Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nani is United's second best player. When him and Rooney are on form United are unstoppable. Nani has carried the team through games both this season and the last 2 I'd say that he has only had one poor season out of 4 (2008/9) and even in that season he had some great games and his downfall was more to do with playing time than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Paul Tergat, agree completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's really 4411. United, for just one example, have made it work both as an attacking and a defensive formation over the years. It's the players that really matter. I think the difference between what is called 4411 and 451 is so small as to be negligible.

Yeah but I think if you go with 2 'holding' centre mids in 4411 then one of them shouldnt be Gerrard.

Pro. F wrote: »
    It's really 4411. United, for just one example, have made it work both as an attacking and a defensive formation over the years. It's the players that really matter. I think the difference between what is called 4411 and 451 is so small as to be negligible.

The system england are playing could be called 4-4-1-1 but not 4-5-1. It's much closer to 4-4-2.

Anyway, sorry for the England talk in the United thread lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Great finish by Wellbeck, young looks fairly decent in that position behind the striker. Wonder why Fergie never gave him a try behind wazza ?

Great finish by Wellbeck, young looks fairly decent in that position behind the striker. Wonder why Fergie never gave him a try behind wazza ?

I reckon its cause Rooney has a better influence playing in that role and it means we can play Welbeck or Chicho up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Enjoyed Fellaini's performance, his ability to move into more advanced positions when needed, thought he outshone Parker and Gerrard.

Great seeing Nev on the sidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

G.K. wrote: »
    The system england are playing could be called 4-4-1-1 but not 4-5-1. It's much closer to 4-4-2.

The difference between a striker dropping deep and a central midfielder pushing forward in support is negligible imo. Put players who are good enough on the ball in to that 4411 and it would look a hell of a lot like a normal 451 when in possession. Defensively the shape is 442, but that is as much a function of defending deep as it is of the formation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Dembele was class with the ball, he was at fault for the England goal but apart from that he rarely gave ball away and kept going past players with ease. Would love to see him at United.

But the striker wasn't dropping deep until Rooney came on, and went to the deep role.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

G.K. wrote: »
    But the striker wasn't dropping deep until Rooney came on, and went to the deep role.

Well Rooney is the best option in that role, he's always going to take up better positions than Young and link the play up better when he does drop deep.

Both Welbeck and Young were willing to come looking for the ball so there would have always been a link man there if the midfield had players who were capable of stringing a few passes together rather than just being athletes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Was that Dembele that lost the ball for Welbeck goal ?

Was that Dembele that lost the ball for Welbeck goal ?

Yeah Welbeck put the pressure on him, spun off and Young picked him out well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Watching Northern Ireland and thinking how in name of God was Roy Carroll a United keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Quality goal from Nani tonight for Portugal. He's very clinical when he gets in these situations.

I'm glad to see him get a chance at a major tournament. He was very unlucky before the last WC to get injured. As long as he doesn't score against Ireland he's grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Watching Northern Ireland and thinking how in name of God was Roy Carroll a United keeper.

I remember watching United and wondering how the hell Carroll was a United keeper.

Nani taken off with Injury.

Hope not serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Quality goal from Nani tonight for Portugal. He's very clinical when he gets in these situations.

I'm glad to see him get a chance at a major tournament. He was very unlucky before the last WC to get injured. As long as he doesn't score against Ireland he's grand.
    You realise this is your fault...
    Nani taken off with Injury.

Hope not serious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

They quote SAF when it wasn't SAF who said it... :rolleyes:

scaled.php?tn=0&server=532&filename=tajczr.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Full size..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

Being honest even if it were true I would not pay those prices. Especially Baines.

I like to get Baines, but £20m? Get out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

They quote SAF when it wasn't SAF who said it... :rolleyes:

scaled.php?tn=0&server=532&filename=tajczr.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Full size..
    "Admitted an Old Trafford source" :rolleyes:
    Phrases like that instantly render an article as bolloxology.

It boils my blood to see people invent this stuff and try and qualify their "quotes" with some generic term that absolves them of repercussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Valencia currently playing vs Argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Just getting back to reality now after my lovely break in the sun, for the record, in my world the last day of the season never happened as I was on a plane during the games and have refused to confirm these rumours I have been hearing about the last few minutes of a certain match.

Now, have we signed Dembele yet? Played a good game again tonight, my mentioning of him here ages ago seems to have been picked up by the press who obviously read boards and I saw us being linked to him on SSN, Hazard to Chelsea also? Surprising happy if that were the case, didnt really want him near the club after all his talk (and Im not just saying that, feel free to check my posting history, I have said it before :)) but didnt really wanna see him join City either

Also some plank in an "irish bar" (english owned, english staff, english bar) told me Nani is on his bike also, dont believe it of course, I just assume his contract is being negotiated and its the usual stories that circulate in those times.

Has there been any transfer activity? Besides players being released, and tough luck to Will Keane who has ruptured his cruciate, terrible blow for the lad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United pretty much agree a deal for Kagawa with Dortmund so need to sort a deal with the player.

Scholes officially signed a new one year deal. It was said during the end of season awards himself and Giggs would be having their last seasons next season. Valencia won every award going at the awards and broke into a huge smile (In his head anyway).

Owen and PIG officially released.

United linked with about 40 players at this point and resulting in plenty of fantasy team posting.

Also you missed out on the sell Rooney? Sell Nani? who is better Nani or Valencia? Carrick is ****/really important, Evra is useless and what sort of formation will we have next season talk.

Thats good about Kagawa, hopefully a deal can be done for him so, not absolutely sure he is the perfect fit, have to wait to see how he would be intended to be used I guess and see how that affects the likes of Welbeck and Hernandez, has a deal been put in place for Berba yet then no?

No more about the Benfica winger either really I take it, thankfully! Have enough wingers :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

No word on Berbatov yet other than he wants/expects to leave.

No talk of Gaitan at all lately.

Kagawa is busy with Japan games at the moment so it will take a bit of time to finish that deal off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Did Bob Cass not get lynched by SAF last summer for doing something similar? You'd think he'd learn a lesson. Suppose that's a journo for you though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

@kryogen there was some guy called hazard floating around the market :P

@kryogen there was some guy called hazard floating around the market :P

I was 100% sure he would end up at City, they must not actually want him that bad if he is not going to end up there I guess, though maybe Chelsea have some extra wiggle room regarding the FFP rules,with the departures of Drogba and Kalou.

The sun reporting Vidic will be back to full training next month.

Thank fu*k , best cb in Europe IMO. Evans has improved a lot though in his absence , will be interesting to see who will partner vidic. I dont think rio was great last season at all tbh, shouldn't be guaranteed a starting place.

Speaking of rio , if Cahill is ruled Is rio next in line on stand by ? Interesting with the whole jt v Anton thing.

Really? I thought Rio was fantastic this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I dont think rio was great last season at all tbh

I'm genuinely wondering if you pull random names out of a hat every so often and decide to criticise them for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

I thought Rio was done with the back injury he was having.

But thank f**k he came through most of this season for us. Hopefully he has a good rest and comes back fitter then last season for us. Him and Vidic should be able too wrestle the title back on their own. (Not taking anything away from Evens at all) but Vidic its hard too argue against the guy, the Rio Vidic combo is perfect.

Rio was immense last season. Why is not in the England squad actually? From a United point of view I'm happy, but on form he should be there, is it just down to the Terry allegedly abusing his brother thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I'm genuinely wondering if you pull random names out of a hat every so often and decide to criticise them for no reason.

In fairness, Rio and Vidic were a great pairing because Vidic could handle the aerial side of things. Rio handled the ground stuff with his pace being a huge assistance. He's not getting younger and Vidic isn't the quickest. There will be a drop in performance somewhere along the line and if he keeps starting it'll only cost the team.

• Advertisement

Samich wrote: »
    In fairness, Rio and Vidic were a great pairing because Vidic could handle the aerial side of things. Rio handled the ground stuff with his pace being a huge assistance. He's not getting younger and Vidic isn't the quickest. There will be a drop in performance somewhere along the line and if he keeps starting it'll only cost the team.

Maybe we should leave him there until there actually is a drop in performance? It would seem fairly pointless to stop playing him now just because somewhere down the line he will drop his performance level.

He was very good this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Both Terry and Cahill are struggling, getting scans tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Why do posters quote mufcboy1999.

Its clear that he was brought up in a year of absolute joy that nothing else compares. So why indulge him of his stupidity that it would go on forever?

Yes i had moments of madness but feck me if had his moments of madness id be looking at signing myself in.. Crazy.

He was suppose to lead the backline with experience , I taught he was pretty bad alongside evra down that left hand side. Evans caught a lot of flack for rio IMO.

Obviously there's always going to be people defending all our players here, i expected it but I think it was pretty obvious rio was well below par last season, taught Evans really out shined him in the latter part of the season too. I don't think Iv ever seen a season where rio made so many mistakes aswell the obvious loss of a yard or 2.

The media was hounding him during the season, Fergie even came out and said he has to adapt, he was pretty desperate lads to be fair, England seem to think similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Maybe we should leave him there until there actually is a drop in performance? It would seem fairly pointless to stop playing him now just because somewhere down the line he will drop his performance level.

He was very good this season.

Good season for Rio but I hope to see Vidic and Smalling nailing down those positions, its nothing against Evans, Jones or Rio, its just a measure of how highly I rate Smalling.

tvercetti wrote: »
    Good season for Rio but I hope to see Vidic and Smalling nailing down those positions, its nothing against Evans, Jones or Rio, its just a measure of how highly I rate Smalling.

Me too, Smalling is the next Rio as I see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

mufcboy1999 -

“Taught” is the past tense and past participle of “to teach”. Example: “I was taught by my brother.”

“Thought” is the past tense and past participle of “to think”. Example: “He thought that this book cannot be read by younger pupils.”

Pretty basic stuff really.

user2011 wrote: »
    Why do posters quote mufcboy1999.

Its clear that he was brought up in a year of absolute joy that nothing else compares. So why indulge him of his stupidity that it would go on forever?

Yes i had moments of madness but feck me if had his moments of madness id be looking at signing myself in.. Crazy.

Because just like you the majority that post here are biast naive know it alls with opinions set in black & white. The footballing world outside their club is non existent. Rio was gettin slated for a fair few shocking performances this season because imo he clearly struggles without vidic. His own manager came out and said it what more do you want.

Also I think it should be noted out of the big 3, Utd are the only ones signing and bringing through top Britis talent, which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see Clyne or Powell signed.

Jones
    Smalling
    Cleverley
    Welbeck
    Rooney
    Scholes
    Carrick
    Evans

8 players who will have a big part to play next season, and 6 of those with long term futures.

Arsenal have Ox, Walcott and Wilshere

Chelsea have Cahill, Bertrand??,

City have Hart, Richards, Lescott (he's pushing on is he?)

Because just like you the majority that post here are biast naive know it alls with opinions set in black & white. The footballing world outside their club is non existent. Rio was gettin slated for a fair few shocking performances this season because imo he clearly struggles without vidic. His own manager came out and said it what more do you want.

When was he getting slated exactly? Examples?

Alex Ferguson never once came out and said Rio was bad. You just make it up as you go.

mufcboy1999 -

“Taught” is the past tense and past participle of “to teach”. Example: “I was taught by my brother.”

“Thought” is the past tense and past participle of “to think”. Example: “He thought that this book cannot be read by younger pupils.”

Pretty basic stuff really.

The grammar police are out, Try not to get to bum hurt by my posts.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement