Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lukekul wrote: »

the reality is he was released 12 months ago. i cant for the life of my know why he didnt get another club this time last year. maybe he was too greedy, couldnt get a contract and stayed for the wages, who know.

PIG is a decent keeper, not top class, but decent to be back up for united for 5 years and he never let us down.

he should find a club no bother, as should owen, though owen has injurys holding him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Manchester United star Nani has confessed he could quit Old Trafford.

Nani said he could leave after five glorious years, as talks over a new contract appear to have hit a deadlock.

The 25-year-old winger said: “I have had five seasons at Manchester United and have won all the titles.

"Now I am really happy, but I don’t know about my future.

"Now I will study opportunities. Football is not only about England or Spain. It is possible to enjoy success in other countries.

“My agent is waiting on news about United. We have presented a counter-offer and now we are waiting on an offer from the club.”

It will be a huge blow for United to see the future of a player who also claimed he is alongside fellow Portugal international Cristiano Ronaldo as one of the best in the world thrown into doubt.

Nani’s warning comes on top of them missing out on the Premier League title on the final day of the campaign.

The winger told Portuguese television station RTP: “It was a great pain to miss the Premier League title in the final minutes of the match. City were incredible with their luck.

“I can only hope that this Euro Championship is my Euro, and I am working hard for that with Portugal.

“My challenge is to be the best, be the number one and show that on the field.

"Myself and Cristiano make up two of the best wingers in the world and our statistics for our club show that.”

Contract antics or something serious? Would be a huge blow if we lost him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Honestly, if asked to rank wingers in the order I'd least like to see them go, it goes...

Valencia > Young > Nani

If we lose Nani, it would be rough, but if we took the money and reinvested it in a cheaper, young up and comer to play as backup to the other two, I would live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Honestly, if asked to rank wingers in the order I'd least like to see them go, it goes...

Valencia > Young > Nani

If we lose Nani, it would be rough, but if we took the money and reinvested it in a cheaper, young up and comer to play as backup to the other two, I would live with it.

Id have nani ahead of young, and would hate to see him leave, hope it's just contract antics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Valencia > Young > Nani

Yeah, well in terms of talent it goes..

Nani > Valencia > Young.

Selling Nani would be absolute madness, it sounds like he wants to stay so we should be doing all we can to make sure that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Tie Nani down to a long term deal please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I would HATE to see Nani leave! I couldn't stand him when he started out playing first but he has become such a key figure for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Let me explain why you are wrong.

Firstly:

Let's ask Roy if he considered Carrick over Henderson on the stand by list.

I don't understand which part of that you don't get? It couldn't be clearer. He did not choose Henderson over Carrick, as Carrick told him, he didn't want to be a bit part player.

Secondly:

Again, I call bullsh!t. Let's ask the FA's spokesperson:

Not sure what part of that could possibly leave you in any doubt whatsoever.

I just don't understand why you have to blatantly make stuff up, and then have the cheek to call Carrick "pathetic" and compare him to a 7 year old. It is borderline trolling.

Thanks for that, like I said and you reiterated; he wanted to play but only on his terms. That is a petulant seven year old. The guy did little to displace Gerrard, Lampard, Parker and Barry and as I also said Carrick himself must have doubted his ability to dislodge those players. None of what you have said there absolves Carrick's behaviour.

Also selective quoting, does not an argument make. You can give context to anything that way. And you haven't explained why I'm wrong. I'm happy to leave it at that you have your OPINION I have mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Nani on the right, Young on the left should be our starting wingers. Both flexible and can play fluid football.

Samich wrote: »
    Nani on the right, Young on the left should be our starting wingers. Both flexible and can play fluid football.
    No.

No.

Yes. Valencia is a cult hero, not a world beater. Nani on the right is world class sometimes.

Yes. Valencia is a cult hero, not a world beater. Nani on the right is world class sometimes.
    Nani and Valencia are our best wingers, our best wingers are the same wingers who should be starting.

Saying Valencia is a "cult hero" is absolute fúcking nonsense tbh, he's up there as one of the best wingers in the world, even with his lack of left foot.

Nani and Valencia are our best wingers, our best wingers are the same wingers who should be starting.

Saying Valencia is a "cult hero" is absolute fúcking nonsense tbh, he's up there as one of the best wingers in the world, even with his lack of left foot.

I disagree. You're under rating Nani on the right.

It has to be Val right and Nani left.

• Advertisement

It has to be Val right and Nani left.

Nani is about 50% as effective on the left as on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He is in his hoop.

Pro. F wrote: »
    He is in his hoop.

Any time he's been in his great form he's played on the right

Any time he's been in his great form he's played on the right

Not true. His first patch of consistent great form came on the left for the second half of the season a few years ago.

He's better on the right for sure but is better on the left than Young is.

Ill say it again, Nani is our best winger and cant be left out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I basically watched the whole video saying what a great assist, fantastic goal, great run etc... and was gonna post it here about some of his best assists and goals, but then i realized I was saying it for over half the goals!!

Again, nonsense. Initially he was poor on the left, but in the last couple of seasons once he gets a run of games, he's almost as good as he is on the right, and far far better than Young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It's a myth that Nani is far better on the right. He's just played there for us on far more occasions that he has done on the left.

I can think of plenty of games where Nani has impressed greatly on the left. Bayern at OT in 09/10 when he scored 2 goals springs to mind.

He played there at home to Wolves this season and scored 2 goals and got an assist. Got 2 assists there against Fulham away and came on as a sub on the left at Wigan away and was our most threatening player, plus scored against Villa from the left as well. Was our left winger against Everton in the 4-4 and scored a lovely goal plus weighed in with another two assists.

Far less effective on the left? Sorry, the evidence just does not support that theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Throw the money at Nani and tie him down on a 6 year contract. He is indispensable. Best winger by far and one of our few world class players. Not paying accordingly would be madness.

Blatter wrote: »
    It's a myth that Nani is far better on the right. He's just played there for us on far more occasions that he has done on the left.

I can think of plenty of games where Nani has impressed greatly on the left. Bayern at OT in 09/10 when he scored 2 goals springs to mind.

He played there at home to Wolves this season and scored 2 goals and got an assist. Got 2 assists there against Fulham away and came on as a sub on the left at Wigan away and was our most threatening player, plus scored against Villa from the left as well. Was our left winger against Everton in the 4-4 and scored a lovely goal plus weighed in with another two assists.

Far less effective on the left? Sorry, the evidence just does not support that theory.

He's never been given a proper run on the right. He's played more on the left.

Well Valencia won't be starting if Fergie is planning a 4-2-3-1 formation this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

He's never been given a proper run on the right. He's played more on the left.

Well Valencia won't be starting if Fergie is planning a 4-2-3-1 formation this season.

Over the last two season Nani has played more games on the right and he has been given plenty of proper runs there. Did you miss the start of the season? He must have started around 8 games in a row on the right. 2010/2011, Valencia was out for several months and Nani played almost exclusively on the right then as well.

Statistically (goal and assist wise), Nani is not far less effective on the left.

Valencia won't be starting in a 4-2-3-1? Do you have a crystal ball? You couldn't possibly know that. Valencia will start his fair share of games next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Blatter wrote: »
    Over the last two season Nani has played more games on the right and he has been given plenty of proper runs there. Did you miss the start of the season? He must have started around 8 games in a row on the right. 2010/2011, Valencia was out for several months and Nani played almost exclusively on the right then as well.

Statistically (goal and assist wise), Nani is not far less effective on the left.

Valencia won't be starting in a 4-2-3-1? Do you have a crystal ball? You couldn't possibly know that. Valencia will start his fair share of games next season.
    I think he is referring to Valencia's poor performances last season in a 4-5-1 or 4-2-3-1 formation, he tended to drift further in field rather than sticking to the touchline.

No I think Valencia is one dimensional and isn't flexible enough to play the 4-2-3-1.

The day of wingers for the most successful teams is gone, crosses from the touchline aren't sure enough to score goals. Most crosses get cleared, defenses are tighter these days so you have to make the most of when you have the chance to score. Possession in and around the penalty area is where the danger is.

Nani and Young are 2 players who can deliver a tight knit pass and have good dribbling skills so I hope it's Nani and Young who start as 2 of the 3, if it's the formation Fergie is going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Samich, did Valencia ride your missus or something? You seem extremely against him starting despite him having been one of our best players this season.

He may have no left foot, but what a right one he has. Left-backs may know what he is going to do but he often makes shyte of them anyway, devastating when on form and I do think he'd be fine in a 4-2-3-1 formation next season.

First choice wingers should be Valencia and Nani, no doubt about it. Nani can play left and right just as brilliantly.

No I think Valencia is one dimensional and isn't flexible enough to play the 4-2-3-1.

The day of wingers for the most successful teams is gone, crosses from the touchline aren't sure enough to score goals. Most crosses get cleared, defenses are tighter these days so you have to make the most of when you have the chance to score. Possession in and around the penalty area is where the danger is.

What a load of nonsense. The day of wingers is anything but gone. And wingers don't have to be flexible to play in a 4231. Plenty of five man midfields have used touch-line hugging out-and-out wingers down the years and right up to today.

The idea that all the successful teams are giving up crossing is hilarious.
    Edit: Also :D at the idea that defences are tighter these days

• Advertisement

shrewdness wrote: »
    Samich, did Valencia ride your missus or something? You seem extremely against him starting despite him having been one of our best players this season.

He may have no left foot, but what a right one he has. Left-backs may know what he is going to do but he often makes shyte of them anyway, devastating when on form and I do think he'd be fine in a 4-2-3-1 formation next season.

First choice wingers should be Valencia and Nani, no doubt about it. Nani can play left and right just as brilliantly.

Valencia is over rated, talk of him being one of the best wingers in the world? I don't think he is.

He's never been linked with a move to a massive european club like most other players as far as I know.

All quiet, players who seem like genuine nice people seem to be rated higher. Nani thinks he's good so he's not as likeable as Valencia.

How many goals have been scored directly from a Valencia cross from the wing acutally? I don't know.

What a load of nonsense. The day of wingers is anything but gone. And wingers don't have to be flexible to play in a 4231. Plenty of five man midfields have used touch-line hugging out-and-out wingers down the years and right up to today.

The best teams in Europe don't have wingers crossing the ball from the sideline any more.

The ones who do have both an excellent crosser, ie Bale, and a man to head them in, i.e Adebayor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Valencia is over rated, talk of him being one of the best wingers in the world? I don't think he is.

He's never been linked with a move to a massive european club like most other players as far as I know.

All quiet, players who seem like genuine nice people seem to be rated higher. Nani thinks he's good so he's not as likeable as Valencia.

How many goals have been scored directly from a Valencia cross from the wing acutally? I don't know.

Valencia, though I think Nani is better is not overrated. It's pure drivel to say so. Valencia is better than Young who has carved a career by being better on the left than the right despite being right footed. A poor man's Nani is Young and though Nani is a better all round player than Valo, Valencia has some attributes that are extremely useful for a top class winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Real Madrid were in for Valencia at the same time as United. They even put the first bid in for him supposedly.

Anyway, does signing for United not pass for being linked to a massive European club these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

The best teams in Europe don't have wingers crossing the ball from the sideline any more.

The ones who do have both an excellent crosser, ie Bale, and a man to head them in, i.e Adebayor.

I agree there is a tendency to move away from traditional wingers with the likes of silva and mata and hazard, but talkin of the top European sides and mentioning spurs isn't going to do any favours to help you win this debate.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Valencia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Young. Valencia and Nani should be the main wingers in the team. Rather simple choice I would have thought.

I'm a sad panda :(
    If Sigurðsson is not a Swansea player then I expect that he is exempt from this agreement. Sigurðsson for < £10 million would be better than Modric @ £30 million, even Modric at < £10! :pac:

Modric is a CM. Sigurdsson is an AM. If I were a United supporter, I'd want the former moreso.

Liam O wrote: »
    Valencia, though I think Nani is better is not overrated. It's pure drivel to say so. Valencia is better than Young who has carved a career by being better on the left than the right despite being right footed. A poor man's Nani is Young and though Nani is a better all round player than Valo, Valencia has some attributes that are extremely useful for a top class winger.

Young had a great first season I think, was great at the start. Got injured and then got us loads of points at the end.

Got vital penos v Villa and QPR, scored v Swansea too.
    VW 1 wrote: »
    I agree there is a tendency to move away from traditional wingers with the likes of silva and mata and hazard, but talkin of the top European sides and mentioning spurs isn't going to do any favours to help you win this debate.

Spurs were possibly the only team who cross in from the wings, and doesn't that favour my argument ;)

By ''any more'' what you are actually saying is ''right now''. And by ''the best teams in Europe'' you are actually talking about a tiny number of teams, like Barca, Madrid and Bayern.

Watch the Euros and you will see plenty of the top teams with wingers who cross it. Or wait a season or two and you will have seen plenty of teams getting to the later stages of the CL with wingers who cross it.
    So is Valencia not an excellent crosser, or Rooney or Hernandez not excellent at heading crosses in?

Fùcking loads. No wonder you think he is overrated if you have been paying that little attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Using them as an example favours your argument alright, but saying the top sides in Europe and going on to use spurs as one of those teams (when they've been in the tournament once in the last how many years?) isn't quite accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

shrewdness wrote: »
    Samich, did Valencia ride your missus or something?

TBF, if that happened to my better half, I'd be proud :pac:

Edit: 900th post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

This belittling of Valencia is fcuking pathetic.

markc1184 wrote: »
    Real Madrid were in for Valencia at the same time as United. They even put the first bid in for him supposedly.

Anyway, does signing for United not pass for being linked to a massive European club these days?

I was referring to when he has been at Utd. Hasn't been linked with any club as far as I can remember
    By ''any more'' what you are actually saying is ''right now''. And by ''the best teams in Europe'' you are actually talking about a tiny number of teams, like Barca, Madrid and Bayern.

Watch the Euros and you will see plenty of the top teams with wingers who cross it. Or wait a season or two and you will have seen plenty of teams getting to the later stages of the CL with wingers who cross it.

So is Valencia not an excellent crosser, or Rooney or Hernandez not excellent at heading crosses in?

Fùcking loads. No wonder you think he is overrated if you have been paying that little attention.

The Euros don't decide what players they have though like club teams.
    Also yes, Rooney and Hernandez aren't known for their heading abilities.

Is it just a coincidence then that the best teams right now don't play with touchline wingers?
    VW 1 wrote: »
    Using them as an example favours your argument alright, but saying the top sides in Europe and going on to use spurs as one of those teams (when they've been in the tournament once in the last how many years?) isn't quite accurate.

As I said already there isn't a better team in England who plays with wingers like Spurs do and a big fella up front.

Anyways, it's only my opinion. No ones opinions really matter on here anyways. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Our Pea is a fairly decent header-er of the ball.

The big footballing super powers have plenty of players to choose from. But if that isn't good enough for you, as I said you can wait a few seasons and by then you will have seen plenty of teams reach the later stages of the CL with wingers who cross it.
    Yes they are. What the fúck planet have you been living on for the last few seasons?
    Is it just a coincidence then that the best teams right now don't play with touchline wingers?
    You need to do some googling on Sample Size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

I was referring to when he has been at Utd. Hasn't been linked with any club as far as I can remember

Most of the time when players are linked to big clubs, it's because they're angling for a pay rise and their agent is putting them in the shop window to force our hand.
    Uhh, yeah they do?
    You need to watch more of our games if this is actually your opinion.

Pretty much yeah, Barca's front men are tiny and much better with the ball at their feet, and have the best players in the world to put the ball at their feet, so why cross?

Real have great dribblers aswell, and Ronaldo who can score from almost anywhere on his day.
    As I said already there isn't a better team in England who plays with wingers like Spurs do and a big fella up front.

United do.
    Anyways, it's only my opinion. No ones opinions really matter on here anyways. :)

That's just a cop out tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

-Ade- wrote: »
    Modric is a CM. Sigurdsson is an AM. If I were a United supporter, I'd want the former moreso.

I don't think Modric is worth the supposed 30 million. I think it's the central attacking midfielder that United lack most of all.

I think that Carrick does a good job as a defensive midfielder and along with a great defence, United have been typically solid at the back.

They lost the league on goal difference only so if they had a central midfielder adding even 10 goals, plus assists, plus ball retention, to the already enviable choice of wide players in Nani, Valencia and Young along with the also enviable choice of forwards in Rooney, Chico and Wellbeck, then United really would be in great shape. Especially if they have better luck with injuries than last season (and City have worse :pac: ).

City paid around 25 million for Yaya and he is much more versatile and effective than Modric. I would see paying 30 million for Modric as a sign of desperation and terrible value for money (also poor scouting :pac: ).

Considering the money paid for Yaya, although his wages are huge, and the price mentioned for Sigurdsson for Swansea to make it permanent, 7.5 million, I think Modric should be valued at easily under 20 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Valencia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Young. Valencia and Nani should be the main wingers in the team. Rather simple choice I would have thought.

My only gripe is that Nani on the left <<<< Young on the left imo.

But there is absolutely no reason why they can't all get a fair amount of games considering the amount of games United play in a season, shouldn't need to sell one of them really so I don't even know why it's being discussed, I'd hate to see nani or Valencia leave.

I completely agree here tbh, he has developed into more of a complete midfielder since going to spurs, but it can't be forgotten that he was an AM at dinamo and played very well in that position scoring 17 goals and getting 12 assists in his final season.

I would take Modric in a heartbeat, capable of playing as a more attacking MF if carrick is in the team, and when he's not, he's well capable of covering the defensive duties and has great ball retention and a good eye for a pass, would love to see him at the club.

30m may seem alot, but for a versatile player like him who is solid on both feet, definitely wouldn't have a problem with it, wages shouldn't be too much of an issue either as he can't be on that much at spurs imo!

edit - Regarding the video, I really hope we don't make a balls of that transfer, and if we managed to get modric and kagawa, I would be a very happy panda :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Would hate to see Nani leave, he is superb talent. Technically best player we have (along with Scholes). He is just not a traditional winger, he is much more than that. Very good goal threat too.

We can't afford to lose anymore quality players if we want to compete for trophies at highest level.

Still rumours doing the rounds that PSG are going to put a bid in for Rooney for stupid money.

Now, being absolutely 100% realistic and ignoring whether or not you want him to stay or go, would UTD let him go if they were offered 100m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Still rumours doing the rounds that PSG are going to put a bid in for Rooney for stupid money.

Now, being absolutely 100% realistic and ignoring whether or not you want him to stay or go, would UTD let him go if they were offered 100m?

Yeah i would sell him for 100 million,30-50 million would pick up a decent replacement.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement