Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Anyone know if Wednesdays Wigan game is on TV ,
    Sky have a live football special listed by no details ...

No, don't think it is. I think I remember seeing a local pub saying they have it but it's not on regular television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Anyone know if Wednesdays Wigan game is on TV ,
    Sky have a live football special listed by no details ...

it is not on tv according to ManUtd.com. QPR vs Swansea is the Sky game, Juventus vs someone else is the game on ESPN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

What I'd do for tomorrow is pick;

de Gea
    Rafael
    Smalling
    Evans
    Evra
    Valencia----Carrick
    Giggs
    Young
    Rooney

Welbeck

Then give Nani half an hour for Valencia (if we're comfortable, Young if the game is still in the balance) and Fabio for Evra also if we're comfortable, and/or Pogba/Cleverley for Carrick.

Then for Wigan I'd pick;

de Gea
    Rafael
    Evans
    Ferdinand
    Evra
    Valencia
    Carrick
    Scholes
    Nani
    Rooney

Hernandez

4 changes between the two games that shouldn't disrupt the team too much and keep them fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Blatter wrote: »

Then give Nani half an hour for Valencia (if we're comfortable, Young if the game is still in the balance) and Fabio for Evra also if we're comfortable, and/or Pogba/Cleverley for Carrick.

4 changes between the two games that shouldn't disrupt the team too much and keep them fresh.

Like your thinking there. Only thing I might change would be swapping Chico for QPR game and Welbeck for Wigan.

People seem be talking sense tonight.:D

Like your thinking there. Only thing I might change would be swapping Chico for QPR game and Welbeck for Wigan.

People seem be talking sense tonight.:D

:D

Nah, I'd play Welbeck v QPR for a couple of reasons.

1. QPR will park the bus so we will have to be patient and keep the ball moving. We all know Welbeck is much better at this as with Hernandez an awful lot of our moves break down because of his average build up play. Welbeck also didn't start the last game, so should be fresher.

2. Wigan generally play with a higher line, especially at home and will have a go at us. This suits Hernandez' game much better as he'll find it easier to run in behind them. He scored twice away to them last season as a result of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Y'all will just say to me 'not another winger!'...
    What would you think of selling Park & Berbatov for say 18m and replace them with Hoilett on a free from Blackburn.
    He can play as a second-striker and winger, and has the pace that the team is being shaped towards.
    He isn't top quality yet, but would make a good squad player. Then spend the cash on a central midfielder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Shy_Dave! wrote: »
    What would you think of selling Park & Berbatov for say 18m and replace them with Hoilett on a free from Blackburn.
    He can play as a second-striker and winger, and has the pace that the team is being shaped towards.
    He isn't top quality yet, but would make a good squad player. Then spend the cash on a central midfielder.
    I'm a fan of Hoilett.Up there with the best young talent in the EPL at the moment.
    I'd like to see him at United but only if we have a CM coming in with him.I'll do my nut if we sign a winger and no CM.

I had a dream the other night he signed for Barca and ran amok against us,I woke up thinking he was a bit of a bollox but by the end of the match I was playing meself and it was in Tesco carpark :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Good thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

:D

Nah, I'd play Welbeck v QPR for a couple of reasons.

1. QPR will park the bus so we will have to be patient and keep the ball moving. We all know Welbeck is much better at this as with Hernandez an awful lot of our moves break down because of his average build up play. Welbeck also didn't start the last game, so should be fresher.

2. Wigan generally play with a higher line, especially at home and will have a go at us. This suits Hernandez' game much better as he'll find it easier to run in behind them. He scored twice away to them last season as a result of this.

Welbeck has started a lot of our recent games and has been quite poor in most of them, Chico didn't have a great game against Blackburn but yet got himself into two great scoring chances with him fluffing one and hitting the post with the other, Welbeck hasn't being doing anything like that recently imo, he can hold the ball up well one minute then make a balls out of it the next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I really like Junior Hoilett. He is a dangerous young winger, if he was to come to United he could be a very useful player in the future if he was given time, I mean the same time Nani has been given, to develop into a top player.

Considering he would be on a free, paying maybe £2-3m in compensation, he would cost the same as Gabriel Obertan. I would like to see it to be honest.

Not totally unrealistic as well. Fergie will have noticed his enthusiastic displays against us and will likely be monitoring his situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

d22ontour wrote: »
    Welbeck hasn't being doing anything like that recently imo, he can hold the ball up well one minute then make a balls out of it the next.

Even though they are different players the exact same can be said for Chico. I suppose he hasn't got a decent run in the side though. I think their movement is both their strong points. Chico inside the box and Welbeck moreso outside the area. Its always a tough call who to pick.

d22ontour wrote: »
    Welbeck has started a lot of our recent games and has been quite poor in most of them, Chico didn't have a great game against Blackburn but yet got himself into two great scoring chances with him fluffing one and hitting the post with the other, Welbeck hasn't being doing anything like that recently imo, he can hold the ball up well one minute then make a balls out of it the next.

Welbeck was poor against Fulham alright (as were most of the team) but I though he played very well against both Wolves and West Brom in the previous games, albeit he was on the wing.

When we're camped inside the oppositions half, it can be very frustrating seeing attack after attack break down because of Hernandez. He gives the ball away a lot and when he does make a pass, it's usually the wrong option or he puts too much pace on it or not enough. You can tell that side of the game doesn't come naturally to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

He gives the ball away a lot and when he does make a pass, it's usually the wrong option or he puts too much pace on it or not enough.

Reading that part can be about either player in fairness, Danny has a lot to improve on regarding positioning imo, Chico doesn't retain the ball that well at times.
    Danny hasn't got the ability to make the space for chances just yet nor may he ever be as clinical as Chico when it comes to that positioning, possibly...
    He is unorthodox with his holding,releasing,shooting, someone said here before almost Kanu like which is kinda true, he does seem to have a lot of potential in many areas which would surpass Chico but i don't think he will ever be as ruthless in the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I would be of the opinion that Welbecks movement and position is very good actually, he gets himself in great positions, but he is not as clinical as he needs to be yet.

kryogen wrote: »
    I would be of the opinion that Welbecks movement and position is very good actually, he gets himself in great positions, but he is not as clinical as he needs to be yet.

I agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah Welbeck(address him by his proper title ya little bollocks :p) is only 21 so I wouldn't worry about much atm, seems to be the real deal imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Agree with this. Only thing that sets him apart from Hernandez for me is that he can pass, Javier is very poor at passing.

Can't wait till the game tomorrow, or this morning. Have a good feeling about it. Pretty confident Arsenal will at least get a point, hopefully 3 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Agree with this. Only thing that sets him apart from Hernandez for me is that he can pass, Javier is very poor at passing.

Can't wait till the game tomorrow, or this morning. Have a good feeling about it. Pretty confident Arsenal will at least get a point, hopefully 3 points.
    Welbeck with chicos clinical finishing would be something to behold!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭dahat

My son is at the game today with his school on his first school trip,1st year,just text me to say he is in the stretford end........:D
    Hope we get plenty goals for him and his classmates today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

So with Nani not involved today id say he will start against Wigan with Valencia on bench just to keep him fresh .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

So with Nani not involved today id say he will start against Wigan with Valencia on bench just to keep him fresh .

Don't be at that now. I've only just brought Valencia into my fantasy team. I need him to start on Wednesday to justify the transfer :(.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

dahat wrote: »
    My son is at the game today with his school on his first school trip,1st year,just text me to say he is in the stretford end........:D

My little brother's first game was Utd Vs Villa with Ronaldo (x2) and that Macheda goal. I rang him just after it went in. One of my fondest memories, he couldn't hear a thing i was saying. And all i could hear was the roar.

C'mon united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

What?!?!?!

When I was in school, a school trip was a ****ty bus to that poxy Dubvlinia Dublin-Viking expo in feckin temple bar. Now they go and see United?

Disgusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    What?!?!?!

When I was in school, a school trip was a ****ty bus to that poxy Dubvlinia Dublin-Viking expo in feckin temple bar. Now they go and see United?

Disgusted.
    Yea that or Clara Lara if you were really lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Photo Island sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

What?!?!?!

Disgusted.

I'm with you Mikey 5 trips in a row to the Brefni adventure centre in Cavan was as far as i got on school trips.

Delighted with the 3 points and the goal for Scholes, Raf and Carrick very unlucky and Welbeck should have done better.

Let's keep marching on, over to you city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

So...Arsenal, go beat City there.

Although he had almost nothing to do Jonny Evans was great again. His block in the first half after Rafael's mistake was vital. Then his calmness on the ball in the second half was great as well. He has the confidence now to look for the ball and step out of the defence like Rio used to do a few years ago. He played a bloody one two with Welbeck and very nearly got him in on goal at one stage.

The best for me was one stage when Carrick dropped short and Evans told him to get lost. He took on the ball and then 3 or 4 passes later there was a shot on goal. He has the confidence to tell other players to get lost because he knows he can do something that they can. This allows Carrick and Scholes or Cleverley to move into the centre and run the game in there.

5 clean sheets in a row as well. Our defence has been immense lately. Long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

5 Premier League clean sheets in a row now.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Yea that or Clara Lara if you were really lucky.

Jaysus fancy pants. Coca cola factory and glendalough were as good as it got for me.

Come on Arsenal!

lordgoat wrote: »
    My little brother's first game was Utd Vs Villa with Ronaldo (x2) and that Macheda goal. I rang him just after it went in. One of my fondest memories, he couldn't hear a thing i was saying. And all i could hear was the roar.

C'mon united.

My first game was against Spurs when Mendez 'scored' that goal. We were way up in the upper tier behind the goal so we couldn't fully see that it went over the line. We went back to the hotel after and I couldn't believe how lucky we were.

I've seen them about 5/6 times since then and thankfully I haven't seen them lose yet. I'm kind of a good luck charm :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

My first game was against Spurs when Mendez 'scored' that goal. We were way up in the upper tier behind the goal so we couldn't fully see that it went over the line. We went back to the hotel after and I couldn't believe how lucky we were.

I've seen them about 5/6 times since then and thankfully I haven't seen them lose yet. I'm kind of a good luck charm :P.

My first game aswel....conincidence!
    Was down at the other end and I could tell it was over the line, aswel as everyone around us.
    Remember an extremely raw Cristiano Ronaldo who simply ran up and down the line without ever touching the ball and getting a tongue lashing from one Roy Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

What?!?!?!

Disgusted.

I played St. Andrews in first year and Carnoustie in second year.:cool:

Never got to go to see United, though.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

My first game was Utd vs Crytal Palace in 2004
    We won 5-2, Scholesy with a debatable hat-trick and a very raw Rooney in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Mine was Sheff Wednesday in 93 :D

How can you not be hooked after that?

Mine was Sheff Wednesday in 93 :D

How can you not be hooked after that?

Was at that game too was about my 5th time at OT by then.

Hard to believe its 19 years ago now.

Man im old and the lack of hair proves it:pac:

Can't remember my first game very well. Was against Charlton in 2004ish. 2-0 and I think Van Nistelrooy and Giggs scored, not sure, though.

• Advertisement

And to make you feel older, I wasn't even born!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I was just gone 7 at the time so im still holding out for a few years being a pro footballer :o
    baz2009 wrote: »

ugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Mine was 1-1 against West Brom a few years ago, giggs free.

Best match was the CL game against Milan, Rooney with last minute winner, 3-2. :)

you forgot to mention your more mature then me too if some of my expoliots in soccer forum are to go by:pac:

*hifive for young people*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

My first United match was in November '94 for my 10th birthday. It was a 5-0 win against City with Kanchelskis scoring a hat trick. Still the only Manchester derby I've been to!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

I woulda been 6 at the time.

markc1184 wrote: »
    My first United match was in November '94 for my 10th birthday. It was a 5-0 win against City with Kanchelskis scoring a hat trick. Still the only Manchester derby I've been to!!

If I remember correctly that was on a thursday night of all nights...

markc1184 wrote: »

Solid 2 months old then. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

If I remember correctly that was on a thursday night of all nights...

Can't remember the day exactly but something was telling me Tuesday, you may be right though with the Thursday.
    G.K. wrote: »
    Solid 2 months old then. :pac:

Your only a child! lol

Back in our day there was no such thing as mobile phones or internet, now look what ye have:p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement