Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

So what's everyone's views on Scholes for next season? I reckon keep him on but don't play him till late Dec/Early January, no reason why we can't get another quality season outta the guy that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

scudzilla wrote: »
    So what's everyone's views on Scholes for next season? I reckon keep him on but don't play him till late Dec/Early January, no reason why we can't get another quality season outta the guy that way

I think we should cryogenically freeze him until we find the cure for old age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Play him in the CL Group stage, but no EPL till 2nd half of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I think we should cryogenically freeze him until we find the cure for old age.

A bit harsh on his family me thinks. Probably easier and quicker to wait for his oldest kid to come of age.

TheTownie wrote: »
    A bit harsh on his family me thinks. Probably easier and quicker to wait for his oldest kid to come of age.

Ah sure just freeze them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Ah sure just freeze them too.

Collateral damage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Copper pipes bank holiday giggle:

The Titanic cost £200m. So did Liverpool's current side. One is a sinking ship.....The other was the Titanic.

And for those of you who dont recall the last bank holiday here is a link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77672970#post77672970

The Titanic cost $7.5m ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Samich wrote: »

Even with that kind of money Dalglish couldn't buy success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

It's probably adjusted for inflation! you'd only get a decent yacht for that price these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

KevLeppard wrote: »
    Agreed, defo prefer Hernandez as first choice striker, along side Rooney.

+1, Welbeck has had some bad misses recently which worries me. Link up play is great, but his primary role is to put the ball in the net. So his recent allergy to scoring goals is worrying, but he's young and hopefully he will work on and improve clinical finishing for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

zerks wrote: »
    Strootman is completely different to De Jong,he doesn't just sit deep,tackle then pass the ball 5 yards.He covers the whole pitch,a bit like Keano did in his prime and at only 21 he's the type of player United are targeting.

He is a tragedy in defence and is a lazy sod. Obviously, is good on the ball but is one footed and just doesn't seem very astute at the moment. He has done well and probably over-achieved with the hype on him currently but he will end up a good player.

I think if we should be looking at hitting a deal for Kagawa or Gotze. Especially considering Kagawa is stalling on a new deal, at least up to last week he was and Gotze has been in and out of the team with injuries. Granted Gotze will probably end up staying at Dortmund, I think Kagawa may be interested in a move. A move like that allows Rooney to move up the pitch further and provides us with a quality attacking midfielder.

I don't think we need to be nurturing a player like Strootman. I think a quality addition is what's needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

more Liverpool/Dalglish jokes and comments, really lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Trilla wrote: »
    more Liverpool/Dalglish jokes and comments, really lads?

It's still funny tbf :pac:

I also think fergie will go out to buy a great midfielder this summer, probably around the 10-15 million mark. Can't see him splashing huge amounts of cash.

Martinez is top of the list I think, Fergie has faced him and been outclassed by his side this season and I'm sure some of the Utd players have talked about some of the Atletico players. Remember the Ronaldo signing? Someone bookmark this post for when he signs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I also think fergie will go out to buy a great midfielder this summer, probably around the 10-15 million mark. Can't see him splashing huge amounts of cash.

Martinez is top of the list I think, Fergie has faced him and been outclassed by his side this season and I'm sure some of the Utd players have talked about some of the Atletico players. Remember the Ronaldo signing? Someone bookmark this post for when he signs ;)
    Does not compute...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

It's still funny tbf :pac:

And you think Martinez can be got for 10-15 mill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

There would be more than United after Martinez should he become available. Likely he would stay in Spain too if given the chance (no proof of that just a guess!)

Price would be around the £20m mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I love Gary Neville, I think this tweet is brilliant!
    G.Neville ‏ @GNev2 @rioferdy5: Does my head in when people wee on the toilet seat...look at it then leave it there like its normal...nasty” How is Wazza?

There would be more than United after Martinez should he become available. Likely he would stay in Spain too if given the chance (no proof of that just a guess!)

More around the £30m - £40m I'd say, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

He could possibly sign for one of the big 2 in Spain for that price; should he however decide to move to another league in Europe it will be for a fee much closer to or possibly in excess of £30m IMO.

He's very hot property at the moment and he's on a lot of radars too I would imagine.

I would love to see Utd sign him but would be very surprised to see it happen.

Nowadays for Utd to sign players of that quality we have to snap them up before they start to blossom.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Today I was told that because United get more decisions in their favour than any other club - its causing non United fans to turn away from Football! It wasn't the bad decisions but the fact United get them that was turning non United fans away from the game.

I laughed and said if anyone really thinks United get more than every other club they should open their eyes and look at more football. United have a big profile, get headlines so some people would think united get more decisions but in reality all clubs get bad decisions for and against them.

The reply was I would say that as i'm a united fan but its a fact United get more decisions than anyone else.

A fact!

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Today I was told that because United get more decisions in their favour than any other club - its causing non United fans to turn away from Football! It wasn't the bad decisions but the fact United get them that was turning non United fans away from the game.

I laughed and said if anyone really thinks United get more than every other club they should open their eyes and look at more football. United have a big profile, get headlines so some people would think united get more decisions but in reality all clubs get bad decisions for and against them.

The reply was I would say that as i'm a united fan but its a fact United get more decisions than anyone else.

A fact!

You sure it wasn't a fhact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I wonder is there a chance of seeing le pog tonight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I wonder is there a chance of seeing le pog tonight
    Considering there's no match tonight, I'd say the odds aren't good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Quandary wrote: »
    He could possibly sign for one of the big 2 in Spain for that price; should he however decide to move to another league in Europe it will be for a fee much closer to or possibly in excess of £30m IMO.

He's very hot property at the moment and he's on a lot of radars too I would imagine.

Nowadays for Utd to sign players of that quality we have to snap them up before they start to blossom.

And this is what will wind me up when he does toddle off somewhere else, he has been talked about here for at least 2 probably 3 years now, not with such regularity as he is these days of course, but his name has been popping up for some time, and you can be sure that if posters here were aware of him then the scouts at United were bloody aware of him too!

Of course he may not have wanted to leave at a younger age, may not want to leave now I guess..

Quandary wrote: »

His price will increase with the likely hood of him being involved with the Spanish National team pretty soon. A few caps always drives up the fee.

I disagree with your point about his price being higher to see abroad. Surely it would be higher for him to go to one of the Big Two no? Im sure they would rather sell abroad surely?

Either way, I cant see it happening. Fergie seems to be pulling out of the market with regards large sums of money buys (Sneijder maybe, though we obviously came up short somewhere in that deal). Cant see us going above £20m with any of our targets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Was looking through the daily transfer muppetry, and apparently we're in for some keeper for £3m. WTF??? Has to be a joke >_>

DB21 wrote: »
    Was looking through the daily transfer muppetry, and apparently we're in for some keeper for £3m. WTF??? Has to be a joke >_>

Surely a youngster? Would'nt know with Fergie and GK's...look at Zieler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Considering there's no match tonight, I'd say the odds aren't good.

Please ignore that bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If Javi Martinez was available, and available at a reasonable price, he'd be long gone by now. Long gone.

But he's not so that's obviously not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Surely Mata and Silva were both more highly rated than Martinez, and they both only signed for the 25-26million bracket.

• Advertisement

Different situation tbh. Valencia were in dire straits financially, they had to sell and everyone knew.

that could be the case but even with Santi Cazorla, he went to malaga for only 15mill or something and hes very highly rated as well, hes a little older but still seems a great deal for someone like that

bullvine wrote: »
    that could be the case but even with Santi Cazorla, he went to malaga for only 15mill or something and hes very highly rated as well, hes a little older but still seems a great deal for someone like that

United also have to pay the United tax on each player.

Aye, the United Tax, think Park was the only deal when we didnt pay that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Aye, the United Tax, think Park was the only deal when we didnt pay that!

Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

DB21 wrote: »

Yeah saw this on manutd.com earlier. Birmingham City's Jack Butland. Represented England all the way up to U21, but has no senior appearances for Birmingham.

Read here

• Advertisement

So these are our remaining games:

11/4 - Wigan (A)
    15/4 - Aston Villa (H)
    22/4 - Everton (H)
    30/4 - Man City (A)
    6/5 - Swansea (H)
    13/5 - Sunderland (H)

We need 11 points to be assured of victory assuming City win all their games.

Still some tricky games ahead folks. Wigan were robbed at Chelsea and should of won and Everton have won 3 out of their last 4. Aston Villa and City are in similar form while Swansea and Sunderland have stagnated after a recent good spell of form.

City have:
    11/4 - West Brom (H)
    14/4 - Norwich (A)
    22/4 - Wolves (A)
    30/4 - Man Utd (H)
    6/5 - Newcastle (A)
    13/5 - QPR (H)

I'd at least expect them to drop 4 points in that period.

The title certainly isn't over, particularly if we slip up at Wigan tomorrow the players could get a bit nervous. But I fully expect Sir Alex to not let any complacency set in. Personally, I can see us being fairly ruthless on Wednesday. City are at their lowest point of the season. The fans are questioning Mancini and his decision to baby Balotelli and bring back cult zero Tevez.

The season won't be complete, for me, without a victory over City in the league. Clinching the title in the council grounds would be hilarious.

Oh, the value in Spain is much better than England for sure. If Javi Martinez was English you'd be talking around £50m :pac:

It's such a pity Wilshere seems so loyal to Arsenal, he would be PERFECT for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

So these are our remaining games:

11/4 - Wigan (A)
    15/4 - Aston Villa (H)
    22/4 - Everton (H)
    30/4 - Man City (A)
    6/5 - Swansea (H)
    13/5 - Sunderland (A)

One correction. I can't see us dropping too many points and City away to Norwich has a draw written all over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ah ya, but didnt he have a clause in his contract?

ill get my coat:o

• Advertisement

One correction. I can't see us dropping too many points and City away to Norwich has a draw written all over it

I sense West Brom will come close to taking something off them tomorrow as well.

AFAIK, they have the third or fourth best away record in the division, are just off the back of a 3-0 win and the City players have hit a brick wall. Sunderland getting a result at the Etihad last week should give them belief as well.

City will probably still win but it won't be straightforward imo.

ah ya, but didnt he have a clause in his contract?

ill get my coat:o

Wonderful!

His price will increase with the likely hood of him being involved with the Spanish National team pretty soon. A few caps always drives up the fee.

I disagree with your point about his price being higher to see abroad. Surely it would be higher for him to go to one of the Big Two no? Im sure they would rather sell abroad surely?

Either way, I cant see it happening. Fergie seems to be pulling out of the market with regards large sums of money buys (Sneijder maybe, though we obviously came up short somewhere in that deal). Cant see us going above £20m with any of our targets.

Whether we want to admit it or not, right now in the world of football Real or Barca are the preferred destination clubs for most european players. IMO, for that reason, a club is more likely to lose a star youngster to them for a lower price because players will push extra hard for the move to happen. The player gets unsettled otherwise and causes a headache for the club. In the long run, if Barca or Real want a player and th player wants the move, then it's going to happen.

Ronaldo was an exception of course, but then he was and still is regarded by many as one of the best 2 players in the world and was always going to go for huge money anyway.

If we look at Fabregas for example. He desperately wanted the move to Barca. Arsenal did everything in their power to keep him but in the end got the move he wanted. Barca ended up paying £29m (iirc). for a young player of his quality that was pittance IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Mitch,

any idea who is leading the way for POTY so far based on average ratings or is that not so easy to see without a bit of work?

i dont vote as much as i like, mainly as its normally the following day after games that im online and by then people are normally talking about something else.

Surely a youngster? Would'nt know with Fergie and GK's...look at Zieler.

Andy_Goram_1812683i.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

^^2 for 1 bargain that was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

How do we think we'll line out tomorrow?

While I realise it's 2 game in 4 days, I really hope we leave the squad rotation for the villa game. I'd like us to start with the same line up as Sunday, except Hernandez in for Welbeck...
    De Gea
    Raf Rio Evans Evra
    Valencia Carrick Scoles Young
    Chico Rooney

...with the plan being get the game wrapped up by the 60th minute!! Then give Cleverley & Nani a run out, maybe Pogba too if things go swimmingly...

Then I'd hope Smalling, Cleverley & Nani to start against Villa, but I think Fergie will stick with experience for the rest of the season meaning Carrick starting alongside either Giggs or Scholes with Cleverley only coming off the bench.

Be nice if we could rest Rio, Scholes and the likes.

I've a feeling Smalling will start, and maybe Giggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I expect the away fans to be in great voice once again tomorrow night. Whole stand to themselves, love to be going:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

What's the situation with Nani atm?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement