Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It's Bilbao lads.
    Bilboa was Rocky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

cambo2008 wrote: »
    It's Bilbao lads.

Bilbao was fairly rocky for us too :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Trilla wrote: »
    You're very passionate about this Pro. F!

He's right though.

At United we should always be striving to have a top tier player, or a player with the potential to be top tier, in our starting 11.

Carrick is neither so could be improved upon. That's not 'bashing' Carrick or ignoring all the good work he's done this season, that's just an obvious fact to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Yet extremely wrong. Blamining Carrick for inexperience and nervousness that caused up to be pressed so highly is wrong. Any midfielder will suffer under such pressure.

Carrick is one of our better players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

cambo2008 wrote: »
    It's Bilbao lads.

Rocky Balboa :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

alproctor wrote: »
    Bilbao was fairly rocky for us too :cool:
    i-see-what-you-did-there-and-i-like-it-thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

What pisses me off most about the constant Carrick bashing is that he is genuinely the only midfielder at the club you could honestly say with a degree of certain will still be a good player for us 2013/14.

Giggs - likely retired.
    Scholes - likely retired.
    Anderson - could well be sold, consistently a hole lot sh1ter than Carrick.
    Cleverley - who knows, injured maybe, world class maybe.
    Pogba - here, at Juve, good, great, crap, who knows?
    Fletcher - possibly retired through illness.
    Norwood - gone.
    James - gone.
    Tunnicliffe - who knows, same as Pogba to be honest, anything could happen.

But yeah, lets make sure we get rid of and replace Carrick, he is clearly the one to be getting rid of.

Mitch, being better than our other defensive central midfield options is not at all impressive.

And it has already been pointed out to you that nobody is saying we should get rid of Carrick. The only thing that is being suggested is that he be improved upon in the first team.
    alproctor wrote: »
    My tuppence re: Carrick

He's not a world beater, he's not world class. What he is is a very, very effective player, he has been, without question, one of our best performers this season. I completely disagree with anyone who questions that, but that's why we are on this thread - to voice opinions and to hear others.

You can pick out any game you like, and you will find players that haven't performed - To pick out Carrick because he was poor against Barca, or even Newcastle or Norwich, is unfair on him, as he has, across the course of the season been excellent for us, and a vital part of us getting this close to winning the league.

de Gea was poor in some games, but has generally been excellent.
    Some would say Valencia perhaps started slowly, but has been a revelation overall.
    Evans was being written off early in the season, but has pushed himself into the running for POTY with his more recent performances.

My point is this, each players contribution should be taken over the course of the season, and for the impact he has made on the season for us - to focus on 3 or 4 games where he has been below par is unfair. Would we be where we are in the league if Carrick hadn't played at all - No where near in my opinion.

As regards Carrick in Europe, Carrick played 11 of the 13 games in Europe last season, in which we were only beaten by the best club team there has ever been, who possibly have the best midfield trio we'll ever see - no shame in that. At all...

He's a fine footballer, and has been absolutely vital for us this season.

The reason those games against Newcastle, Spurs and Norwich are important is because they are the perfect example of his flaws being exposed. Yes any of our other players can have off days, but if you know the opposition are going to pressure high up the pitch then you can guarantee that Carrick will struggle. That is a problem.

There is also the fact that the team don't keep and use possession nearly as well when we have players like Carrick in the middle. The transformation between our use of possession in the early season and later is stark.

It's just the nature of the argument. The views are diametrically opposed and the evidence is football, which is fun to watch.

Also, I've got too much time on my hands :)

Blatter wrote: »
    He's right though.

At United we should always be striving to have a top tier player, or a player with the potential to be top tier, in our starting 11.

Carrick is neither so could be improved upon. That's not 'bashing' Carrick or ignoring all the good work he's done this season, that's just an obvious fact to me.

All of our first 11 could be improved upon with the exception of a fully fit Valencia and Vidic. That's extremely obvious. Everybody here wants to see United have the best first eleven. But that's not going to happen. There aren't that many great CMs that we could get that would be better than Carrick. All this is blatantly obvious. There is no mystery about it. In fact, the only fact that you can take from this retarded debate is how completely naive some football fans are. Some fans have just decided to hate Carrick and that's fair enough. But selecting him for criticism above far more deserving candidates at our club is crazy.

This is a guy who has been in a team that has reached 3 Champions League Finals and 4 (5?) Premier Leagues in 6 years. I'll have Michael Carrick for a while yet thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Yet extremely wrong. Blamining Carrick for inexperience and nervousness that caused up to be pressed so highly is wrong.
    I never said that he caused us to be pressed high. Pressing up the pitch is a tactic that those teams obviously chose before the games started. I even predicted that Norwich might do it. I'm blaming Carrick for not dealing with it properly because that's an important part of his job.
    And that invites even more pressure, but that's a different thing.
    Any midfielder will suffer under such pressure.

The good ones won't suffer as badly as Carrick does and will be able to overcome the pressure to help their team out. Most teams at the level that we want to be at have players in Carrick's role who are better in possession than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Id like to see Cleverly and Wellbeck both start tonight, they seem to have a fantastic understanding with each other and we havnt (least I don't think we have?) really seen them both play since the Comunity shield (apart for late cameos)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Man it is kinda negative in here today.
    I suppose thats what happens when you are a mid table team with nothing to play for...... oh wait!!!

Carrick will always show his limitations when he is pressed in possession.
    What annoys me is people claiming he only plays 5 yard passes. He actually has a great range of passing but knows when to use it and when not to. He does not force passes in general. You don't need to with Sat Nav playing beside you.

As average as our midfield is, I don't believe it needs rebuilding, more so just an addition or two.

All of our first 11 could be improved upon with the exception of a fully fit Valencia and Vidic. That's extremely obvious.

I look at the United team and we have a few top tier players, and a lot that have the potential to be top tier.

De Gea, Rafael, Evans, Fabio, Jones, Smalling, Cleverley, Welbeck etc. all have the potential to be top tier.

Rooney, Nani, Vidic, Valencia already are.

Michael Carrick is not, never has been and never will be top tier. He is very good defensively but he just doesn't have the ball skills to be ever classed as a high quality CM.
    Everybody here wants to see United have the best first eleven. But that's not going to happen.

I never said anything about having the best first 11, I said a first 11 full of top tier players, and yes that is achievable.

Between 07-09 if we had someone like Xabi Alonso in midfield instead of Carrick our entire first 11 would have been top tier.
    There aren't that many great CMs that we could get that would be better than Carrick. All this is blatantly obvious.

Yes there are. If we had someone like Fellaini or Vidal in CM instead of Carrick this season, they'd be getting just as many plaudits.

There is no mystery about it. In fact, the only fact that you can take from this retarded debate is how completely naive some football fans are. Some fans have just decided to hate Carrick and that's fair enough. But selecting him for criticism above far more deserving candidates at our club is crazy.

Who has decided to 'hate' on Carrick. People can criticise or comment on who they want, when they want. Just because you think others are more deserving of criticsm (and I agree, there are), doesn't mean that we can't discuss Carrick.

This is a guy who has been in a team that has reached 3 Champions League Finals and 4 (5?) Premier Leagues in 6 years. I'll have Michael Carrick for a while yet thanks very much.

This doesn't prove anything in isolation. This just means Carrick was in a very good team, it doesn't mean he himself is a top tier player. Park Ji Sung played most of those games too, does that mean he was a great player that couldn't have been improved upon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Some people can never be satisfied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Whatever about Carrick, De Gea has been an unmitigated disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

article-2128084-128BAB13000005DC-984_964x554.jpg

Scholes looks like a kid on a school trip you just wants it to end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Evra dont look too happy either!!!!

@Magicmaker that is a serious load of bull!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Berbatov wearing a different tshirt from everyone else, just because

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Look at the big 'derp' head on Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Fuhrer wrote: »

pic

I know its the weird lens or whatever, but look at Smalling and especially DDG compared to Giggs. They look like pro wrestlers. #colossal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

racso1975 wrote: »

hook.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

DDG is clearly standing on the phone book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

racso1975 wrote: »

:pac:

Search for Sean Bateman and De Gea in this thread. You'll see how that phrase came about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jesus the camera really does not suit Jones:pac:

Anyway nervous about tonight. Think we will win, but it's ours to throw away now.

The one good advantage about playing Wigan(bar our great head to head record) is that they like play football to extent and this will suit us more then team parking the bus for 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Hoping nani gets some mins tonight when on song such an exciting player to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Keno 92 wrote: »

That lad makes some amazing videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

DDG looks like he has been hitting the weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He's right though.

Well if you look this started because someone was bashing Carrick and ignoring the good work he has done this season.

Nobody on here that I have seen has ever said he was a world beater. Acknowledging his contribution this season is not saying he could not be improved upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

article-2128084-128BAB13000005DC-984_964x554.jpg

whats that pic for? if taken today, i assume thats the squad tonight and nani isnt in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

whats that pic for? if taken today, i assume thats the squad tonight and nani isnt in it!

Id say its from that golf retreat last week

• Advertisement

Yeah that was taken in St. Andrews, Scotland.

What kind of face is Jones pulling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Berbatov does whatever he likes on these kind of trips. He just doesn't give a shít.

dimitar-berbatov-manchester-united+cropped

Berbatov-White-House.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jones should wear a mask like the wrestler Kane did years ago
    its the only solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

http://liverpool-news2012.blogspot.com/view/timeslide?z

Anyone find anything kinda funny on this page? :P

Samich wrote: »
    http://liverpool-news2012.blogspot.com/view/timeslide?z

Anyone find anything kinda funny on this page? :P

The Top Teams title?

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The Top Teams title?

Andy Carrolls description :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Also looks much shorter than I thought he was...

Julez wrote: »
    Also looks much shorter than I thought he was...

Small?......Or faaar away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

kryogen wrote: »
    Well if you look this started because someone was bashing Carrick and ignoring the good work he has done this season.

Nobody on here that I have seen has ever said he was a world beater. Acknowledging his contribution this season is not saying he could not be improved upon.

Come on, I was doing nothing of the sort - I called him a top class EPL CM. He's been good in the EPL this season, but the reason is because he's not being pressed. In Europe, and against Norwich, Spurs and Newcastle, he's been put under pressure, and suprise suprise, he's performed worse. He reads the game well, can play a nice range of passes, but his on the ball skills (especially under pressure) are his problem, and with the nature of the game these days, that's perhaps the most fundamental quality for players who will come under lots of pressure.

The Arsenal pen and sending off V wolves is similar to the young one v QPR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

It seems Phil Jones is made from glass, another knock picked up tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anyone have a link to one of those articles posted a little while back which listed all dodgy decisions for and against United this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

In before the doom mongering.

Poor performance, deserved nothing.

We're still 5 points clear, keep calm and carry on

Everybody was shocking. Some absolute mind boggling decisions from Fergie. Cleverley and Giggs were absolutely appalling. Valencia had a shocker. Fergie had an absolutely shocking game. Didn't deal with our problems at all.

Disgraceful performance. Villa can't come quick enough.

Dreadful display from United. Refs didn't help but the better team won. Fair play Wigan.

One of those nights was well overdue tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I just cant understand the reason of dropping Rafael and Scholes. We needed somebody to hold onto the ball tonight and Rafa and Valencia have a great partnership. Villa is an easier game they should have been rested for that instead. Just shocking league not over yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

These games happen in the run in. We werent going to win all from now til the end. Keep the faith and we move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Why the hell was Valencia tucked in so much tonight. Seemed to be a tactical decision to me; f**ked if I know why.

Normally he's stuck to the touchline, but Jones was out there more than him.

We were truly awful all over the pitch. No complaints on losing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

One of those nights was well overdue tbh.

scholes doesnt play and we go back back to our pre scholes s*it football.

worst performance from us all season, for the first 70 minutes, we were nothing short of putrid. played much better last 20 mins and i thought we would get a point, but wasnt to be.

awful awful stuff. fully deserved for wigan, though the goal came from a reffing mistake and united had the most blatant of penaltys not given at 1-0. but sure, we get all the decisions eh?

well done Wigan though, better team won.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement