Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I can't believe people are using betting odds to say whether the league is "in the balance." Watch the football for crying out loud...

I have been watching the football. City have been **** and are dropping points left right and centre, have tough games coming up and are probably going to be 5 points behind tonight. United have easier fixtures and will pick up more points.

i already explained this but used betting odds to further emphasise because the kew tour persisted with his 'in the balance' nonsense.

kryogen wrote: »
    The league is still in the balance, anybody over the age of 12 or who has been following football for more then 3 weeks or so would be aware of this.

United are 2 points ahead of City. with 8 games to play and City have 7. Especially paying attention to the fact that both teams meet again in the league it is ludicrous to come to the conclusion that the league is not still in the balance.

no, 'in the balance' is something that is very tight and hard to call.

That's not the case. United are firmly in the driving seat and City are really up against it.

Only a 12 year old would think otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

and that is a very unlikely scenario but if that did happen then the title would be back in the balance. it'd be ok to say that then.

what's much more likely to happen is united winning their next two games and city dropping points at Arsenal.

city are playing ****e, have difficult fixtures and will probably be 5 points behind tonight.

United have much easier fixtures, have a probable 5 point lead and only a few games to go.

It's a long shot for City to win it. don't pretend otherwise. the title is most certainly not in the balance as things stand right now.
    I have been watching the football. City have been **** and are dropping points left right and centre, have tough games coming up and are probably going to be 5 points behind tonight. United have easier fixtures and will pick up more points.

i already explained this but used betting odds to further emphasise because the kew tour persisted with his 'in the balance' nonsense.

For a guy who thinks United have pretty much won the league I expect you to come up with a something bit more stronger then making your own assumption.

Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

Em, because leagues are not won in a bookies?

Em, where did I say they were?

Bookies odds are mostly a good indicator of how likely something is to happen. I was just using odds to back up my opinion, not to form it ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Are you 22 as your username could suggest? if you are then surely you are very new to the sport?

For a guy who thinks United have pretty much won the league I expect you to come up with a something bit more stronger then making your own assumption.

Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

lol

The league isn't 'in the balance'.

United are strong favorites. Just accept it, you should be happy. :)

Are you 22 as your username could suggest? if you are then surely you are very new to the sport?

What has age got to do with it?

I know its possible that City could still win it, i'm not saying united have already won it. upsets happen in football.

I'm just disputing that its still in the balance.

it's not. United are firm favorites.

I really don't see how people are struggling to get such a simple point.

no, 'in the balance' is something that is very tight and hard to call.

That's not the case. United are firmly in the driving seat and City are really up against it.

Only a 12 year old would think otherwise.

United being in the driving seat and City needing to play catch up does not mean it is not still in the balance. Your argument is ridiculous and and answering you further would only validate it in some strange way so...........

Enjoy thinking a 2 point gap is huge and best of luck with your future.

It has just occured to me that he doesnt actually know what in the balance means, that must be it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What has age got to do with it?

I know its possible that City could still win it, i'm not saying united have already won it. upsets happen in football.

I'm just disputing that its still in the balance.

it's not. United are firm favorites.

Our poor form of late at least has moved Willy into this thread for a while...there's always a bright side to everything!

• Advertisement

United being in the driving seat and City needing to play catch up does not mean it is not still in the balance. Your argument is ridiculous and and answering you further would only validate it in some strange way so...........

Enjoy thinking a 2 point gap is huge and best of luck with your future.

But its not just a two point gap is it?

it's a two point gap with a game and hand, the fixture list favors United and the momentum is with them while City are imploding.

In the balance my arse.

lol

United are strong favorites. Just accept it, you should be happy. :)

Of course im happy, but will I be happy after tonight or at end of season? Sure your not even confident yourself and have said so and I highlighted both cases.

If only your theory was that simple, but im glad it's not, cause that's what football and sport should be about at times. The unpredictability of it all.

I thought Ireland were packing their bags to go home after 91 minutes against Germany, I thought Bayern had their 4th European Cup coming into injury time in CL final in 99. I thought we were home and dry winning the league in 94/95 and 97/98 seasons. Like I said I have seen and learned too much from previous seasons to think title is won and your theory does little to change my mind.

Of course I just hope this season there are none and it's a clear passage through to number 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

*insert Liverpool joke here*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Our poor form of late at least has moved Willy into this thread for a while...there's always a bright side to everything!

Yeeeeaaaaa .

Someone else can suffer him for a while .

It has just occured to me that he doesnt actually know what in the balance means, that must be it.

roll out your definition for it then.

to me it would mean that both teams have a very similar chance and it's a very difficult call to make.

that's clearly not the case as United have the much better chance.

But its not just a two point gap is it?

it's a two point gap with a game and hand, the fixture list favors United and the momentum is with them while City are imploding.

In the balance my arse.

How is coming back in 3 consecutive games imploding? Yes they should be winning the league, but even since January they still second highest points scorers in the PL.

Imploding?? it's far from it.

Of course im happy, but will I be happy after tonight or at end of season? Sure your not even confident yourself and have said so and I highlighted both cases.

If only your theory was that simple, but im glad it's not, cause that's what football and sport should be about at times. The unpredictability of it all.

I thought Ireland were packing their bags to go home after 91 minutes against Germany, I thought Bayern had their 4th European Cup coming into injury time in CL final in 99. I thought we were home and dry winning the league in 94/95 and 97/98 seasons. Like I said I have seen and learned too much from previous seasons to think title is won and your theory does little to change my mind.

Of course I just hope this season there are none and it's a clear passage through to number 20.

I never once said upsets dont happen. Of course they do. City could still win the league but my whole point is that it's a long shot for them to do it as things stand, as you had suggested otherwise with your 'in the balance' statement.

How is coming back in 3 consecutive games imploding? Yes they should be winning the league, but even since January they still second highest points scorers in the PL.

Imploding?? it's far from it.

They have 5 points out of their last 4 games and are playing poorly. They were 3-1 down at home to Sunderland in the 85th min of a game, in a title run in. And now they have arsenal away.

If they have't technically imploded yet, they are sure as hell on the verge of it.

I never once said upsets dont happen. Of course they do. City could still win the league but my whole point is that it's a long shot for them to do it as things stand as you suggested otherwise with your 'in the balance' statement.

"In the balance" statement.

Christ what have I done, but put 2 half pages of utter tripe on what "in the balance" is

I'm still waiting for you to back up your points though?

Or have you not got a clue what your talking about?

• Advertisement

"In the balance" statement.

Christ what have I done, but put 2 half pages of utter tripe on what "in the balance" is

I'm still waiting for you to back up your points though?

Or have you not got a clue what your talking about?

WTF? :confused:

I've already backed up my points around 3 times at this stage.

City playing poorly, probably 5 points behind, fixture list favouring united as well as momentum being with them, and i even threw in the bookies odds to further emphasise.

They have 5 points out of their last 4 games and are playing poorly. They were 3-1 down at home to Sunderland in the 85th min of a game, in a title run in. And now they have arsenal away.

If they have't technically imploded yet, they are sure as hell on the verge of it.

OK OK wow wow wow............. hang on a second now.

Ok so you have practically been having a laugh at my "in the balance" comment and yet, (and it's the funny bit) you come along and then talking about imploding, but not actually technically imploding just yet.

You could not make this up!!!!

City playing poorly, probably 5 points behind, fixture list favouring united as well as momentum being with them, and i even threw in the bookies odds to further emphasise.

that word alone does not back up sweet FA

OK OK wow wow wow............. hang on a second now.

Ok so you have practically been having a laugh at my "in the balance" comment and yet, "and it's the funny bit) you come along and then talking about imploding, but not actually technically imploding just yet.

You could not make this up!!!!

jesus, now you're cherry picking things I posted to try and deflect away from the fact that you were talking out of your arse.

'in the balance'...lol.

Im out now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

jesus, now you're cherry picking things I posted to try and deflect away from the fact that you were talking out of your arse.

Obviously learning from the master;)

'in the balance'...lol.

Im out now.

Im gutted:D

• Advertisement

that word alone does not back up sweet FA

How did I use that word alone? I clearly used it in conjunction with other points.

At the start of the season you could say United will PROBABLY finish ahead of Liverpool because they have better players.

yet in your world, that can't be used to back anything up because it has the word 'probably' in it.

anyway, goodluck.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Obviously learning from the master;)

can I ask who he supports? Never read Liverpool thread.

Apparently Chelsea - but I'm not sure even he knows for sure:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Paddy Power would shorten the odds on United to stop people lumping on and also lengthening on City top get people on the actuion there.

It is a barometer but not the barometer. The fact is United lose tonight (and it is possible) then the league is definitely 'in the balance'.

United have on paper the easier run-in but United have also made hard work of some teams they would traditionally have rolled over at home.

In favour of United, They have been really good away from hom this year as opposed last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

It's still very much in the balance. By the time City plays again, they could be 8 points behind or just 2 points behind with a game in hand depending on how United's next two matches goes. United have a spotty record at Ewood park over the years while their opponents on Sunday morning just beat Arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

lol

I know its possible that City could still win it

In the balance means it go either way, which you just admitted, it's a fairly simple expression, how do you not grasp it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

This is one of the most peculiar arguments ive ever read on boards.

With a 2 point gap with 9 (8 for City) games to go... Yes, the league is still "in the balance".

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    This is one of the most peculiar arguments ive ever read on boards.

With a 2 point gap with 9 (8 for City) games to go... Yes, the league is still "in the balance".

:confused:

Those saying it are doing so cause they know it puts them in a win-wins situation.

- we dont win the title and they are delighted

- we win the title and we get 'told you so, im not a complete and utter mong'

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

lads will got ye all so good, i count 7 or 8 little fishies... wp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I didn't really read much of the above argument, seems silly, of course the league is still in the balance.

Can't believe the amount of attention given to that guy, me included. It was quite evident from early on that he had no clue what he was talking about. God love him, been a **** season's viewing as far as he's concerned. And in fairness, if anyone knows what a team imploding looks like it's a Chelsea fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Hes unbelievable.

Always gives 100%, never see him complaining, has no problem tracking back, pulls magic from no where. Forget who said it last week, someone form Sky I think, but the job of playing right back playing behind him, must be one of the easiest jobs in the world. ****ing legend.

Antonio-Valencia-Juventus-20121.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Someone posted a class valencia video recently...anyone got a link to it?

12 minutes ago I was freaking out, now happy as pig in ****.

great result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fúcking love Valencia.

Special mention for Big Dave as well, some really good saves tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

A nervous wreck for 80 minutes, Valencia is a tonic :)

Special mention must go to our super Goalie at moment..

Been outstanding this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

i m posting from the away end in blackburn, its fúcking mental here!!!! Valencia is a hero!

n32 wrote: »
    i m posting from the away end in blackburn, its fúcking mental here!!!! Valencia is a hero!

jealous...have great time

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

Nice one mate. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Keep the singing up ye are unf**king real.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

De Gea has been awesome except for few games. Him, Valencia have been unreal in the last few games. Long may it continue.

Re Valencia, I think he is the leading assist chart despite missing so many games. He is a machine. He does everything on the right flank, from fullback to winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

We're lucky to have such a great squad of players. Considering the injuries we've had this season I think this will be Fergie's best ever league title - if we manage to go on to win it ofc!

City are gonna feel very demoralized now going to the Emirates next week. Lets hope the Arsenal can take at least 2 points off them.

Massive 3 points for us tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

I have a football related erection after that. So, so sweet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement