Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

That win, ah. It's brilliant. It's pure experience by Utd not to panic. 0-0 at 80 mins and all the pressure, they knew it would come eventually :)

If we don't lose to City I can't see us losing the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

jameshayes wrote: »
    Scholes elbow]

That was disgraceful... How that wasn't given as a red card is beyond me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Elbow
    He did get booked?
    I thought Webb missed it completely.
    So that's 2 incidents he seen and gave out the wrong punishment.

Also imaging if Lindegaard didn't get injured, we'd probably be all talking about DDG and how much he cost. He's a ridiculously good shot stopper, seems to have massive spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

The last time Liverpool won the league Apples and Blackberry's were just fruit....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Aly Cissoko's agent:
    “Aly wants to play in the Premier League because he feels it suits his game,”
    “He has already turned down interest from AC Milan and Juventus because he wants to move to the Premier League and his preferred destination would be Manchester United.”

He was very impressive when he played against us at OT for Porto. Haven't watched him play since but heard he is not better than what we have got. Good offensively and poor defensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Transfers :eek:
    Think I'll cancel the broadband and sky sports for the Summer. :D
    I don't be a newspaper anymore so at least that's 1 less avenue for them to get me from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

niallo27 wrote: »
    Even after going 5pts clear at top and winning another championship, your still laughing at Liverpool.

Fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What do ye make of this transfer rumour,Utd mking a move for James McClean in the summer,its in the The Star today,cant see it happening

http://www.joe.ie/football/football-news/james-mcclean-is-on-which-premier-league-giants-shopping-list-0023001-1

I really like McClean and think he's a very good player for us, but I wouldn't have thought he'd done near enough yet to get seriously looked at by Manchester United.

We all know that if Manchester United want him he'll be gone, and it would explain us trying to buy the sell on clause from Derry City, but it will be interesting to see how it develops as O'Neill won't stick around long if we keep selling our better players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

s_carnage wrote: »
    That tackle he made late into the second half was unreal. Would love to see a gif of it. We could have easily been 1 down there and instead a few minutes later Valencia blasted home. Ahh, I love this game!!!

Your wish is my command.

iQLYI0zuZjKYr.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Betfred are the first bookies to pay out on United winning the title. Still 7 games to go. Big move from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Great result last night and hopefully now United can go eight in front on Sunday. Thankfully it was a much better team performance overall, than the rubbish played against Fulham. Ashley Young's strike was particularly sweet and De Gea once again made several fine crucial saves.

I could never understand the irrational logic some had when they used to criticise De Gea. The kid has shown his class and really has had an excellent first season in the PL. City would undoubtedly have the title wrapped up by now, if it wasn't for some of the magnificent saves he has made for United since his return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mars Bar wrote: »
    iQLYI0zuZjKYr.gif

Just looking at Evra there, don't break your back covering the back post anyway Paddy!

Samich wrote: »
    Also imaging if Lindegaard didn't get injured, we'd probably be all talking about DDG and how much he cost.

No i dont think we would - there's a suggestion that de Gea was rested over the christmas period as opposed to being dropped, and maybe there's some truth in that.

I firmly believe that de Gea was alway the no.1 keeper, even taking into consideration the couple of mistakes he made. Granted those mistakes may (MAY) have persuaded the manager to rest/drop him (whatever you wanna call it) more often than he had intended.
    de Gea is the superior goalkeeper imo, his shot stopping and kicking/distribution are outstanding, and other aspects of his game in which he wasn't so obviously proficient (crosses, communication) has significantly improved - Eric Steele et al have obviously been working on this a lot.

Think we have a keeper - pun intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Trilla wrote: »
    Just looking at Evra there, don't break your back covering the back post anyway Paddy!

Nothing new there.

I don't think Mclean is good enough for Man Utd at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't think Mclean is good enough for Man Utd at the moment.

it is the age old question though.

You sa he isn't good enough yet - but if the opinion of the powers that be at United is that he will be, do we wait until he is good enough and spend twice or three times as much on him then.

We could have bought Carrick for a couple of million when Spurs bought him, paid 16million a few years later. Spent twice as much on Berbatov because we didn't move quickly enough when Spurs signed him (we were, apparently, in for him at that stage).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should sign him - I would be of the opinion that we should see how he does next season. He is new to the league and while that can result in the player themselves struggling, it can also mean oposition players and teams don't focus on him, so he has more freedom to play. I would like to see how he does against teams who have a bit more knowledge on how to combat him. On the other hand, if United see the promise in him, and we can get him for around 10million (a small fee in United terms) then it is possibly worth the gamble - a genuine left winger is something United lack and a year training with and learning from Giggs could be excellent for him too.

I do imagine it is just paper talk. United probably have scouted and discussed him, but I would be shocked if United don't scout and discuss hundreds of players over a season. A left winger currently getting it done in the PL is obviously someone we are going to take a look at, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Long time since utd haven't had a rep of ireland international on their squad... be a good buy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Long time since utd haven't had a rep of ireland international on their squad... be a good buy!

8 months is a long time?

If any sunderland player is worth looking at for United, it's probably Sessignon.

• Advertisement

it is the age old question though.

You sa he isn't good enough yet - but if the opinion of the powers that be at United is that he will be, do we wait until he is good enough and spend twice or three times as much on him then.

We could have bought Carrick for a couple of million when Spurs bought him, paid 16million a few years later. Spent twice as much on Berbatov because we didn't move quickly enough when Spurs signed him (we were, apparently, in for him at that stage).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we should sign him - I would be of the opinion that we should see how he does next season. He is new to the league and while that can result in the player themselves struggling, it can also mean oposition players and teams don't focus on him, so he has more freedom to play. I would like to see how he does against teams who have a bit more knowledge on how to combat him. On the other hand, if United see the promise in him, and we can get him for around 10million (a small fee in United terms) then it is possibly worth the gamble - a genuine left winger is something United lack and a year training with and learning from Giggs could be excellent for him too.

I do imagine it is just paper talk. United probably have scouted and discussed him, but I would be shocked if United don't scout and discuss hundreds of players over a season. A left winger currently getting it done in the PL is obviously someone we are going to take a look at, at least.

From what I understand they let Berba go to Spurs as they wanted to see how he did in the PL first.

I think Mclean has done very well. He's really direct and agressive but I don't know.

Would you rather Mclean for 10 million or Bale for 40 million? (don't know Bales valuation)

Des wrote: »
    8 months is a long time?

If any sunderland player is worth looking at for United, it's probably Sessignon.

I love Sessegnon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

8 months is a long time?

n.

Gibson was in the squad even less than 8 months ago

From what I understand they let Berba go to Spurs as they wanted to see how he did in the PL first.

I think Mclean has done very well. He's really direct and agressive but I don't know.

Would you rather Mclean for 10 million or Bale for 40 million? (don't know Bales valuation)

Bale - I'd spend 4 times more on Bale, without question or thought, because Bale is brilliant right now and you can be far more certain about what you are getting.

Valencia on the right and Bale on the left? ....where is that Randy Marsh 'ecotoplasm' pic....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Can't see the Mclean story being anything more than speculation.

I've seen a good bit of him this season and he's been impressive for Sunderland at times. Very direct and a decent left foot.

Don't see the potential in him to be a player of United standards though but maybe the United Scouting team see something in him.

I'd be very surprised if he was a target.

Bale - I'd spend 4 times more on Bale, without question or thought, because Bale is brilliant right now and you can be far more certain about what you are getting.

Valencia on the right and Bale on the left? ....where is that Randy Marsh 'ecotoplasm' pic....

I personally wouldn't touch Bale for the money required to get him. We have two better and more consistent wingers than him at the club already.

• Advertisement

KevIRL wrote: »
    Gibson was in the squad even less than 8 months ago

yeah but he's from NI ;)

8 months is a long time?

I love Sessegnon

Superb player. He's the best player I've ever seen in a Sunderland shirt (talent-wise) and it will be very difficult to keep hold of him this summer.

Lots of reports that he's homesick though, although others will tell you his family moved over to Sunderland a few weeks, so it's hard to know what to believe.

That said, there's no way O'Neill is going to let Short sell two of our better players in McClean and Sessegnon, and I do think that Sessegnon has bought into O'Neill and what he's trying to do with Sunderland, so maybe we will keep him for another year?

Again we're faced with the problem that if a Manchester United wants him that it's virtually impossible to keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

sessegnon is class, Sunderland will have a job keeping him this summer

Don't see the potential in him to be a player of United standards though but maybe the United Scouting team see something in him.

I'm always unsure on this topic.

If you had have said you don't see him being world class, or a similar comment, I could certainly understand where you are coming from.

However, this issue of 'United standards' is not something I can get my head around in all cases.

As you say yourself, regarding Bale, we have two consistent wingers already at the club. So, we are signing another winger it would likely be as a backup to what we have already rather than a replacement. We'd be looking for a, possibly, 4th choice. We'd be looking for a new Jesper Blomqvist.

McClean, based on what I have seen so far, is certainly good enough for that role and possibly has the potential to be far better than that over the coming years. At 10/12 million, for example, he'd be a great addition to the squad and most of the time that is what a signing needs to be. If we were looking at spending 40million on him I would have a different opinion altogether but at a relatively low fee I can certainly see the up sides and reasons for doing it.

I would gladly have him on the left wing instead of Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

8 months is a long time?

no, as in there has almost always been an irish international on the squad, the last time without was a long time ago

• Advertisement

I'm always unsure on this topic.

If you had have said you don't see him being world class, or a similar comment, I could certainly understand where you are coming from.

However, this issue of 'United standards' is not something I can get my head around in all cases.

As you say yourself, regarding Bale, we have two consistent wingers already at the club. So, we are signing another winger it would likely be as a backup to what we have already rather than a replacement. We'd be looking for a, possibly, 4th choice. We'd be looking for a new Jesper Blomqvist.

McClean, based on what I have seen so far, is certainly good enough for that role and possibly has the potential to be far better than that over the coming years. At 10/12 million, for example, he'd be a great addition to the squad and most of the time that is what a signing needs to be. If we were looking at spending 40million on him I would have a different opinion altogether but at a relatively low fee I can certainly see the up sides and reasons for doing it.

I would gladly have him on the left wing instead of Park.

Yep, I can accept your reasoning here. Whether that's a role he would be willing to accept is another question!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

A left-footed attacker could really add something to the team, it gives a greater number of option in terms of attacking formations and outlets, but McClean would be a big risk. Next season will tell us weather or not he is the playing people are hyping him up to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Who would be possible targets from premierleague teams this summer, or would there be any?

Cabaye, Tiote, Hoilett, Dembele, Sessegnon, McClean, Fellani, Baines are a few names that have floated around.

Yep, I can accept your reasoning here. Whether that's a role he would be willing to accept is another question!?

That would be an issue alright - but if he was a target of any big club in the summer he would have the same issue anywhere else.; which is why he may stay at Sunderland despite any interest from elsewhere.

What you can say though, is that even as 4th choice, it would be very likely he would get good game time. United rotate a lot - and if McClean plays well enough to deserve the LW spot, he will get it.

All baseless speculation really though - but I wouldn't be surprised if a left wing option was on our list of signings for the summer. We may not get one, depending on other potential signings, but I can see AM, CM, LW, LB all being looked at for potential summer buys.

Trilla wrote: »
    Who would be possible targets from premierleague teams this summer, or would there be any?
    Cabaye, Tiote, Hoilett, Dembele, Sessegnon, McClean, Fellani, Baines are a few names that have floated around.

Was thinking about this this morning.

Who was the last African who played for United?

I think Ferguson avoids them because of the disruption the ACN causes.

I think Mikel is the last one he even attempted to sign.

Djemba-Djemba?

Fortune would have been the last one to play for us, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Fortune would have been the last one to play for us, I think.

Manucho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

tJw07.jpg

Jeez - all these Africans I'm forgetting. Feel a bit like Luis Suarez.

• Advertisement

The ACN is on again in January 2013 so I'd imagine that will completely rule out Fergie signing an African player this summer.

Jeez - all these Africans I'm forgetting. Feel a bit like Luis Suarez.

heh

I do think united have had proportionally less Africans than the other teams around them like Chelsea, Arsenal, now Man City.

Paully D wrote: »
    The ACN is on again in January 2013 so I'd imagine that will completely rule out Fergie signing an African player this summer.

is sessignon African?

is sessignon African?

He's from Benin, methinks

Didnt realise Sessegnon was nearly 28!!!!

is sessignon African?

Yep, he's from Benin. The amount of times I've heard commentators, pundits etc refer to him as French has been a joke though!

he's 28?

Ferguson/United won't touch him then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

8 months is a long time?

Yes please.

he's 28?

Ferguson/United won't touch him then.

27, but he'll be 28 before the new season starts. Signed for £6.5m and will have 3 years left on his deal. That's the other thing that we have going for us, bigger clubs won't be too enamored about paying £12m-£15m for a 28 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Wonder what chance does Valencia have of getting FWA player of the year, would say Van Persie nailed on for PFA one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement