Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

Paully D wrote: »
    27, but he'll be 28 before the new season starts. Signed for £6.5m and will have 3 years left on his deal. That's the other thing that we have going for us, bigger clubs won't be too enamored about paying £12m-£15m for a 28 year old.

Why? He's in his prime, will be in his prime for another 2-3 years, possibly 4 if he is lucky.

Zidane was 28 when he moved to Madrid for over £45 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Why? He's in his prime, will be in his prime for another 2-3 years, possibly 4 if he is lucky.

Zidane was 28 when he moved to Madrid for over £45 million.

That is Zidane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Paully D wrote: »
    The ACN is on again in January 2013 so I'd imagine that will completely rule out Fergie signing an African player this summer.

I believe it's on again in September 2012!

Or Not. I thought in the final it was mentioned that it would be less than a year. Must have got it arseways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

The user has a few more up. They were brilliant last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

*United end video*

The user has a few more up. They were brilliant last night.
    Great stuff, United traditionally bring a great support up to Ewood Park, probably because it's just a few minutes up the road, taking the train through Bolton and all that. Here's a video I took last year of Rooney's penalty that won No. 19. Mental.

http://vimeo.com/23776600

T'is a bit shakey, I wasn't watching were I was aiming it obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Only been to one away game all year. Cant make next week, but I am bloody tempted to maybe try sneak in the City game, that's if my Uncle or friend can swing a ticket which is 50/50.

I would have given up weeks wages just be there last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I would have given up weeks wages just be
    there last night.

Me too. Going over to the Villa game on the 14th. Looking forward to it and hoping for a good atmosphere. Stoke at home was the last one I was at. I'm taking VW1 seat as my mates are taking mine in the north stand.

Trilla wrote: »
    Me too. Going over to the Villa game on the 14th. Looking forward to it and hoping for a good atmosphere. Stoke at home was the last one I was at. I'm taking VW1 seat as my mates are taking mine in the north stand.

My only hope is City game. Cant get time off work for Wigan and weekend of Sunderland game I have an exam.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Des wrote: »
    Was thinking about this this morning.

Who was the last African who played for United?

Evra and Nani :D

... born there, but not African in football terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Its The One

Who, incidentally, is doing quite well at Hannover, 8 games 5 goals

• Advertisement

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Its The One

Where did that nickname come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

smokedeels wrote: »

It was hard to get excited about another above average young striker coming in so he got called the one as if he was some sort of messiah like player.

It would have been funnier if he was worse.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Nailz wrote: »
    Great stuff, United traditionally bring a great support up to Ewood Park, probably because it's just a few minutes up the road, taking the train through Bolton and all that. Here's a video I took last year of Rooney's penalty that won No. 19. Mental.

http://vimeo.com/23776600

T'is a bit shakey, I wasn't watching were I was aiming it obviously.

I actually remember you going to that match last year!

smokedeels wrote: »

The One? No one gave him that name. That is what he is called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

watching the United game from last night.

Do United have any central threat? really? Our game plan revolves completely on getting the ball wide and crossing it in, not chances created through the middle really.

I have no issue with a winger focused gameplan, but I have to think our wingers could be more productive if we had some other style of threat to offer. It obviously does work for us, but we are so completely reliant on our wide play getting us the goal, never look like getting it elsewhere.

Do United have any central threat? really? Our game plan revolves completely on getting the ball wide and crossing it in, not chances created through the middle really.

I have no issue with a winger focused gameplan, but I have to think our wingers could be more productive if we had some other style of threat to offer. It obviously does work for us, but we are so completely reliant on our wide play getting us the goal, never look like getting it elsewhere.

Good point.

You only have to look at the form Nani has been in to see this. When he plays well United seem to win and vice versa, even more so then Rooney from what I have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

When Rooney is played through the middle we have a threat down the middle, also I would bet that when Clev and Ando are fit and in the team there would be more of a threat also, but Fergie has always wanted his teams to play with width and attack with wingers, its just his philosophy to attack in that manner.

In fairness to him its worked for 20 years or so :)

A genuine central threat to compliment the wide men would be nice of course. But he seems to want his centre to be solid more then anything now, to be there to break up play from the opposition and distribute to the wingers to try to attack.

At the start of the season we were more creative through the middle I think - with Welbeck, Rooney, Cleverley and Nani combining well. I suppose you have to look at the team we had out last night; without Nani or Young we didn't have a winger coming in playing 1-2's, Valencia is a hug the line winger and we had no one on the left. Cleverley also not playing so we didn't have an AMC-type player on the pitch.

kryogen wrote: »
    When Rooney is played through the middle we have a threat down the middle, also I would bet that when Clev and Ando are fit and in the team there would be more of a threat also, but Fergie has always wanted his teams to play with width and attack with wingers, its just his philosophy to attack in that manner.

I think the link to Hazard (and his type of player) with the sale of Berbatov is linked to this, where we will replace Berbatov with an AMC and look to play the AMC off Rooney. This obviously impacts Chicho and Welbeck, but I think it is something Fergie is looking at.

For me at times we play a more 4-2-2-2 type formation then 4-4-1-1. We depend on wingers who push more forward then our 2 CM who sit back and pick up pieces with our 2 Full Backs coming into the attack to help out and also pick out more balls from crosses that don't find players in box.

Having someone like Fletcher made us play more centrally and having more variation, along with Cleverly this season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If his performance against City is anything to go by, I wouldn't mind if we went after Jack Colback for the LB position, although I realise that's not his natural position.

As for Bale, at Spurs can be amazing, at Utd I think he'd be world class. One Welsh left winger to replace another please.

• Advertisement

Bale would cost an arm and leg if we were to pursue our interest in buying him.

Spurs would look for 45million no doubt about it.

I think the link to Hazard (and his type of player) with the sale of Berbatov is linked to this, where we will replace Berbatov with an AMC and look to play the AMC off Rooney. This obviously impacts Chicho and Welbeck, but I think it is something Fergie is looking at.

Yeah I draw the same conclusion there, looking at a 433/451/4231

DDG
    Raf
    Smalling
    Vida
    Evra

Ando
    Carrick
    Valencia
    Hazard
    Nani
    Rooney

Or something to that effect would be pretty nice next season

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

DDG
    Raf
    Smalling
    Vida
    Evra

Ando
    Carrick
    Valencia
    Hazard
    Nani
    Rooney

Dude Ando and Carrick has never worked.

I still want Ando gone in the summer, he's a disaster. No heart or fight to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

If his performance against City is anything to go by, I wouldn't mind if we went after Jack Colback for the LB position, although I realise that's not his natural position.

As for Bale, at Spurs can be amazing, at Utd I think he'd be world class. One Welsh left winger to replace another please.

You then have 2 wingers who can play full back ;)

DDG
    Raf
    Smalling
    Vida
    Evra

Ando
    Carrick
    Valencia
    Hazard
    Nani
    Rooney

yep - thats the way I'm seeing it - especially for the bigger games, with Rooney up top and the two more 'holding' midfielders. In home games or games we are 'going for' I could see us playing the AMC in slightly more conventional role with Carrick sitting behind them and playing with Rooney & Welbeck/Chico.

At the moment we only have Rooney to play that withdrawn role as well, so signing an AMC (like Hazard, for the sake of discussion) would also mean we have some cover for Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Well lads, it's been 4 years since I was over for a game - January 2008 v Portsmouth - 'That' Ronaldo free kick.
    Was self-employed at the time, but haven't worked since early 2009 - poxy recession.

Anyway, just booked and paid for trip to the Swansea game on Sunday May 6th - last home game - and I am like an eight year old on Christmas Eve - it just cannot come quickly enough.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Dude Ando and Carrick has never worked.

I still want Ando gone in the summer, he's a disaster. No heart or fight to him.

Have to disagree there, Carrick and Ando could work quite well in a 3 man midfield, they have done before and there is no reason they could not play well together tbh.

I have nailed my colours to the mast about Ando already so no need for big discussion now, was simply using him as an example for the formation anyway, substitute him with whoever you would prefer there.

alproctor wrote: »
    Well lads, it's been 4 years since I was over for a game - January 2008 v Portsmouth - 'That' Ronaldo free kick.
    Was self-employed at the time, but haven't worked since early 2009 - poxy recession.

Anyway, just booked and paid for trip to the Swansea game on Sunday May 6th - last home game - and I am like an eight year old on Christmas Eve - it just cannot come quickly enough.

Should be a good one to be there for, enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Should be a good one to be there for, enjoy!

Oh we intend to - a group of 8 lads going over - staying the night before the game and the night of it. With the shower of 7 mad fcukers and myself, we should have a story or two to tell!

• Advertisement

Barca just piss me off. Waste a perfect opportunity then Milan give them a penalty by ****ing up a clearance.

Sorry, wrong thread I know, window was open though

It was strange that we persisted with plan A even though it took 80 mins to score. I think Scholes can still provide a threat from the middle, against the likes of Blackburn anyway, so maybe SAF told them to persist with the attacks from out wide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

alproctor wrote: »
    Oh we intend to - a group of 8 lads going over - staying the night before the game and the night of it. With the shower of 7 mad fcukers and myself, we should have a story or two to tell!

Love stories.:P

3 of my good friends went over for the Blackburn game at OT, two United fans and one Blackburn. The Blackburn fan got 8 A1s in his Leaving Cert which I think makes it all the better.:pac:
    Anyway, they had 2 rooms, the 2 United fans in one, and the BR fan on his own. The BR fan was absolutely locked the night the game was over and the lads tried to convince him to sleep on their floor so they could mind him, he was having none of it so went off to bed. Anyway, the 2 Utd fans woke up at 8 the next morning, had to be gone at nine. Went to find the BR fan, no answer from his door so they went down to reception and got a key and went in. Everything was in his room except him. They then spent a few hours searching the hotel and found him in an unoccupied room down the hall in just his boxers.:D They missed the flight home by a fair few hours and had to pay €200 each for a ticket home. Being the smartest cúnt I know doesn't disguise the fact that he's also the messiest drunk I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Hazards a winger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Just back home from Blackburn last night. Its rare enough that we ve managed to completely dominate possession as we did last night. That said we still need De Gea to make some stunning saves. I dont think many are questioning the wisdom of his transfer now! Evans is finally turining into the player he threatened to be when he came on the scene. He looks very composed coming out of defence with the ball.
    Chicharito was quite poor last night but Welbeck wasnt a whole pile better. What a game by Valencia, **** me he is something else. Its very rare you come across a winger who chases back the way he does when the attack breaks down. A few times in the 2 nd half we lost it on the edge of their box and he chased the Blackburn fella, dispossessed him and got us straight back on the attack. He is absolutely flying at the minute.
    Being in the away end last night was pure class. I ve been to a fair few away games bt the atmosphere was special last night. When SAF started saluting the fans after the 1st goal it got some reaction. Last night definitely had the feeling of clearing a serious hurdle . Its ours to lose now

Hazards a winger

I think he will develop centrally, and already has played there on occassion. I think he will be a player like Silva or Mata - starts on the wing and becomes a more central/free tormentor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Don't think it has been mentioned but Jonny Evans won the fans player of the month for March. It was tight. He got 47% of the vote and Rooney got 44%.

Thoroughly deserved in my opinion. He was immense at times at the back. His display against Fulham was probably his best that I've seen. He took charge of the defence at the end of the game when Fulham were dumping crosses into the box. And of course he supplied the pass for Wayne's goal.

It's great to see him get some form of recognition for his efforts. Hopefully he can keep up his good play. The trio of Jonny, DDG and Rio have been outstanding the last couple of weeks. Who needs Vidic :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Evans has been a beast in Fantasy Football the last few weeks, bringing in scores of 13, 12 and 7!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Who would have thought at the start of the season Evans would be in any contention for fans player of March never mind possibly the year (though I think Val will take that)?

We were contemplating him being shown the door as he was assumed to be behind Vidic, Rio, Smalling and Jones. I actually think there may have been one or two murmurs that he should have left over O'Shea.
    Credit to the lad he's really stepped up his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

baz2009 wrote: »
    Evans has been a beast in Fantasy Football the last few weeks, bringing in scores of 13, 12 and 7!

And another 6 the week before that. I got him in just after the Newcastle game at Christmas. 6 clean sheets, a goal and an assist since then. Outstanding play from him. He's the most in form player in the league as well at the moment. What a great man.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

No Trophy lift at City.

How sweet would it be to win the title the night we play City in their backyard... :D

• Advertisement

RVD420 wrote: »
    No Trophy lift at City.

How sweet would it be to win the title the night we play City in their backyard... :D

While that would be sweet, I would much MUCH prefer for it to be sorted out (in our favour) before then.

I'm hoping we win all our games leading up to that match, and for City to lose to Arsenal and then draw against either West Brom, Norwhich or Wolves. Which would put us 10 points clear going into that game (3 games to play).

A guard of honour a no chance of that game helping to lose the title for us then.

I don't think it will actually happen that way though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

While that would be sweet, I would much MUCH prefer for it to be sorted out (in our favour) before then.

I'm hoping we win all our games leading up to that match, and for City to lose to Arsenal and then draw against either West Brom, Norwhich or Wolves. Which would put us 10 points clear going into that game (3 games to play).

A guard of honour a no chance of that game helping to lose the title for us then.

I don't think it will actually happen that way though.

I think there'll be a twist in there somewhere,still it'd be great to walk out for the City game as champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

Ideally will be going there

· Getting a guard of honour
    · Needing a point to win the league
    · Needing 3 points to win the league
    · Be 4 points or more ahead

That’s what I’d like, in order of preference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

AposI0ICQAAMxki.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Nani tweeted the below earlier so seems to be back in action. Great to have such good options on the wings :)

Feeling good after these last training sessions and excited to be able to help the team in upcoming games. #chaseourgoal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Michael Owen to score the title winning goal at the Etihad, his last act before being put out to pasture :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Michael Owen to score the title winning goal at the Etihad, his last act before being put out to pasture :)

I think he is out to pasture as it is. We won't see him on the pitch again imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

jaykay74 wrote: »
    I think he is out to pasture as it is. We won't see him on the pitch again imo.

Probably right, Fergie was talking him up recently saying he had a big goal left in him, hard to see that happening though unless Chico & Welbeck both get injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Fenix wrote: »
    AposI0ICQAAMxki.jpg

i2SOQLsIJhnKG.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Wow I'm dizzy looking at that!! Imagine how the Blackburn lads felt!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement