can't see Fergie making 4 big signings tbh..I think even 3 is optimistic.

The requirement for 4 strikers would be based on playing 2 in the vast majority of games in a 442 formation. I personally think the attempt to sign Sneijder last summer and the, hopefully, success of signing Kagawa this summer indicate that we are moving away from the 442 formation towards a 451/433 formation. In this formation we would obviously only have the one striker, so 4 senior strikers is too many.

I imagine we'll use, mainly Kagawa off Rooney but also have the option of playing Rooney in the deeper role with Chico or Welbeck up top. Welbeck could also be deployed in one of the attacking wide positions and Young or Nani could play the central '10' role if required as well.

If we were to sign Powel, as has been heavily rumoured, he could be used in the '10' role as well, being one of the positions he has played in a good bit, as well as playing up front, so adds to our depth in both positions.

Basically, I don't think there will be a need for 4 senior strikers this coming season, which is why I don't think we will replace Berbatov with a striker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I worry for Chico tbh, because unless he drastically improves his link up play I think he'll be deployed mainly as a super sub.

I worry for Chico tbh, because unless he drastically improves his link up play I think he'll be deployed mainly as a super sub.

that is the fate i see for him. not really because of his link up play, but because I do feel Kagawa and Rooney will be the first choice pairing.

On the other hand, I think the passing I have seen Kagawa display, in terms of vision, creativity and weighting, Chico could have a freaking field day getting on to through balls from that lad (if he can stay onside while attempting to do that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I haven't seen Kagawa ever, but I think Welbeck is a cracking prospect, better than Chicho, and should definately be first choice with Rooney. Kagawa, as I understand it, is a creative midfielder, who plays on the wings or through the center. The center thing wont work until he can play as part of a 2, because Rooney effectively plays at the top of a three. In which case, he'll be on the wings.

PHB wrote: »
    I haven't seen Kagawa ever, but I think Welbeck is a cracking prospect, better than Chicho, and should definately be first choice with Rooney. Kagawa, as I understand it, is a creative midfielder, who plays on the wings or through the center. The center thing wont work until he can play as part of a 2, because Rooney effectively plays at the top of a three. In which case, he'll be on the wings.

Or United are going to change tact, and not play with two strikers.

Kagawa would be ineffective as a 442 wide midfielder and a disaster in the central two - could play on the wing in a free(er) role such as Ronaldo got (but with a bit more defensive responsibility), which still means one up top imo, or as the third central midfielder, so still one up top.

I'd be fairly surprised if we signed Kagawa and didn't play him off Rooney, with both Welbeck and Chico on the bench (or Welbeck in a wide position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Will Keane out for 6-9 months with a torn Acl. Bad news for him

that will be a season lost to him - a hammer blow at this stage of his development. Could have real and long last repercussions on his career.

Very sad news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Very ****, seemed to be making great great strides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

Reports this morning that Kagawa will be signed next week.

However, Japan are involved in WC qualifiers until the 12th, so can't see that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Macca07 wrote: »
    Reports this morning that Kagawa will be signed next week.

However, Japan are involved in WC qualifiers until the 12th, so can't see that happening.

I suppose club representatives could fly over to get the contract signed, and then do the unveiling once he's finished with qualifiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Chico scored the winner for Mexico in their 2-1 win over Bosnia last night.

He has some record at international level, 24 goals in 35 apps.

TheTownie wrote: »

was the beneficiary of possibly the worst defending I have ever seen. Comical stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

TheTownie wrote: »

Was on the bench wasn't he ? Can't even get a start for them now .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

was the beneficiary of possibly the worst defending I have ever seen. Comical stuff.

Jesus,Bosnia looked liked they were in holiday mode when they played our lads last weekend but now they are just taking the piss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

DB21 wrote: »
    I suppose club representatives could fly over to get the contract signed, and then do the unveiling once he's finished with qualifiers.

Supposing there is no value in the airline ticket market??!!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Is that Rey Mysterio in the crowd about 5 seconds into the video :pac:? Dunno how you could go to a match wearing a Lucha Libre mask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

That'll be on blooper shows for years.

Anyways, he still had to put the ball in the back of the net, which is what Chico does best.

I don't think we'll replace Berba. I think it will be a variant of 4-2-3-1. With Rooney, Chico & Welbeck capable of playing up front. Kagawa, Rooney, Young capable of playing just behind that. Valencia, Nani, Park, Young, Kagawa capable on the right, and Nani, Young, Kagawa, Park capable on the left.

We're quite flexible. You could make a lot of possible combinations with those options. I'd have a great deal of confidence in that attacking set of players, except Park.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

So United will basically start the season with the same number of attackers. Simply swapping Berbatov for Kagawa.

that should leave plenty of games to go around. Hopefully the option Kagawa brings will see Rooney getting the chance to have a rest during the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Yea, or let Rooney concentrate on playing a much more advanced role and not having to worry about dropping back to link up the play...

Was listening to talksport the other day and among the drivel they had a south American football 'expert' on, aparently we have a first option on a young Chilean striker called Angelo Henriquez. Meant to have impressed against us in a youth competition a year ago. He's broke through at Universidad de chile (sp, I'm on phone) and meant to be a serious prospect. Very highly rated. Could be noting. It interesting none the less. Anyone know anything about him!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Can see Macheda being used as a fourth choice now.

He still has something to offer IMO, and if he changes his attitude cane have a nice career at OT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

awful for him and he must be sickened to the core right now.

its another serious injury at the club and again raises questions about our medical set up. i am doing my coaching badges at the moment and last week met up with a fitness coach for the FAI who is involved with a few clubs also. he put it simply -

"any non-impact injury means i am not doing my job. my job is to identify potential weakness in a player and to design an individual programme to ensure that each of them avoid injuries. when i hear of a player getting a tear, it sickens me". summed up for me perfectly..

2 of the last 3 seasons, our squad has been decimated by injuries.serious questions need to be asked of our medical teams now.

Fenix wrote: »
    Yea, or let Rooney concentrate on playing a much more advanced role and not having to worry about dropping back to link up the play...

Was listening to talksport the other day and among the drivel they had a south American football 'expert' on, aparently we have a first option on a young Chilean striker called Angelo Henriquez. Meant to have impressed against us in a youth competition a year ago. He's broke through at Universidad de chile (sp, I'm on phone) and meant to be a serious prospect. Very highly rated. Could be noting. It interesting none the less. Anyone know anything about him!?

From what I have seen of Kagawa, he loves getting into striking positions - very like Lampard in terms of wanting to score, positionally. So while I think we will see Rooney starting further forward, I would think the plan would be to allow him to roam around, and have Kagawa either feed him or push on, along with 2 from Nani, Young, Valencia and Welbeck, giving us a more fluid attacking approach.

With regards to Henriquez, there is certainly interest from United. He has been on trials with us two or three times. He has spoken of his desire to sign for us and that he has been told to continue working hard at UdC, and that a move could come in a year or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Some conditioning expert, raymond verheijen, I think it was, said that too many English teams use the same training regiemes for every player. I'm not saying MUFC are guilty of this but if it is indeed endemic in the English game it's shocking.

its another serious injury at the club and again raises questions about our medical set up. i am doing my coaching badges at the moment and last week met up with a fitness coach for the FAI who is involved with a few clubs also. he put it simply -

"any non-impact injury means i am not doing my job. my job is to identify potential weakness in a player and to design an individual programme to ensure that each of them avoid injuries. when i hear of a player getting a tear, it sickens me". summed up for me perfectly..

2 of the last 3 seasons, our squad has been decimated by injuries.serious questions need to be asked of our medical teams now.

I thought it was an impact injury? Thought his knee was caught and twisted in a tackle, as Vidic's was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I thought it was an impact injury? Thought his knee was caught and twisted in a tackle, as Vidic's was.

hmmm dunno, its still a tear that could have been avoided with better conditioning.

as you mention him, i wonder will vidic be back for start of season?

DB21 wrote: »

Pretty certain we'd like him to complete some sort of a medical before we actually sign him!

Pretty certain we'd like him to complete some sort of a medical before we actually sign him!

Why bother - Saha, Hargreaves and Owen passed theirs, clearly not that rigorous a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Useless formality when players like Owen, Hargreaves can pass them.

I think in last season or 2 player was signed and had medical when he was with National team. Forgot who it was.

Why bother - Saha, Hargreaves and Owen passed theirs, clearly not that rigorous a test.

I honestly think Saha took the p!ss with his injuries, a lot of rumours were circulating that any slight niggle and he would say he was injured.

Hargreaves always had dodgy knees.

Owen probably only had to walk a flight of stairs to pass his medical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

A torn ACL is not neccessarily down to a weak cruciate you know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement