Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Giruilla wrote: »
    Since when did a right footed player, playing on the right wing, being able to cross with his left foot become such a magical thing???

Another reason I thought of was that he becomes a hindrance when playing with a 433 formation or something like that. Valencia is a traditional winger and gets chalk on his boots for the whole game. He is not able to cut inside and play one twos in the way that Nani and Young can.

Valencia is very predictable, but he is brilliant at what he does so he makes up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

That's a pretty silly post imo. People have sieves for brains. A few months ago Valencia was stink. He couldn't do anything. Nearly cost us a few games. At that stage Nani was the best player on the team. POTY up till Christmas. Then he got injured and Valencia stepped up to the plate.

Valencia would in my view be the best winger in the world without a shadow of a doubt it he was able to use his left foot. No amount of assists and tracking back can take away from the fact that if you show him onto his left foot and move him infield then he is almost useless.

Nani on the other hand is able to use both feet with an equal expertise. Show him onto his left and he'll plant one on Rooney's head no bother.

I can count on one hand how many times Valencia has passed the ball with his left foot this season. It's about 4 times.

His right foot is so devastating that it's a crying shame that he is so completely helpless when he is shown inside. I would be better at passing with my left foot than him.

At the moment he is the best winger in the league. I think though if Nani was fully fit and had a few months behind him then he'd be up there with Valencia, and possibly pipping him due to his increased goal threat.

Since when did a right footed player, playing on the right wing, being able to cross with his left foot become such a magical thing???
    He plays left wing if valencia is fit, duhhhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Another reason I thought of was that he becomes a hindrance when playing with a 433 formation or something like that. Valencia is a traditional winger and gets chalk on his boots for the whole game. He is not able to cut inside and play one twos in the way that Nani and Young can.

Valencia is very predictable, but he is brilliant at what he does so he makes up for it.

Same opinion. Theres nothing to make up for.. his overall contribution to the team is leagues ahead of what Nani and Young do imo. Awesome ball control, short passing, intelligence on the ball, power to get by opponent, outstanding defensive play... I just wouldn't even consider his apparent 'weak left foot' - which I don't even see - as hindrance. Can see him getting player of the season for utd.

You're awesome and you are fully aware of what is being discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

awful defensive play does not equal doesn't defend. Not such a hard concept to understand really.
    Now there are two things to laugh at you about:

1. Thinking that Nani is awful defensively.

2. Silly pedantry.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Now there are two things to laugh at you about:

1. Thinking that Nani is awful defensively.

2. Silly pedantry.

Laugh away.. through the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Awesome ball control, short passing, intelligence on the ball, power to get by opponent, outstanding defensive play...

This is Nani you are speaking of ? :D

Might ant to add is excellent on his other foot too.... ;)

You're awesome and you are fully aware of what is being discussed.

both statements made by me are accurate :)

Laugh away.. through the night.

Want the last word do you? Go on take it there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

It's scary to think how one dimensional he is but how he excels at it is staggering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I think he's remembering the Nani of old. Nani isn't selfish anymore. He's a great player, realising his potential at last.

And on Valencia, if we played v Barcelona he wouldn't be as good, nani would be a better option. But we don't play Barca so all's good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Samich wrote: »
    I think he's remembering the Nani of old. Nani isn't selfish anymore. He's a great player, realising his potential at last.

And on Valencia, if we played v Barcelona he wouldn't be as good, nani would be a better option. But we don't play Barca so all's good :)

Remember him in the CL final? Absolute shocker. Love him tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Remember him in the CL final? Absolute shocker. Love him tho.

He had a mare that night ,think it was mostly down to nerves,he was frozen with fear.

He had a mare that night ,think it was mostly down to nerves,he was frozen with fear.

The team didn't have enough of the ball for him to play his game. Vary hard for the wingers to do anything when the team can't keep a hold of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

8 points :)

Had way too much to celebrate tonight

Nani and val are our first choice wingers imo

Lets get #20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

8 points :)

We only need 11 points from the last 6 games assuming Man City win all their remaining games (which is unlikely on current form!) :)

We only need 11 points from the last 6 games assuming Man City win all their remaining games (which is unlikely on current form!) :)

If my pissed up maths is right 4 wins out of last 6 and we've done it

3 wins + not losing at City and we've done it

3 wins with one of them being beating City means we are there

Given our current form it looks good. Brilliant given that people were writing us off from Aug-Dec, talk of City being the best squad ever in the PL and worst United team to grace the league. Just gimme 20!!

If my pissed up maths is right 4 wins out of last 6 and we've done it

3 wins + not losing at City and we've done it

3 wins with one of them being beating City means we are there

Given our current form it looks good. Brilliant given that people were writing us off from Aug-Dec, talk of City being the best squad ever in the PL and worst United team to grace the league. Just gimme 20!!
    Your maths are correct I believe, aboy larkin boy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Im still buzzing from the results yesterday. I've had to listen to a lot of crap over the last few months about a powershift and how lucky United have been. But the last four weeks or so have been pure magic from SAF. We've been killed with injuries this year and missing one of the best CB's in the world and that makes it all the more sweeter :)

Powershift my arse. If they were giving out medals in Decemeber there'd be plenty of Arsenal and Liverpool lads walking around with them. For me the changing point of the season was this;

David-de-Gea-Manchester-U-007.jpg

Since then DDG has been incredible and probably saved us 6-8 points off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

David-de-Gea-Manchester-U-007.jpg

Its amazing what one moment like that can do to players confidence.

on side note is anyone else suffering a severe hangover?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Watched the youth team in the semi final of the AEGON comp. Some very tidy players at it. Sam Byrne looking better and better, hoping he can make reserves next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Man Utd Reserves lost to Coritiba 2-1 in the Dallas Cup Final. They were 2-0 down when Michael Keane got one back in the 72 minute.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Man Utd Reserves lost to Coritiba 2-1 in the Dallas Cup Final. They were 2-0 down when Michael Keane got one back in the 72 minute.

Also down to 9 men...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

DDG Wonder Save.jpg

Since then DDG has been incredible and probably saved us 6-8 points off the top of my head.

He has been brilliant for us this season. Few of his saves were just unreal. But this save just wins it for me. Top class save. Now with GK position sorted we need only one CM who can take us to next level.

If we dont get Javi Martinez, hopefully we try for Even Banega. He has got some ability to retain the possession even when under pressure. Would love to see him playing for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    He has been brilliant for us this season. Few of his saves were just unreal. But this save just wins it for me. Top class save. Now with GK position sorted we need only one CM who can take us to next level.

If we dont get Javi Martinez, hopefully we try for Even Banega. He has got some ability to retain the possession even when under pressure. Would love to see him playing for us.

Disagree, United need 2 CM and a LB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

lordgoat wrote: »
    Also down to 9 men...
    Damn,how did that happen??
    I thought all the decisions are made to benefit us :confused:

G.K. wrote: »
    Disagree, United need 2 CM and a LB.

I still have faith in Anderson and Carrick is good enough imo. Not to forget the likes of Cleverley.

Some say we need to replace both our CMs but for me one would do.

I still have faith in Anderson and Carrick is good enough imo. Not to forget the likes of Cleverley.

Some say we need to replace both our CMs but for me one would do.

Not for Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

how people still have faith in anderson in beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Anderson consistently flatters to deceive... Great few games, shiite for a few more - seems to be a recurring theme.

I for one wouldn't be too upset to see him moved on - hard to see him coming back to haunt us if he does go somewhere else, imo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I don't anyway.I don't doubt his ability,his injury record and inconsistency is enough for me to get rid.
    They may be interlinked and he has shown good signs when he is fit for a while but it's taking up a CM position that could be filled with somebody more reliable.

Not for Europe.

Worked well since 2006 ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United's Midfield,

Anderson?

It must me Monday..............

redzerdrog wrote: »

When he got run of games he did well. He is bit unlucky with injuries.

I dont see anything wrong in having faith on 23 yeard old Midfielder. All he needs is injury free season and there are many players who were average when they were 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Wouldn't be surprised if Anderson was moved on in the summer. It's not just his inconsistency, his attitude seems off also (car crash incident).

I would love to see him prove us wrong however ala Jonny Evans. Must learn that these players (especially those under Ferguson) have a habit of having a break-out season all of a sudden and then kick on from there.

Anyway, a little off topic but who else here is just smiling a like a Cheshire cat following those results? Madness. And Liverpool in such bother too...as Fergie would say "Dearie me" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Just go back and look at Anderson's performances at the start of the season, he had a great partnership with Cleverley. He definitely deserves time to prove himself, he has been very unlucky with injuries over the last few years.

Worked well since 2006 ;)

Worked well against Barca, Bilbao, Basel, Benfica, Ajax, didn't he...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

who did play well for United this season in Europe? Anyone? Anyone at all?

Not bossing the game against the Barcelona midfield. Better sell him. Who to buy though.... not a single player in the spanish league and no midfielder to have played in the Champions League over the last 3 years.

Tough scouting process ahead.

Carrick has been one of the standout performers for us this season. There are a large number of players we should be looking to replace before Carrick's name is even thought of.

Who is one CM who dominated Barca? I can't think of any who are realistic targets, if ever the player exists.

Probably our only player who played well against Benfica, Basel.

Against Ajax he played only away leg and we were comfortable winners. He didn't play home leg.

• Advertisement

who did play well for United this season in Europe? Anyone? Anyone at all?

Not bossing the game against the Barcelona midfield. Better sell him. Who to buy though.... not a single player in the spanish league and no midfielder to have played in the Champions League over the last 3 years.

Tough scouting process ahead.

Carrick has been one of the standout performers for us this season. There are a large number of players we should be looking to replace before Carrick's name is even thought of.

I'm not advocating selling him, I'm simply saying he needs to be improved on in order for United to challenge in Europe again. I think he's a top end CM for the EPL, and he should be used as much as possible domestically, just not Europe, where he's utterly unsuitable against the pressing opposition who are becoming more and more frequent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm not advocating selling him, I'm simply saying he needs to be improved on in order for United to challenge in Europe again. I think he's a top end CM for the EPL, and he should be used as much as possible domestically, just not Europe, where he's utterly unsuitable against the pressing opposition who are becoming more and more frequent.

but you could say the same for everyone at United. we don't do well against a pressing side, no one on our team does. No one at all.

If we signed a couple of top CMs in the summer and Carrick lost his place as a result of competition for places, I wouldn't mind - that is life at a top club.

I simply don't think Carrick should be the focus of change - there are other midfielders already at the club that would be out the door/team before him. Anderson, Fletcher for a start. Cleverley hasn't proved himself either. Giggs has been poor, imo, in central midfield this season. Scholes and Carrick have been the two consistent performers we have had this season in central midfield. Those two, and Cleverley (on what I believe he can do) would be the 3 i'd certainly keep - the rest are expendable from a central midfield point of view.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ajax

u17

just gone 1 up against ajax after scoring a peach of a team goal.

lordgoat wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ajax

u17

just gone 1 up against ajax after scoring a peach of a team goal.

2 now

but you could say the same for everyone at United. we don't do well against a pressing side, no one on our team does. No one at all.

If we signed a couple of top CMs in the summer and Carrick lost his place as a result of competition for places, I wouldn't mind - that is life at a top club.

I simply don't think Carrick should be the focus of change - there are other midfielders already at the club that would be out the door/team before him. Anderson, Fletcher for a start. Cleverley hasn't proved himself either. Giggs has been poor, imo, in central midfield this season. Scholes and Carrick have been the two consistent performers we have had this season in central midfield. Those two, and Cleverley (on what I believe he can do) would be the 3 i'd certainly keep - the rest are expendable from a central midfield point of view.

agreed.

Maybe its just that we havent seen any of him over the last while but I think you are doing Fletch a massive disservice there Mitch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I love it when people accuse this thread of being a "circle-jerk" when everybody disagrees with them.

Newsflash: We dont gang up on people, we done have cliques, we just love to call out people who are talking out of their bum-hole.

(This is what I came on to post)

Did anyone else think that Fergie was crazy harsh on the players in his post match interview, saying that they had taken their foot off the gas too much after QPR went down to 10?

He really does keep spurring them on relentlessly at times. I suspect he goes easier on them earlier in the season on purpose and then starts ramping up his demands during the run in.

(But since the CM debate is back again I'll say my bit)

Nobody is asking for a player who can or has bossed the Barca midfield.

No, he really hasn't.

He has played a lot of games, but that proves nothing - hello Mr Evra. On the pitch, other than defensively, he still hasn't done an impressive job. Sitting deep and making easy passes when being put under no pressure by the majority of dross PL teams is not being a standout player. And he always still fails when teams press high up the pitch.

That's because the rest of the team are starved of possession. When the opposition are pressing our central midfield is never good enough to keep a hold of possession and then the forwards have to live off scraps and the defenders are overrun.
    Saying that no one plays well when the opposition puts us under pressure misses the point that there is a critical failure in the middle which leads to a cascade of other problems because of the poor possession and lack of passing options in our central midfield.

Rooney, Welbeck, Valencia, Nani, Young, Rio, Evans, Smalling, Evra, DDG, Scholes and Cleverley are all very skilled at controlling the ball in tight situations and they can live with that type of pressure as well as most top players in their respective positions. It's Carrick who is the weak link in possession in the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

1333904212057.gif

Pro. F wrote: »

No, he really hasn't.

He has played a lot of games, but that proves nothing - hello Mr Evra. On the pitch, other than defensively, he still hasn't done an impressive job. Sitting deep and making easy passes when being put under no pressure by the majority of dross PL teams is not being a standout player. And he always still fails when teams press high up the pitch.

change the record, Carrick has been vital the season, without him there is no way we'd be anywhere near the top of the table.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement